yes
76%
no
24%

Total votes: 206
OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 15 Nov 2006 22:21

Skin Its for w@nkers lets face it.

Millions all over the world watch the Prem.

When we score and they hear us stop celebrating to do Tom Hark they must think what sad c**ts.

And that 'der! der! der! der! der! der! der! der! der! READING'! Fans from other clubs comment on how pathetic that sounds on TV. It sounds like a load of 7 year olds at their 1st game ever.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 16 Nov 2006 08:32

Skin P.S. West Stand Man did call everyone on here a 'sad minority' wanting tradition.. appologies for getting that wrong Wycombe.
WSM - Justify yourself.

Its simple really.

The voices that rail against Tom Hark are mostly on this board.

When Tom Hark is played the vast majority of the crowd is actively participating.

It is a reasonable assumption, therefore, that the majority do not object to it.

Hence the minority view is that which is represented by some on this board.

Next, to the 'sad' bit.

When the crowd picks up on Tom hark, shortly after the euphoria of the initial celebration is staring to fade, they are all happy and enjoying themselves.

Grumps who try to prevent others from enjoying themselves are sad people.

Case rests.

Do refer back to my past posts on this. I do not particularly like Tom Hark either, but I am not part of the fun gestapo who believe that it is their right to prevent the masses from enjoying it. The facts speak very clearly for themselves - just look around when Tom Hark is playing and you'll not see many people who are not joining in.

The real question that needs asking is 'why should it not be played?' Those who regularly post on here saying that it must go never really have a reason except that they don't like it. That is, to be blunt, very selfish. Tom Hark (or any other goal celebration music ) does not detract from the overall match experience for the majority - so why get rid of it to satisfy the grumpy old men (however young they may actually be)

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 16 Nov 2006 08:49

Skin And I said:
"I think you'll find its the MAJORITY on here that don't want it. Whether thats representitive of the whole fan base I couldn't tell you but I would hope for all our sakes it is."

Earlier you wrote this:
Earlier Skin so your saying that people on here are not wholly representative of the fans that attend games on a regular basis?

i think you are wrong.

So now you don't know whether HNA is representative of the whole fan base, but earlier you thought you did.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 16 Nov 2006 08:52

Wycombe Royal
Skin so your saying that people on here are not wholly representative of the fans that attend games on a regular basis?

i think you are wrong.

please enlighten me with how you back up your theory and where you have plucked the magical 5,000 from. or are you just talking out of your arse and actually believe people will believe you and that you can substantiate your claims? i'm astonished. no really i am.

No you're wrong. The majority people who post on this message are young men (14-30 ish) who are all for keeping football traditional.

Take a look around the Mad Stad next time you attend and see how many women, children, older people, families, etc that are there. Those are the people who get up and join in with Tom Hark.

I am astonished that you think this message board is a representative sample of a crowd at the Madejski Stadium on a matchday. Again you will be in the minority with that view.

Well said WR. It is interesting, I think, that it is that younger group (in general) who want to 'keep football traditional'. I am 52, been a Reading supporter through thick and thin since 1961, and I don't hanker after some artificial tradition that doesn't actually exist.

If these people are so keen to keep tradition why don't they hanker after the return of rattles, horns etc. The true traditionalist might have been a bit more amenable to the rumble stix, as they were pretty similar to a rattle (in the effect that they achieved).

In those halcyon days of 'traditional' football we also mixed with the opposition at half time and didn't try to beat the living daylights out of each other.

The truth is that the people who claim to be defending a tradition are not doing anything of the sort - they are simply trying to enforce their own image of the ideal football day out on to the rest of us. That is called bigotry.

Tennents Super
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Kicking and a gouging in the mud, and the blood and the beer.

by Tennents Super » 16 Nov 2006 09:22

West Stand Man Grumps who try to prevent others from enjoying themselves are sad people.

West Stand Man they are simply trying to enforce their own image of the ideal football day out on to the rest of us. That is called bigotry.

hy‧poc‧ri‧sy  /hɪˈpɒkrəsi/

–noun, plural -sies.
1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.
3. an act or instance of hypocrisy.

Nezhen

by Nezhen » 16 Nov 2006 09:51

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the way to go to get up to the PA announers (BTB kn*bjockeys) box to stop this Tom Hark sh*te at source come Saturday !

Any ideas ?

boycey

by boycey » 16 Nov 2006 09:55

West Stand Man
Wycombe Royal
Skin so your saying that people on here are not wholly representative of the fans that attend games on a regular basis?

i think you are wrong.

please enlighten me with how you back up your theory and where you have plucked the magical 5,000 from. or are you just talking out of your arse and actually believe people will believe you and that you can substantiate your claims? i'm astonished. no really i am.

No you're wrong. The majority people who post on this message are young men (14-30 ish) who are all for keeping football traditional.

Take a look around the Mad Stad next time you attend and see how many women, children, older people, families, etc that are there. Those are the people who get up and join in with Tom Hark.

I am astonished that you think this message board is a representative sample of a crowd at the Madejski Stadium on a matchday. Again you will be in the minority with that view.

Well said WR. It is interesting, I think, that it is that younger group (in general) who want to 'keep football traditional'. I am 52, been a Reading supporter through thick and thin since 1961, and I don't hanker after some artificial tradition that doesn't actually exist.

If these people are so keen to keep tradition why don't they hanker after the return of rattles, horns etc. The true traditionalist might have been a bit more amenable to the rumble stix, as they were pretty similar to a rattle (in the effect that they achieved).

In those halcyon days of 'traditional' football we also mixed with the opposition at half time and didn't try to beat the living daylights out of each other.

The truth is that the people who claim to be defending a tradition are not doing anything of the sort - they are simply trying to enforce their own image of the ideal football day out on to the rest of us. That is called bigotry.

absolute tosh!

not trying to enforce anything . just expressing a view .
if you , as a fully grown man want to jump up and down to songs written for 5 year olds . thats you're choice . I would prefer to lose the music and as a paying fan i'm entiltled to my opinion .

it's not about re-living the good old days , it's plain as the nose on you're face that if we dropped the stupid music the atmosphere would be better .

BTB are a farce . They should move to wycombe or slough town . we're premier league now! sort it out......

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 16 Nov 2006 09:58

I am resigned to the fact that we will always have music after goals.

But why can't we have something different?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 16 Nov 2006 10:03

boycey not trying to enforce anything . just expressing a view .
if you , as a fully grown man want to jump up and down to songs written for 5 year olds . thats you're choice . I would prefer to lose the music and as a paying fan i'm entiltled to my opinion .

Not quite! You're perfectly within your rights to not jump up and down to songs written for 5 year olds. There are others who want to (rightly or wrongly). What you want is to deny those who DO want to do this the chance to do so.

boycey it's plain as the nose on you're face that if we dropped the stupid music the atmosphere would be better .

You may be right - you may be wrong - but that's a massive statement to make with no arguments to back it up. You might think so, but no way is it as "plain as the nose on you're [sic] face"

You are entitled to your opinion, of course - but you seem to demand that what you want is forced onto everyone else without any arguments to back that up.

Don't think I'm defending TH, here, though, I'm just amazed at your "I am right, everyone else has to have what I want" attitude.
FWIW I think we ought to have something that is our own played after goals - everyone has TH.

boycey

by boycey » 16 Nov 2006 10:11

everyone agrees that the atmosphere has been superb this season .
so why do we need prompting by a bunch of do gooders who think we all need orchestrating .
FFS "back the boys and make some noise"... was maybe needed when we had a half empty ground , but it all just sounds so wrong now!
Newcastle , man u , liverpool etc... they dont have this tripe , so why should we? it makes us as a club look so tinpot it's untrue .

and it's not just my opinion . everyone I speak to agrees it's cringeworthy...

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 16 Nov 2006 10:29

boycey everyone agrees that the atmosphere has been superb this season .
so why do we need prompting by a bunch of do gooders who think we all need orchestrating .

Yes, they do agree that. Doesn't it undermine your argument somewhat that the atmosphere has been superb whilst TH, BTB, etc has been going on?

You might not, but a lot of people do need orchestrating - but of course it's all "me, me, me" with you, isn't it?

boycey

by boycey » 16 Nov 2006 10:35

err , no , not just me , think the result of this poll is 80% in favour of getting rid of it .

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 16 Nov 2006 11:45

West Stand Man When the crowd picks up on Tom hark, shortly after the euphoria of the initial celebration is staring to fade, they are all happy and enjoying themselves.

PLEASE PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ARSE!!

The euphoria starting to fade??? It has hardly got momentum when its ruined (by contrast) by the bloody music!! Have you not realised it mutes the 'proper/natural (heaven forbid)' celebrating. Do you really not see this?!

Please watch MOTD and providing we score Sat just observe what happens.

West Stand Man Grumps who try to prevent others from enjoying themselves are sad people.

Quite a statement. People who can justify a manufactured atmosphere when it is not required are the 'sad' ones as you so meticulously put it. If scoring a goal doesn't bring euphoria enough then the passion must be lacking as well in these people? Or are you saying the passion's there but pure football is not enough on its own you want an atmosphere like a wedding disco? If so then we really are going to have to agree to disagree.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Nov 2006 12:23

Now, I don’t join in with the TH dance and probably never will but I really don’t see the problem with it (I used to hate it, must have mellowed a bit). The fact is when a goal goes in, yes the crowd goes mental. Regardless of what you believe, this euphoria and in turn the noise level dies down.

By the time TH comes on the vast majority of people are still enjoying the moment but are not jumping up and down and singing – the players are heading back for kick off usually as well. Bringing the music in then allows those (and if you use your eyes you will see that they are a vast majority) to continue a form of celebration whilst awaiting the game to restart.

Once it’s restarted you normally hear the return of chanting from all sides. Now what exactly was the problem again apart from personal dislike of it.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular

by Skin » 16 Nov 2006 12:30

Stranded Now what exactly was the problem again apart from personal dislike of it.

*Immature mode on*

Its gayer than a gay man at a gay festival being gay.

*Immature mode off*

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Nov 2006 13:55

Skin
Stranded Now what exactly was the problem again apart from personal dislike of it.

*Immature mode on*

Its gayer than a gay man at a gay festival being gay.

*Immature mode off*

Could have at least written that in pink.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 16 Nov 2006 14:11

Even our goals seem choreographed, it really is embarassing at times. Goal goes in, everyone's happy

Then the drummer bangs his little drum so everyone can clap along READING der der der der

Don't you realise how shit this looks and sounds???

Also that 'new' come on Reading chant the drummer feels the need to start is the worst thing I've ever heard and I've listened to a whole Take That song before.

Drummer i know you read this forum PLEASE PLEASE STOP.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 16 Nov 2006 14:16

Tennents Super

West Stand Man they are simply trying to enforce their own image of the ideal football day out on to the rest of us. That is called bigotry.

hy‧poc‧ri‧sy  /hɪˈpɒkrəsi/

–noun, plural -sies.
1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.
3. an act or instance of hypocrisy.

I am only a human so you'll have to actually show me where the hypocricy in my post is? Or perhaps you don't actually know what it means?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 16 Nov 2006 14:21

Skin
West Stand Man When the crowd picks up on Tom hark, shortly after the euphoria of the initial celebration is staring to fade, they are all happy and enjoying themselves.

The euphoria starting to fade??? It has hardly got momentum when its ruined (by contrast) by the bloody music!! Have you not realised it mutes the 'proper/natural (heaven forbid)' celebrating. Do you really not see this?!

Quite a statement. People who can justify a manufactured atmosphere when it is not required are the 'sad' ones as you so meticulously put it. If scoring a goal doesn't bring euphoria enough then the passion must be lacking as well in these people? Or are you saying the passion's there but pure football is not enough on its own you want an atmosphere like a wedding disco? If so then we really are going to have to agree to disagree.

It is quite fun conversing with similar intellects, even disagreeing with them. I draw the line at dealing with lesser beings - so I am backing out of this one again. When your schooling is finished and you are capable of putting together a coherent argument based on opinions that are founded on facts please feel free to re-engage. Other wise leave the the attempts at intelligent chat to those who can cope with it.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular

by Skin » 16 Nov 2006 14:37

West Stand Man
Skin

It is quite fun conversing with similar intellects, even disagreeing with them. I draw the line at dealing with lesser beings - so I am backing out of this one again. When your schooling is finished and you are capable of putting together a coherent argument based on opinions that are founded on facts please feel free to re-engage. Other wise leave the the attempts at intelligent chat to those who can cope with it.

You really do come accross as very obnoxious.

Sorry I didn't want to come down to your level but it has to be said.

Like you said if you can't handle a debate then back out of it?

O'h ...

199 posts