Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 05 Jan 2007 14:45

GREAT post floyd, really enjoyed it.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 05 Jan 2007 15:29

I remember losing at home to Bishops Storford in the first round, the first time we had lost at home to a non league club. Ever since then I have wonderd why we even bother entering the competition.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 05 Jan 2007 15:48

My first ever visit to the Mad Stad was to see the game against Yeovil. Got soaked as I made the mistake of sitting too near the pitch & had to progressively make my way further back up the North Stand to find a dry seat as the wind got stronger throughout the game. At least we won that.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 05 Jan 2007 15:58

Since 1995, I have had a recurring dream of us playing in the Cup Final (dream frustratingly never finishes, so never know result....). Could this be the year that my dream comes true?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 05 Jan 2007 17:14

LKet me play Mystic Meg ghf. How about "no"?!

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 05 Jan 2007 17:21

My first clear memory of watching Reading was the 1972 FA cup tie with Arsenal.

I can still remember the smell of pipe tobacco as I was led through the bowels of the North Stand. And after climbing those stairs the sight of the playing pitch looking like a huge Billiard table stretched before me. Elm Park was enormous to a seven year old.

The game's something of a blur after all these years but I do remember Pat Rice taking a shot, somebody ducking out of the way and the ball beating Steve Death who was unsighted.

That moment rather encapsulated much of the next 30 years of watching Reading for me!

Memories Of India

by Memories Of India » 05 Jan 2007 17:38

Slough Town 3-3, I was on MotD that night, on the pitch as we equalised to make it 1-1. I remember Francis Joseph scoring for them. In the replay at EP, Mark Holzman injured himself jogging along in first gear on his own by the Southbank. I don't recall him playing again for us.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 05 Jan 2007 17:40

I remember being run at at Barry, that was memorable. I also once shouted something very rude to Clive Walker when Cheltenham or someone played us at home in a cup game.

elman

by elman » 05 Jan 2007 17:43

:cry: I remember Man U in the cup 3rd round I think in 1955. Allenby Chilton scored an own goal to put reading one up. Wally Hinshelwood
had only the keeper to beat to make it 2-0 but missed. United scored to tie the game
and won the replay, yes you guessed it, 4-0

Trendy

by Trendy » 05 Jan 2007 18:01

OK, time for your thinking caps to be put on.

Which was the FA cup game in the 70's that you had to go to the league game against York City (I'm fairly sure it was York) and were given a voucher as you entered the turnstiles that gave the an oppertunity to buy a ticket for the game against ?????

I might be confusing myself but I think it was Southampton and I seem to recall that it was a draw.

Any old farts like myself out there but with better memories (or better resources and the time to check)?

Cheers

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 05 Jan 2007 18:37

Memories Of India Slough Town 3-3, I was on MotD that night, on the pitch as we equalised to make it 1-1. I remember Francis Joseph scoring for them. In the replay at EP, Mark Holzman injured himself jogging along in first gear on his own by the Southbank. I don't recall him playing again for us.

MOI or indeed anyone else - there was a link to the video of the MOTD goals round-up on this very site a few months back, anyone have any ideas where I might find this vid?

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 05 Jan 2007 18:56

Trendy OK, time for your thinking caps to be put on.

Which was the FA cup game in the 70's that you had to go to the league game against York City (I'm fairly sure it was York) and were given a voucher as you entered the turnstiles that gave the an oppertunity to buy a ticket for the game against ?????

I might be confusing myself but I think it was Southampton and I seem to recall that it was a draw.

Any old farts like myself out there but with better memories (or better resources and the time to check)?

Cheers

The only 1 I can recall was at home to Barrow in Jan 1972. Everyone who went to that got a voucher for FAC4 v Arsenal later that month. Our average home league attendance for the season (up to the Barrow game) was 5367.

11632 turned up for the Barrow. The Arsenal game attracted 25576 and the next home game after that was a 0-0 v Workington, watched by 7707. Two home games later only 3973 bothered to turn up for the visit of Northampton.

Times have certainly changed.

Trendy

by Trendy » 05 Jan 2007 19:11

strap

Cheers

The only 1 I can recall was at home to Barrow in Jan 1972. Everyone who went to that got a voucher for FAC4 v Arsenal later that month. Our average home league attendance for the season (up to the Barrow game) was 5367.

11632 turned up for the Barrow. The Arsenal game attracted 25576 and the next home game after that was a 0-0 v Workington, watched by 7707. Two home games later only 3973 bothered to turn up for the visit of Northampton.

Times have certainly changed.

Strap - you are spot on. Arsenal was my second choice for the FAC game. The Tilehurst End was so crowded for the Barrow game that my dad put me amd my brother onto the concrete block that held the SW corner floodlight. A steward then told us to get down until a policeman told him to leave us alone as it was obvious that we couldn't see anything otherwise.

Watched the Arsenal game from stand B - all terracing had been sold out.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 05 Jan 2007 19:15

I was down the front behind the goal at the town end for the Arsenal game. It was fantastic, and Reading did wonderfully well against the then double holders.

Don't think Pat Rice scored though - didn't we get all three (or at least one own goal and a deflection)?

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 05 Jan 2007 19:31

Some of my first memories of Reading came in the form of the FA Cup. The games with Sunderland and Newcastle in the early nineties when there was some sort of crowd at Elm Park for a change.

Gillingham in the third round was also a good game, remember they disrupted the silence before and that set the tone. Some of their fans got what they deserved afterwards.

Recall the game against Man Utd in 96 and the abuse Cantona got that day. Someone just infront of me launched a coin and it missed him and laid out the linesman, game was stopped for a good few minutes while he was treated. Recall the headline in some papers the next day 'Linesman KO'ED in Cup shame' :lol: Someone also launched a banana at Paul Parker and Cantona threw it back at the Southbank.

Southampton game was also a cracking game but the highlight for me was the Cardiff City game in 98, superb atmosphere that threatened to boil over into a full scale riot inside the ground. Saw pint glasses, pool balls and lumps of concrete being thrown between the fans. The game had it all and recall plenty of Reading fans invading the pitch at full time.

Can't beat the 'magic of the cup' as they say.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Jan 2007 19:46

Elm Park Old Boy I was down the front behind the goal at the town end for the Arsenal game. It was fantastic, and Reading did wonderfully well against the then double holders.

Don't think Pat Rice scored though - didn't we get all three (or at least one own goal and a deflection)?

Barry Wagstaff scored for us, at the Town End (I was sat on the wall at right at the back). Did Stuart Morgan score an own goal?

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 05 Jan 2007 19:49

alad Some of my first memories of Reading came in the form of the FA Cup. The games with Sunderland and Newcastle in the early nineties when there was some sort of crowd at Elm Park for a change.

Gillingham in the third round was also a good game, remember they disrupted the silence before and that set the tone. Some of their fans got what they deserved afterwards.

Recall the game against Man Utd in 96 and the abuse Cantona got that day. Someone just infront of me launched a coin and it missed him and laid out the linesman, game was stopped for a good few minutes while he was treated. Recall the headline in some papers the next day 'Linesman KO'ED in Cup shame' :lol: Someone also launched a banana at Paul Parker and Cantona threw it back at the Southbank.

Southampton game was also a cracking game but the highlight for me was the Cardiff City game in 98, superb atmosphere that threatened to boil over into a full scale riot inside the ground. Saw pint glasses, pool balls and lumps of concrete being thrown between the fans. The game had it all and recall plenty of Reading fans invading the pitch at full time.

Can't beat the 'magic of the cup' as they say.

Any football played, or maybe you wouldn't have noticed?

BLUES & ROYAL

by BLUES & ROYAL » 05 Jan 2007 19:59

Elm Park Old Boy I was down the front behind the goal at the town end for the Arsenal game. It was fantastic, and Reading did wonderfully well against the then double holders.

I must have been near you as I was stood there as well.

My defining memory is Bob Wilson and Frank McClintock FF`n and blinding at each other defending a corner in front of me.
Having only ever really seen them on The Sunday football show or MOTD it scarred me for life!l

Finchley Royal

by Finchley Royal » 05 Jan 2007 20:13

Platypuss The lovely home game against Vinnie Jones' Wealdstone (85?) also brings back painful (literally) memories.

Yep, 85, 1st round. My first cup game. Not long after our 13 wins in a row needing a Horrix pen to win a dour game against non-leaguers was a good indication of the misery of the cup.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 06 Jan 2007 01:08

Cheers

It was Southampton in the league cup 1978-9 season you had to go the league game against York to collect a voucher that would get you a ticket for the Southamton game. Good piece of marketing as we got 12,000 for the league game, and 25,000 packed in to EP for the cup game.