Now That's What I Call Football!!!!!!!!!!

121 posts
AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Oct 2006 21:44

LUX GG is, of course, exempt as she is a genuine Gooner.
and wasn't at the game today

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL

by PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL » 22 Oct 2006 21:49

realisticly are we all hoping arsenal win the league?
i personally would much prefer them to win it instead of chelsea or man u.
for the simple reason that arsenal play like champions not like the pathetic diving squad we saw last week

melksham_royal

by melksham_royal » 22 Oct 2006 21:51

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL realisticly are we all hoping arsenal win the league?
i personally would much prefer them to win it instead of chelsea or man u.
for the simple reason that arsenal play like champions not like the pathetic diving squad we saw last week

im purely anti chelsea, i don't mind man utd winning it. id like arsenal because they play the best football, but man utd have the most british players which is something i feel quite strongly about. either will do for me.

swansea jack

by swansea jack » 22 Oct 2006 21:52

Alan Partridge
holsgrove breaks a leg
Platypuss Feet back on the ground time for sure - probably not a bad thing to be honest.

It also looked like the events of last Saturday had had an effect - we just didn't get close enough to them all game.

If there were ever a time to play 4-5-1 this season it was then.
#

Totally agree, though in all honesty the way Arsenal palyed today they would have beaten anyone. I would say it was maybe Coppells first tactical bo bo by not employing 4-5-1 today. I would like to have seen Little on the right and Seol lurking in an attacking mid position with the hard working Doyle upfront. The way we play suits Arsenal completely, their counter attacking play was twice as good as our own so i think a tinkering in the formation from the start might have bought about a sturdier Reading.

The result didnt shock me really, we'll have to get used to similar scorelines in the future against the big boys. My only slight concern is our lack of goals and Kitson being out- Doyle is a hard worker but we cant expect everything to go through him. I'll reserve judgement on De La Cruz today, but i have to say if we can sort out Bikey's disciplinary record he could be the rough diamond to help out the Royals with Murty being out.

Don't forget Sodje. I've heard many a Brentford fan say they reckon he'll end up a full back.

Eh????? I've seen this guy against Swansea 3 times and he looked poor in every game. The guy is now 27 and I can't see him getting any better, even if it is at right back, especially as Murty seems to have this position own up when he is fit. Even BiGETSENTOFFALOTkey and DLC are in front of him...

I think this may be one of SC's, few, signing mistakes!?

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 22 Oct 2006 21:53

Arsenal= different gravy

melksham_royal

by melksham_royal » 22 Oct 2006 21:54

swansea jack
Alan Partridge
holsgrove breaks a leg
Platypuss Feet back on the ground time for sure - probably not a bad thing to be honest.

It also looked like the events of last Saturday had had an effect - we just didn't get close enough to them all game.

#

Totally agree, though in all honesty the way Arsenal palyed today they would have beaten anyone. I would say it was maybe Coppells first tactical bo bo by not employing 4-5-1 today. I would like to have seen Little on the right and Seol lurking in an attacking mid position with the hard working Doyle upfront. The way we play suits Arsenal completely, their counter attacking play was twice as good as our own so i think a tinkering in the formation from the start might have bought about a sturdier Reading.

The result didnt shock me really, we'll have to get used to similar scorelines in the future against the big boys. My only slight concern is our lack of goals and Kitson being out- Doyle is a hard worker but we cant expect everything to go through him. I'll reserve judgement on De La Cruz today, but i have to say if we can sort out Bikey's disciplinary record he could be the rough diamond to help out the Royals with Murty being out.

Don't forget Sodje. I've heard many a Brentford fan say they reckon he'll end up a full back.

Eh????? I've seen this guy against Swansea 3 times and he looked poor in every game. The guy is now 27 and I can't see him getting any better, even if it is at right back, especially as Murty seems to have this position own up when he is fit. Even BiGETSENTOFFALOTkey and DLC are in front of him...

biGETSENTOFFALOTkey. nice

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Oct 2006 22:03

swansea jack
Alan Partridge
holsgrove breaks a leg

#

but, he only made the step up from non-league a couple or three seasons ago ffs

Don't be a fool....Coppells not

swansea jack

by swansea jack » 22 Oct 2006 22:15

AthleticoSpizz
swansea jack
Alan Partridge
holsgrove breaks a leg

#

but, he only made the step up from non-league a couple or three seasons ago ffs

Don't be a fool....Coppells not

I don't think Coppell is a fool, I just think he may have made an error with Sodje as I don't think Sodje is a Premiership player...

p.s.
I know the odd African player may 'doctor' his age but it's all over the place on t'internet:

28 per:

[/url]http://www.football.co.uk/reading/players/sam_sodje_53970.shtml[url]

27 per:

http://home.skysports.com/player.aspx?plid=24768&clid=108&cpid=8

26 per:

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/fo/profiles/24366.html

:?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Oct 2006 22:18

well, we have a pretty successful reserve team to uphold these days

many a word of truth spoken in jest..........but the quality of the reserve oppostion has improved ten-fold this season

No more 9-0's against Woking etc etc

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 23 Oct 2006 00:06

Haven't read the whole of this thread so apologies if I repeat what others have said.

We were totally outclassed in every department by a team on top form. When Arsenal play to the best of their abilities, there isn't a team in the country who can match them. As much as it pains me to say this about an opposition team, they were a joy to watch and could have scored 6-7 on the day.

Even if we had Kitson and Murty fit, I doubt it would have made much difference today. The moment we went one nil down we were chasing the game, and against a team with as much skill and pace as Arsenal, you are always at risk of getting over run.

Lets just hope the lads bounce back from today and take some positives from the game and be thankful we only have to face Arsenal once more this season.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 23 Oct 2006 00:16

Big Ern Haven't read the whole of this thread so apologies if I repeat what others have said.

We were totally outclassed in every department by a team on top form. When Arsenal play to the best of their abilities, there isn't a team in the country who can match them. As much as it pains me to say this about an opposition team, they were a joy to watch and could have scored 6-7 on the day.

Even if we had Kitson and Murty fit, I doubt it would have made much difference today. The moment we went one nil down we were chasing the game, and against a team with as much skill and pace as Arsenal, you are always at risk of getting over run.

Lets just hope the lads bounce back from today and take some positives from the game and be thankful we only have to face Arsenal once more this season.

It's alright Ern, the rest of us thought we were unlucky and it was all the refs fault, he really was fcuking awful!!! Penalty? Have a word!! :twisted: :twisted:

:wink:

I am Steve Brown

by I am Steve Brown » 23 Oct 2006 07:36

I would like to thank Arsenal, for not underplaying us, and resting any of their players, following their midweek Champions League match. Was it me, or did our pitch not look big enough in the presence of Thierry Henry? He seemed to be everywhere, and where ever you looked to follow what was going on, there he was.
We thought we were a match for these teams, following our outings against Man Ure & Chelski, but this Arsenal team have to be the most complete team around at the moment. They are by far and away, the best team that I have seen us play, here and at Elm Park.
Let's hope the younger element of our squad have not been disheartened by the result, and use this as a lesson, and spring back.
We can still do this Premiership lark, but we are punching a just above our weight, and I feel that the next couple of games, apart from Liverpool, will help us regain some of our composure, and that we don't care who were playing attitude, that helped us last seasdon and at the start of this one.
So the mid term exam has happened, and we have been taught a much needed lesson by the masters, let's go on and learn from it.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 23 Oct 2006 07:52

The word team jumps out from almost every post, even the main man Henry is part of the team, you cannot say that about Rooney or Shevchenko, Wenger is probably the best team builder about, wether that will bring them success is another thing, however it was great football to watch, reminded me of Leeds v Southampton 7-0 all those years back in the 70's, now thats what you call a Premier Fixture.

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 23 Oct 2006 08:15

Avon Royal
Woodcote Royal I thought Long did well enough to get another chance down at Pompey.

By doing what exactly?

Yes, he ran around and challenged but did little else and don't recall him having a shot on target. He is not up to Premiership standard at the moment and I think we will struggle until we sign another experienced striker.

As for Arsenal, thats the best display of attacking, team football I ever have seen against a Reading side. Its a shame more fans didn't stay until the end to clap both teams off the field and acknowledge Arsenal's peformance.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 23 Oct 2006 08:22

Tilehurst Mike

As for Arsenal, thats the best display of attacking, team football I ever have seen against a Reading side. Its a shame more fans didn't stay until the end to clap both teams off the field and acknowledge Arsenal's peformance.

You are joking.

No it's not a shame.

Yes Arsenal were very very good and they stuffed us. In answer to RR's question, no it gave me no pleasure to see that Arsenal display.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 23 Oct 2006 08:22

Yesterday was why we have strived for all those years to get to the top of the football mountain; a fantastic game where, though we were stuffed out of sight i thought we didn't EVER give up, and we battled and showed a lot of courage, committment and not a little skill.

As a football fan there are times when you have to put your hands up and acknowledge that the opposition were simply a class above you (as many of our opponents did last season), Arsenal were awesome and as has been said, if they play like that (cos that wasn't them playing a poor team out there) they will have a great chance of winning the Premiership.

I feel that we need to find another 5 or 10% within the final third of the pitch to convert great situations into goal scoring opportunities, and goal scoring opportunities into goals, and that having played a quarter of the season it means we have to re-double efforts into introducing more quality into the squad in january.

Incidentally, for all those people who said "we need Premiership experience" back in August - De La Cruz has played 80 times for Villa at this level, yet looked far and away the least effective player in hooped shirt yesterday.

Royal Fleet

by Royal Fleet » 23 Oct 2006 08:35

LUX In answer to RR's question, no it gave me no pleasure to see that Arsenal display.

Are you hoping we get relegated this season then, so we can go back to beating teams more often than not? I for one felt privileged to have seen that yesterday, it will also make the occasions where we battle to a win all the sweeter.

I have loved the football we have seen this season, both from us and the opposition. Given the choice between watching yesterday and beating a hit-and-hope Barnsley, I know where I would rather be.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 23 Oct 2006 08:38

Mr Angry As a football fan there are times when you have to put your hands up and acknowledge that the opposition were simply a class above you (as many of our opponents did last season), Arsenal were awesome and as has been said, if they play like that (cos that wasn't them playing a poor team out there) they will have a great chance of winning the Premiership.

Agree with your comments Mr A. Cardiff last season springs to mind for me. Had a few post match in the city centre and got chatting to a number of Cardiff fans who were just in awe of our two performances against them. No bitterness, just acceptance that they were beaten by a vastly superior side.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 23 Oct 2006 08:39

LUX
Tilehurst Mike

You are joking.

No it's not a shame.

Yes Arsenal were very very good and they stuffed us. In answer to RR's question, no it gave me no pleasure to see that Arsenal display.

Me neither. I can appreciate the fact that Arsenal are a class act but I did not enjoy seeing us get torn apart in that manner.

Agree regarding squad depth. DLC looked very poor yesterday and whilst Long is one for the future, as I said in pre-season, if we're in a situation where he's having to start quite a lot of games, we could be in trouble.

That aside, I fully expected us to be on the wrong end of some spankings this season and Arsenal were always more likely to do it than Chelsea or Man Utd. It's all about how we respond away at Pompey. A draw would be an excellent result.
Last edited by southbank1871 on 23 Oct 2006 08:41, edited 1 time in total.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 23 Oct 2006 08:40

Yes they were good, but FFS...

121 posts