After our game on Sunday...

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 28 Sep 2006 09:39

Whether or not I was interested, there is absolutely 0 chance of them ever agreeing to a "safe standing area". It's more like taking a step backwards. Plus I don't think it would really fit in with the look and structure of the Madejski Stadium as it currently stands.

There would be more chance of Reading drawing against a huge club Like Man united than this ever working.

:wink:

and for this reason "I'm Out"

HereWeCome

by HereWeCome » 28 Sep 2006 09:45

if the club/league ever did agree to this i think it is a very good idea. But as the stadium is now at full capacity in regards to season ticket holders it would be a hell of a lot of hassle to make sure those who wanted to stand were moved to the standing area and vice-versa. there would be a lot of season ticket holders moved who wouldn't be very happy.

initially a good idea but would have worked a season or two ago, to difficult now.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 28 Sep 2006 11:35

I would like like to think the authorities could be more sympathetic to those who like to stand by letting them stand where their seats are. Obviously there would need to be a common sense approach in that restrict the standing for those nearer the back, and by mutual agreement with those people already seated there. It would need to be monitored closely but if everyone pulls in the same direction (fans/club/stewards) it is a very realistic option (albeit not in line with current legislation).
People that say 'no chance' are just being narrow minded and probably have selfish motives. Hopefully these are people who sit nearer the front and wouldn't be affected anyway. I do agree that standing 'terraces' are very very unlikely though.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 28 Sep 2006 11:39

Skin I would like like to think the authorities could be more sympathetic to those who like to stand by letting them stand where their seats are. Obviously there would need to be a common sense approach in that restrict the standing for those nearer the back, and by mutual agreement with those people already seated there. It would need to be monitored closely but if everyone pulls in the same direction (fans/club/stewards) it is a very realistic option (albeit not in line with current legislation).
People that say 'no chance' are just being narrow minded and probably have selfish motives. Hopefully these are people who sit nearer the front and wouldn't be affected anyway. I do agree that standing 'terraces' are very very unlikely though.

The problem is everyone will not pull in the same direction. There is always someone unhappy. And the stewards/the club want to avoid conflict, fights and unhappy customers (no, really they do).

There will always be that one person who moans and will be awkward. For this reason the club will not allow it. As well as them being far too concious of potential accidents. The affect if one did occur would be disastrous. It's just easier and safer for them to just enforce a blanket protocol.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 28 Sep 2006 11:53

bobby1413
Skin I would like like to think the authorities could be more sympathetic to those who like to stand by letting them stand where their seats are. Obviously there would need to be a common sense approach in that restrict the standing for those nearer the back, and by mutual agreement with those people already seated there. It would need to be monitored closely but if everyone pulls in the same direction (fans/club/stewards) it is a very realistic option (albeit not in line with current legislation).

The problem is everyone will not pull in the same direction. There is always someone unhappy. And the stewards/the club want to avoid conflict, fights and unhappy customers (no, really they do).

There will always be that one person who moans and will be awkward. For this reason the club will not allow it. As well as them being far too concious of potential accidents. The affect if one did occur would be disastrous. It's just easier and safer for them to just enforce a blanket protocol.

I know what you are saying, but it does already appear to be the case along the top of the East Stand in some blocks. Certainly where I sit/stand no-one complains as I know anyone who elects to sit there knows the score we are all like-minded individuals.
Obviously the stewards will occasionally dish out some grief but I don't buy the safety arguement, when has anyone ever been injured because they stand in front of their seat? No more than anyone has been injured through sitting on their seat...

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

Re: After our game on Sunday...

by West Stand Man » 28 Sep 2006 13:59

Andy M A few of us are meeting to discuss a peaceful protest we're planning outside our ground and during our game v Blackburn on the 29th October.

Anybody interested would be more than welcome to join us.

The main aim of this protest is to persuade our club (and hopefully others) that they should be speaking out, on behalf of their fans, in favour of safe standing areas. Many supporters are feeling increasingly alienated from their clubs as they feel strongly that the somtimes heavy handed enforcement of the regulations have a detrimental effect on the atmosphere that being a part of is integral to their support of their club. Indeed, the two supporters behind this protest have decided that they will no longer attend games at the Boleyn.

If you want to come along, drop me an email at info@standupsitdown.co.uk and I'll let you have details.

Andy M
http://www.standupsitdown.co.uk

Please ensure that you make it quite clear that you don't represent me or any of my family, all of whom love all seater stadiums.

The atmosphere at our match v Man Utd, and the atmosphere generally this season shows that sitting is NOT a negative effect.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 28 Sep 2006 14:07

Andy M A few of us are meeting to discuss a peaceful protest we're planning outside our ground and during our game v Blackburn on the 29th October.

The main aim of this protest is to persuade our club (and hopefully others) that they should be speaking out, on behalf of their fans, in favour of safe standing areas. Many supporters are feeling increasingly alienated from their clubs as they feel strongly that the somtimes heavy handed enforcement of the regulations have a detrimental effect on the atmosphere that being a part of is integral to their support of their club. Indeed, the two supporters behind this protest have decided that they will no longer attend games at the Boleyn.

If you want to come along, drop me an email at info@standupsitdown.co.uk and I'll let you have details.

Andy M

But Andy - aren't the aims of StandUpSitDown (allow people to stand in areas designed for seating) different to the aims of Safe Standing (properly designed areas in which people are allowed to stand?).

I'd say it's a little disingenious for SUSD to say "....speaking out, on behalf of their fans, in favour of safe standing areas." when the essence of your campaign is quite different?

Andy M

by Andy M » 28 Sep 2006 14:46

West Stand Man, rest assured we'll put exactly that on our fliers and literature that you and your family love all seaters so therefore nobody else should even get a choice as to whether they sit or stand.

And not being there, I assume that every single Reading support sat for the duration of the game v Man Utd, did they apart from dancing along to the music you play after goals have scored, or have you stopped that now?

Can I also assume that after your game recently v Man City that fantastic atmosphere was generated with every single fan sitting down, again for the entire 90 minutes?

Can I assume that if Reading make it into Europe and get to play a German team whose ground has safe standing areas you won't go because you love all seater stadiums?

Why should your "love" of all seater stadiums over ride the feelings of the supporters who love to stand? I mean, it isn't as if we're saying all the seats should be ripped up, is it?

Stadiums are big enough to accommodate both sets of fans, are they not?

Dirk, I have to hold my hands up, you've got me there, haven't you? However, since we have those involved in the FSF Safe Standing campaign joining us on the day, I'd say that lets me off the hook a little...

Andy M

by Andy M » 28 Sep 2006 14:55

bobby1413 Whether or not I was interested, there is absolutely 0 chance of them ever agreeing to a "safe standing area". It's more like taking a step backwards. Plus I don't think it would really fit in with the look and structure of the Madejski Stadium as it currently stands.

There would be more chance of Reading drawing against a huge club Like Man united than this ever working.

:wink:

and for this reason "I'm Out"

Step Backwards to what, exactly?

And how do you know there is no chance of "them" ever agreeing?

RIP ELM Park

by RIP ELM Park » 28 Sep 2006 15:15

Andy, out of interest how many people have signed your petition and how many have joined your campaign?

I admire the your persistance and the fact that you're prepared to put the effort in to do something about it even if you are banging your head against a brick wall.

I think one of you main problems encouraging Reading fans to join the campaign is that we are pretty happy with how things are going at the moment and finally we are creating a great atomoshpere in the stadium.

I'd suggest at most gronds it's only a minority the feel strongly enough about this issue to do something about it.

I fear the clubs will only throw their support behind it when they realise they can get twice as many fans in the same area as before thereby increasing capacity and revenue without expanding stands. (Of course your campaign i.e. standing in front of your seats dosn't offer the clubs this whereas safe terracing if there is such a thing would)

Andy M

RIP

by Andy M » 28 Sep 2006 17:01

RIP, we have over 5,000 members and 7406 signatures on our petition. You could argue that that isn't impressive but if you consider that we're pretty much reliant on websites and only a tiny minority of supporters use forums such as these, I don't think we're doing too badly.

From your televised games, the atmosphere does sound good, but as I asked earlier were all the fans sitting for the duration of the game? I doubt it..

You could be right that only a minority feel strongly enough to do anything about it and supporty apathy is a problem and we're also up against comments such as "what is the point, things will never change"! I feel strongly about plenty of issues outside of football but do nothing and I'm sure lots of people are like me.

Some days I wonder if I do this because I feel strongly that fans should have the choice as to whether they sit or stand or because I get so wound up by the Government, the FLA and the local authorities all buck passing and hiding behind each other!

However, it is interesting that when forums run surveys on the issue of standing invariably around 2/3s of respondents would like standing areas. The Football Fans Survey people did a professional survey for us 18 months ago, and the results were very much in our favour. If you're intersted, I'll dig out a link for you.

It may sound dramatic, but I'm fairly certain that a whole generation of supporters could be lost to the game. Certainly from the feedback we get, many younger fans are put off by not the ticket prices but by the sanitisation of the game. I think in 10-15 years the world of football will be scratching its head and wondering where all the fans are. Perhaps not at Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle and Man Utd but certainly at the majority of others.

I was watching a Championship game last Friday night and thought to myself that if I was a twenty something with not much money to spend on a Friday night would I buy a match ticket or go down the pubs with my mates to watch the game. I came to the conclusion that I'd go down the pub.. probably even if the game wasn't on tv.

Sorry, digressed a little tehre...

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 Sep 2006 17:31

Andy M West Stand Man, rest assured we'll put exactly that on our fliers and literature that you and your family love all seaters so therefore nobody else should even get a choice as to whether they sit or stand.

And not being there, I assume that every single Reading support sat for the duration of the game v Man Utd, did they apart from dancing along to the music you play after goals have scored, or have you stopped that now?

Can I also assume that after your game recently v Man City that fantastic atmosphere was generated with every single fan sitting down, again for the entire 90 minutes?

Can I assume that if Reading make it into Europe and get to play a German team whose ground has safe standing areas you won't go because you love all seater stadiums?

Why should your "love" of all seater stadiums over ride the feelings of the supporters who love to stand? I mean, it isn't as if we're saying all the seats should be ripped up, is it?

Stadiums are big enough to accommodate both sets of fans, are they not?

Dirk, I have to hold my hands up, you've got me there, haven't you? However, since we have those involved in the FSF Safe Standing campaign joining us on the day, I'd say that lets me off the hook a little...

The trouble is that this discussion always ends up getting a tad puerile.

Of course people leap to their feet on occasions - even in all seaters. The principle I wish to keep is that we all have a seat, and that we all stay seated except for that uncontrollable orgasmic moment that needs no description (ie when everyone leaps joyously to the air).

To be honest, whatever the view of a few fans is, I find it hard to believe that any government will go back on the decision to insist on seated stadia. The potential risk is huge. Can you imagine a Home Secretary or Sports Minister who is prepared to say that he (or she) will accept the risk that a return to standing will be safer than it was before. It will only take one incident and one litigant to take action due to that incident and the whole thing will collapse again.

I may be a sad realist - but it saves on wasted energy trying to hold back the tide, when there are serious battles to be fought that can be won.[/quote]

Volvicanus
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Volvicanus » 28 Sep 2006 17:40

Andy M

Perhaps you need to come and visit the Mad Stad to see how to make a proper noise sitting down. :wink:

Andy M

by Andy M » 28 Sep 2006 20:38

Peurile? You started it!! :lol:

I have a seat and I like to sit in it. I can't quite work out though why you seem so against football fans being able to make an informed decision as to whether they sit or stand.

What makes you say the potential risk is huge? Based on what and considering fans have been standing in seated areas since the regulations were introduced and also considering that the German method (that would be ideal) hasn't caused problems, indeed some grounds are actually extending their standing areas! Remember that our proposals are really only proposing that what already happens is managed to the benefit of all..

What we need is people like STAR and their counterparts canvessing their membership for their opinions and if they majority are in favour of choice (with emphasis on choice) then they should fight their corner.

The Football Supporters Federation are campaigning for safe standing and the Football Foundation (funded by the FA and Government) have recently called on the Government to reconsider their stance. I see no reason why the Trusts under the Supporters Direct umbrella shouldn't do similar, subject to that being what their membership wanting, of course.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 Sep 2006 22:17

Andy M Peurile? You started it!! :lol:

What makes you say the potential risk is huge?

Read my post in its entirety and the risk is explained. If you are ahving difficulty picking it out let me clarify.

The risk is political. Few, if any, politicians will take a decision that might put them at such a risk.

The risk is that one incident is blamed on standing fans in a stadium that was allowing standing due to the politician changing the law, and that incident results in injuries or death. It won't matter if that incident actually was due to the standing areas; that politician will be dead in the water. Find me one who will open themselves to that potential risk and I'll be surprised.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 28 Sep 2006 23:07

West Stand Man
Andy M Peurile? You started it!! :lol:

What makes you say the potential risk is huge?

Read my post in its entirety and the risk is explained. If you are ahving difficulty picking it out let me clarify.

The risk is political. Few, if any, politicians will take a decision that might put them at such a risk.

The risk is that one incident is blamed on standing fans in a stadium that was allowing standing due to the politician changing the law, and that incident results in injuries or death. It won't matter if that incident actually was due to the standing areas; that politician will be dead in the water. Find me one who will open themselves to that potential risk and I'll be surprised.

Surely this is impossible anyway. The stands at the Madstad are built to take seats. If you removed the seats the angle of the stands and the large drop from one row to another could be lethal

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 28 Sep 2006 23:21

Not enough Reading fans would stand anyway. You only have to go to an away game to find that out.

gh7901

by gh7901 » 29 Sep 2006 00:01

I like the idea

And I would like the choice to stand (although I still like sitting at times)

But how would it ever get implemented?

If there was ever a standing area designated at the madstad it would probably be in the east stand (y25/26) which wouldnt help me in the slightest in the North

Id be more for it if I hadnt seen what an amazing atmosphere can be generated by people sitting down for 80-90% of the game (eg every home game so far this season)

So yeh I would love the choice and would probably make use of it, but I just cant ever see you getting anywhere, in regards to Reading at least

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 29 Sep 2006 08:53

Andy M Can I assume that if Reading make it into Europe and get to play a German team whose ground has safe standing areas you won't go because you love all seater stadiums?

UEFA rules state that for UEFA competitions (CL, UEFA Cup etc) there must be no standing areas. where there are standing areas in the stadium these must be unaccessible. I used to work with a Schalke 04 fan who said that the standing areas at their stadium (17,000 out of a capacity of 60,000) can be converted to seating for European games.

Incidentally, the ticket prices at Schalke are 15 to 50 Euros!!

ruprecht

by ruprecht » 29 Sep 2006 09:35

Id be more for it if I hadnt seen what an amazing atmosphere can be generated by people sitting down for 80-90% of the game (eg every home game so far this season)

What makes you against it then?