M4 Junction 11 Tuesday, 20 February 2007
UEFA Champions League
Lille v Man Utd, 19:45

will this be a factor, especially if we play the Sunday :roll:

Which we won't.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 29 Jan 2007 14:15

Blue and White Toucan To be honest we have run United close so far this season with Rooney , Ronaldo etc etc.

I think both results flattered us, and we will not be able to compete with them unless they put out a complete reserve team of youngsters.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 29 Jan 2007 14:15

Blue and White Toucan To be honest we have run United close so far this season with Rooney , Ronaldo etc etc.

It is unlikey that Rooney, Ronaldo, Van Der Saar will play (or at least wont start)

They may even rest Carrick or Scholes.

They will play with Ole Solskjaer and Giggs up front, and I am sure Richardson and Fletcher will play.

Remember the FA Cup is 3rd on Fergusons list so the Prem and Champion League will come first.

I predict that we may actually surprise a few people with this one.

Do you not have a TV at your house. Team that started against Portsmouth

Man Utd: Kuszczak, Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Park, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs (Fletcher 85), Larsson, Solskjaer (Rooney 60).
Subs Not Used: Van der Sar, O'Shea, Silvestre

We don't stand a chance against that

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 29 Jan 2007 14:16

Big Ern

I think both results flattered us, and we will not be able to compete with them unless they put out a complete reserve team of youngsters.

Hope we get to play 11 players this time at OT :wink:

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 29 Jan 2007 14:16

Maybe, just maybe ...

Back to the real world in 5, 4, 3, 2 and ...
Last edited by papereyes on 29 Jan 2007 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 29 Jan 2007 14:16

My sentiments exactly, except for maybe Chelsea this was the least attractive fixture for us, as proven by the posts made before the draw where people were hardly clamouring for United away. Personally it suits me as I'll get to go if I decide I fancy forking out that much cash agin (doubtful) or watch it on the telly if not, however I'd have much preferred a more eminently winnable tie to allow us to progress beyond the fifth round for the first time in my life (and no doubt the lives of everyone on this board except RL :wink: )

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 29 Jan 2007 14:16

M4 Junction 11 Tuesday, 20 February 2007
UEFA Champions League
Lille v Man Utd, 19:45

will this be a factor :roll:

I would of thought so. I expect Fergie to put out a mixture of first team and reserves. Expect it to be Larsson and Solskjaer like it was against Portsmouth on saturday.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 29 Jan 2007 14:17

Good and bad points to this draw, but lets look on the bright side. I believe that away teams at the OT in the cup get 9,000 tickets. We could have a mass invasion of Manchester on that day!

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 29 Jan 2007 14:17

Remember Di Canio.

I am Steve Brown

by I am Steve Brown » 29 Jan 2007 14:18

BELIEVE!!!!

Three days before they return to Champions League.

A season beyond our wildest dreams, at the moment, and with survival probably reached by then, what have we got to loose.

I do agree that those that have got us this far should be given the chance, but this is football.

The quiet one knows what he wants, and mostly it's good things for this club. I'm sure given the circumstances, he will sit everyone down, discuss the situation, heap all the praise possible on the stand-ins, but reality kicks in now.

BELIEVE!!!!!!!

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 29 Jan 2007 14:18

papereyes Maybe, just maybe ...

Back to the real world in 5, 4, 3, 2 and ...

I doubt it. We could never afford Di Canio's wages for a start.

hiro

by hiro » 29 Jan 2007 14:19

Shocked to know that facing Man Utd at next round as I thought Reading might progress to last four if opponents are not big four.

Delight side is that it will be broadcasted live in many countries including here Japan. On the day, this match will be most watched TV programme on the earth!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Jan 2007 14:22

Barry the bird boggler If its the beeb it will be the first time we have ever been live on national terestrial telly.

Are you sure???

Fergie has been playing pretty strong teams in the cup and even with the Champions League game during the following week I'd expect a pretty strong side from Utd. We'll probably play a slightly stronger side than in the previous rounds, but I'm sure Coppell will rest a few.

Shame we didn't pick up an easier draw as this could've been a great chance for us to progress, as it is it's a hell of a task to get by Utd's reserves.

fruits

by fruits » 29 Jan 2007 14:23

Huntley & Palmer

It is unlikey that Rooney, Ronaldo, Van Der Saar will play (or at least wont start)

They may even rest Carrick or Scholes.

They will play with Ole Solskjaer and Giggs up front, and I am sure Richardson and Fletcher will play.

Remember the FA Cup is 3rd on Fergusons list so the Prem and Champion League will come first.

I predict that we may actually surprise a few people with this one.

Do you not have a TV at your house. Team that started against Portsmouth

Man Utd: Kuszczak, Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Park, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs (Fletcher 85), Larsson, Solskjaer (Rooney 60).
Subs Not Used: Van der Sar, O'Shea, Silvestre

We don't stand a chance against that

They did n´t have to play us on Saturday 17th Feb and then 3 days later away to Lille in the Champions Cup on Tuesday 20th Feb. They only won on Saturday when Rooney turned the game coming on late. I doubt Fergie will risk Scholes ,Carrick,Giggs,Ronaldo and Rooney, maybe two of them, their reserves are not up to much, Fletcher and Richardson would n´t get into the Reading first team.

Cheer up we can win it ,maybe after a replay. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 29 Jan 2007 14:24

Huntley & Palmer 5:15 KO on Saturday would be just about manageable.

Yay! --such would mean a PPV telecast over here and a trip down the pub to spend two wretched hours in the obnoxious presence of a roomful of insufferable ManGoo geeks. :roll:

Well, I ain't making the trip down, much less paying the cover. I was very much hoping --and not unrealistically-- for an identifiably clear path into the last eight, and in my opinion, this utterly blows; only Chelsea at this stage would've been worse.

I've read the counterarguments, and we're all welcome to our opinions here. You've read mine, and nothing more to discuss, really. Disappointing in the larger scheme, as H&P says; this could've waited until the quarters.

Elm Park

by Elm Park » 29 Jan 2007 14:24

EASTENDER MARKY ........ We will hopefully play our full team after ........

I hope so, it will be hard enough with a full team let alone only 7 or 8 players :-)

noise

by noise » 29 Jan 2007 14:24

Did they forget liverpool? :|

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 29 Jan 2007 14:24

Wycombe Royal We also need these players to be ready to take their place in our first choice team. What better way to help them with that than playing against the current best team in the country at one of the best stadiums in the country.

Like I said these players have got us to this round and deserve to keep their places. You say that much has been made of the team spirit at our club, well why do you think we have such a great team spirit?

I don't think our team spirit is based on Cox, Bikey, Federici and Sodje getting a run-out in cup games.

There are really (obviously) two camps on this issue. For me, I would sooner see us attempt to progress than see our reserves dumped out in a drab thrashing at OT.

Don Finch

by Don Finch » 29 Jan 2007 14:25

I am Steve Brown BELIEVE!!!!

I like the cut of your jib Steve, PMA!

We can do this.

Couldn't make it to OT in December so am not entirely displeased with the draw, in terms of trying to win the cup though, a good draw it ain't. A good day/night out on the Manchester tiles will be had either way.

Will Doyle be back in time I wonder, hope so.

RobRoyale

by RobRoyale » 29 Jan 2007 14:26

alas... goodbye FA cup ... maybe see you next time round.

347 posts