Robin Friday

184 posts
handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 21 Dec 2006 14:56

brendywendy i saw lambert score a great goal after a jinky run past three defenders at the west stand end at elm park, (am i imagining it)who was that against?
was right in line with the run and shot from under the clock, and its the best goal i can remember from back then, with my swiss cheese memory

as for friday, i didnt see him, but judging from the evidence provided by guiggsy in the book from many reliable and knowledgeable football sources, friday was clearly in many leagues above james, even if it was in the 4th div.

Sounds much more like Port Vale in the 2-2 draw in September 95. Jinked past 3 defenders, and wellied it in from about 20-25 yards.

That Forest goal wasn't the only goal he scored after taking players clean out of the game.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 21 Dec 2006 15:42

handbags_harris
brendywendy i saw lambert score a great goal after a jinky run past three defenders at the west stand end at elm park, (am i imagining it)who was that against?
was right in line with the run and shot from under the clock, and its the best goal i can remember from back then, with my swiss cheese memory

as for friday, i didnt see him, but judging from the evidence provided by guiggsy in the book from many reliable and knowledgeable football sources, friday was clearly in many leagues above james, even if it was in the 4th div.

Sounds much more like Port Vale in the 2-2 draw in September 95. Jinked past 3 defenders, and wellied it in from about 20-25 yards.

That Forest goal wasn't the only goal he scored after taking players clean out of the game.

maybe my brain has blurred alot of those goals together
and thats what i am remembering

bloody good goal(s) though

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 21 Dec 2006 16:15

I know the subject has been aired before on Hobnob but it would be great to have some of our legends immortalized in stone/steel on the walk up to the ground.
From past discussions on this it would seem Robin Fridays wildman persona is so much the antithesis of Readings corporate image that no way would they condsider direct funding for such a monument to our player of the millenium.However the indication seemed to be that the club may co operate with siting such a project if it were independantly funded etc.
Im in no position personally to raise the 10k+ that would no doubt be required to commision such a work but hey if some unknown rich relative bequeths some silly money 2 me or should one of my 10 fold accys ever come in then I cant think of a better project to throw some cash at.
If a hobnobber with silly amounts of spare cash is reading this do get in touch.Perhaps I can help find a home for some of it! :wink:
Note: If the club wont cooperate then with Mr Salters powers of persuation perhaps one could be sited in the town center somewhere not that I would suggest it replace the Queen Vic or anything.Gawd bless er .

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 21 Dec 2006 17:44

Cripple Creek Darius Dobcheck (spelling wrong I know)
Dariusz Wdowczyk. HTH.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Dec 2006 17:53

anR I thought I'd get the Chelsea and Man Utd tickets just before I got the supporters bus up to Newcastle. But I was queuing for ages before I gave up and had plan B initiated! My 'Dad' was fortunate enough to be sat on hold for a couple of hours...

So I got chatting with the girl in the queue talking about this and that, mostly useless RFC having only two ticket desks open for the busiest away day morning ever (I kid you not, 2 desks out of a possible 8)!

So I asked her how she started supporting Reading for as the queue was nearing the ticket office. "Oh, my dad used to play for them..." she said...

Yes, I was quit godsmacked when she told me it was 'him'! She was married now and didn't like her maiden name... ;o)

I wish I'd not had to leave the queue 'early' to get that bus though... :(

So RF's daughter might be a resident on HNA?

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 21 Dec 2006 18:18

That would be Arabella then

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 21 Dec 2006 19:37

Didn't some guy come onto HNA earlier this year claiming that he was making a documentary on Robin Friday and asking for stories about him?

I wonder whether that documentary will ever see the light of day. Maybe Arabella would know as I presume the documentary maker approached the Friday family for stories about him.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 21 Dec 2006 20:22

I was in touch with Jamie via email at Exeter Uni in his early stages of planning his documentary which I gather was aired although I have yet to see it personally.Owing to a major computer glich I lost a whole bunch of contacts including Jamies.
I had also been in contact with Paulo Hewitt the co author of the Book on Robin(thoroughly nice chap) who said he would be realy happy to assist should there ever be serious interest in making a film on Fridays life.He said there was some talk of interest by "working title" producers but as to whether anything has since evolved ive no idea.Paulo quite rightly IMHO said he would envisage such a film to be more about "choices" than about a footballer per se.
I recall reading somewhere that Robin was "spotted" in the crowd at Elm Park standing behind the goal in the Tilehurst Rd end looking somewhat dishevelled not long before his untimely death.
Robin Friday (July 27, 1952 - December 22, 1990)RIP.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 21 Dec 2006 20:46

The DVD WAS made (see earlier posts). It's very good. Suggest you contact Exeter Uni to try to track down Jamie who made it. Actually, if you PM me I'll forward it to you.

By the way, the anniversary of Robin's death tomorrow (16 years).

BallRoyal

Robin

by BallRoyal » 22 Dec 2006 01:43

scutterbucket Oddly enough, my friend is a carpet fitter and he texted me this very morning to say he was fitting some new shag in a fella called Bobby Williams house, who mentioned that he used to play for Reading.

I texted back telling him to ask if he ever played with Robin Friday. My mate asked him and texted me back saying "Yeah played a few games with in the reserves but moved to some german side when Firday made the first team. Said he was a great player, but a fcuking nut case!"

I'm not really down with my 70's players. Was Bobby Williams any good?

THAT 'LL BE SHADOW WILLIAMS. Met him and his wife at a Golfing Function in Bristol in the summer.
Can't really remember him playing.

Joe 90

by Joe 90 » 22 Dec 2006 08:31

Re passing that CD on, there are people (including myself). who took part in that CD on the basis of it being for someone's thesis. To have it passed around might upset some people and get the guy who made it some grief. I would suggest that you try and get permission first.

There isn't much footage of Friday on the CD, it's mainly certain people's memories of him.

Crackin' tho'

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Dec 2006 09:22

I saw Bobby Williams play a number of times, though I was a bit young to remember whether he was particularly good. At that age they all seemed like heroes.

What I do remember about him is that he had a tremendous shot on him and often used to attempt screamers from well outside the box.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 22 Dec 2006 12:47

Joe 90, I can now see why you asked on page 2 whether the DVD is available on the open market and whether I've seen it. As you must know, it's not available on the open market but the guy who produced it would like to have made it available to Reading fans if he could and there's no way that anyone (other than yourself, possibly?) would not have contributed to the documentary had they thought (or realised) that it may be "released" publicly. It would take a KGB agent or privacy maniac to be concerned about this. Besides, items of this nature can end up anywhere in today's world and no guarantees as to privacy were given by the "producer" to my knowledge.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 22 Dec 2006 12:53

Man Friday The DVD WAS made (see earlier posts). It's very good. Suggest you contact Exeter Uni to try to track down Jamie who made it. Actually, if you PM me I'll forward it to you.

By the way, the anniversary of Robin's death tomorrow (16 years).

Is this the man in question? (found on a Cardiff message board)

Author: JamieCarter
Date: 12-12-05 19:06

Hi Folks,

I'm currently in the process of making a documentary on the great Robin Friday and I'm looking for some stories about his time at Cardiff. Also if any of you have got any contacts regarding Friday I'd also appreciate hearing from you. My email address is jim_travel2002@yahoo.co.uk.

Many thanks,

Jamie Carter

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 22 Dec 2006 13:19

Yes. But I understand his email address may have changed since then.

jonboy

by jonboy » 22 Dec 2006 13:34

yes it probably has as I have not received an answer yet and I emailed him on that address 6 days ago

Joe 90

by Joe 90 » 22 Dec 2006 18:56

Man Friday Joe 90, I can now see why you asked on page 2 whether the DVD is available on the open market and whether I've seen it. As you must know, it's not available on the open market but the guy who produced it would like to have made it available to Reading fans if he could and there's no way that anyone (other than yourself, possibly?) would not have contributed to the documentary had they thought (or realised) that it may be "released" publicly. It would take a KGB agent or privacy maniac to be concerned about this. Besides, items of this nature can end up anywhere in today's world and no guarantees as to privacy were given by the "producer" to my knowledge.

Hi Man Friday, I think you may have sussed who I am on the DVD and attributed a reluctance on my part to see it on the open market. Please be assured that is not the case, I advised Jamie that if he could get a distributor he could make a bit of money out of it. I have no problem at all with it going on the market, my concern is out of politeness to others that took part in the making of the dvd.

No doubt it will get copied and passed around, as you rightly say, you can't really stop it. However it would be nice for Jamie to get something out of it.

:D

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 22 Dec 2006 19:03

Get it distributed!!! Someone!

I'd love to see it.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 22 Dec 2006 20:10

Joe 90, thanks for the clarification. I agree with your sentiments re Jamie but he doesn't seem bothered about the commercial side. Whether he doesn't realise he could make a few bob or isn't bothered (about making a few bob) I don't really know. I think, however, you're overly concerned about others' possible privacy expectations and I stick to what I originally said here which is that the people appearing in the DVD can't realistically expect privacy (and almost certainly don't unless they're absolutely paranoid).

Joe 90

by Joe 90 » 22 Dec 2006 20:41

Man Friday Joe 90, thanks for the clarification. I agree with your sentiments re Jamie but he doesn't seem bothered about the commercial side. Whether he doesn't realise he could make a few bob or isn't bothered (about making a few bob) I don't really know. I think, however, you're overly concerned about others' possible privacy expectations and I stick to what I originally said here which is that the people appearing in the DVD can't realistically expect privacy (and almost certainly don't unless they're absolutely paranoid).

Nevertheless, it would be nice and legal, and if one of those on the DVD should kick up because their permission wasn't asked, it would spoil a tribute to the great man. Like you I think the demand for the DVD will eventually cause it to be copied and handed around and not much can be done about that.

Have a good Christmas!!

184 posts