FAO RFC Stewards that read this

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 17 Oct 2006 13:48

starliaison
M4 Junction 11 Does this mean if I arranged a stewards forum I would get more than last time? Then I was the only one to turn up :(

No, I think they've pissed enough people off now so that more would attend. Incidentally the Chief Steward (yellow jacket- huge bloke, not Clive) who hangs around Y25/6 is a very reasonable guy to speak to. Unlike the tw@ts in orange 'stewarding' in that area, who are absolute morons and wind up the home fans no end. It really has to stop. I'd rather have TVP instead with their flash bulbs and video cameras, and thats saying something.

anR

by anR » 17 Oct 2006 14:14

Dirk Gently Can we ask Winchester what sort of camera he used?

I know that the way these things are generally interpreted is that it's recognised that taking of photos with camera phones or small digital cameras can't be stoppe and so is tolrated, but anything that involves "serious" photographic equipment (professional standard, multiple lenses etc) won't be allowed.

So what was Winchester using?

It doesn't matter how good the camera is, just how big it is. Last season away at Wigan I was unfortunate enough to be on the edge of the row, right on top of a steward. I had my old oblselete camera, which I've taken to a few Hob Nob functions, which the steward imediately recognised as I snapped the team training.

But this camera is not even any good by todays standards, is just very easy for stewards to notice. Lots of phone cameras are better than that, so what's the solution? Don't know. What will be done? Stewards follow every little guidline going to home fans.

All this talk of away fans standing. Can we please have this conversation after Portsmouth away? ;)

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 17 Oct 2006 15:06

anR
Dirk Gently Can we ask Winchester what sort of camera he used?

I know that the way these things are generally interpreted is that it's recognised that taking of photos with camera phones or small digital cameras can't be stoppe and so is tolrated, but anything that involves "serious" photographic equipment (professional standard, multiple lenses etc) won't be allowed.

So what was Winchester using?

It doesn't matter how good the camera is, just how big it is. Last season away at Wigan I was unfortunate enough to be on the edge of the row, right on top of a steward. I had my old oblselete camera, which I've taken to a few Hob Nob functions, which the steward imediately recognised as I snapped the team training.

But this camera is not even any good by todays standards, is just very easy for stewards to notice. Lots of phone cameras are better than that, so what's the solution? Don't know. What will be done? Stewards follow every little guidline going to home fans.

All this talk of away fans standing. Can we please have this conversation after Portsmouth away? ;)

My camera is reasonably big.

I have no objections with being asked to leave, just that I wasn't given a warning.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 17 Oct 2006 15:15

Skin
starliaison Does this mean if I arranged a stewards forum I would get more than last time? Then I was the only one to turn up :(

No, I think they've pissed enough people off now so that more would attend. Incidentally the Chief Steward (yellow jacket- huge bloke, not Clive) who hangs around Y25/6 is a very reasonable guy to speak to. Unlike the tw@ts in orange 'stewarding' in that area, who are absolute morons and wind up the home fans no end. It really has to stop. I'd rather have TVP instead with their flash bulbs and video cameras, and thats saying something.

Do you mean that the stewards should focus more on serious violations like the Chelsea pitch invations before they upset the home support in enforcing what are seen as more petty rules. At Villa and West Ham Marcus had problems handing over his shirt to the fans - what do Chelsea do at the Madejski! The away support can stand for 90 minutes but it feels like the home support need to put their hand up before they can use the toilet. :evil:

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 17 Oct 2006 16:30

starliaison When it comes to how things are done elsewhere, from the times I shadowed the chief steward and the chief tango, I know that they do not work in isolation. It is easy to make assumptions when you do not agree with the methods used but it is equally interesting to talk to those involved to understand their point of view as well as getting your own over to them.

Does this mean if I arranged a stewards forum I would get more than last time? Then I was the only one to turn up :(

I totally agree.

However, there is a general perception now that away fans are getting away with persistent standing and, on Saturday, invading the pitch, wheras home fans continue to be punished for (so-called) petty offences.

And the club appear to be doing little to address the issue or answer fans concerns. It is leading to conflict between stewards and fans and there will be trouble one day. We saw a serious fight between fans and stewards at home to Notts County 6 or 7 years ago, after which the stewards significantly moderated their behaviour.

I hope we don't see a repeat this season.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 17 Oct 2006 16:35

Jerry St Clair
starliaison When it comes to how things are done elsewhere, from the times I shadowed the chief steward and the chief tango, I know that they do not work in isolation. It is easy to make assumptions when you do not agree with the methods used but it is equally interesting to talk to those involved to understand their point of view as well as getting your own over to them.

Does this mean if I arranged a stewards forum I would get more than last time? Then I was the only one to turn up :(

I totally agree.

However, there is a general perception now that away fans are getting away with persistent standing and, on Saturday, invading the pitch, wheras home fans continue to be punished for (so-called) petty offences.

That's exactly how I've read the situation from all the comments and speaking to people at the game and I bet i'm not in the minority.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 17 Oct 2006 17:58

Skin

That is not the chief steward as she is small and not a bloke and from my experience does not hang around anywhere but is constantly on the move from incident to incident. She is also very reasonable though and the guys in charge of the tangos are also reasonable but I suspect some of the less responsible tangos think they have to be hard.

I will ask for a forum but I suspect it will not be until the Charlton game as Arsenal is too soon to arrange and Spurs too early in the day.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 17 Oct 2006 18:30

T.R.O.L.I. I bet i'm not in the minority.

well there's only one of you, so i think you are indeed.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 17 Oct 2006 18:54

starliaison
Skin

That is not the chief steward as she is small and not a bloke and from my experience does not hang around anywhere but is constantly on the move from incident to incident. She is also very reasonable though and the guys in charge of the tangos are also reasonable but I suspect some of the less responsible tangos think they have to be hard.

I will ask for a forum but I suspect it will not be until the Charlton game as Arsenal is too soon to arrange and Spurs too early in the day.

This guy definitely has Chief Steward on the back of his jacket or something similar that would indicate some sort of authority??

Andy M

by Andy M » 18 Oct 2006 21:10

starliaison
M4 Junction 11 They're trying their best but clearly there are leasons that need to be learned before there is a serious incident. It would be a good touch for STAR to get involved here and check with the club what is planned.

I got a phone call from a fellow board member and a personal account from Handbags but no-one else has contacted STAR. When it comes to this sort of incident we have no credibility with the safety officer if the only evidence is that of an anonymous internet message board so if you do want us to take it up seriously we need more to follow Handbags and give us their account of what happened.

You might not believe it but sometimes people on here are less than honest, and those people undermine what everyone else posts :evil:

For what it is worth, we hear plenty of accounts such as the ones recounted on this message board. It is all too easy for your club to fob you off by saying its only talked about on message boards and therefore not credible.

This thread could run on any message board of any club. Your problems are most definately not unique to Reading FC.

You may want to get in touch with Ash O'Connor of the Football Supporters Federation who is working on this issue if you haven't already of course.

There is a survey on their website and fans who are concerned about these issues really need to complete it. Give me a second, and I'll post up a link.

Andy M

by Andy M » 18 Oct 2006 21:16

http://www.fsf.org.uk/news/news0010-policesteward.html

As a campaigning organisation representing the views of football supporters throughout England & Wales, we are constantly dealing with complaints, enquiries and comments surrounding a wide range of fans' issues.
We listen to what other football fans tell us and then take their views to clubs, government organisations, ACPO (the Association of Chief Police Officers) and football authorities including the FA, the Premier League, the Football League, the Conference and the Independent Football Commission. This year we have also been consulted by the Independent European Sports Review committee.
In order to tackle the many issues football fans face, we need as much information as possible from our members and the wider world of football supporters.
Policing and stewarding are areas in which we consistently receive a high volume of complaints and in order to provide a framework for collecting data about how the various clubs police and steward home and away supporters, the FSF have devised the questionnaire above.
We invite as many fans as possible to contribute to our fact-finding by completing the FSF's Policing & Stewarding Questionnaire, 2006-07 and returning it via post or e-mail.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 19 Oct 2006 08:28

Andy M
starliaison
M4 Junction 11 They're trying their best but clearly there are leasons that need to be learned before there is a serious incident. It would be a good touch for STAR to get involved here and check with the club what is planned.

I got a phone call from a fellow board member and a personal account from Handbags but no-one else has contacted STAR. When it comes to this sort of incident we have no credibility with the safety officer if the only evidence is that of an anonymous internet message board so if you do want us to take it up seriously we need more to follow Handbags and give us their account of what happened.

You might not believe it but sometimes people on here are less than honest, and those people undermine what everyone else posts :evil:

For what it is worth, we hear plenty of accounts such as the ones recounted on this message board. It is all too easy for your club to fob you off by saying its only talked about on message boards and therefore not credible.

This thread could run on any message board of any club. Your problems are most definately not unique to Reading FC.

You may want to get in touch with Ash O'Connor of the Football Supporters Federation who is working on this issue if you haven't already of course.

There is a survey on their website and fans who are concerned about these issues really need to complete it. Give me a second, and I'll post up a link.

That is all true, but the point I was making is that if you actually mail STAR with your name then the safety staff do take notice but if all you do is post here anonymously they are able to say that they cannot contact you to verify it.

Unlike you Andy, a lot of people are willing to complain and say that someone should do something without being willing to even write an email themselves.

Andy M

Star

by Andy M » 19 Oct 2006 08:45

Star, indeed and yet again I say that it never ceases to amaze me that potentially the most powerful group of consumers in the country are also the most apathetic. Just think what could be collectively achieved if fans were prepared to do just a little more than bitch and moan on websites such as this one.

I still maintain though that your safety officer is taking the easy way out of this problem; even if you take accounts on here with a pinch of salt there is clearly an issue that the club should be all to willing to address.

As a West Ham supporter, I'd be pleased to put something in writing to you as to how your stewards took huge delight in banning entry to our fans because they were wearing the wrong kind of baseball cap or they got a whiff of booze on peoples breathe.

The stewards have more power than the police and it is frightening how many are prepared to abuse the authority they have over us and matters are getting worse across the country. I'd urge you, who I think have a good relationship with your club, to challenge Reading, get them to stop making excuses and sort this problem out before it explodes in your faces.

The only success story I'm aware of is at Leicester who had similar issues to you; one afternoon matters came to a head and thereafter the club proactively called a meeting to which all concerned where invited, fans, police, safety people and club officials. As a direct result of this meeting the stewards backed off and the fans responded to the lead the club took and now all can enjoy their "match day experience". I'm fairly certain that the Foxes Trust had some involvement in the meeting.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 19 Oct 2006 08:54

We could always boycott the food and drink if this cr@p continues :evil:

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 19 Oct 2006 20:24

is this guy were talking about the guy who has been at the club for donkeys years? HE appears on the trip to wembley video, so he cant be that abd if hes stil there

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 20 Oct 2006 20:09

How about on sunday WHEN the tangos tell us to sit down, we reply with "stand up if you hate stewards!"

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 21 Oct 2006 22:08

got to be done :lol: