Robin Friday

184 posts
readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 20 Dec 2006 11:33

The greatest footballer you never saw.

Imagine the media coverage (local or national) of 4th Division football in the mid-70's.

That's right, close to zero.

Y25

by Y25 » 20 Dec 2006 11:43

Pretty much like the coverage of Reading up to 2 years ago!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Dec 2006 11:56

readingbedding
Royal Rother A few weeks after he made his debut for Reading, The Daily/Sunday Telegraph did a series of 6 articles on young starlets (or whatever) destined to make a huge impact in the game.

The first of the series was none other than James Lambert, and the article made it pretty clear that he had not been the tea-boy when in Monaco.

Who were the other 5?

Just because young players are touted for success hardly any of them fulfil it.

I trust you weren't expecting an answer to that question.

One wonders whether those (too) early accolades go to some youngsters' heads thus nudging them closer to the "attractions" of indiscipline and, as a consequence, ultimate failure.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 20 Dec 2006 12:28

I think one of those youngsters was Hartson when he was at Luton.

Could be wrong though.........

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Dec 2006 13:14

I have surprised myself here, because I think I recall Gary Flitcroft being in there as well.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 20 Dec 2006 14:02

Gordons Cumming I think one of those youngsters was Hartson when he was at Luton.

Could be wrong though.........

Hartson is still a surprisingly effective player, imo.

Wouldn't have minded him here over the summer.

4 promotions

by 4 promotions » 20 Dec 2006 14:18

Hartson is still a surprisingly effective player, imo.

Wouldn't have minded him here over the summer.

:shock:

scutterbucket

by scutterbucket » 20 Dec 2006 14:27

Oddly enough, my friend is a carpet fitter and he texted me this very morning to say he was fitting some new shag in a fella called Bobby Williams house, who mentioned that he used to play for Reading.

I texted back telling him to ask if he ever played with Robin Friday. My mate asked him and texted me back saying "Yeah played a few games with in the reserves but moved to some german side when Firday made the first team. Said he was a great player, but a fcuking nut case!"

I'm not really down with my 70's players. Was Bobby Williams any good?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 20 Dec 2006 14:31

1871.net Bobby WILLIAMS 1969-1970 (71 games 22 goals) Part-time scout for Reading. Works for petrochemical firm Foster Wheeler. Lives in Tilehurst (info 5/12/1999)

clogger

by clogger » 20 Dec 2006 14:56

If I remember rightly, Bobby Williams, scored the first goal for Reading when they beat southport 8-0, they needed to score 3 to qualify for the following season's Watney cup.

Also saw robin Friday play against southport, when we won 4-1, he dived, went down like a sack of spuds, screaming, got a penalty, got up and winked to the crowd as we walked away.
greatest ever player to play in the 4th division.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 20 Dec 2006 15:00

Ok, here is my take on the Robin Friday debate.

I was there on that Wednesday night and the moment is permanently etched on my memory as if it was yesterday. I can recall the facts of the matter and what I saw because I kept a full copy of the Evening Post the following day which is full of photos including that goal on the front cover. I still have it and it is among my most treasured RFC-related ephemera.

That season, I had a season ticket in row P of B stand and had a good view of the goal looking toward the Tilehurst end. I seem to remember the ball was knocked in from the left and Robin had his back to goal. In one movement he flicked the ball up, span and hit the ball on the volley as it dropped. The distance? Well, on the photo on the cover of the EP you can make out the 'D' where it joins the penalty box and he is beyond that. 25 yards? Maybe. He gave it the big dipper and it tore in beyond the keeper's left hand. It actually seemed to hit the side of the net lower down, so it really dipped. The only goal I have seen that you can compare it with is Thierry Henry's goal against Man U a few years ago at Highbury.

It is specious to compare Friday with a comparable place in today's team. He would not last ten minutes with the pace. He was unique for the time and was certainly a special player and far more talented than others at that level at that time.

Another story I can relate that reinforces his standing comes from the following 76/77 season. One of the first away games was at Northampton at the old County Ground. I rode up on my Honda and got there extremely early. It was a lovely sunny day and I was one of the first into the ground. Shortly after, the Reading team came out in their de rigeur non-descript blazers and ties for the customary pitch inspection and stroll. Then came Friday, resplendent in a brown leather bomber jacket, jeans and the brightest red cowboy boots I had ever seen and pulling hard on a cigarette!

Reading won 2-1 and Friday was just sensational. As I recall, he did not score, but made both goals and nobody got close to him. I was chatting to a seasoned Cobbler on the terrace and he asked me who the hell this player was. After telling him, he said that he had followed Northampton's rise from the fourth division to first division in the 60s (and eventually back again) and Friday was the best player he had ever seen at the County Ground. Some endorsement.

Simply the most legendary player to ever don the hoops.

jonboy

by jonboy » 20 Dec 2006 16:36

Well it is one of my biggest regrets not being old enough to watch Mr Friday play - I think he was breaking into the first team pretty much when I was being born (November '73 - I think I have a programme from that time somewhere it might well have been Northampton). Over the years I have listened to the talk on terraces and read the book so I cannot comment on his ability and yes the goal has been described to me as near the half way line. But I can comment on Lambert - lets not get carried away with this please he had a trial so what! Everybody has trials, even my mate down the road has had trials, I saw him play (and drink!) a lot and I never saw anything that made me think he could have made it if he was as good as some of you say Monaco would have signed him.

Now I'm sure he really shouldn't be compared even in potential terms.

jonboy

by jonboy » 20 Dec 2006 16:40

don't listen to the hype people look with your own eyes and make your own judgements - I think some people are easily persuaded

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 20 Dec 2006 17:06

Sweet Jesus...I've just picked up this thread late, but I'm looking at comparisons between Robin Friday and James Lambert? :roll:

I never saw Friday play, but going on what I have heard ovr the years he was a talent, playing below his level and a true legend for our "small" club.

Lambert however....I had the pleasure(:?) of playing against him for many years at youth level, in direct competition, he was a right winger, I was a left back. He was small, tricky and gobby, and always backed up by his heckling mother on the sidelines. Never once in the years did I walk away thinking he was special, but my god, did he think he was. I hated seeing him on the pitch at Reading because I knew I had him in my pocket.

jealous....you bet I was.
Talent.....my arse.

Right school, right time.

ahhhhhh the memories :lol:

jonboy

by jonboy » 20 Dec 2006 17:12

well done Spirit of Elm Park spot on
Wasn't his mother a teacher?

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 20 Dec 2006 17:24

jonboy well done Spirit of Elm Park spot on
Wasn't his mother a teacher?

I don't know, all I know is you couldn't tackle him (or go near him on a pitch) for fear of the banshee like wails of derision.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Dec 2006 17:26

I saw with my own eyes how good James Lambert was / could have been.

Stories of schoolboy exploits aren't likely to persuade me otherwise jonboy. :lol:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Dec 2006 17:32

i saw lambert score a great goal after a jinky run past three defenders at the west stand end at elm park, (am i imagining it)who was that against?
was right in line with the run and shot from under the clock, and its the best goal i can remember from back then, with my swiss cheese memory

as for friday, i didnt see him, but judging from the evidence provided by guiggsy in the book from many reliable and knowledgeable football sources, friday was clearly in many leagues above james, even if it was in the 4th div.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Dec 2006 17:36

You are not imagining it. Might have been Forest? Many will know, I am guessing.

Friday played a lot longer so obviously achieved more. Lambert had enormous potential, skill and vision and impressed me more than any other youngster coming through in the last 25 years.

That's really my bottom line.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Dec 2006 17:38

Royal Rother You are not imagining it. Might have been Forest? Many will know, I am guessing.

Friday played a lot longer so obviously achieved more. Lambert had enormous potential, skill and vision and impressed me more than any other youngster coming through in the last 25 years.

That's really my bottom line.

he was my favourite player as a boy
ahhh the memories

184 posts