Is Marcus Overrated

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 12 Oct 2006 13:15

Ian Royal
Tinrib
Ian Royal Tinrib, I'm sorry but you sound like you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Actim measures stats from games. I'm not sure exactly what they measure, but I would imagine it is things like, assists, goals, pass completion, No passes made, tackles won, saves made.

/quote]

You lose all credence by way of your first two paragraphs. I stoppped reading after that !!

If you dont understand what they mean you're in no real position to tell me I have no idea!

Do some research, then respond.

What? I never said I don't know what they mean. I said I don't know what they measure, but then listed the likely things. I don't need to research actim to know its a load of statistics put out for no real purpose that don't give anything even close to a balanced and full picture of the comparable abilities of different players.

You are a muppet.

Ah excellent, when confronted with the shallow & lacking nature of your opinion you revert to abusing the poster.

I bet that knee is aching huh !!

Another HNA expert found wanting!

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 12 Oct 2006 13:18

Hoop Blah
Tinrib
Ian Royal Tinrib, I'm sorry but you sound like you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Actim measures stats from games. I'm not sure exactly what they measure, but I would imagine it is things like, assists, goals, pass completion, No passes made, tackles won, saves made.

/quote]

You lose all credence by way of your first two paragraphs. I stoppped reading after that !!

If you dont understand what they mean you're in no real position to tell me I have no idea!

Can I just thank you for breaking up what has been a very boring week in office with some excellents posts.

Thanks and you too! Friday tomorrow - hurrah ! I'll get back to you on your last post -just diving into a meeting!

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 12 Oct 2006 13:22

Children,

Actim Stats are a collection of team, player and match statistics. They are derived from all the actions that take place during a match, including goals, shots on target, corners, assists, clean sheets, fouls, offsides, passes, tackles, blocks and clearances. The raw data can be used to generate a wide range of tables and statistics such as player profiles, team and player head to heads and form guides.

http://www.pa-sport.com/en/products/actim_faqs.html#02

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 12 Oct 2006 13:36

That Friday Feeling Children,

Actim Stats are a collection of team, player and match statistics. They are derived from all the actions that take place during a match, including goals, shots on target, corners, assists, clean sheets, fouls, offsides, passes, tackles, blocks and clearances. The raw data can be used to generate a wide range of tables and statistics such as player profiles, team and player head to heads and form guides.

You're joking me - right?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Oct 2006 14:13

Tinrib
Ian Royal
Tinrib

/quote]

What? I never said I don't know what they mean. I said I don't know what they measure, but then listed the likely things. I don't need to research actim to know its a load of statistics put out for no real purpose that don't give anything even close to a balanced and full picture of the comparable abilities of different players.

You are a muppet.

Ah excellent, when confronted with the shallow & lacking nature of your opinion you revert to abusing the poster.

I bet that knee is aching huh !!

Another HNA expert found wanting!

I could get my housemate to look into actim and the usefulness of their data seeing as he went to uni to study maths and stats type stuff. I don't see the need for him to tell me what I've already said.

I'll look at TFF's link in a sec seeing as I don't have a lot to do right now anyway.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Oct 2006 14:16

Tinrib

Why?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Oct 2006 14:23

So pretty much what I said then. A few more things are included than I thought I'll admit, but there is no way of rating a block or tackle that is superb higher than a really simple one that happened by accident. likewise a pass or an unsuccessful shot/cross.

For a bunch of numbers it is very advanced. But it is still just a bunch of numbers. Statistics can only give an indication, they can not tell the whole story because they are often inflexible, certainly in this case.

If football was all about the numbers and statistics then none of us would watch it, because there would be few surprises and it would be less interesting. bTHe actim index is a useful indicator, but can't be used to say one player is better than the other. It could be used as supporting evidence, but I'm sure I could name several keepers who are lower than Marcus in the index that most would agree are better than him.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Oct 2006 14:31

I'm wondering if there is any word which rhymes with actim.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 12 Oct 2006 15:13

Hoop Blah
Tinrib

Why?

I thought we'd already covered that (what Actim was about) -

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Oct 2006 15:26

Tinrib I thought we'd already covered that (what Actim was about) -

You seemed to still be having a problem comprehending it.

Do you know accept that these stats do not represent a measurement of ability?

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 12 Oct 2006 18:01

Hoop Blah
Tinrib I thought we'd already covered that (what Actim was about) -

You seemed to still be having a problem comprehending it.

No problem with comprehending what that stats represent at all..

Do you know accept that these stats do not represent a measurement of ability?

I dont think I have ever said or intimated that..!

Funnily enough though when you debating earlier by comparing Ridgewell to Terry, Phil N to Gary N, Ashley Young to Terry Henry & Cech to James and asking me who was better, that was your point was it not?

In other words your 'percieved ' ability of the players not in the top 10 mean that they should in reality be better players, and thus the stats are meaningless?

And how do you measure ability? You cant. Mass Sarr had bags loads of perceived ability but couldn't play.(apart from Luton at home), Robin Friday had shedloads of ability to did'nt always transfer that onto the pitch.

Good players transfer ability onto the pitch, consistantly which equates to analysis which leads to a rating over many criteria which leads to a overall score.

From my own humble view Terry has'nt looked as convincing so far this season as he has in seasons past. (And long may that continue to at least 7.30 on Saturday!) Same for Gary Neville. Same for Henry.

Using the Sun's totally un-scientific Dream Team stats, guess what?

If you picked the same side that Actim have thus far as team of the season, you'd be winning the thing by a country mile !

So what do the stats tell us - They are an exact snapshot at the date of publication of how good each team member is performing.

Is Marcus the 4th best keeper in the league? So far this season yes, but overall I would've thought not.

Players can have blinding season one year and be crap the next (Butler) . Maybe this year Marcus will be better than we've ever seen him. Its called form.

Last season were the 7 or so Reading players in the top 10 the best in their respective positions in the League ? Yes, without a doubt both collectively and individually. I would'nt have swopped them for anyone else in that league.

Anyhow, thats my tuppence worth done. I've gotta go. By using in depth statistical analysis, based on performance, form and the time of the month the Mrs' is going to be well pissed off with me being late in again!