Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 04 Nov 2006 22:16

Legend
Elm Park Forever
Pompey 97
Newcastle 96
Liverpool 96

Iv just got back from the Liverpool game (living in Birmingham) and there is no way that they can be the third loudest in the prem. They only started singing once they went 2-0 up and even then we sang more than they did.

Portsmouth game this season was probably the loudest home support I have ever seen though. Theres not many of them but they sure do make a racket

I was in the KOP and didn't hear a peep out of Reading. What you have to remember is that was a nothing game for Liverpool, equivelent of us playing Crewe at home last season.

Sorry, but that's just rubbish.

I was in the Kop end of the main stand and could hear the Reading fans loud and clear.

The Liverpool "support" was simply shocking.

bracknell loyal royal!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bracknell loyal royal! » 04 Nov 2006 22:42

Avon Royal
Legend
Elm Park Forever
Pompey 97
Newcastle 96
Liverpool 96

Iv just got back from the Liverpool game (living in Birmingham) and there is no way that they can be the third loudest in the prem. They only started singing once they went 2-0 up and even then we sang more than they did.

Portsmouth game this season was probably the loudest home support I have ever seen though. Theres not many of them but they sure do make a racket

I was in the KOP and didn't hear a peep out of Reading. What you have to remember is that was a nothing game for Liverpool, equivelent of us playing Crewe at home last season.

I was in the Kop end of the main stand and could hear the Reading fans loud and clear.

LOLegend

bassavage

by bassavage » 04 Nov 2006 23:39

Liverpool 96???????? Blackburn 89?????????

Are they having a laugh?

by 1960 » 05 Nov 2006 12:36

Watford on MOTD during their first win. I hardly heard a peep out of them. They should have been going crazy.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 05 Nov 2006 13:59

For what its worth I will be banging on for the rest of the season about how disappointed I was with the so called "fanantical" following that Liverpool are meant to have.

"More noise in a Libary"

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Nov 2006 16:52

Legend
Elm Park Forever
Pompey 97
Newcastle 96
Liverpool 96

I seem to remember we attached quite an importance to every point, regardless of opposition, last season!

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 05 Nov 2006 17:15

bassavage Liverpool 96???????? Blackburn 89?????????

Are they having a laugh?

Can't believe the way people pull apart these studies. As explained, volume (however it was done) was measured for a handful of games, and these are the results, deal with it.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Nov 2006 22:26

I thought the atmosphere from the Liverpool fans in the cup game was poor and I put that down to being a cup game, reserve team, etc but they were a hell of a lot louder that night than yesterday. Very, very poor for supposedly passionate fans.

M0J0

by M0J0 » 06 Nov 2006 00:51

Avon Royal
Legend
Elm Park Forever
Pompey 97
Newcastle 96
Liverpool 96

I don't wish to brag...BUT...I managed to score a couple of tickets for a
champagne reception with lunch,a tour of Anfield and a free BAR...in the legends lounge and seats in the directors box...sat a couple of rows behind JM...SC..for a short time..Chris.de Burgh..lots of ex Liverpool players and some of their injured players..AND on the halfway line
SO i wont ...brag that is

The point is ..from the halfway line let me assure all the fans of both teams Reading fans were louder for at least 90% of the game...
when the Kop finally sang....and it was in response to the Reading fans goading them that they did sing..and not as a result of their 2nd goal..
then they were loud...very loud.. and probably explains the results quoted... but they were quiet for most of the game.

And i must say before closing i was at the cup game in the away end and though we sang most of the game Saturday was very imressive and i know JM liked it..so well done all and more in the future

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 06 Nov 2006 02:18

cmonurz
bassavage Liverpool 96????????

Can't believe the way people pull apart these studies. As explained, volume (however it was done) was measured for a handful of games, and these are the results, deal with it.
I can only presume they measured the volume at Anfield just before kick-off when they were singing along to Gerry and the Pacemakers, and then switched off the equipment.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 06 Nov 2006 09:02

Avon Royal
Legend
Elm Park Forever
Pompey 97
Newcastle 96
Liverpool 96

What you have to remember is that Finch is a Liverpool fan, so he's got another agenda.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 06 Nov 2006 09:03

southbank1871
Avon Royal
Legend
Elm Park Forever
Pompey 97
Newcastle 96
Liverpool 96

What you have to remember is that Finch is a Liverpool fan, so he's got another agenda.

And he's a cock

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 06 Nov 2006 09:07

Deadlock I can only presume they measured the volume at Anfield just before kick-off when they were singing along to Gerry and the Pacemakers, and then switched off the equipment.

So you spotted the mahoosive microphones, hung from the roof in the four corners of the ground as well :wink:

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 06 Nov 2006 09:16

Being objective about the subject isn't easy, but I'll try to be.

One of the things I was looking forward to this season was going to some of the great Footballing arena's, seeing my team run out against the best of the best, and seeing and hearing huge crowds overwhelm us with noise, vibrancy and passion.......and without exception, I have been disappointed ESPECIALLY on Saturday.

I expected a non stop wave of noise to emanate from all sections of the ground, but at times the loudest thing you could hear were the sounds of camera phones taking pictures of the Liverpool players.

I suspect that its because there are so many tourists who go to watch liverpool (and I suspect the other footballing instituions); in the pub next to the ground at lunchtime and sat with Liverpool fans, it became clear they weren't scousers - they came from Oslo. On the other side of me another group of guys - also from Norway, but not part of the same group!

Whilst everyone I met was friendly and welcoming, I did find it a little disconcerting that so many of the fans weren't locals - and you have to think that dilutes the amount of noise generated by the 40,000 home supporters.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 06 Nov 2006 13:07

Mr Angry Being objective about the subject isn't easy, but I'll try to be.

One of the things I was looking forward to this season was going to some of the great Footballing arena's, seeing my team run out against the best of the best, and seeing and hearing huge crowds overwhelm us with noise, vibrancy and passion.......and without exception, I have been disappointed ESPECIALLY on Saturday.

I expected a non stop wave of noise to emanate from all sections of the ground, but at times the loudest thing you could hear were the sounds of camera phones taking pictures of the Liverpool players.

I suspect that its because there are so many tourists who go to watch liverpool (and I suspect the other footballing instituions); in the pub next to the ground at lunchtime and sat with Liverpool fans, it became clear they weren't scousers - they came from Oslo. On the other side of me another group of guys - also from Norway, but not part of the same group!

Whilst everyone I met was friendly and welcoming, I did find it a little disconcerting that so many of the fans weren't locals - and you have to think that dilutes the amount of noise generated by the 40,000 home supporters.

Indeed, I was thinking this before the game. Stood in The Albert, all we heard were Norwegians with the odd Scouse accent thrown in. Bizarrely, it was a case of "spot the scouse accent" in the middle of Liverpool!

As for the topic starter, quite how Wigan and Blackburn are up there is beyond me. However, no arguments about Pompey's fans being the loudest. Although I dislike them, I can't wait to go there if and when they get a bigger (hopefully all enclosed) stadium. They were loud.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Nov 2006 13:17

handbags_harris

Indeed, I was thinking this before the game. Stood in The Albert, all we heard were Norwegians with the odd Scouse accent thrown in. Bizarrely, it was a case of "spot the scouse accent" in the middle of Liverpool!

As for the topic starter, quite how Wigan and Blackburn are up there is beyond me. However, no arguments about Pompey's fans being the loudest. Although I dislike them, I can't wait to go there if and when they get a bigger (hopefully all enclosed) stadium. They were loud.

Because they are!

What the results printed on here do not show is that the survey also measured the length of time fans sung during 90 minutes and the variety and originality of songs. Not sure where they have been published but would give a much rounder picture.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 06 Nov 2006 13:22

Stranded
handbags_harris

Because they are!

What the results printed on here do not show is that the survey also measured the length of time fans sung during 90 minutes and the variety and originality of songs. Not sure where they have been published but would give a much rounder picture.

Well speaking from experience at the Wigan game, they hardly sung at all. The only noise they made was when they scored really, or near the end when we were pushing forward. They must have made a hell of a din over the other 4 games to make where they are in that little league. Which is why I can't believe they are where they are.

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL

by PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL » 06 Nov 2006 13:23

sheffield are louder than us? :shock:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Nov 2006 13:28

handbags_harris
Stranded
handbags_harris

Because they are!

Well speaking from experience at the Wigan game, they hardly sung at all. The only noise they made was when they scored really, or near the end when we were pushing forward. They must have made a hell of a din over the other 4 games to make where they are in that little league. Which is why I can't believe they are where they are.

Well without knowing the full results of the report I can't be 100% sure but they must have peaked at that volume or around in each game but only for a short period of time hence why the other table is needed to get a proper read on this.

For example, Sheff Utd had an average loud chant of 91 and we were 84. What we can't see is if that noise was over say 15mins or 50mins.

I'd rather a crowd was quieter but more consistantly noisy than quiet for most of the time but really loud at certain points.

blade 1

by blade 1 » 06 Nov 2006 14:14

For example, Sheff Utd had an average loud chant of 91 and we were 84. What we can't see is if that noise was over say 15mins or 50mins

its been loud consistently this year, apart from in the game against you where there really was nothing to cheer about because we played like a bunch of piss artists