Steve Sidwell

151 posts
Frustrated_Royal

by Frustrated_Royal » 03 Jan 2007 14:45

Arch The main thing is he's a Reading player and plays with passion week in week out. He should get our full support until such time as he chooses to leave. Only then can people judge his motives.

Great post, I totally agree.

The only thing that I kind of get annoyed with is the media coverage that it gets.

I understand that it is a question that journalists will want to ask but Sidwell could perhaps do a bit more to diffuse the situation by not commenting as he is contracted to Reading.

watfordroyal

by watfordroyal » 03 Jan 2007 14:52

As good as we have have done, we should be resigned to the fact that many of our best players will move on at some stage. We should not slate them for this, just trust SC to pick the right replacements when it happens.

All of this squad are now Royal legends for getting us here.
I hope people remember the service they have given, give them plenty of banter when they come back to play, but don't be bitter.

Good luck to Steve Sidwell whatever he decides to do.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 Jan 2007 16:50

You're talking like he is definitely leaving us. I believe the only clubs that Sidwell should consider are Villa and Everton. If I were him, I wouldn't consider the likes of Man City, Boro, Stam etc.

Villa and the Tonians may still not make a move for him and he may still end up being our player. Sidders would be part of squad rotation at the Tonians because with Cahill, Arteta, Carsley and Neville who can all fit the CM slots, Sidders can't be certain of a first team place week in week out.

He has a much better chance at the Villa. But Sidders aint a title winning or Champions League midfielder and surely with Lerners cash, that is where Villa wanna end up. So short term Sid might play at the Villa, but long-term they will probably be looking to bring players like Kaka into their midfield.

I can't see any other club that would be a better option than RFC for Sid. I think Sid should and may well could be staying with the Royals.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 03 Jan 2007 17:09

I'd expect the club will be willing to up their offer somewhat. In July and August, he was a wholly untried prospect in the Premiership. Now he's established his credentials.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 03 Jan 2007 17:11

I firmly believe that he will sign at least a year extension, maybe 2, shortly. Especially as Zamora will be on his way. I know this because I am special.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Jan 2007 17:12

The fact that Sidders doesnt want to commit suggests that he wants away.

Reo Coker would make an ideal replacement. To achieve even bigger things ultimately RFC have to progressively improve the squad.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 03 Jan 2007 17:15

Lower West The fact that Sidders doesnt want to commit suggests that he wants away.

Reo Coker would make an ideal replacement. To achieve even bigger things ultimately RFC have to progressively improve the squad.
I don't think he does. He wants to be paid in the twenties though. There's an advantage to hanging on through January without signing, because outside offers will improve his bargaining position.

I believe the club will make an improved offer based on his success in the division and he will accept it. Smiles all round.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Jan 2007 17:22

The 17 Bus Of course we are in a position to bargain, leaving in Jan on an extra 10k a week will add a lot to Sidders bank balance, also if other clubs want him then do they pay us to have him for sure or do they wait till the summer, and risk relegation without him?

Football is not all B/W, what for example if he gets injured while with us, brioken leg and no one will take him in summer.

If Sidwell leaves now the club he goes to will pay a fee. If he leave in the summer then he's a free transfer and he's a position to demand a large chunk of what they didn't have to fork out for him in wages.

It's not as black and white as you think!

As for the whole saga I'm in full agreement with Woodcote on this. If we can afford to pay Sidwell what he wants, and the knock on effects that might have on the pay structure of the squad, then let him have it. If it's going to unsettle the other players or break the bank then don't. He's been in great form this season, but he is only one player in a squad of players in great form. I just wish the media would move on and concentrate on the rest of the team who don't happen to be ex-Arsenal players about whom somebody got a great soundbite out of Wenger!

Thinking about it, just imagine how sick gooners and scousers must've got over Gerrard and Henry saga's of the last 2 or 3 years!

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 03 Jan 2007 17:23

Lower West The fact that Sidders doesnt want to commit suggests that he wants away.

Reo Coker got the hump at West Ham because they wouldn't sell him to Arsenal when they made an offer. I don't think, in which case, he would be too enthralled at the prospect of joining us instead.

Jaques Francais
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Jaques Francais » 03 Jan 2007 17:35

Top Flight I can't see any other club that would be a better option than RFC for Sid. I think Sid should and may well could be staying with the Royals.

First let me make it clear that I want Sidwell to stay, but I think you have a touch of the rose tinted. As great a club as RFC is, IMO, Sidwell may well see things differently, viewing a move to Villa or the like as a way to progress his ability.

Jaques Francais
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Jaques Francais » 03 Jan 2007 17:37

Big Ern Reo Coker got the hump at West Ham because they wouldn't sell him to Arsenal when they made an offer. I don't think, in which case, he would be too enthralled at the prospect of joining us instead.

True, but he was was only at West Ham...

working class hero

by working class hero » 03 Jan 2007 17:44

Dirk Gently
Petercccccc Sidwell = Gold digger

Hell be gone fairly soon me thinks.

How very black and white you see things. It's a lot more complicated than that, and Siidwell is not the only one potentially in the market - he's just the only one honest (or naive) enough to have gone public.

FWIW I hear that he is just one member of a rather grumpy and disaffected squad. They were given verbal promises last Xmas of riches if they were to be promoted.... Mr M has never coughed up. The entire team are upset but only Sidwell could speak up as he was the only one guaranteed a new Prem club if Mr M cut up rough. Murty wanted a new contract or he would have been spokesman.

Now it seems to me 15k is a pretty good wage for playing footy for something like 50 hours a year..... but a promise is a promise.

If we do not wise up we may lose players like Shorey, Sonko, Doyle and Lita in the near future.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Jan 2007 17:53

working class hero
Dirk Gently
Petercccccc Sidwell = Gold digger

Hell be gone fairly soon me thinks.

How very black and white you see things. It's a lot more complicated than that, and Siidwell is not the only one potentially in the market - he's just the only one honest (or naive) enough to have gone public.

FWIW I hear that he is just one member of a rather grumpy and disaffected squad. They were given verbal promises last Xmas of riches if they were to be promoted.... Mr M has never coughed up. The entire team are upset but only Sidwell could speak up as he was the only one guaranteed a new Prem club if Mr M cut up rough. Murty wanted a new contract or he would have been spokesman.

Now it seems to me 15k is a pretty good wage for playing footy for something like 50 hours a year..... but a promise is a promise.

If we do not wise up we may lose players like Shorey, Sonko, Doyle and Lita in the near future.

I also heard that the players were a bit put out by the financial rewards they were due for promotion. The problem is that the club can't change the bonus structure and the players had all signed up to it in good faith at the start of the season, so they've nothing to gumble about really.

Since we gained promotion most of the first team have signed new contracts. The only one thats not signed up is Sidwell. That tells me that they've been rewarded to their market value, and if they don't think thats enough then they need a bit of a reality check.

I'm sure they'd all like more money, a longer contract and a bigger bonus, but like any job they'll only get what their employers think they can afford/want to pay them.

tom_t69

by tom_t69 » 03 Jan 2007 17:58

I reckon we should just pay the wages he wants as it will be a lot more expensive to buy a player like reo-coker as u would have a massive fee to get and then pay the wages on top of that

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 03 Jan 2007 19:14

Who the frig would want Reo-Coker? He aint worth tuppence.

royals pete

by royals pete » 03 Jan 2007 19:21

How the devil can anyone suggest replacing Sids with Reo Coker

In theory hes a good player, but he certainly aint showing that to the West Ham supporters at present. Why should SC think of taking him on with baggage.Whats up with Coker. Or is it that hes suffering from The West Ham bug of not wanting to run .

scutterbucket

by scutterbucket » 03 Jan 2007 19:48

Fat Leather Jacket Who the frig would want Reo-Coker? He aint worth tuppence.

I wouldn't go that far but he's certainly not as good as Sidders.

Maybe Brynn was a sound replacement last year in the CCC but Sidders has raised his game considerably this year and there's no way Gunnarsson would be an adequate replacement.

Seeing as it looks like we'll definitely be in the Prem next year I think we should give Steve the money that he wanted at the beginning of the year, providing he hasn't upped the amount.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 03 Jan 2007 20:03

Ok - so perhaps be a bit bitter that Sidwell wont sign for our beloved club without getting a (very) good wage but lets not forget:

1 - Sidwell has been awesome this season. One of our best three players.
2 - Won midfield battles against the likes of Reo-Coker (twice), Kevin Nolan, Jagielka etc...
3 - Buying a replacement for him may not be as easy as you think - given his age and his curreny playing level you are talking a lot of money and no guarantee the player will come in and hit those heights with a new club (and maybe new league).

I really hope he signs - if he doesn't I still appreciate the unbelievable effort levels he has shown on the pitch this season.

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 03 Jan 2007 20:18

scutterbucket

Maybe Brynn was a sound replacement last year in the CCC but Sidders has raised his game considerably this year and there's no way Gunnarsson would be an adequate replacement.

Seeing as it looks like we'll definitely be in the Prem next year I think we should give Steve the money that he wanted at the beginning of the year, providing he hasn't upped the amount.

Those slagging off Sidwell should look toward Reo-Coker. Where as Steve is happy enough playing to the best of his ability for our club, ole Nigel couldnt give a bucket of piss for West Ham once Arsenal hinted a sniff at him.

Sidwell gives his all, no matter what wages he's on.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Jan 2007 20:34

Fat Leather Jacket
scutterbucket

Those slagging off Sidwell should look toward Reo-Coker. Where as Steve is happy enough playing to the best of his ability for our club, ole Nigel couldnt give a bucket of piss for West Ham once Arsenal hinted a sniff at him.

Sidwell gives his all, no matter what wages he's on.

Because, and as he has said himself, he knows there are potential employers in the crowd. Whether that be us with a new improved contract offer or another club.

I hope he signs but part of me agrees with Peter Reid's assessment on Soccer Saturday. He's been tapped up.

151 posts