SPECULATION - Charlie Austin

483 posts
Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

SPECULATION - Charlie Austin

by Kitson12 » 23 Dec 2009 00:16

The Brett Pitman thread got me thinking, fairly young lad @ 20, former Reading trainee, scored 46 in 46 games for Poole Town last season and has score 5 in 5 (+2) appearances for Swindon Town this season.
http://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10341~49603,00.html
However, I guess he would fall under the three clubs in a year? Or does that not count because he was non-league for one of those clubs?

Holding Out Hope

Re: Charlie Austin

by Holding Out Hope » 23 Dec 2009 00:22

He's going to be a top, top player one day, and if he leaves Swindon anytime soon it will be for someone alot better/bigger than us

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 23 Dec 2009 09:04

Holding Out Hope He's going to be a top, top player one day, and if he leaves Swindon anytime soon it will be for someone alot better/bigger than us

Why would it? He hasn't done nearly enough to assume that. Coming to Reading would be seen as a punt on our half, and a big move for him.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 23 Dec 2009 22:43

(.)Boobies(.)
Holding Out Hope He's going to be a top, top player one day, and if he leaves Swindon anytime soon it will be for someone alot better/bigger than us

Why would it? He hasn't done nearly enough to assume that. Coming to Reading would be seen as a punt on our half, and a big move for him.

For teams that maybe swapping places ??

He is as good as most of our strikers and i have only seen him play 3 times.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

Re: SPECULATION - Charlie Austin

by Big Foot » 28 Dec 2009 00:38

Why's he a former Reading trainee then?

Boyband

by Boyband » 31 Dec 2009 11:52

Another one to slip through the net, along with the likes of Walcott, etc. Have seen in today's papers, he's being linked with Derby, Forest and Ipswich.

Up until Hammond paid a substantial compensation fee for Simon Church, Austin was a star striker and was rated as a great prospect. Church came in and had to play majority of the game each week to justify the money they spent on him. This coupled with 2 or 3 more sub-standard Hammond signings, all of whom commanded compensation fees to release them from their clubs, upset Austin who eventually became disillusioned with Reading and decided to move on.

Church is the only one of the 4 signings that has come through the ranks and made it in the first although I've always maintained that Austin was/is much more of a goalscorer and the stats don't lie.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Dec 2009 12:10

Young player slips through net shocker - happens at every single club.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 31 Dec 2009 12:15

Kitson12 The Brett Pitman thread got me thinking, fairly young lad @ 20, former Reading trainee, scored 46 in 46 games for Poole Town last season and has score 5 in 5 (+2) appearances for Swindon Town this season.
http://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10341~49603,00.html
However, I guess he would fall under the three clubs in a year? Or does that not count because he was non-league for one of those clubs?

As of Jan 1st it's a new year anyway....

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 31 Dec 2009 12:17

Boyband Another one to slip through the net, along with the likes of Walcott, etc. Have seen in today's papers, he's being linked with Derby, Forest and Ipswich.

Up until Hammond paid a substantial compensation fee for Simon Church, Austin was a star striker and was rated as a great prospect. Church came in and had to play majority of the game each week to justify the money they spent on him. This coupled with 2 or 3 more sub-standard Hammond signings, all of whom commanded compensation fees to release them from their clubs, upset Austin who eventually became disillusioned with Reading and decided to move on.

Church is the only one of the 4 signings that has come through the ranks and made it in the first although I've always maintained that Austin was/is much more of a goalscorer and the stats don't lie.

Is Hammond the Academy Director still ?

Surely it's Eamon Dolan who runs the Academy and is responsible for who they bring in and release ?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Dec 2009 12:28

Sun Tzu
Boyband Another one to slip through the net, along with the likes of Walcott, etc. Have seen in today's papers, he's being linked with Derby, Forest and Ipswich.

Surely it's Eamon Dolan who runs the Academy and is responsible for who they bring in and release ?

This would've all happened 5 or 6 years ago though Sun Tzu, surely you can piece that together.

No idea if the tale is that accurate or not, but I think the dates stack up. The inference is that the team selection was influenced by the money we'd paid out on bringing some of the players into the club and that's why Austin didn't make the grade.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 31 Dec 2009 13:23

Sun Tzu

I'm gonna take a wild guess that Boyband is either:

A: Charlie Austin

B: Was released from out youth set up when Hammond was in charge

Either way I'm quite happy with Church to be honest.

Boyband

by Boyband » 31 Dec 2009 13:47

Sun Tzu

I'm gonna take a wild guess that Boyband is either:

A: Charlie Austin

B: Was released from out youth set up when Hammond was in charge

Either way I'm quite happy with Church to be honest.

Neither of your wild guesses are technically correct.

Austin has made a great impact on League 1, something that Church has not done in either of his loan spells.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 31 Dec 2009 13:51

Not technically correct sounds to me that he's pretty close. You're his half-brother. :D

dobcheck

by dobcheck » 31 Dec 2009 14:25

Some players just develop at a slower rate and thats why they are let go. Fair play he has started well at Swindon but its only a start.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 31 Dec 2009 15:32

Austin looks a totally different player to Church as well.

Opinion within the game is that Austin will do well to make the step up, take away the goals and there's a lot of work to do.

Getting released is often the best thing that can happen to a player, fair play to the lad showed a comitment and determination to come back and prove people wrong.

Our academy actually does a fantastic job in looking after the players that don't make it.

Boyband

by Boyband » 31 Dec 2009 15:56

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Austin looks a totally different player to Church as well.

Opinion within the game is that Austin will do well to make the step up, take away the goals and there's a lot of work to do.

Getting released is often the best thing that can happen to a player, fair play to the lad showed a comitment and determination to come back and prove people wrong.

Our academy actually does a fantastic job in looking after the players that don't make it.

He didn't get released.

I agree, Church is a different type of player to Austin, but there is more to Austin than just his goals.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 31 Dec 2009 17:03

Boyband
Austin has made a great impact on League 1, something that Church has not done in either of his loan spells.

How has Austin done at international level ?

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 01 Jan 2010 21:08

Really? I very much doubt it - the thousands of Swindon fans im forced to speak to every day rate him, but not as highly as that - I've seen his goals on Points West, and they are a true stikers goals, you know, tap ins and poches - but no way is he any better than what we got currently and on his current actual quality on the pitch, is there anything to suggest he's going to be a top, top player, leaving Swindon for someone a lot better/bigger than us. he's just had a lot of good quality from his midfield - some thing our strikers are missing!

Boyband

by Boyband » 03 Jan 2010 19:22

Sun Tzu
Boyband

I'm sure he'd have been called up by now if he'd had any Welsh relatives!

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 03 Jan 2010 19:26

Boyband
Sun Tzu
Boyband

I'm sure he'd have been called up by now if he'd had any Welsh relatives!

Poor planning on the part of his ancestors I'd say....

483 posts