The Weakest Link costs us again

222 posts
Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 14 Jan 2007 23:26

I am someone that has been slating USA on here for quite some time and today only reiterated my point. He fumbles the ball and makes poor decisions as to when to come off of his line.

If USA had stayed where he was you had AJ and UDC jumping together for a ball dropping 8 yards out with no pace on it. USA could have just plucked that ball out of the air and the points would have been ours. He also fumbled Cahill's tame shot in the first half and got away with it, had someone been following in for Everton the result might have been different. Oh and he went to punch an earlier effort from Anichebe which Sonks and Ivar had to clear off of the line as he failed to get there in time.

We need to sign a new number one, you aren't going to entice a keeper like Myhill or Murray or whoever to a club where you are saying "Marcus is still number one but you have to challenge him". Why not go in for that 25 or 26 year old keeper and put him straight in, why does the club have to feel bound by loyalty to Hahnemann?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 14 Jan 2007 23:31

The best thing about signing Myhill would be that he was actually born in California so the USA chant could live on.

Is he semi-black? I can't remember. Even better if he is - we badly need more black players in our team.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 14 Jan 2007 23:33

We need someone from the Middle East, perhaps Israel.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 14 Jan 2007 23:48

Huntley & Palmer I am someone that has been slating USA on here for quite some time and today only reiterated my point. He fumbles the ball and makes poor decisions as to when to come off of his line.

If USA had stayed where he was you had AJ and UDC jumping together for a ball dropping 8 yards out with no pace on it. USA could have just plucked that ball out of the air and the points would have been ours. He also fumbled Cahill's tame shot in the first half and got away with it, had someone been following in for Everton the result might have been different. Oh and he went to punch an earlier effort from Anichebe which Sonks and Ivar had to clear off of the line as he failed to get there in time.

We need to sign a new number one, you aren't going to entice a keeper like Myhill or Murray or whoever to a club where you are saying "Marcus is still number one but you have to challenge him". Why not go in for that 25 or 26 year old keeper and put him straight in, why does the club have to feel bound by loyalty to Hahnemann?

if we stay loyal to this entire team forever we're not gonna make progress, fair enough for this season, but eventually the time is going to come when we'll need to bring players in who can actually come straight in to the team. in an ideal world the manager stays loyal and the team cohesion gets us through season after season, in reality we're going to get sussed out.

an for me the weakest player on the pitch for us is hahnemann, the back four in front of him mop up a hell of a lot, and when it does get through then yes, he is generally a good shot stopper. when he does distribute quickly it's great, but when the players wait while he pushes them out and then he kicks it out down the tunnel its not exactly inspiring. although his kicking has got a bit better.

if we wanna kick on in this division an cement our place we need to strengthen and bring players who make an impact, so obviously we don't want to replace the 'special' players we have - players like shorey, sidwell, and doyle, so i would have to agree, i'd like to see us sign a quality keeper this summer - will it happen? IMHO probably not

silas If we aspire to improve as a club and try an emulate a club like Bolton for example we have to put sentimant aside. Marcus has done a fine job for a number of years for this club but is starting to be shown up at a higher level. Todays errors are not one off's, this has been happening since day 1 in the Premiership.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 14 Jan 2007 23:55

rob the royal
Huntley & Palmer I am someone that has been slating USA on here for quite some time and today only reiterated my point. He fumbles the ball and makes poor decisions as to when to come off of his line.

if we stay loyal to this entire team forever we're not gonna make progress, fair enough for this season, but eventually the time is going to come when we'll need to bring players in who can actually come straight in to the team. in an ideal world the manager stays loyal and the team cohesion gets us through season after season, in reality we're going to get sussed out.

an for me the weakest player on the pitch for us is hahnemann, the back four in front of him mop up a hell of a lot, and when it does get through then yes, he is generally a good shot stopper. when he does distribute quickly it's great, but when the players wait while he pushes them out and then he kicks it out down the tunnel its not exactly inspiring. although his kicking has got a bit better.

if we wanna kick on in this division an cement our place we need to strengthen and bring players who make an impact, so obviously we don't want to replace the 'special' players we have - players like shorey, sidwell, and doyle, so i would have to agree, i'd like to see us sign a quality keeper this summer - will it happen? IMHO probably not

silas If we aspire to improve as a club and try an emulate a club like Bolton for example we have to put sentimant aside. Marcus has done a fine job for a number of years for this club but is starting to be shown up at a higher level. Todays errors are not one off's, this has been happening since day 1 in the Premiership.

I agree with pretty much all of that.

My only caveat is that I think Coppell is acutely aware of the simple fact that we have to improve, if not on a game by game basis, over any period of time. Hahnemann, turning 34 in this year, isn't going to get younger, although a keeper's drop in ability traditionally comes later in his career.

He is a good, solid keeper. You can't deny him that.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 15 Jan 2007 00:03

When have we really seen him under pressure over a large percentage of the game? When he joined us on loan possibly? The quality of striker is better at this level, the chances of getting away with a mistake far less. Now we are seeing USA at a level that is possibly beyond him.

Nezhen

by Nezhen » 15 Jan 2007 10:19

It does pain me to say it really, but I do agree that Hanhneman may now be passed his best. At times I have been both frustrated and disappointed with some of his performances this season, but he manages to cover for his failing's (high balls into the box, crosses and directing goal-kicks) by making the odd fabulous save and with his short range shot stopping ability. .

What has always surprised me is that for someone with a outwardly charismatic 'personality', he does not command his box well or do much talking to the back four during a game. This job get's left to Murty and is then somewhat absent when Murty doesn't play. His decision making is very hit and miss and he just cannot seem to judge when he should or should not stay on his line (yesterday was a prime example of this).

So all in all I do think we need to sign a challenging replacement for Hahneman (meaning someone who can be groomed to take over next season) and Boaz Myhill would be my choice for this. Whilst impressive against Burnley, Frederici is not ready yet and Stack is in all but contract going to stay at Leeds me thinks.

Maguire wrote:

The best thing about signing Myhill would be that he was actually born in California so the USA chant could live on.

Is he semi-black? I can't remember. Even better if he is - we badly need more black players in our team.

Not sure if I agree about the USA chant being able to live on with Myhill and confused about your point about black players???, but do agree that Myhill would be fitting cover/replacement for USA.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 15 Jan 2007 10:51

I agree. Marcus is useless and we should put in a bid for Paul Robinson immediately............

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 15 Jan 2007 10:51

I can't be bothered to read 6 pages of negativity. Though I'd agree that Hahnemann was at fault for the goal, but it can't be helped. Before the game, I would have been happy with a point, and afterwards, I still am happy with the point.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 15 Jan 2007 11:37

I see that in the "Should Hahnemann be dropped" thread (which has been locked and therefore denied me the opportunity to reply) that there is more stupidity. Ok, drop Hahnemann, and replace him with who? Adam Federici? Federici has promise, but I don't think he's ready to play Premiership football on a regular basis yet. Until we have a decent replacement, we should not even be thinking about dropping him! :roll:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2007 11:55

SpaceCruiser I see that in the "Should Hahnemann be dropped" thread (which has been locked and therefore denied me the opportunity to reply) that there is more stupidity. Ok, drop Hahnemann, and replace him with who? Adam Federici? Federici has promise, but I don't think he's ready to play Premiership football on a regular basis yet. Until we have a decent replacement, we should not even be thinking about dropping him! :roll:

And there, probably accidentally, you have hit the nail on the head.

We can't drop Hahnemann because there is no-one else. Federici could do a job but is he ready? Stack is surplus to requirements it would seem so Hahnemann's place is secure despite a growing number of errors. If we'd had a number 2 such as Ashdown or Myhill I'm convinced that Marcus would be warming the bench at the moment.

He is a great shot stopper no doubts but (and as I believe somebody said on a Federici thread) all keepers at this level are great shot stoppers - it is the other aspects of their game that need to be looked at. Marcus needs competition, real competition, otherwise I feel his current errors may just be the first sign of an overall deteriation in his game.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 15 Jan 2007 11:58

Marcus benefits from some competition. Look at what happened when Ashdown had his spell in goal.

IIRC Marcus raised his game and got back in.

Then Ashdown threw a paddy at not being guaranteed action and stormed off removing Marcus of the only real competition he has had.

Time for another disposable second keeper?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 15 Jan 2007 11:59

Stranded And there, probably accidentally, you have hit the nail on the head.

What do you mean "accidently"? :x

Are you trying to belittle me? :evil:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2007 12:04

SpaceCruiser
Stranded And there, probably accidentally, you have hit the nail on the head.

What do you mean "accidently"? :x

Are you trying to belittle me? :evil:

Not at all. Your post read as a defence of Hahnemann to me but you made the point as to why he can't be dropped, which seemed contradictary. Apologies if you felt belittled or if I misread your point.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 15 Jan 2007 12:06

There was no defending of Hahnemann in my two posts. He was at fault for the goal, but I say he can't be dropped for precisely the reason I have said.

LoyalRoyal13

by LoyalRoyal13 » 15 Jan 2007 12:15

Get off his back and support him.[/quote]

Too right.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2007 12:19

LoyalRoyal13 Get off his back and support him.

Too right.[/quote]

And too a man (or woman) I'm sure that everybody on this board does, at the game and will continue to do so at the games. Doesn't mean we can't discuss flaws in his game that are costing us goals and points.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Weakest Link costs us again

by Scarface » 15 Jan 2007 12:21

Gunny Fishcake Hahnemann yet again cost us valuable points , the man is a liability .His kicking is a joke , his fumbling getting worse and his abilty to command the six yard box for a man of his size is a farce . He'll do for the season but long term we need a quality keeper

I don't think he should be dropped, however it's about time he had some proper competition for his place.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Weakest Link costs us again

by readingbedding » 15 Jan 2007 12:26

Scarface
Gunny Fishcake Hahnemann yet again cost us valuable points , the man is a liability .His kicking is a joke , his fumbling getting worse and his abilty to command the six yard box for a man of his size is a farce . He'll do for the season but long term we need a quality keeper

I don't think he should be dropped, however it's about time he had some proper competition for his place.

I agree, I don't think Stack's the keeper to do this.

I know it's easier said than done but Ben Foster from Watford should they go down would be an excellent signing.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 15 Jan 2007 12:27

Stranded
LoyalRoyal13 Get off his back and support him.

Too right.

And too a man (or woman) I'm sure that everybody on this board does, at the game and will continue to do so at the games. Doesn't mean we can't discuss flaws in his game that are costing us goals and points.[/quote]

Correct.

222 posts