Steve Hunt - Please calm down

110 posts
Forest Gump

Steve Hunt - Please calm down

by Forest Gump » 22 Jan 2007 21:30

Still think he was entirely innocent in connection with the Cech incident and no blame appears to attach over the clash with Gillespie - however he does seem to attract controversy!

It appears that his role is to ruffle the opposition with his energy and "in the face" style but after the game on Saturday I felt myself wishing that he hadn't caried out the two footed tackle on the corner flag as part of the goal celebration. It seemed very inappropriate after all the aggression that had surrounded his clash with Gillespie.

Reading had a superb disciplinary record last season with very few bookings and (if I am correct) no sendings off. This time there have been more cards and more ontroversies. Most of these have been as a natural result of the increased pressure on the premiership game and Reading can claim to remain a fair team. However, we don't really need players to act over-aggressively or in a provocative way.

I am sure that Messers Madejski and Coppel will agree - and will probably have a quiet word with the player.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Steve Hunt - Please calm down

by Avon Royal » 22 Jan 2007 21:34

Forest Gump Still think he was entirely innocent in connection with the Cech incident and no blame appears to attach over the clash with Gillespie - however he does seem to attract controversy!

It appears that his role is to ruffle the opposition with his energy and "in the face" style but after the game on Saturday I felt myself wishing that he hadn't caried out the two footed tackle on the corner flag as part of the goal celebration. It seemed very inappropriate after all the aggression that had surrounded his clash with Gillespie.

Reading had a superb disciplinary record last season with very few bookings and (if I am correct) no sendings off. This time there have been more cards and more ontroversies. Most of these have been as a natural result of the increased pressure on the premiership game and Reading can claim to remain a fair team. However, we don't really need players to act over-aggressively or in a provocative way.

I am sure that Messers Madejski and Coppel will agree - and will probably have a quiet word with the player.

Yawn.

Banjax

by Banjax » 22 Jan 2007 21:36

you've never played football have you? adrenelin will kick in if you've been running your arse off and some shmuck elbows you then lands one on you, i think he did well to take it and turned his back (he is irish after all)

why are you fussed about what everyone thinks about his celebration when all i care about was the fact he scored

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 22 Jan 2007 21:36

:roll:

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 22 Jan 2007 21:38

:? :twisted: :roll: :?: :!:

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 22 Jan 2007 21:40

Forest Gump Still think he was entirely innocent in connection with the Cech incident and no blame appears to attach over the clash with Gillespie - however he does seem to attract controversy!

What a total load of shite.

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 22 Jan 2007 21:42

Fat Leather Jacket

What a total load of shite.
:P

jenster81

by jenster81 » 22 Jan 2007 21:43

i think he meant to slide at it and f**ked it up from the tv images!

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 22 Jan 2007 21:43

run forest, run,

away from us, before you become an even bigger oxf*rd than you've just become :roll: :evil:

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 22 Jan 2007 21:53

I think Steve Hunt has proved himself to be a superb squad player stepping up to fill Conveys boots...and not over keen to relinquish the role.

For the Arseholes that seem determined to condemn him...please could someone post what his disciplinary record is?

He maybe attracts trouble, because maybe he looks for every opportunity to unsettle the opposition, he goes for it with passion and comittment...and thank god Reading are blessed with him on our side.

Banjax

by Banjax » 22 Jan 2007 21:54

you lot are gonna break that band wagon if you keep jumpin on it like that

MR. CYNICAL

by MR. CYNICAL » 22 Jan 2007 21:54

I'm with Hunty all the way!!
He's becoming a major player for us now,we should be backing him not knocking him.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Jan 2007 21:55

Hunt is an excellent hassler, but he never postures, never shouts, never slides in recklessly, never feigns injury, never moans at the referee or disputes decisions, he is just there, all the time, in their faces, nipping away at the opposition.

To me it is ridiculous to suggest he is a dirty player, or that he should calm down, or anything of the sort. He might not be the most gifted player on our team but to me he seems like an absolute model pro who uses everything he's got in his locker, 100% every game.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 22 Jan 2007 22:18

most ridiculous post i have read in time!!!! :?

theres no way hunty should change anything about his game, he's fastly turning into a reading legend, who would have thought at the start of the season he would be doing what he is now holding a first team place with a couple of goals to his name, the man is quality. its like trying to get kits to stop his tackling, its a part of his game that makes him the player he is.

roland*

by roland* » 22 Jan 2007 22:31

Despite the slating you've gotten I admit at the time I also winced a bit when seeing this. Seemed to me to be an incredibly daft thing to do... that pole must have been inches from taking the lino's eye out... the Oliver Holt press bandwagon would have just loved that...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Jan 2007 22:43

Bollocks. what that shows is that he has a sense of humour and is aware of the whole thing but isn't letting it change him or his game. Which is as it should be.

I couldn't give a rats arse what everyone lse in the football world thinks of Hunt. If they have a brain then like us they'll realise he's a model pro and an excellent hassler who stil plays within the spirit and the rules of the game. If not they can oxf*rd off to Mars for all I care.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 22 Jan 2007 22:48

If Hunty keeps playing the way he is at the moment I think he'll be the Royals POTM for January.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Jan 2007 22:49

Good post.

Its all fine and dandy when things are going well. But if Hunt loses form, and/or his place (to Convey?), or we start losing games, then it can wear a bit thin. Then some of the same fans who are applauding his antics now and suddenly calling him a legend, will turn on him in a heartbeat. Heck, it was only a couple months ago that many thought he was shite, anyway.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 22 Jan 2007 23:16, edited 1 time in total.

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 22 Jan 2007 23:00

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 22 Jan 2007 23:17

Denver Royal his antics

1) Comedy slide tackle on a corner flag.

2)

3)

Have to admit to struggling a bit here. Do help me out.

110 posts