FA Cup R5 - Who did you want, because it's..... Man U Away

347 posts
Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 29 Jan 2007 14:09

RoyalBlue But isn't it great when the BBC website says 'Manchester United will face Premiership rivals Reading'.

A mere dream just a decade ago!

Someone should tell the others on this thread that think this is a 'money spinning tie' for us minnows. :roll:

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 29 Jan 2007 14:09

Royal Rother I am somewhat stunned how some Reading supporters can be disappointed to get drawn away to the biggest team in the world in the oldest club knock out competition in the world during our first ever season in the top flight of English football during which we have acquitted ourselves with great style and generated a growing appreciation from all sections of the country's football media and particularly its Southern based floating supporters.

This is brilliant for the club and the result is no foregone conclusion.

Man Utd will not play their first team, that's for sure, so why should we expect to get stuffed? It's beyond me.

(Of course it would have been lovely to get drawn at home to Plymouth, then home to Derby, then against Norwich before meeting Blackburn at Wembley, but that was just a tad unlikely.)

We're not expecting to get stuffed. As has been said before, some of us are disappointed because we have come so far and are now in a position where we can genuinely hope for a place in the final, and now this draw makes that a bit more difficult :?

Jeffers217

by Jeffers217 » 29 Jan 2007 14:09

I too am shocked at the comments i have just read on this website. That is a superb draw- a trip to one of the best stadiums in the country, great.
Indeed they are the best team at the moment but anything can happen in the cup. One thing- when does the Champions League restart? That could well be a welcome distraction.

Cheer up, this is a massive draw, cant wait

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 29 Jan 2007 14:09

So then, live on Sky or live on BBC 1. If its the beeb it will be the first time we have ever been live on national terestrial telly.

Also, if its the beeb it could also be 12.45pm on 17th Feb or 2pm on Sun 18th Feb

Don't think there's much doubt it will be live as they pick 4 and all the big clubs are always on!
Last edited by Barry the bird boggler on 29 Jan 2007 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

noise

by noise » 29 Jan 2007 14:10

ManU forums are very happy and are certain they will get though. Also a bit obsessed with Chelsea getting a walk through the FA Cup.

Daff

by Daff » 29 Jan 2007 14:10

Can't wait. Give those that couldn't make to the league game a chance thanks to the silly ticket allocations we received.
Coppell we almost certainly stick with a similar 11 as that has generally been his possibly for all cup games and wern't we having the same discussion when we played Arsenal in the CC last season.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 29 Jan 2007 14:10

Platypuss Hey, at least we'll make lots of money.

Well, that's what's really important, isn't it?

Agreed. Pompey got £1million in gate reciepts for there trip to Old Trafford. Just think on how many players we could buy from Cork City for that.

Also, the club could use the money to lower the price of season tickets. (I will not be holding in breath on that one consdiering how much we have sepnt on players this year)

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 29 Jan 2007 14:10

Great Knolly
Royal Rother I am somewhat stunned how some Reading supporters can be disappointed to get drawn away to the biggest team in the world in the oldest club knock out competition in the world during our first ever season in the top flight of English football during which we have acquitted ourselves with great style and generated a growing appreciation from all sections of the country's football media and particularly its Southern based floating supporters.

This is brilliant for the club and the result is no foregone conclusion.

Man Utd will not play their first team, that's for sure, so why should we expect to get stuffed? It's beyond me.

(Of course it would have been lovely to get drawn at home to Plymouth, then home to Derby, then against Norwich before meeting Blackburn at Wembley, but that was just a tad unlikely.)

We're not expecting to get stuffed. As has been said before, some of us are disappointed because we have come so far and are now in a position where we can genuinely hope for a place in the final, and now this draw makes that a bit more difficult :?

If we get past these lot we can genuinely hope for a place in the final.

Trigger

by Trigger » 29 Jan 2007 14:10

What have any of these things got to do with being disappointed not to get a slightly easier (or at least a home) draw?

I am stunned that anyone *isn't* a bit deflated by this. Looking at the teams left in it, Reading would be perfectly capable of getting to the final if we avoid Man U, Chelsea or Arsenal.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 29 Jan 2007 14:11

After all those years just begging to pull out a big draw in the cup competitions and it (virtually) never happened, then suddenly we get Liverpool and ManU in the same season! Sign of how far we have come when people are beginning to think that we might, just might, have a chance of going all the way and are disappointed that we have a big gun standing in our way.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 29 Jan 2007 14:11

Wycombe Royal
cmonurz Full strength team please Copps.

I don't agree. The players that got us to the 5th round deserve to keep their places and their chance to play at OT.

I don't agree. Much has been made of the team spirit at the club, and all of the players should understand that the club comes above sentiment. Imho, we should play the team that stands the best chance of taking us to our first FA Cup QF in a generation (or more).

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 29 Jan 2007 14:11

fruits
Rawlie19 I was confident of a good run in the cup this year, but that draw is the worst we could have had. Even ¢he£$ea would have been easier than ManUre. They're likely to rip us to shreds. Hope to be proved very wrong, but not confident anymore. :cry:

Why should they tear us apart, only one team has done that all season? The Arse and that was our own fault as we sat back and let them play,instead of playing them the Bolton way. Man Ure beat us 3-2 ,two of their goals were questionable to say the least,the biggest problem is whoever the ref is will be worth a goal to them. There is nothing to fear ,but fear itself.

Think of all the lovely money, even if we do lose.

Must admit once I heard prize twerp Brooking introduce the draw ,I just knew it would be the most difficult draw for us.

Nil Desperandum. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Because we lost up there, and although we made a fight of it, that was pretty much our strongest team. We will not play anywhere near that strong a team. Our team will be equal to a play-off championship standard.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 29 Jan 2007 14:11

Well not if Utd lost to someone else at home other than us :wink:

In the great scheme of things, this draw is poor because we have been to OT already. Yes, it will be an opportunity for those other than the lucky 3000 that went back in December but for me personally. I can't see us beating their reserve team. Another Cup draw that kicks us in the teeth, especially when you see games like Plymouth v Derby, Watford v Ipswich, Preston v Citeh, Bristol or Boro v West Brom. It's just disappointing

comeonthebiscuitmen

by comeonthebiscuitmen » 29 Jan 2007 14:12

Bowman's Quiver
Skin
Stranded
Huntley & Palmer Shit draw for me, Utd's reserve team is more than capable of beating us at OT. I'll only go if the ticket price is around £20 and they don't move it from a 3pm Saturday game.

I can guarantee now that the Man Utd Channel (BBC1) will show the game at either 5.15pm on the Saturday or 2pm on the Sunday.

Agreed. Mind you Sun is one day nearer to Champions League, might be to our advantage.

Clutching at straws, maybe, but Utd won't want to risk knocks so close to the Lille game on the following Tuesday in the CL. Could work in our favour if the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo are rested.

They will rest Rooney - Just like they did against Portsmouth on saturday.

I would have prefered an easier draw but this is a good test for us. no pressure really. We don't really expect to win the thing and I'm expecting another good performance from A Fed.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 29 Jan 2007 14:12

Jeffers217 I too am shocked at the comments i have just read on this website. That is a superb draw- a trip to one of the best stadiums in the country, great.
Indeed they are the best team at the moment but anything can happen in the cup. One thing- when does the Champions League restart? That could well be a welcome distraction.

Cheer up, this is a massive draw, cant wait

iirc ... they have a CL 2nd round/knock out/quarter final the following Tuesday.

fruits

by fruits » 29 Jan 2007 14:13

RoyalBlue But isn't it great when the BBC website says 'Manchester United will face Premiership rivals Reading'.

A mere dream just a decade ago!

Two years ago even, when the chants were" COPPELL OUT" on this board.

Blue and White Toucan

by Blue and White Toucan » 29 Jan 2007 14:13

To be honest we have run United close so far this season with Rooney , Ronaldo etc etc.

It is unlikey that Rooney, Ronaldo, Van Der Saar will play (or at least wont start)

They may even rest Carrick or Scholes.

They will play with Ole Solskjaer and Giggs up front, and I am sure Richardson and Fletcher will play.

Remember the FA Cup is 3rd on Fergusons list so the Prem and Champion League will come first.

I predict that we may actually surprise a few people with this one.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 29 Jan 2007 14:13

cmonurz
Wycombe Royal
cmonurz Full strength team please Copps.

I don't agree. The players that got us to the 5th round deserve to keep their places and their chance to play at OT.

I don't agree. Much has been made of the team spirit at the club, and all of the players should understand that the club comes above sentiment. Imho, we should play the team that stands the best chance of taking us to our first FA Cup QF in a generation (or more).

We also need these players to be ready to take their place in our first choice team. What better way to help them with that than playing against the current best team in the country at one of the best stadiums in the country.

Like I said these players have got us to this round and deserve to keep their places. You say that much has been made of the team spirit at our club, well why do you think we have such a great team spirit?

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 29 Jan 2007 14:14

Tuesday, 20 February 2007
UEFA Champions League
Lille v Man Utd, 19:45

will this be a factor :roll:

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 29 Jan 2007 14:14

Man U 3-4 Reading

early prediction :D
Last edited by M4 Junction 11 on 29 Jan 2007 14:15, edited 2 times in total.

347 posts