NO LONGER A RUMOUR - Alan Bennett

342 posts
Jaques Francais
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Jaques Francais » 17 Jan 2007 17:51

Top Flight
willz_royal What si the chance we get a 4h decent irish player, 3 is rare enough, but 4 :shock: something has got to give, im prediciting mediocre things from this young man :wink:

Look at it another way.......

What is the chances that we get a 4th Centre Back on the cheap that finally proves to be a revelation.

Sonko came first on the cheap and he has proven to be a star. Then came Brown and Sodje who are yet to prove their credentials.....

This is Coppell's 4th gamble on a cheap Centre Back. What are the chances that this time it comes good and we have a real star on our hands without spending any cash. I like the way Coppell gambles by playing the numbers game.

He brings players in.......... If they are no good, he moves them on!! If they are good, he keeps them. Thats how he builds a team on the cheap. Coppell hasn't got a problem moving players on if they are not good enough (Forster, Williams, Owusu, Morgan, Broooker, etc......)

But from time to time a star emerges (Doyle) and that player stays. By following this method Coppell is building a top side on the cheap. What a brilliant manager.

Well put. Possibly post of the day (apart from this one, of course ;) )

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 17 Jan 2007 17:53

Big Ern Lets hope he is another good find and not another Aaron Brown. Unless he is decent, people will seriously question why the club had to put the season ticket prices up so much with so little investment in the team.

Only people who seriously believed that the ST increase was solely to invest in the team. Some of it will go to offsetting part of the stadium costs, and a lot went to the huge increase in player salaries on promotion. Don't get carried away with believing that STs (and gate receipts in general) are the major income any more, clubs live and breathe on sponsorship deals etc, we provide a nice little extra which is why many clubs treat their fans pretty shabbily (not us yet in my view).

xtreme rebel

by xtreme rebel » 17 Jan 2007 18:12

Uke
xtreme rebel Alan Bennett in today's Evening Echo in Cork:

http://www.eveningecho.ie/pdf/back.pdf

So what happens on Page 57?

Apparently on page 57 (haven't read it yet) Bennett jetted off to France with his girlfriend last night, the day after the team reported back for pre-season training. It would suggest that the Reading move is a done deal.

by 9165 » 17 Jan 2007 19:29

If this lad signs, we will have:
Ingimarsson and Sonko (first choices)
Sodje "first reserve"
Brown/Mate/Bikey All unproven but none particularly whet the appetite
Pearce Up and coming, but will he get a decent chance ?
Bennett Waiting in the wings, an unknown quantity

Thats 8 centre halves for 2 places, can`t see us keeping all of these last 6 for very long.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Jan 2007 19:35

9165 If this lad signs, we will have:
Sodje "first reserve"

Thats 8 centre halves for 2 places, can`t see us keeping all of these last 6 for very long.

Bikey's a better player than Sodje.

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 17 Jan 2007 19:43

9165 If this lad signs, we will have:
Sodje "first reserve"

Sodje is also a reserve for right back I believe, Bikey can play a holding role in midfield and has also played right back once IIRC, and Mate is pretty much injured for this season, when his loan contract would have expired by then. So they all don't have to play centre back. HTH

by 9165 » 17 Jan 2007 19:54

I know some of these can play in other position, but for example we have 3 reserve right backs after Murty, so I don`t think Sodje would be considered. It just seems excessive having 8 players for 2 berths, Bikeys versatility notwthstanding. I know Mate is out for the season, I would not expect him back TBH.

bent copper

by bent copper » 18 Jan 2007 00:31

off topic I know but Readings game on Saturday against Sheff UTD is to be shown live on Irish television.See rte.ie for details.

'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by 'lista » 18 Jan 2007 00:44

West Stand Man Only people who seriously believed that the ST increase was solely to invest in the team. Some of it will go to offsetting part of the stadium costs, and a lot went to the huge increase in player salaries on promotion.

Let's not forget that a large proportion of the ST increase went on Premiership standard wigs for JM. We can't send our Chairman out in any old cheap toupee now that we're rubbing shoulders with the big boys in the top flight.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 18 Jan 2007 09:53

At this rate we could end up with a team of Kevin Doyles.

xtreme rebel

by xtreme rebel » 18 Jan 2007 09:54

bent copper off topic I know but Readings game on Saturday against Sheff UTD is to be shown live on Irish television.See rte.ie for details.

Thats a big change given that RTE always show one of the 'Top 4'. the corresponding fixture earlier in the season when Reading beat Sheff Utd 2-1 was also shown on RTE.

Reading are popular now in Ireland given the number of Irish lads playing for them.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 18 Jan 2007 10:11

Can you say that again please, that sounds great!

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 18 Jan 2007 10:12

Forbury Lion At this rate we could end up with a team of Kevin Doyles.

I would be concerned if Kevin Doyle was playing in Goal.

xtreme rebel

by xtreme rebel » 18 Jan 2007 10:58

Big Ern
Forbury Lion At this rate we could end up with a team of Kevin Doyles.

I would be concerned if Kevin Doyle was playing in Goal.

He's played GAA so he wouldn't be so bad!

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 18 Jan 2007 11:07

The Rouge Can you say that again please, that sounds great!

that again please

Satisfied?

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 18 Jan 2007 11:59

Is he fluent in English, or will Sonko have to help him out like he has with some other recent newcomers? :wink:

79Royal

by 79Royal » 18 Jan 2007 12:15

Old Biscuitman Is he fluent in English, or will Sonko have to help him out like he has with some other recent newcomers? :wink:

If he speaks anything like Steven Hunt speaks, then no, he isn't!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Jan 2007 12:45

Jaques Francais
Top Flight
willz_royal What si the chance we get a 4h decent irish player, 3 is rare enough, but 4 :shock: something has got to give, im prediciting mediocre things from this young man :wink:

Look at it another way.......

What is the chances that we get a 4th Centre Back on the cheap that finally proves to be a revelation.

Sonko came first on the cheap and he has proven to be a star. Then came Brown and Sodje who are yet to prove their credentials.....

This is Coppell's 4th gamble on a cheap Centre Back. What are the chances that this time it comes good and we have a real star on our hands without spending any cash. I like the way Coppell gambles by playing the numbers game.

He brings players in.......... If they are no good, he moves them on!! If they are good, he keeps them. Thats how he builds a team on the cheap. Coppell hasn't got a problem moving players on if they are not good enough (Forster, Williams, Owusu, Morgan, Broooker, etc......)

But from time to time a star emerges (Doyle) and that player stays. By following this method Coppell is building a top side on the cheap. What a brilliant manager.

Well put. Possibly post of the day (apart from this one, of course ;) )

Ingimarsson hardly broke the bank at about £100 - £150k either.

xtreme rebel

by xtreme rebel » 18 Jan 2007 13:24

Reading have had a second bid turned down for Alan Bennett in the past 24 hours.

Jaques Francais
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Jaques Francais » 18 Jan 2007 13:39

xtreme rebel Reading have had a second bid turned down for Alan Bennett in the past 24 hours.

Source please.

342 posts