Fed in talks with Spurs

206 posts
Sydneyroyal

Fed in talks with Spurs

by Sydneyroyal » 14 May 2010 04:38

Think Fed might be going from what has been said here in Sydney,
especially if he does well in the World Cup.
Can't see him being Spurs' first choice though.

Dickie's Spear

Re: Fed in talks with Spurs

by Dickie's Spear » 14 May 2010 07:29

Hope this is wrong, he is an excellant keeper. I know his position is more easily replaced than in some other areas , but I think
he plays a pivotal part in the team morale and appears to be very popular behind the scenes with his squad-mates
So his going could be bad news on our results next year, especially as he played all games [excepting 17 minutes] of a full season at the expense of our other promising young keepers. He at least under Hahnemann had picked up quite a few games before moving into the No1 shirt a luxury Hamer, MacCarthy and Andersen have not had , being out on loan to other clubs is no substitute for the real thing.
If this does happen would you bring in a keeper or pick one of our three and if so which keeper?
I'd go for Mac Carthy and Andersen to battle it out.

Messiah
Location: Its not about your achievements in life, its about what you overcome

by Messiah » 14 May 2010 08:17

Sydneyroyal Think Fed might be going from what has been said here in Sydney,

Not really fussed if he stays or goes. He's an 'ok' keeper, but he has plenty of faults, and will be easier to replace than a Sigurdsson. If we get £2m for him, I'll drive him to White Heart Lane myself.

Calamity Gomes or calamity Federici. What a choice.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 May 2010 08:26

Messiah
Sydneyroyal Think Fed might be going from what has been said here in Sydney,

Not really fussed if he stays or goes. He's an 'ok' keeper, but he has plenty of faults, and will be easier to replace than a Sigurdsson. If we get £2m for him, I'll drive him to White Heart Lane myself.

Calamity Gomes or calamity Federici. What a choice.

I can;t believe anyone who watches games can have that opinion ! It's also a bit of a ridiculous comment about Gomes who has settled in really well at Spurs after a shaky start.

Federici has had a good season, but we are lucky to have real strength in depth so if he has the opportunity to try his luck at a Prem club and we have the opportunity to make some money I think we may not have a tough call to make. All our back up have a season or more experience and international recognition.

The claim that he is 'in talks' would suggest we have accepted an offer though, which would go against McDermott's statement that no offers have been received so large pinch of salt needed....

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 14 May 2010 08:49

He's said that he doesn't want to sit on the bench (again). (Which is what he'd do at Spurs, Liverpool, etc.)

Better to stay with us for a few more seasons, especially as we have a realistic chance of promotion next season.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 14 May 2010 08:51

If this true and he goes for £2m+, then I'd bite their hand off. If we are to lose any players to balance up this £4m deficit, then Federici is an acceptable casualty. OK, he's good shot-stopper - but all goalkeepers should have this as a pre-requisite.

As mentioned, he's OK but has never really stood out as one we should keep at all costs. Good luck to him if he does go, I hear that Spurs' bench seats are very comfy.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 14 May 2010 08:54

Messiah White Heart Lane

Messiah Calamity Gomes

Another cracking post. :roll:

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 14 May 2010 08:59

After 4 years on the bench why would he want to go and do it again?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 May 2010 09:00

URZZZZZZZZ After 4 years on the bench why would he want to go and do it again?

Three times the wages ?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 14 May 2010 09:02

Sun Tzu
URZZZZZZZZ After 4 years on the bench why would he want to go and do it again?

Three times the wages ?

Not to mention the possibility of CL football if Gomes gets injured....

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 14 May 2010 09:11

Good old Jay. I think Fed's better than people give him credit for and there are not many better in the Championship.

I think if we dis sell you'd take a risk on Hamer for the 1st few games but have an experienced keeper on loan lined up if things didn't go to plan.

Fed will not be as easy to replace as some suggest IMO.

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 14 May 2010 09:18

Wouldn't anyone rather play first team football in the Championship compared to sitting on the bench/not making the squad in the Premier League? Just look at players like Delph.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 14 May 2010 09:21

spacey's gonna love this thread on the team board 8)

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 May 2010 09:32

NR_Royal Wouldn't anyone rather play first team football in the Championship compared to sitting on the bench/not making the squad in the Premier League? Just look at players like Delph.

Would anyone rather earn 30k a week than 10k ?

Three year contract and you are set for life.

Even if spend a year on the bench and it doesn't work out you can drop back a level, or potentially you go straight out on loan and get the best of all worlds !

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 14 May 2010 09:46

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Good old Jay. I think Fed's better than people give him credit for and there are not many better in the Championship.

I think if we dis sell you'd take a risk on Hamer for the 1st few games but have an experienced keeper on loan lined up if things didn't go to plan.

Fed will not be as easy to replace as some suggest IMO.

In the current climate, I believe there is plenty of scope to replace him whilst making a serious dent in the £4m which needs to be knocked off the budget.

I missed much of last season but haven't seen one observer suggesting Feds is the best 'keeper in the division and have seen enough myself to know that Hahnemann would still be first choice if he hadn't been off loaded.

In my view, if we get £2m someone will bite our hand off when we offer 500k for someone who is just as good..........................and this assumes we will not be prepared to go with what we've got or decide to dip into the loan market.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 14 May 2010 09:49

Despite knocking six past him, I thought Joe Lewis of Peterborough looked like their best player. He'd be 'cheap' and better than Federici in my opinion.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 May 2010 09:50

Based on Marcus's last season here I don;t think there would be anything to chose between the two to be honest. Both have their faults (but then every keeper makes mistake)

There was never a chance we'd offer Marcus another contract given his age and Fed has shown that the decision was pretty much justified. Same standard of keeper for less money !

Marcus has done extremely well to claim the number one spot at Wolves (although Hennessey always looked a liability) but no one saw him doing anything other than benchwarming.

But agree with the general tone that we have the depth to replace Fed if he choses to go.

dantheloyalroyal

by dantheloyalroyal » 14 May 2010 10:03

Agent Balti Despite knocking six past him, I thought Joe Lewis of Peterborough looked like their best player. He'd be 'cheap' and better than Federici in my opinion.
'greed, but not sure about being better. Still, would definitely like to see him having a go for us if Federici goes.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 14 May 2010 10:07

Sun Tzu Based on Marcus's last season here I don;t think there would be anything to chose between the two to be honest. Both have their faults (but then every keeper makes mistake)

There was never a chance we'd offer Marcus another contract given his age and Fed has shown that the decision was pretty much justified. Same standard of keeper for less money !

Marcus has done extremely well to claim the number one spot at Wolves (although Hennessey always looked a liability) but no one saw him doing anything other than benchwarming.

But agree with the general tone that we have the depth to replace Fed if he choses to go.

I thought Marcus was treated pretty poorly when he left but understand why it had to happen.

However, claiming the top spot at a Premiership club who avoided the drop says a lot about how he was under rated by too many Reading supporters. Meanwhile, this season has shown that whilst Feds is a decent 'keeper, he is still not close to Hahnemann at his best.

Without going up a notch in the next campaign I believe we would be looking to replace him if we were promoted.

One thing is for sure, accepting £2m will not be a tough decision.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 14 May 2010 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 14 May 2010 10:09

Also Feds mistakes are ones that can be worked on, put better defenders than Cummings in front of him and he lets in less goals. His shot stopping, fromwhat I saw live , and on telly were as good as Marcus, but could still improve.

'Arry manged to get the errors in Gomez game sorted a bit, would be excellent move for Feds, and is a win win situation. Ashdown anyone?? 6 seasons on Lower Prem wages, and looking like a free move this summer to Bristol City.

Nothing is guaranteed in football, Fed would be daft to stay, he might not get another chance.

As already mentioned on other threads, it wont help too much to the £4m savings, asthey are ongoing not just as a lump sum.

206 posts