"This is real football"

215 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Sep 2006 17:16

Miller was his surname, something like William J Miller, but without looking it up can't remember for sure.

Quite an interesting story behind him. This was the only novel he wrote during his lifetime. He started writing a sequel decades after the first one, but suffered with depression, became a recluse and committed suicide just before he finished it. Someone else finished it off for him.

The book itself is considered a classic of its genre and is used in study courses for science fiction writing apparently. Liking the whole "end of the world as we know it" genre I found it interesting but a bit heavy going.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 25 Sep 2006 17:26

Is it this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Canticle-Leibowit ... F8&s=books

I think I might put it on my list of books to read....

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Sep 2006 18:10

According to tonight's EP, despite reports on Hob Nob of trouble on the A33 after the game, there was none and no arrests, so say TVP. They did send a couple of police down to the reported incident, but could not prove that anything had actually happened.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Sep 2006 18:34

Anyone got any footage on their mobiles that can be sent to the three monkeys aka TVP?

Their claims of no trouble are downright ridiculous but exactly what you would expect from those who only bother to count 1 in 10 demonstrators in order to avoid embarrassment for their political lords and masters!

Incidentally my two youngsters spotted a kid of about 9 wearing a ManUre shirt in our row of East Stand. My reaction - he's not doing any harm. However, I would hope that he would now see sense and get rid of that shirt in favour of that belonging to his local Premiership club.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 25 Sep 2006 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Sep 2006 18:35

SpaceCruiser Is it this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Canticle-Leibowit ... F8&s=books

I think I might put it on my list of books to read....

That's the one.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 25 Sep 2006 18:37

I hardly think as people were being chased and attacked by a load of United fans they had time to get their phone out and film it :roll:

On a different note, anyone think a chant should be made out of this title of this thread?

"This is real football" to the tune of Paulo Di Canioooo?
Last edited by alad on 25 Sep 2006 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Sep 2006 18:38

No. HTH

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 25 Sep 2006 18:41

alad I hardly think as people were being chased and attacked by a load of United fans they had time to get their phone out and film it :roll:

And are you really that dumb? :roll: :roll: :roll:

From the accounts on here, there are clearly people who witnessed the trouble without having the misfortune of getting caught up in it. They may well have had time to get their phone out and film it.

I also trust the club will be handing their CCTV footage over to hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil TVP! Maybe the EP would also like a look at it so they can run a story questionning the effectiveness of policing at the game.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 25 Sep 2006 18:47

RoyalBlue
alad I hardly think as people were being chased and attacked by a load of United fans they had time to get their phone out and film it :roll:

From the accounts on here, there are clearly people who witnessed the trouble without having the misfortune of getting caught up in it. They may well have had time to get their phone out and film it.

I also trust the club will be handing their CCTV footage over to hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil TVP! Maybe the EP would also like a look at it so they can run a story questionning the effectiveness of policing at the game.

If those that weren't at risk saw it from a distance of say 30 yards plus then do you really think the quality of footage they would have recorded would have been good enough to clearly identify people? :roll:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Sep 2006 18:49

To be honest, TVP shouldn't need to rely on pictures off a camera phone. They should have seen for themselves what was going on and at least asked a few people to pick out the trouble makers.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 26 Sep 2006 11:51

Of course not, I was too busy trying to logon to Hobnob on my Palm Pilot!

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 26 Sep 2006 16:30

We're supposed to be the most intensive surveillance society in the world, so is there really no CCTV footage of this? Perhaps a couple of cameras on the roads leading to the stadium and around the A33 wouldn't hurt - it would remove one excuse for the police not responding in time.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 26 Sep 2006 16:48

rabidbee We're supposed to be the most intensive surveillance society in the world, so is there really no CCTV footage of this? Perhaps a couple of cameras on the roads leading to the stadium and around the A33 wouldn't hurt - it would remove one excuse for the police not responding in time.

I've never actually looked but I would have assumed that there is a CCTV on the roundabout on the A33 - obviously not.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 26 Sep 2006 17:08

alad
RoyalBlue

If those that weren't at risk saw it from a distance of say 30 yards plus then do you really think the quality of footage they would have recorded would have been good enough to clearly identify people? :roll:

I wasn't suggesting it be used as evidence to identify the offenders. I was suggesting it be used to prove to TVP that they are either blind, incompetent or liars! They said there was no trouble - mobile phone footage would have shown otherwise! :roll:

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 07 Oct 2006 11:41

Yes that guy was stupid to wear a Man U shirt in the East Stand. I wasnt there but that doesnt condone the behaviour of the mindless idiots who it seems continually attacked him after he'd moved from his seat. Anyone who thinks it does makes me genuinely sick and the whole incident makes me ashamed to be a Reading fan.

I haven't read the whole thread but I'm not really surprised by alad's original comments.

215 posts