RUMOUR - Eddie Johnson

160 posts
Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 16 Nov 2006 08:10

Just as an aside the EP this morning reports that Johnson used to be Convey's roommate in the US Under 20's.

Dangerous
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: 2006 HNA? Ryder Cup Prediction Winner! 2007/08 NFL Prediction League Winner! Retired.

by Dangerous » 16 Nov 2006 08:54

I think Johnson would be an excellent addition to our squad, have been really impressed with him whenever I have watched the US play, and a few of us mentioned him last summer as a potential signing for us.

Jason Royal

by Jason Royal » 16 Nov 2006 09:57

If he came to Reading with the typical American arrogant attitude, the likes of Little, Kitson, Murty and Harper would soon sort him out.

He'd be playing with players on a par and better than him, hes never had that before and would probably shut him up a bit.

Id give him a chance though.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 16 Nov 2006 12:00

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 16 Nov 2006 12:16

Josh Woolf is the better of the 2

turkish

by turkish » 16 Nov 2006 13:30

RFCMod Josh Woolf is the better of the 2

Josh Wolff was a speedy forward who created trouble but could not finish regularly. He is 29 now and has lost a step or three.. He would be lucky to sign with a CCC team or a BL2 team at this point in his career.. If you have Lita on the bench, there is not point in signing Wolff as he's half the player at this point.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 16 Nov 2006 13:47

turkish

Josh Wolff was a speedy forward who created trouble but could not finish regularly. He is 29 now and has lost a step or three.. He would be lucky to sign with a CCC team or a BL2 team at this point in his career.. If you have Lita on the bench, there is not point in signing Wolff as he's half the player at this point.

Good call actually,after I typed it I realised that hes not as good as we have got
Sometimes when watching MLS you forget that the players excelling are in fact mediocre players making shit players look shitter

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 16 Nov 2006 13:56

Johnson would be a great signing and I have no worries regarding his attitude. The fact he has 2 of his American team mates already here would stand him in good shape, and no doubt they'll go the lowdown of life in England.

jerad

by jerad » 16 Nov 2006 14:52

Jason Royal If he came to Reading with the typical American arrogant attitude

:lol: :roll:

american players are typically hard-working, tough, and good teammates because there is virtually no money in the game here. most of them only play because they truly love the game, and making it in europe is seen as a dream by many. and the ones that have made it big in europe like brian mcbride, brad friedel, claudio reyna, and steve cherundolo are generally the epitome of this characterization.

furthermore, each one of those men have university degrees because they came through the american system. we are only just now seeing young soccer players in the usa turn professional at the ages of 16 and 17... it wasn't even an option before mls came around in 1996. so most american players aren't uneducated, pampered, idiots like you sometimes see in europe.

however, that being said... johnson truly is the exception to the rule. he probably would have been an arrogant asshole if he were a janitor or a school teacher.

jerad

by jerad » 16 Nov 2006 14:59

RFCMod
turkish

Good call actually,after I typed it I realised that hes not as good as we have got
Sometimes when watching MLS you forget that the players excelling are in fact mediocre players making shit players look shitter

turkish is right. before his knee injuries, wolff could've been an effective premiership striker, but now he is only championship quality. plus, his finishing is autrocious.

although that can sometimes be true, mls is trickier than that. defenses are actually quite good. however, often times good players look bad because they are surrounded by players who don't make appropriate runs and passes. but its just like watching any mid to low level championship side (plenty of mistakes), only a slower possession oriented style of play with more skill.

Jason Royal

by Jason Royal » 16 Nov 2006 15:09

jerad

:lol: :roll:

american players are typically hard-working, tough, and good teammates because there is virtually no money in the game here. most of them only play because they truly love the game, and making it in europe is seen as a dream by many. and the ones that have made it big in europe like brian mcbride, brad friedel, claudio reyna, and steve cherundolo are generally the epitome of this characterization.

furthermore, each one of those men have university degrees because they came through the american system. we are only just now seeing young soccer players in the usa turn professional at the ages of 16 and 17... it wasn't even an option before mls came around in 1996. so most american players aren't uneducated, pampered, idiots like you sometimes see in europe.

however, that being said... johnson truly is the exception to the rule. he probably would have been an arrogant asshole if he were a janitor or a school teacher.

Hence my post you typical, American, obnoxious bastard. You're a cancer on the world I love

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 16 Nov 2006 15:52

Jason Royal Hence my post you typical, American, obnoxious bastard. You're a cancer on the world I love

I think you fall into the 'obnoxious bastard' category with a comment like that.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 16 Nov 2006 15:52

How many Americans football/soccer players have you actually met, let alone average americans?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 16 Nov 2006 16:01

FiNeRaIn

How many Americans football/soccer players have you actually met, let alone average americans?

Well, he is a regular visitor to Miami.

Jason Royal

by Jason Royal » 16 Nov 2006 16:01

SpaceCruiser
FiNeRaIn

I've been once dumb arse

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 16 Nov 2006 16:07

Jason Royal
SpaceCruiser
FiNeRaIn

I've been once dumb arse

I somehow don't believe you, Geekoid.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 16 Nov 2006 18:14

USA striker Johnson set to visit Reading

Royals boss Steve Coppell has confirmed that the Club are hoping to bring over USA international striker Eddie Johnson on an 'educational visit' during which time he would train with the Club.

"He's just coming over for an educational visit. He'll see how we do things and have a look at how we prepare," Steve said.

"I wouldn't even like to speculate on what might happen in the future, and we haven't even explored any possible transfer.

"It's the off season in the States so the opportunity is there, and he's just someone who has been on the radar for a lot of clubs."

Director of Football Nick Hammond added, "I've been speaking to Major League Soccer since the conclusion of their season, and I'd like to thank them for their support with this matter."

22-year-old striker Johnson is currently with the Kansas City Wizards, and has scored nine goals in 20 international appearances.

He appeared as a substitute in the recent World Cup Finals fixtures against the Czech Republic and Ghana.
FIFA 07

Interesting news. Worth moving to Team board?

yorkieroyal

by yorkieroyal » 16 Nov 2006 18:30

Well, I’m pretty sure this will develop into a full (or loan) move. I can't believe he'd just 'pop over' to check out some training methods without there being a serious possibility of a contract offer from Reading. And if it does develop that way i'd be quite happy.

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 16 Nov 2006 19:22

yorkieroyal Well, I’m pretty sure this will develop into a full (or loan) move. I can't believe he'd just 'pop over' to check out some training methods without there being a serious possibility of a contract offer from Reading. And if it does develop that way i'd be quite happy.

It's in the players hands. If he gets his head down and proves what he can do, then I'm sure our interest will develop.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 16 Nov 2006 19:58

Would be interesting to see how much we would offer for Johnson considering - http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/mls/2005-03-11-johnson-portuguese-offer_x.htm offer was made only 12 months ago.

Though general opinion is that it was Johnson himself that ultimately decided not to go to Benfica

160 posts