You're Not Signing Any More!

Andy M

You're Not Signing Any More!

by Andy M » 13 Nov 2006 14:24

At the rate your club are banning fans, I thought you may like a read of our latest efforts...

While http://www.standupsitdown.co.ukcontinue in their efforts to try and achieve a common sense solution to the issue of standing in our football grounds it would seem from the feedback that reaches us that more and more supporters are increasingly disgruntled with many other issues; draconian and sometimes excessive stewarding, arrests for reasons that many would deem trivial (and a waste of tax payers money) that have lead to banning orders, atmospheres that are akin to visiting your local library, match day announcers and music drowning out traditional chanting and the increasing manipulation of fans to support their clubs in ways officialdom feel appropriate.

Fans of some clubs are fighting back with varying degrees of success. Arsenals’ Red Action are given absurd “health and safetyâ€

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Nov 2006 14:28

How many fans have we banned for purely standing up then? :?

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 13 Nov 2006 14:35

I have never encountered any of the problems sensationalised in this thread, yet I regularly stand up, shout, swear and even make rude hand gestures at football stadia across the country.

It's a funny old game.

Volvicanus
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Volvicanus » 13 Nov 2006 14:59

At the risk of a whoosh here - do you mean your petition?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 13 Nov 2006 15:04

what arent we signing?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: You're Not Signing Any More!

by Forbury Lion » 13 Nov 2006 15:06

Andy M At the rate your club are banning fans, I thought you may like a read of our latest efforts...
Can you summarise please as I don't have time to read all that.

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 13 Nov 2006 15:47

Andy M At the rate your club are banning fans, I thought you may like a read of our latest efforts...

You thought wrong. :lol:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Nov 2006 16:30

Andy - please get your facts straight before launching into petition mode - again. A couple of fans have been given banning orders for throwing objects at the Chelsea fans - whether these have been appealed yet or what, I don't know. But you show me the rate that we're banning fans for standing up and I'll read your petition. :roll:

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 13 Nov 2006 16:36

Give him/her? a break FFS. I've had plenty of unpleasant experiences with stewards at Reading. Add to this the subtle sanitisation of the football experience at Reading there are undoubtedly issues that need addressing.
For me I just want the freedom to stand infront of my seat (not terracing) if those behind me are likeminded and also don't mind standing. That is all.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Nov 2006 16:39

He made a comment "at the rate your club is banning fans" and I am merely asking him to justify that comment - his petition do-dah is to do with being allowed to stand. I am merely pointing out that as far as I am aware, no-one has been banned for standing. Why shouldn't I counter his claims?

Skin
Hob Nob Regular

by Skin » 13 Nov 2006 16:55

Royal Lady He made a comment "at the rate your club is banning fans" and I am merely asking him to justify that comment - his petition do-dah is to do with being allowed to stand. I am merely pointing out that as far as I am aware, no-one has been banned for standing. Why shouldn't I counter his claims?

I agree with your point, FTR I asked STAR to confirm (to their knowledge) how many fans have been banned this season for standing alone. Until Sat it appears there have been no banning orders for standing alone, but there have been in the past seasons so it's certainly not just an empty threat.
I know its a health and safety issue, which seems just one of many that is totally unjustified IMO, and although its tolerated, you or I are more likely to be injured walking up or down the steps to/from my seat than standing in front of it, so whats next, padded steps? seatbelts on seats?

Andy M

by Andy M » 13 Nov 2006 17:29

The petition is indeed about being allowed to stand; this article covers the many other issues that are brought to our attention that you could argue lead back to the standing issue, hence my opening remark.

I know you had trouble with Chelsea a few weeks ago, but I've since heard of fans being banned for what some may argue are trivial issues. I can't divulge confidences as the people banned may be appealing.

It would seem that your Mr Doyle is indeed intent on ridding Reading FC of "yobs" and his definition of a yob is apparently extremely broad.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 13 Nov 2006 18:00

Skin
Royal Lady He made a comment "at the rate your club is banning fans" and I am merely asking him to justify that comment - his petition do-dah is to do with being allowed to stand. I am merely pointing out that as far as I am aware, no-one has been banned for standing. Why shouldn't I counter his claims?

I agree with your point, FTR I asked STAR to confirm (to their knowledge) how many fans have been banned this season for standing alone. Until Sat it appears there have been no banning orders for standing alone, but there have been in the past seasons so it's certainly not just an empty threat.
I know its a health and safety issue, which seems just one of many that is totally unjustified IMO, and although its tolerated, you or I are more likely to be injured walking up or down the steps to/from my seat than standing in front of it, so whats next, padded steps? seatbelts on seats?

whats next?
signs warning you about flying footballs?

Volvicanus
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Volvicanus » 13 Nov 2006 18:39

Let me get this straight - Andy M is a woman?

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 13 Nov 2006 18:42

Volvicanus Let me get this straight - Andy M is a woman?

Well if Andy is a woman you won't be getting it straight now will you? :wink:

Skin
Hob Nob Regular

by Skin » 13 Nov 2006 18:53

weybridgewanderer
Skin

whats next?
signs warning you about flying footballs?

LOL :lol: Its all happening!

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 13 Nov 2006 22:17

Volvicanus Let me get this straight - Andy M is a woman?

And Boney M is what?

I'm very confused?

Has Boney M signed a petition not to sit down during his / her performances?

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 14 Nov 2006 00:29

Andy M SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM...SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM...SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM...SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM...SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM...SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM...SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM...SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM...SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM...SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM...SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM...SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM...SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM...

I have taken the time to sumarise your post :lol:

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 14 Nov 2006 20:35

[quote="Andy M"]At the rate your club are banning fans, I thought you may like a read of our latest efforts...

While http://www.standupsitdown.co.ukcontinue in their efforts to try and achieve a common sense solution to the issue of standing in our football grounds it would seem from the feedback that reaches us that more and more supporters are increasingly disgruntled with many other issues; draconian and sometimes excessive stewarding, arrests for reasons that many would deem trivial (and a waste of tax payers money) that have lead to banning orders, atmospheres that are akin to visiting your local library, match day announcers and music drowning out traditional chanting and the increasing manipulation of fans to support their clubs in ways officialdom feel appropriate.

Fans of some clubs are fighting back with varying degrees of success. Arsenals’ Red Action are given absurd “health and safetyâ€

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Nov 2006 20:52

These campaigns always bemuse me. I stand up, swear, make gestures, join in with abusive chants. I've never had grief from a steward. Maybe it's because I do it within the context of what's happening at the game at any given time. In defence of stewards, in my experience, the overwhelming majority of them know the difference between someone doing something in the heat of the moment and someone acting like a cock for the sake of it.

Who am I to judge incidents I've never witnessed though?
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 14 Nov 2006 20:54, edited 1 time in total.