A few observations from yesterday

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: A few observations from yesterday

by floyd__streete » 05 Nov 2006 12:40

Woodcote Royal So, your blind spot covers reading big or small "R"

Another sensational comeback. Right up there with Floyd "knows fcuk all about football" Streete - an insult on a par with Prince Regent's 'can't write a speech for toffee Mr Crappy Butler weed' in Blackadder III - and of course the wonderful w@nker sign from last week.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 05 Nov 2006 12:41

floyd__streete
Woodcote Royal So, your blind spot covers reading big or small "R"

Another sensational comeback. Right up there with Floyd "knows fcuk all about football" Streete - an insult on a par with Prince Regent's 'can't write a speech for toffee Mr Crappy Butler weed' in Blackadder III - and of course the wonderful w@nker sign from last week.

And there's more.............keep up

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 05 Nov 2006 12:56

I would have Kevin Doyle over Landon Donovan, and Donovan is a USA International with 80 odd caps.

Surely Hunt is playing at the moment because Coppell feels that Hunt can give more defensively than Convey at this moment.

When Coppell feels that we have a chance to dominate the flanks he'll play Convey.

Hunt is not as good as Convey attacking-wise but Convey is not as much as pain as Hunt is as spoiling the opponents play.

Different players, for different matches.

That's why we have a tight squad, competition for places and all that, if Convey is as good as some people say he is at this level, he'll be played when needed.

Nothing is set in stone and nothing should be taken for granted.

The problem for the manager is playing the best players to get a result for each and every game and the Premiership offers many headaches for Coppell.

We all have an opinion as to who our best starting eleven is, but every game brings different problems to work around.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 05 Nov 2006 13:09

floyd__streete Lining up so defensively as we did yesterday is useless when you concede such a soft goal after less than quarter of an hour. Why didn't we change things earlier? Stephen Hunt really isn't good enough to start Premiership games. Hahnemann can take a large amount of the blame for both goals. The first twenty minutes of the second half were the best we have played in several weeks. Perhaps Bikey can do a job in centre-midfield for us, unlike Harper who couldn't even be bothered to acknowledge the Reading support which applauded him off when he was substituted. We're going to to struggle to hold on to Sonko in January.

I'd say that was pretty much spot on.

The_Cat

by The_Cat » 05 Nov 2006 13:21

How can anyone say Hunt is premier league quality? He was absolutely woeful in the first half yesterday and in the second he improved a bit. Yes he gives 110% every match, but he lacks the talent that Convey has, Stephen Hunt is a rich mans version of Andy Hughes where as Bobby Convey is a premier league class left winger. The sooner Convey returns the better.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 05 Nov 2006 13:23

I don't think Hunt or Convey are any great shakes but Hunt runs about a lot,gets in the way a lot and once in a while provides a decent cross.
Convey so far this season has loked as though he should be playing U16 football as long as nobody tacles.
Last week at Pompey he looked totally lost and contributed almost nothing to the game.
That's not to say that others didn't either but we are making comparisons between these two.

Last season I said that I felt Ashley Young of Watford was way ahead of Bobby and this season he now looks about 3 divisions better.
We all have to hope that Boby's ineffectiveness is down to his injury problem but so far his contribution to our season and in particular in away games at Wigan and Pompey has been almost zilch.
BTW Hunt cost almost £1 million less than Convey and that's why some of us are prepared to forgive his lack of skill at times.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 05 Nov 2006 13:32

The_Cat How can anyone say Hunt is premier league quality? He was absolutely woeful in the first half yesterday and in the second he improved a bit. Yes he gives 110% every match, but he lacks the talent that Convey has, Stephen Hunt is a rich mans version of Andy Hughes where as Bobby Convey is a premier league class left winger. The sooner Convey returns the better.

I think Hunt is Premier League quality, he's not the best player in our side by any stretch but he can play at this level.

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL

by PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL » 05 Nov 2006 13:33

ingimarrson was at fault for their first yesturday, the ref was at fault for the second, little and hunt were brilliant in the second half

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Nov 2006 13:35

Convey isn't in the team because he isn't fit.

If he was fit he'd be playing.

People might as well be moaning that Kitson should be in instead of Lita or Long.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 05 Nov 2006 13:38

Hunt had a very good game. I really can't see how anyone could judge otherwise. He was our main threat. It's a shame he didn't put away his one chance. He also missed a good chance against Chelsea if I remember correctly (or was it Arsenal?).

ESTIM8R

by ESTIM8R » 05 Nov 2006 13:59

I would rate the entire Team yesterday as an "F". No pace, no imagination, no heart!!!
Bikey took 2 minutes to become the best player on the pitch with a drive to the net that would have put fear into anyone's soul. that is the way you attack the opposition!
The game as a whole was utter crap, no flashes of brilliance or attempt to control it. This was Liddypool's game from the opening whistle and they ran around us and fortunately they weren't on top form or they would have hammered us good and proper.

This year I have been fortunate to watch all but three matches (Villa,Ham and Pompey) and Reading in all but the Arse game were competitive in all of them. They didn't look anything like a Championship winning side but a "full on" Premiership side without any disclaimers. They deserve to be where they are (and still do) but now they must deal with a situation that none of them in the last two years have had to deal with: a losing streak of 5 games. This is something the entire Team has to take on as a challenge and conquer. SC said at the beginning of the season that this particular stretch of games was going to be difficult and they would be lucky to get points, and they have succeded in doing so!! You can't go into a game with the attitude that a point is all you can hope for, you must attack every opponent and match the same way, Victory or Death!!!
This Team is suffering from a lack of identity(runaway Champs last year, Premiership hopefuls this year). This is where SC earns his money, turning the corner and looking at what is coming, the next game. There is no time for wallowing in pity, it's time to win again.
Let's get back to Reading football and control our own destiny, get back to the Team that got us 13 points and find the winning touch. Take each game as it comes and forget yesterday.
I for one was totally pissed at yesterday's effort and we all have the right to curse and swear, but now we look forward to Spurs and taking 3 points!! SC, lay into the lads and get the fire back under their arses and give the Premiership a Teanworthy of their praise, not their sympathy!!!!!

Thank you and good night.

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 05 Nov 2006 14:39

Floyde, what happened with you and the steward/fans towards the end of the game?! Noticed this from my seat after a big cheer went up because you were having a go at the steward! Fair play, they were crap.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 Nov 2006 15:13

floyd__streete
Woodcote Royal Hunt is showing every sign of devleloping into a player just as good BC

Convey is a regular in a United States national side ranked many places above the ROI side that Hunt isn't even close to breaking into.

But don't let facts cloud Woodcote Royal's argument.
I don't think Steve Coppel picks the team players based on International appearances and FIFA world rankings.

irishroyal81

by irishroyal81 » 05 Nov 2006 15:47

Forbury Lion
floyd__streete
Woodcote Royal Hunt is showing every sign of devleloping into a player just as good BC

Convey is a regular in a United States national side ranked many places above the ROI side that Hunt isn't even close to breaking into.

But don't let facts cloud Woodcote Royal's argument.
I don't think Steve Coppel picks the team players based on International appearances and FIFA world rankings.

also let it be known that Ireland has an abudance of left wingers, duff, kilbane, mcgeady, andy reid. on present form though hunt is very close to a call up

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 Nov 2006 15:56

Hunt is a decent reserve, gives his all but he lacks quality and Convey is much better.

JezD

by JezD » 05 Nov 2006 16:05

Hunts the kind of player whose good to bring on for the last 10 minutes and use him to run at the defence and maybe create some opportunities. If I were SC I definately wouldn't start with Hunt on the wing

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 05 Nov 2006 17:04

An observation of mine from yesterday, everygame i see Bikey play Midfield in is a game i see him look more comfortable and better. I really think he'd do well as a James Harper replacement (the more defensive midfielder) partnered with either Sidwell or Oster. At the moment I'm seeing slick passing from Oster but not from so much from Sidwell.

I'd really like to see those two build up a partnership in the reserves and see if they can break through to some starts for the first team and go from there.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 05 Nov 2006 17:09

As I have posted before, Harper is suffering because he ISN'T a defensive midfielder. We would see a lot more from James if he was one of two attacking midfielders, with Sidwell, and Bikey or Gunnarsson the holding player (I'd have the Icelander in midfield and Bikey at right-back, personally).

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 05 Nov 2006 18:30

cmonurz As I have posted before, Harper is suffering because he ISN'T a defensive midfielder.

Coppell seems to think he IS a defensive midfielder - and said so at a fans forum, I believe.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 05 Nov 2006 18:45

floyd__streete Lining up so defensively as we did yesterday is useless when you concede such a soft goal after less than quarter of an hour. Why didn't we change things earlier? Stephen Hunt really isn't good enough to start Premiership games. Hahnemann can take a large amount of the blame for both goals. The first twenty minutes of the second half were the best we have played in several weeks. Perhaps Bikey can do a job in centre-midfield for us, unlike Harper who couldn't even be bothered to acknowledge the Reading support which applauded him off when he was substituted. We're going to to struggle to hold on to Sonko in January.

That is the same Hunt that was rated as our best outfield player in The Times?