Rumour - DAN HARDING

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

Rumour - DAN HARDING

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 11 Nov 2008 07:56

Reading think Dan's the man
DEREK DAVIS

Last updated: 11/11/2008 07:09:00

CHAMPIONSHIP high-flyers Reading are preparing a move for Ipswich Town outcast Dan Harding.

The Royals have been tracking the left back, who is on loan at Southend, and have asked Ipswich about his availability.

Reading boss Steve Coppell is a known admirer of the 25-year-old Harding and handed him his full debut while manager at Brighton.

Harding went on to play for England Under-21s and moved to Leeds United before arriving at Ipswich in the summer of 2006 as part of the deal that took Ian Westlake to Elland Road.

Although Reading signed left-back Chris Armstrong from Sheffield United in the summer and he is a regular in Coppell's side, it is understood they are looking for experienced back up.

Harding has settled in well at League One side Southend United, making 13 appearances so far with one goal.

Town refused permission for him to play for the Shrimpers in their FA Cup tie against AFC Telford on Saturday, allowing him to play in the third round in January if he moves from Roots Hall.

Harding played 78 games for Town and won a Player of The Year award in 2007 but lost his place to Sito Castro in the second half of last season and has not figured since.

Ben Thatcher was signed as a free agent after he left Charlton and, when he was injured, David Wright stepped into the left back berth with Harding joining Southend on loan.

He is one of 13 Town players out of contract next summer and is free to talk to other clubs in January, but Town could ask for a nominal fee.

Shrimpers boss Steve Tilson has been impressed with Harding and could counter Reading's bid with one of his own with the lure of a regular starting place at a club he has already settled into as his bait.

Coppell's Reading are looking for a rapid return to the Premier League and today sit in third place in the Championship, while Town are unlikely to make him a new contract offer.
Only site members can comment on this story.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: DAN HARDING

by Deathy » 11 Nov 2008 08:08

I watched him a few times at Leeds and he was terrible. Why on earth do we need a left back? He's isn't that far ahead of Golbourne and certianly no where near as good as Stretch.

Coppell - ex player - January approaching = toilet paper.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 11 Nov 2008 09:33

Coppell's judgement on a player >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any member of HNA's judgement of a player

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 11 Nov 2008 09:34

Greg Halford, Emerse Fae, Alan Bennett..... enough?

They may be good players, but not at the level we needed them/

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 11 Nov 2008 09:38

I'm not sure that those 3 names mean anyone on HNA is a better judge of a player than Steve Coppell !

You just have to look at some of the names people on here demand we sign !

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 11 Nov 2008 09:46

Sun Tzu I'm not sure that those 3 names mean anyone on HNA is a better judge of a player than Steve Coppell !

You just have to look at some of the names people on here demand we sign !

Gary Alexander, for example?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Nov 2008 10:39

rfcjoe Greg Halford, Emerse Fae, Alan Bennett..... enough?

They may be good players, but not at the level we needed them/

LOL

that list just keeps getting shorter!

agreed though, it sems we need to buy players a year before we need them so they can bed in, gain the benefit of the coaching here, then burst into the team a season later!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 11 Nov 2008 11:47

I can't see that one happening

Oh and Sam Sodje, John Halls

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 11 Nov 2008 11:55

Yep, they really broke the bank.

As would Harding I suppose, what with costing a 'minimal fee' and all. If Coppell thinks he'll be a good enough squad player then I can't see a problem.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 11 Nov 2008 12:09

I'm surprised that people can't distinguish between players who were bought and failed to live up to expectations and players who were bought to add a bit of depth to the squad.

Harford and Fae were flops (IMHO), Bennett, Sodje and Halls were not.

With a squad of 30 it's impossible for every one to be a first team regular and every squad will have players who simply never get needed. There was never any expectation IMHO that Sodje, Bennett or Halls would be more than bit part players.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 11 Nov 2008 12:17

Sun Tzu I'm surprised that people can't distinguish between players who were bought and failed to live up to expectations and players who were bought to add a bit of depth to the squad.

Harford and Fae were flops (IMHO), Bennett, Sodje and Halls were not.

With a squad of 30 it's impossible for every one to be a first team regular and every squad will have players who simply never get needed. There was never any expectation IMHO that Sodje, Bennett or Halls would be more than bit part players.

They were a total waste of time and money. You bring 'squad' players in like Duberry, Gunnarsson, De La Cruz or Makin people who are actually fairly decent, proven who can come in and do a steady job.

Sodje was 28 and never played above League 1 he was NEVER going to be good enough for the Premiership, We didn't need Halls at the time he came in, quickly established the 4th choice right back role and Bennett I still think was because we felt sorry for Cork!

To say those 3 haven't been flops is quite ridiculous, when you add wages, signing on fees etc the combined total will be around £1million for absolutely no benefit. Of course they were flops.

Back to the original thread, I don't see where he'd fit in, he's a left back we've got 2 of those, 3 if you include S Hunt so I'd be surprised to see him come here. Be better off looking for a decent 3rd striker or a possible left winger!

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 11 Nov 2008 12:44

They were a total waste of time and money, but not a lot of money and therefore worth the gamble you might say. (I mean the likes of Sodje, Bennett, Halls...)

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Nov 2008 13:23

Alan Partridge I can't see that one happening

damn, the list just got longer again! :evil:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 11 Nov 2008 13:32

brendywendy

In fairness no manager gets 100% of transfers right. Coppell and co have more than proved themselves at buying for the CHampionship in the way he's built teams in this league. His record in the Premiership i would say was more miss than hit i would say but it's not easy. But still can't dismiss it as 'oh they were only squad players anayway' because they were scouted and bought with the aim that they would be good enough for Premiership football, which they clearly weren't.

I was a big critic of our dealings last year, i think rightly so. It was the main reason we aren't still in the Premiership now imo, but Coppell and co are redeeming themselves again. N Hunt and Armstrong have been two superb signings thus far.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 11 Nov 2008 14:00

Alan Partridge I was a big critic of our dealings last year, i think rightly so. It was the main reason we aren't still in the Premiership now imo, but Coppell and co are redeeming themselves again. N Hunt and Armstrong have been two superb signings thus far.

Not forgetting Reading's "best player" of course :wink:

Do you think that Reading would have enough to stay in the Premier League if they say swapped Hunt N for Kitson and Armstrong for Shorey? On current form I'd have to argue that they would which means the signings can't have been that bad. IMO.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 11 Nov 2008 14:32

sheshnu
Alan Partridge I was a big critic of our dealings last year, i think rightly so. It was the main reason we aren't still in the Premiership now imo, but Coppell and co are redeeming themselves again. N Hunt and Armstrong have been two superb signings thus far.

Not forgetting Reading's "best player" of course :wink:

Do you think that Reading would have enough to stay in the Premier League if they say swapped Hunt N for Kitson and Armstrong for Shorey? On current form I'd have to argue that they would which means the signings can't have been that bad. IMO.

No I don't think we would survive, that's with the current squad. Kitson was proven in this league and did a good job in the Premiership for Reading, Noel Hunt has played here for 4 months. An excellent 4 months admittedly, but Kitson did it over years, ditto Shorey.

Reading's technically best player is Matejovsky, at the time of signing I'd never heard of him, a full Czech international so the pedigree was there, the question is would we see any of him because we saw next to none of Fae. Marek still has things to prove in a Reading shirt but the class is there you can see it.

The Premiership had a slightly false look to it because of how bad derby were, if you took them out, there was next to nothing between us, Birmingham and Fulham who were all really poor sides last season, then there was a wee bit of a gap. Reading weren't good enough to remain in the Premiership and the squad now (imo of course) is no better than what we had last season. If we manage to get ourselves back up there it will be a lot harder for us to stay there this time than it was the last time and we'd simply have to invest a bit of money into the side.

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

by AlexY25 » 11 Nov 2008 14:57

It'd be a big blow to Goldbourne if he came in.

It would be almost definite he would be gone if Harding comes in.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Nov 2008 14:58

Alan Partridge
brendywendy

In fairness no manager gets 100% of transfers right. Coppell and co have more than proved themselves at buying for the CHampionship in the way he's built teams in this league. His record in the Premiership i would say was more miss than hit i would say but it's not easy. But still can't dismiss it as 'oh they were only squad players anayway' because they were scouted and bought with the aim that they would be good enough for Premiership football, which they clearly weren't.

I was a big critic of our dealings last year, i think rightly so. It was the main reason we aren't still in the Premiership now imo, but Coppell and co are redeeming themselves again. N Hunt and Armstrong have been two superb signings thus far.

id also say that i reckon some of it wont just be the difference in the leagues

rosenior, kebe, cisse, et al are all improving also

golbourne looked quite impressive for the reserves when i bunked off to watch them the other day

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 11 Nov 2008 15:28

We all know the sort of signings Coppell is good at making and we all know the sort of signings he is bad at. IE players who will come in and have an impact on a Premiership club.

Coppell would admit so himself, which is why he'll walk away a legend at the end of the season having got us back up.

And what a legend he will leave. A strong and improving squad, which while needing additions, certainly won't need big changes.

chandog

by chandog » 11 Nov 2008 15:53

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe We all know the sort of signings Coppell is good at making and we all know the sort of signings he is bad at. IE players who will come in and have an impact on a Premiership club.

Coppell would admit so himself, which is why he'll walk away a legend at the end of the season having got us back up.

And what a legend he will leave. A strong and improving squad, which while needing additions, certainly won't need big changes.

agreed
i cant see coppell staying for next season regardless of whether we get promoted or not