Parking on Tuesday

gh7901

Parking on Tuesday

by gh7901 » 17 Sep 2006 21:13

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but does anyone know whether parking prices will be any lower for the Darlington game? Either at the ground or HP
Because I dont really want to pay more to park the car than my match ticket cost

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 18 Sep 2006 03:40

Why do so many of you lazy buggers waste your money parking at all? Just park the car in the quiet streets opposite the the Holiday Inn (Greenfields Road for one - also has an alleyway through to the Basingstoke Road opposite the park). It's dead quiet, very very safe and 10 minutes walk to the ground.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 18 Sep 2006 08:29

Exactly, Jay.

It's a fact that most people in Reading are utterly incapable of travelling more than 50 yards without the aid of a motor vehicle.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 18 Sep 2006 08:56

grumpy old man

working class hero

by working class hero » 18 Sep 2006 09:28

Reading Abbey Why do so many of you lazy buggers waste your money parking at all? Just park the car in the quiet streets opposite the the Holiday Inn (Greenfields Road for one - also has an alleyway through to the Basingstoke Road opposite the park). It's dead quiet, very very safe and 10 minutes walk to the ground.

So everyone from HP, the ground and the greyhound will fit in the few 'quiet streets'?

Pillock.

Royalphil

by Royalphil » 18 Sep 2006 10:04

Reading Abbey .... park the car in the quiet streets opposite the the Holiday Inn ....

:roll: The secret's out... they won't be quiet now!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any chance that someone can answer the original posted question please?

:)

royal_ali

by royal_ali » 18 Sep 2006 12:46

i wouldnt say totally safe parking there. my car got broken into at man city game. park in car park will save money if car ends up broken into

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Sep 2006 13:35

Reading Abbey Just park the car in the quiet streets opposite the the Holiday Inn (Greenfields Road for one - also has an alleyway through to the Basingstoke Road opposite the park). It's dead quiet, very very safe and 10 minutes walk to the ground.

Isn't that still well within the reach of the Whitley low-life and therefore far from safe?!

Mind you, I believe there have also been break-ins in the past in both the speedway and Mad Stad car parks.

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 18 Sep 2006 14:03

working class hero
Reading Abbey Why do so many of you lazy buggers waste your money parking at all? Just park the car in the quiet streets opposite the the Holiday Inn (Greenfields Road for one - also has an alleyway through to the Basingstoke Road opposite the park). It's dead quiet, very very safe and 10 minutes walk to the ground.

So everyone from HP, the ground and the greyhound will fit in the few 'quiet streets'?

Pillock.

Actually, yes they will. All the roads around there are pretty much untouched on match days and it's so quiet around there!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 18 Sep 2006 14:14

Reading Abbey
working class hero

Pillock.

Actually, yes they will. All the roads around there are pretty much untouched on match days and it's so quiet around there!

Do you have any idea how many cars park in the HP car park? They will not all fit in Whitley/Whitley Wood.

gh7901

by gh7901 » 18 Sep 2006 15:31

Ive got no problem walking a bit, never realised there was anywhere safe around the streets to leave the car, guess there wont be now everyone will try it

Isnt there 700 spaces at HP? Thats a lot of quiet streets

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 18 Sep 2006 15:37

gh7901 Ive got no problem walking a bit, never realised there was anywhere safe around the streets to leave the car, guess there wont be now everyone will try it

It isn't that safe anywhere in the Whitley/Whitley Wood especiallly when those that enjoy a bit of car crime know that the cars parked in the streets in that area will be unattended whilst the football is going on. THat applies to any areas of any town in country where cars are parked for football matches.

OldBiscuit

Re: Parking on Tuesday

by OldBiscuit » 18 Sep 2006 22:37

[quote="gh7901"]Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but does anyone know whether parking prices will be any lower for the Darlington game? Either at the ground or HP
Because I dont really want to pay more to park the car than my match ticket cost[/quote]

Do you think the beer will be any cheaper?

Reading Til I Die
Location: Anywhere there's a cold pint with a voluptuous barmaid!

by Reading Til I Die » 19 Sep 2006 08:56

I've always parked in the car park behind the Harvester.

Always managed to find a space and there's the added bonus of being able to have a beer before and after the game.

It takes about 10 minutes to walk to the ground from there.

Cheers
RTID

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 19 Sep 2006 11:25

Sad truth is, despite the warnings there will still be numpties arriving late, not finding spaces to park and whinging that they decided to go home and not bother watching the game. The M4 junction will be even worse, the IDR will be stacked (shoppers ignorant to the game being on) and whose fault will it be?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 19 Sep 2006 11:27

will it be that bad for Darlington?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 20 Sep 2006 14:21

By the way I note the gypos are back on Commercial Road again, will the council act now to get rid of them seeing as there is a prestige development taking shape, or wait the usual 2 months?

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 20 Sep 2006 14:52

Wycombe Royal It isn't that safe anywhere in the Whitley/Whitley Wood especiallly when those that enjoy a bit of car crime know that the cars parked in the streets in that area will be unattended whilst the football is going on. THat applies to any areas of any town in country where cars are parked for football matches.

Bollocks. I've been parking in the same spot it Whitley since we have been at the Madstad. I've never had anything done to my car, or seen anything done to anyone elses. The only time I ever had a problem was when I got a lift and a mate parked down at Halfords on the A33 (f**k knows why it must of been busy) and he had his stereo nicked.

I would suggest wycombe royals knowledge of south Reading is slightly based upon common folklore.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 20 Sep 2006 15:16

Spirit of Elm Park
Wycombe Royal It isn't that safe anywhere in the Whitley/Whitley Wood especiallly when those that enjoy a bit of car crime know that the cars parked in the streets in that area will be unattended whilst the football is going on. THat applies to any areas of any town in country where cars are parked for football matches.

Bollocks. I've been parking in the same spot it Whitley since we have been at the Madstad. I've never had anything done to my car, or seen anything done to anyone elses. The only time I ever had a problem was when I got a lift and a mate parked down at Halfords on the A33 (f**k knows why it must of been busy) and he had his stereo nicked.

I would suggest wycombe royals knowledge of south Reading is slightly based upon common folklore.

Actually I parked my car in Whitley to go to the Madejski for at least 4 seasons in row and I was never broken in to.

I you read the last sentance of my post (rather than just stopping when you found a bit you disagreed with) you will see that my comment was actually a general one aimed at any town/city in the country.

If you park in a housing estate and go to a football match those people intent in doing a bit of car crime know that the car will be unattended for a number of hours. That was my point.

And finally just because I have "Wycombe" in my username it does not mean that I am actually from Wycombe (I just happened to have the misfortune of living their for a number of years). So your "suggestion" is wrong.

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 20 Sep 2006 16:13

Wycombe Royal Actually I parked my car in Whitley to go to the Madejski for at least 4 seasons in row and I was never broken in to.

I you read the last sentance of my post (rather than just stopping when you found a bit you disagreed with) you will see that my comment was actually a general one aimed at any town/city in the country.

If you park in a housing estate and go to a football match those people intent in doing a bit of car crime know that the car will be unattended for a number of hours. That was my point.

And finally just because I have "Wycombe" in my username it does not mean that I am actually from Wycombe (I just happened to have the misfortune of living their for a number of years). So your "suggestion" is wrong.

I read the first, and last sentence of your post. The first sentence, and I quote, "It isn't that safe anywhere in Whitley" which IMO is slightly more targetted than a generalisation, is backed up by your second sentence "That applies to any areas....".

However given your comment "Actually I parked my car in Whitley to go to the Madejski for at least 4 seasons in row and I was never broken in to." It makes me wonder why you even bothered to post at all?

You've made a point in your first post which is in itself, misinformed, and then followed up with a comment in your second post which completely contradicts it.

Why? :?

Your point, although valid in terms of the "general state of the nation" has no validity in the context of this thread, unless you wish to provide evidence to the contrary, in which case I will accept it.

I would suggest then, that my suggestion, despite your denial, is in fact based more in fact then any of your previous points due mainly to the fact that you have not lived in Whitley and therefore are basing your comments on common folklore. fact :lol:

:wink: