NO LONGER A RUMOUR - Alan Bennett

342 posts
holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 25 Jan 2007 16:50

Huntley & Palmer Amazing really how the transfer fee for Bennett seems like a drop in the ocean now for a squad player, whereas four or five years ago this would be a large investment for the club and you would expect the player to slot straight into the first XI

Err what about when we shelled out 750,000 over ten years ago for Caskey........

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 25 Jan 2007 16:55

holsgrove breaks a leg
Huntley & Palmer Amazing really how the transfer fee for Bennett seems like a drop in the ocean now for a squad player, whereas four or five years ago this would be a large investment for the club and you would expect the player to slot straight into the first XI

Err what about when we shelled out 750,000 over ten years ago for Caskey........

You didn't really read what I said. This fella is going to be cover, Caskey walked straight into the first team.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 25 Jan 2007 16:56

Huntley & Palmer
holsgrove breaks a leg

You didn't really read what I said. This fella is going to be cover, Caskey walked straight into the first team.

Plus the Caskey deal was pretty much in isolation around that time in terms of the amount we paid.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 25 Jan 2007 17:00

southbank1871
Huntley & Palmer
holsgrove breaks a leg

Plus the Caskey deal was pretty much in isolation around that time in terms of the amount we paid.

Sean Evers was 500,000 - he walked into the team - and straight out again.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 25 Jan 2007 17:02

Is this Bennett deal going ahead or what? There has been no news on this for ages. Maybe we have made our final bid and perhaps Cork will accept it on the last day of the transfer window when it doesn't look like we will up our offer.

Or maybe we will get desperate and pay Cork a little more.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 25 Jan 2007 17:05

southbank1871
Huntley & Palmer
holsgrove breaks a leg

Forgotten about Asaba a year later for £800,000

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Jan 2007 17:07

jesus, nearly a million for asaba
what were we thinking?!

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 25 Jan 2007 17:19

readingbedding
southbank1871
Huntley & Palmer
holsgrove breaks a leg

Forgotten about Asaba a year later for £800,000

Christ, you're right, we were chucking money at players around that time. No wonder JM is a bit tighter these days, TB1 and TB2 really fcuked around with his cash.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 25 Jan 2007 17:21

brendywendy jesus, nearly a million for asaba
what were we thinking?!

He wasn't that bad, actually. He just wasn't playing in a decent team, that's all.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 25 Jan 2007 17:25

SpaceCruiser
what were we thinking?!

He wasn't that bad, actually. He just wasn't playing in a decent team, that's all.

Sold him a year later.

No wonder the Chairman eventually decided on his 'brick by brick' approach.

We wasted quite a bit of money back then.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 25 Jan 2007 17:31

readingbedding
SpaceCruiser
what were we thinking?!

Sold him a year later.

No wonder the Chairman eventually decided on his 'brick by brick' approach.

We wasted quite a bit of money back then.

Yeah, Tommy Burns was a twat, didn't know what he had and even sold him at a LOSS! I was fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuming about that. :evil:

I think Gillingham were laughing at us for selling him cheaply.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 25 Jan 2007 17:34

Only one Trevor Morley
southbank1871
Huntley & Palmer
holsgrove breaks a leg

Sean Evers was 500,000 - he walked into the team - and straight out again.

Evers was injured when we bought him and didn't appear until the 2nd half of the last game of that season at Oldham (lost 2-0). It was his best performance for us as well.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Jan 2007 17:34

i thought he was ok at the time too
mainly becuase of the price tag though, and he hardly went on to bigger and better things when he left did he? last seen at sheff u?!

jonboy

by jonboy » 25 Jan 2007 17:45

I thought Asaba was ok - I think he was sold by Burns when he took control and he just didn't fancy the look of him - probably not scottish enough also he was probably on a very good wage - burns could get rid and bring in some even worse players. We never really used his best asset his pace, it was always in the air too much. I think TB also signed Primus who again I thought was a pretty decent signing.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 25 Jan 2007 22:46

what were we thinking?!
he was signed "to get us promoted"(!)

and strangely he did, as it was his goal v Watford for Millwall that saw us promoted last year.

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 25 Jan 2007 23:18

Cork reject new Reading bid for Bennett
tribalfooball.com - January 25, 2007

Cork City have rejected a new offer from Reading for defender Alan Bennett.
The Daily Star says Reading have had an improved £200,000 bid for Bennett knocked back.

Will we bid again or call it a day?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 25 Jan 2007 23:44

Recycled old news - well yesterday's at least.

warrpp

by warrpp » 26 Jan 2007 08:30

evening post (this morning) reckon they've agreed a fee with cork, and deal could go through soon

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 26 Jan 2007 08:41

If he costs 3x what KD did then he must be awesome! :D

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 26 Jan 2007 09:03

I want to know when we're signing Thora Hird.

342 posts