Target Man

royals pete

by royals pete » 13 Nov 2006 23:05

Three goal scorers on Sunday, and everyone is looking for more !! Whats the world coming to. ?

You'll only push the prices up every timr a name is mentioned !

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 14 Nov 2006 09:22

I thought that they weren't looking for goals, more someone who can hold teh ball up for the tricky away games and when we're under pressure.

Jason Royal

by Jason Royal » 14 Nov 2006 10:36

This thread just goes to show that you would be hard pushed to find anyone on HNA? that knows what they're talking about.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 14 Nov 2006 11:07

we dont need another striker, we just need Kitson to be fit!

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 14 Nov 2006 11:15

I think the issue here is that we desperately miss a target man when we play either a) One of the top 4 or b) Away from home. We need to hold the ball up front to ease the pressure on the defence in both these instances and have been found lacking this season.

The win at West Ham is a great example of this - had they been any good going forward we would have lost last game as they were all over us for the second half. I know "if" is a big word but the possession percentages over the past few games have been heavily weighted against us.

Regardless of whether Kitson will be fit soon or not, we still need another target man in the transfer window in case he gets injured again.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 14 Nov 2006 11:20

We have a ready made solution already at the club.........

Andre Bikey!!!!! Who according to the official site is being given a go up front for the behind closed doors friendly against cheltenham!

Jason Royal

by Jason Royal » 14 Nov 2006 11:22

Only one Trevor Morley We have a ready made solution already at the club.........

Andre Bikey!!!!! Who according to the official site is being given a go up front for the behind closed doors friendly against cheltenham!

I agree, moving a defender up front is ideal. We now no longer need to sign a striker in January :lol:

Please see my previous post.

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 14 Nov 2006 11:34

Only one Trevor Morley We have a ready made solution already at the club.........

Bikey and Pikey (Freddie Eastwood) up front. What a combination!!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 Nov 2006 13:18

Whilst I like the idea of Bikey, even if it does work out, it leaves us short in other areas. We need either two strikers, or one if Bikey works, a midfielder and a defender in the window.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 14 Nov 2006 13:22

Royalee Whilst I like the idea of Bikey, even if it does work out, it leaves us short in other areas. We need either two strikers, or one if Bikey works, a midfielder and a defender in the window.

And I need a bigger house a faster car and a more of a slut girlfriend.... oh if only it was that simple!!!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 Nov 2006 13:23

Of course it's not always that simple, but I'm sure the club are capable of bringing these players in, especially with the money left over from lack of activity in the summer.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 14 Nov 2006 13:25

I'm sure McDermot is watching every game in Europe at the moment trying to find the players we need.

Saw someone mentioning American's earlier, Eddie Johnson's gotta be a good shout, what with our strong connections with the MLS and US national team. Young and powerful, the sort of player Coppell likes, surprised someone didn't take him after the world cup.

Only one Trevor Morley

by Only one Trevor Morley » 14 Nov 2006 13:26

Royalee Of course it's not always that simple, but I'm sure the club are capable of bringing these players in, especially with the money left over from lack of activity in the summer.

only if clubs are willing to sell - which they werent depsite us offering 5 million in the summer for Mensah

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 Nov 2006 13:32

I feel we looked at Mensah for far too long and could have pursued other players as it looked clear after a couple of weeks that it wasn't going to happen. The club themselves admitted that they gambled on big money players and didn't get any success and I'd have much preferred them to be looking back home for more players able to make the step up, like Seol has done for example.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 14 Nov 2006 13:39

Royalee Of course it's not always that simple, but I'm sure the club are capable of bringing these players in, especially with the money left over from lack of activity in the summer.

I for one don't believe that money is the issue. It is more than likely that either other clubs not wanting to sell, the players not wanting to come to 'little Reading' or what I believe is the stongest factor, there is nobody on the market in our price range that Coppell thinks would actually be better than what we have at present.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 Nov 2006 13:44

Hmm, we'll see in January and you have a fair point about the 'little Reading' scenario. However, with plans recently unveiled to expand the stadium and us coping reasonably well in the big league, we're bound to be in a much better position to market ourselves to potential signings than we were in the summer.

Only one Trevor Morley

by Only one Trevor Morley » 14 Nov 2006 13:44

londinium

I for one don't believe that money is the issue. It is more than likely that either other clubs not wanting to sell, the players not wanting to come to 'little Reading' or what I believe is the stongest factor, there is nobody on the market in our price range that Coppell thinks would actually be better than what we have at present.

Agreed.

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 14 Nov 2006 15:03

londinium
Royalee Whilst I like the idea of Bikey, even if it does work out, it leaves us short in other areas. We need either two strikers, or one if Bikey works, a midfielder and a defender in the window.

And I need a bigger house a faster car and a more of a slut girlfriend.... oh if only it was that simple!!!

:shock:

puts the football into perspective I suppose!

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 14 Nov 2006 15:20

skipper wrote:

we dont need another striker, we just need Kitson to be fit!

Agree to that ... on his day Kits is as good as any of the names mentioned on this thread ... why waste the money !

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Nov 2006 16:00

Dennis the Butler Agree to that ... on his day Kits is as good as any of the names mentioned on this thread ... why waste the money !

Because when he's either a) unfit, b) suspended, or c) out of form we need somebody to do the same job that we've lacked an option for whilst Kitson has been missing.

We also need a squad that contains some competition for places not to mention the fact we actually need to improve the side as well.

A relatively cheap similar type of player might be Richard Cresswell at Leeds. If Wise needs to generate some transfer funds he or Healy (not as a target man obviously) might be available. I think Horsfield is a better short term suggestion than some might think.

I'd expect any forward we bring in to be from abroad as the players already over here and better than our existing lot will not be tempted to Reading for the money we'll be able to offer.