So it's Birmingham then.

spickroyal

by spickroyal » 18 Jan 2007 08:28

I find it an interesting scenario. I happen to agree with playing a reserve side in the FA Cup when in our situation but am impressed to see Birmingham putting what I understand to be pretty much their strongest side out. They also have far more important things on their minds so fair play to them.

There is no real basis for this (just a feeling) but assuming we go for anything less than a first team, I think we'll go out at St Andrews

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 Jan 2007 09:15

Gary McShefferey looked good again last night......

I reckon he will make a similar surprise impact in next seasons Premier League that Kevin Doyle has made this season and Clive Mendonca many years before!

Gary McShefferey is certainly a player people should be putting in as a less costly option into their next seasons Fantasy Football teams. He will be the player that helps keep your Fantasy Football Team within budget but scores as many Fantasy League points as the best, most proven strikers in the EPL.

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 18 Jan 2007 09:15

How many do you reckon we'll take up there ?

Nezhen

by Nezhen » 18 Jan 2007 09:38

2137 I would say. Can't see any more or any less than that going if I'm honest !

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 18 Jan 2007 09:52

We are unlikely to win this competition even if we were to get to the final. But then we weren't likely to win the Premier League this season and yet we are happy to be in it. I would like to see a strong team take the field against Birmingham as I agree we should have beaten them last year, but with the striker injury crisis we are in at the moment I'll be surprised if he does.

When was the last time one of the big 4 clubs didn't win the F.A. Cup, and when was the last time at least one of the big 4 weren't in the final?

Answers on a postcard to: Steve Coppell, Reading FC, Madejski Stadium, Junction 11, M4, Reading, RG2 0FL

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 18 Jan 2007 09:56

There's no way any than other 1 or two "first teamers" will feature at St Andrews esp. with a game v Wigan on the following Tuesday.

I wonder what the odds are for a Birmingham win as that probably will be the only way to get something good out of the trip!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Jan 2007 10:09

spickroyal I find it an interesting scenario. I happen to agree with playing a reserve side in the FA Cup when in our situation but am impressed to see Birmingham putting what I understand to be pretty much their strongest side out. They also have far more important things on their minds so fair play to them.

There is no real basis for this (just a feeling) but assuming we go for anything less than a first team, I think we'll go out at St Andrews

Indeed they did have a full strength team out, although I think the fact that they hadn't played a match since the first Newcastle game probably helped in that decision.

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 18 Jan 2007 10:21

Stranded
spickroyal I find it an interesting scenario. I happen to agree with playing a reserve side in the FA Cup when in our situation but am impressed to see Birmingham putting what I understand to be pretty much their strongest side out. They also have far more important things on their minds so fair play to them.

Indeed they did have a full strength team out, although I think the fact that they hadn't played a match since the first Newcastle game probably helped in that decision.

Cheating Northern gits.

LoyalRoyal13

by LoyalRoyal13 » 18 Jan 2007 10:25

What are the chances of this game being shown live on BBC?

What with B'ham's great result yesterday and the game being shown live on Sky last year?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Jan 2007 10:36

LoyalRoyal13 What are the chances of this game being shown live on BBC?

What with B'ham's great result yesterday and the game being shown live on Sky last year?

All 4th Round games have been picked, we have the following to look forward to:

QPR/Luton V Blackburn (BBC) - Sat lunchtime
Man Utd V Pompey (BBC) - Sat Evening
Chelsea V Notts Forest (BBC) - Sun lunchtime (weird choice that one)
Arsenal V Bolton (Sky) - Sun afternoon

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 18 Jan 2007 10:41

Stranded

The games they pick always frustrate me. Fair enough the first one, should be a decent contest but:

Man Utd v Pompey - Just like a Premiership game, United will probably win comfortably.

Chelsea v Forest - WTF? If Forest were at home maybe, but Chelsea will surely win comfortably

Arsenal v Bolton - Again, just like a Premiership game... Dull, dull, dull.

The best thing about the FA Cup is seeing lower league sides pitting their wits against Premiership teams, not seeing the kind of games that happen week in week out.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 Jan 2007 10:45

southbank1871
Stranded

The games they pick always frustrate me. Fair enough the first one, should be a decent contest but:

Man Utd v Pompey - Just like a Premiership game, United will probably win comfortably.

Chelsea v Forest - WTF? If Forest were at home maybe, but Chelsea will surely win comfortably

The best thing about the FA Cup is seeing lower league sides pitting their wits against Premiership teams, not seeing the kind of games that happen week in week out.

They only frustrate you because we're not involved. If they picked our game, I bet the Forest fans would be saying "The games they pick always frustrate me!"

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Jan 2007 10:46

southbank1871
Stranded

Completely agree. Can't stand the all Prem ties being shown in early rounds but the BBC always will pick at least one as they haven't got the rights to live Prem football.

Our game wasn't picked as Newcastle were favourites to win and the two all Prem games picked are likely to attract more viewers as they feature Man Utd and Arsenal. I can only assume they have used the same logic to pick Chelsea expecting a swell of armchair Chelsea support to tune in.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 18 Jan 2007 10:48

southbank1871 The games they pick always frustrate me. Fair enough the first one, should be a decent contest but:

and then southbank1871 The best thing about the FA Cup is seeing lower league sides pitting their wits against Premiership teams, not seeing the kind of games that happen week in week out.

Bit contradictory aren't we? Make your mind up.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Jan 2007 10:48

Top Flight
southbank1871
Stranded

They only frustrate you because we're not involved. If they picked our game, I bet the Forest fans would be saying "The games they pick always frustrate me!"

I expect most Forest fans are shocked it's been picked to be honest. Like SB1871 said if it had been Forest V Chelsea, different kettle of fish.

None of those ties excite me except possibly the first one as you can almost guarantee the winners of the games.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 18 Jan 2007 10:50

Rawlie19
southbank1871 The games they pick always frustrate me. Fair enough the first one, should be a decent contest but:

and then southbank1871 The best thing about the FA Cup is seeing lower league sides pitting their wits against Premiership teams, not seeing the kind of games that happen week in week out.

Bit contradictory aren't we? Make your mind up.

I assume this is being shown due to the lack of other Premiership vs lower league ties and also the fact that it's Chelsea, but my point was who really wants to see this kind of mismatch?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 18 Jan 2007 10:56

Some knob on Talksport said it wouldn't be a shock if Birmingham beat Reading. :evil:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Jan 2007 11:00

Gordons Cumming Some knob on Talksport said it wouldn't be a shock if Birmingham beat Reading. :evil:

And I kind of agree, in the same way it wouldn't have been a shock if we'd beaten them in the cup last year.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 Jan 2007 11:24

Crasher
Royalee Brummie c*nts.

A well-thought out and reasoned comment :roll:

One hopes i don't get to sit next to you when we go to St. Andrews then.

I was just looking forward to a weekend in Newcastle, I'm not going to fight a Spacey-esque crusade on them though.

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 18 Jan 2007 11:28

Rawlie19 When was the last time one of the big 4 clubs didn't win the F.A. Cup, and when was the last time at least one of the big 4 weren't in the final?

Answers on a postcard to: Steve Coppell, Reading FC, Madejski Stadium, Junction 11, M4, Reading, RG2 0FL

Last winner that wasn't Man U/Arsenal/Chelsea/Liverpool = Everton 1995.

If you expand the top four to include Spurs and Everton as the top SIX teams in the country, then the last time a final didn't include any of them was 1975 ( :shock: ) - West Ham v Fulham...