Reading's defending yesterday was terrible

Reading West

by Reading West » 23 Oct 2006 12:52

It was interesting watching Andy Gray's post match analysis with his touch screen, where he mentioned that Sonko could have come closer for to Henry for the first goal but the shot was so precise and instant, there wasn't much else sonks could have done about it, also Gray accused Ivar of ball watching for the 2nd (or was the 3rd) goal.

The guys will have to dust themselves downand look at the pompey game, I'm just wondering if tactically more could have been done, as a lot of the pundits were mentioning before that Readings style of play will suit Arsenal even Lawro mentioned that when thought we would lose 0-2(if only).

It'll be interesting to see if SC has another game plan to try and negate a team like arsenal(or at least a damage limitation excercise after the 2nd/3rd goal went in).

Unfortunately with Kitson Injured and not having Target man to help hold up play and relieve the pressure we might be limited in game plans.

East Stand Ste

Re: Reading's defending yesterday was terrible

by East Stand Ste » 23 Oct 2006 16:53

Just a thought, go to the game and THEN comment on it.

Garry Mann OK - I only saw match of the day but the team were just not switched on as they have been in previous games. Two minutes in and you leave Henry unmarked on the edge of the box, what is that all about? And Harper's attempted tackle was rubbish. Many a time you were split open far too easily, no one was following the runners, simple defending and you were lucky the score was only 4.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Oct 2006 21:00

Interesting comment form a Man Utd STH at work today:

"Don't let it bother you, they ran rings round us at OT too".

The Insider

by The Insider » 24 Oct 2006 09:43

I think the main difference between Arsenal and any other team we will face this season, is that they don't play with any 'natural' strikers.

I fully believe Sonko and Inga are excellent 'marking' centre backs, and this was reflected when Drogba and Schevchenko were kept incredibly quiet throughout. This has also been proven against the other conventional sides we have faced.

Unfortunately Arsenal do not allow you the luxury or option of man marking, as their players play a fluid system. You could argue that Henry is a Centre Forward, however you will have noticed how often he pulls right back into Centre midfield or on the wings. This makes it difficult to mark him, unless you want Sonks following him around the pitch.

Arsenal have pace and invention in abundance , and are much more comfortable pulling deep and running at players, rather than using a centre forward to hold up the ball with his back to goal. No other team could get away with this strategy, because they would lack the movement or pace to penetrate the back 4.

We could definitely have done things better, the team are not blameless, but I can only applaud the defence for their performances up until the Arsenal game, and they'll bounce right back this Saturday.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 24 Oct 2006 09:57

Reading West It was interesting watching Andy Gray's post match analysis with his touch screen, where he mentioned that Sonko could have come closer for to Henry for the first goal but the shot was so precise and instant, there wasn't much else sonks could have done about it

The problem isnt that Sonko didn't get to Henry quick enough after he got the ball more the fact that he let Henry take a few steps backwards in the penalty area without following him. If he had then Henry wouldn't have had teh time and space to receive the ball.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 24 Oct 2006 11:34

Reading West It was interesting watching Andy Gray's post match analysis with his touch screen, where he mentioned that Sonko could have come closer for to Henry for the first goal but the shot was so precise and instant, there wasn't much else sonks could have done about it, also Gray accused Ivar of ball watching for the 2nd (or was the 3rd) goal.

The guys will have to dust themselves downand look at the pompey game, I'm just wondering if tactically more could have been done, as a lot of the pundits were mentioning before that Readings style of play will suit Arsenal even Lawro mentioned that when thought we would lose 0-2(if only).

It'll be interesting to see if SC has another game plan to try and negate a team like arsenal(or at least a damage limitation excercise after the 2nd/3rd goal went in).

Unfortunately with Kitson Injured and not having Target man to help hold up play and relieve the pressure we might be limited in game plans.

I think from what Andy Gray showed on his touch screen Sonko was unsure whether to mark Henry or maybe cut out a low cross played across the face of goal. Murty said on Radio Berkshire that Inga and Sonks didnt know how to deal with Henry as he like 6 or 7 of the Arsenal players go wherever they like. Total football like that is hard to deal with because if either had followed Henry around the pitch there would have been huge gaps in the centre of defence. In the end they were left in no mans land, and that was all because of the way Arsenal played.

Gatecrasher

by Gatecrasher » 24 Oct 2006 12:54

on seeing the first goal on TV it was just a superb finish. Sonko probably expected Henry to take a touch before shooting so stood off him, but he passed it into the net first touch, making it look ridiculously easy in the process

SeolSurvivor

by SeolSurvivor » 24 Oct 2006 18:08

The Insider I think the main difference between Arsenal and any other team we will face this season, is that they don't play with any 'natural' strikers.

I fully believe Sonko and Inga are excellent 'marking' centre backs, and this was reflected when Drogba and Schevchenko were kept incredibly quiet throughout. This has also been proven against the other conventional sides we have faced.

Unfortunately Arsenal do not allow you the luxury or option of man marking, as their players play a fluid system. You could argue that Henry is a Centre Forward, however you will have noticed how often he pulls right back into Centre midfield or on the wings. This makes it difficult to mark him, unless you want Sonks following him around the pitch.

Arsenal have pace and invention in abundance , and are much more comfortable pulling deep and running at players, rather than using a centre forward to hold up the ball with his back to goal. No other team could get away with this strategy, because they would lack the movement or pace to penetrate the back 4.

We could definitely have done things better, the team are not blameless, but I can only applaud the defence for their performances up until the Arsenal game, and they'll bounce right back this Saturday.

Couldn't agree more~

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 24 Oct 2006 18:47

The performances up until now have been excellent, and im well happy with our start to the premiership, but i thought we were utter rubbish on Sun. We didnt put our foot at all, stood off Arsenal pretty much all game, our team selection was poor (Little came on far too late), and the players decision making was poor. Yes Arsenal were excellent, but much of that in my view we allowed them to be excellent, and thats not what Reading do.

Im totally confident it was just a bad day at the office, and will have no reflection on the season to come, but to keep harping on about how good Arsenal were and deflect blame on us is wrong, quite simply we were rubbish from manager down to un-used subs.

Banjax

by Banjax » 25 Oct 2006 13:45

They out played us pure and simple, its hard to admit but its unfortunatly true although i think De la cruz really let us down

and i agree you shouldn't make comments purely from watching MOTD

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 25 Oct 2006 13:52

coppell's statement - do we go for damage limitation or do we or do we continue to go for it - of said it all

We could have gone 5 across the middle at half time and maybe kept it at 2-0 but he decided to keep going for it and lost another couple of goals.