AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 13 Feb 2007 23:08

Love - The team

Hate - Everyone else

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 13 Feb 2007 23:34

Love - Leroy, Absolutely amazing the way he has turned a lot of heads and has changed his attitude completely. Since putting more effort in he has banged in goal after goal and his finish is just getting better and better! ...Am looking forward to seeing him progress even more, one day he could possibly, and note *possibly* become a good captain - If his attitude and maturity keeps on improving he could become a very influential and powerful captain and player to have around on the pitch.

Hate - That number 13. :?

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 14 Feb 2007 00:14

Love
Convey

One from the past... Sammy Igoe, Jimmy McIntyre.

Hate
Hunt because I don't think he's Prem standard even though he proves me wrong each week.

One from the past... Stuart Gray, plain awful. How he made it as a professional footballer I will never know. He had the one 'trick' of knocking it outside his opponent and losing the ball because he was so overweight and slow. And he never learnt.

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 14 Feb 2007 00:30

Just to be contrary:

Love - SEOL Unlike most of our journeymen, lower league hopefuls and big club rejects he's a proper international star. This fact is based solely on the fact he was in the Nike advert with Ronaldo and Henry when they were all on an oil tanker captained by Cantona playing football in the hold. I love the fact there are people in a country hundreds of miles away which I have never been to and will never visit, probably wearing Reading shirts because of him. Also he hits the ball as if it has done some awful wrong to a close family member, i.e. hard. And he (indirectly) got Pardew the sack. Hopefully Coppell will see sense soon and drop that show pony Little for someone who can cross a ball and shoot.

Hate - Sidwell - Even before the contract shenanigans I had a deeply irrational hatred of Siddy. Yes he's got a great engine, he gets stuck in, blah, blah, blah. But he's a billy big b0ll0cks who believes his own hype which first started with the 4-4-2 magazine thing. He has a lot of anonymous games (though his fans always counter that with the quite frankly ridiculous, 'yes but he does the important things that go un-noticed' argument). Rubbish, he should be scoring at least one goal a game and ideally getting at least one assist too if he wants to impress me. I still remember last season when Harper and Gunnarsson played a lot of games in midfield and we did very well without Sid - I think we'll carry on doing well next season without him whilst he's rotting in Aston Villa/Man City/Fulham/Some other mid table non-entity's reserves. And he's ginger. And he's a chav.

From the past: Love - Martin Butler (ok not that far back, but his commitment was outstanding - still gutted he never made it to the Prem)

Hate - Booty - just really bad, and he came from Dario Gradi's Crewe Academy of football science fabulousness conveyor belt so there was no excuse.

Ooo Trevor Morley

by Ooo Trevor Morley » 14 Feb 2007 00:35

Royalcop Just to be contrary:

Love - SEOL I love the fact there are people in a country hundreds of miles away which I have never been to and will never visit, probably wearing Reading shirts because of him.

Hate

Seol (for the moment), because if he doesn't play, which is the case now, Korean TV choose to broadcast the Spurs or United game instead. With Seol playing they always opt for the Reading match.

Royalcop- Every Korean knows about Reading FC and the number of kids I teach who can name several Reading players is quite high. Most of my co-teachers have asked why Soel has been dropped, as the story has been carried extensively in all the papers.

Love

Now: Little and Lita. Before Gilksey, Morley, Archie and Jimmy Quinn
Last edited by Ooo Trevor Morley on 14 Feb 2007 00:43, edited 1 time in total.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 14 Feb 2007 00:40

Royalcop Just to be contrary:

Love - SEOL Unlike most of our journeymen, lower league hopefuls and big club rejects he's a proper international star. This fact is based solely on the fact he was in the Nike advert with Ronaldo and Henry when they were all on an oil tanker captained by Cantona playing football in the hold. I love the fact there are people in a country hundreds of miles away which I have never been to and will never visit, probably wearing Reading shirts because of him. Also he hits the ball as if it has done some awful wrong to a close family member, i.e. hard. And he (indirectly) got Pardew the sack. Hopefully Coppell will see sense soon and drop that show pony Little for someone who can cross a ball and shoot.

Hate - Sidwell - Even before the contract shenanigans I had a deeply irrational hatred of Siddy. Yes he's got a great engine, he gets stuck in, blah, blah, blah. But he's a billy big b0ll0cks who believes his own hype which first started with the 4-4-2 magazine thing. He has a lot of anonymous games (though his fans always counter that with the quite frankly ridiculous, 'yes but he does the important things that go un-noticed' argument). Rubbish, he should be scoring at least one goal a game and ideally getting at least one assist too if he wants to impress me. I still remember last season when Harper and Gunnarsson played a lot of games in midfield and we did very well without Sid - I think we'll carry on doing well next season without him whilst he's rotting in Aston Villa/Man City/Fulham/Some other mid table non-entity's reserves. And he's ginger. And he's a chav.

From the past: Love - Martin Butler (ok not that far back, but his commitment was outstanding - still gutted he never made it to the Prem)

Hate - Booty - just really bad, and he came from Dario Gradi's Crewe Academy of football science fabulousness conveyor belt so there was no excuse.

I respect that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but, I really hope that both the Love and Hate were written tongue in cheek. Either that or you are bloody mental.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 14 Feb 2007 08:26

Huntley & Palmer
West Stand Man
Huntley & Palmer HATE/LOATHE -

Hahnemann. Purely and simply one of the most mediocre goalkeepers we have had, seems to live on some sort of reputation gained from not being as shit as Whitehead and Howie. Goes down like a sack of shit for low saves, then tends to spill them if he gets there as well. Goes to prove that Wesley Snipes was right in not only basketball but also American goalkeepers, might help if he lost some bulk by not going to Chilli's three times a week. Comes over to the crowd after every game as if he is some sort of hero. No matter what he does, i'm blinded by his inability.

That is the same MH who is right up among the best according to Actim? But why should we let facts cloud an emotional issue?

I don't allow my judgement to be clouded by some clown that thinks a striker shooting a trickler from 35 yards that a goalkeeper picks up, counts as a save.

Ah, so no emotional bias there then??

dean horrix legend

by dean horrix legend » 14 Feb 2007 08:39

Finchley Royal Team board in interesting thread shocker.

love

Although my favourite player is Nicky Shorey, I can see when he does something wrong. And, perhaps because I think that he is so good, when he has a rare bad patch like before Christmas, it infuriates me.

However, I do have an irrational love for Kitson. Can't do anything wrong. Proper big and ugly centre forward. What sealed it for me was his West Ham 2-0 game. Not so much for his goals, but for when he appeared to be 20 yards away from the ball and, without running, was able to tackle the defender simply by stretching out his leg.

Historical: Gilkes - run, run, run, Gilkesy, keep running. Cross the ball now. Oh dear that was shit. Never mind.

hate

It's got to be Oster. What a oxf*rd. I firmly believe that there is no game that he couldn't lose for us if he really put his mind to it. What's that? You've played the ball back to Murty but he isn't there because he's run into a better position? Why don't you make up for it by shooting into the side netting instead of crossing the ball to the 3 players in the middle. You red-cheeked twat.

Historical: Steve Moran. You broke my heart Steve. You were shit and more importantly, you weren't Trevor.

You beat me to it - Steve Moran,came with a reputation,never lived up to it!
Love - Harper

Hate - Seol

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 14 Feb 2007 09:00

The gayer alert machine broke down on page 3 - this is seriously pink.

Love (current): My name-sake of course. Cheap as chips, a cheeky chappy and a oxf*rd good player to boot. Tidy as and economical with the ball. He can't half strike a sweet one too.

Hate (current): Marcus. He's cost us a fair few points this season and nobody seems to mind. Apart from me. Nice chap, terrible taste in music.

Love (old skool): There is only one. Our Polish international Dariusz Wdowczyk. The greatest defender I've seen in the hoops.

Hate (old skool): This could be a long list but I've wittled it down to two; Paul Brayson and Sean Evers. Simply the worst.

ElmParker
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ElmParker » 14 Feb 2007 09:15

Love: Nicky Shorey.

In the ‘80s players could open a tin of peas with their left feet. How times have changed. Shorey has a left foot that can take him down the local organic farmers’ market for fresh peas, pod them, crush other ingredients in a pestle and mortar, cook the pasta to a perfect al dente and serve up a delicious pea, mint, and pesto with farfalle and a glass of mellow Sangiovese.

Hate: Leroy Lita.

Lightening quick, hugely strong, bags of guile and superb predator. Cocky little shit, though.

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 14 Feb 2007 09:18

Nick Shorey my Lord! The gayer alert machine broke down on page 3 - this is seriously pink.

For all you know we might all be girls.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 14 Feb 2007 09:21

Nick Shorey my Lord! Hate (current): Marcus. He's cost us a fair few points this season and nobody seems to mind. Apart from me. Nice chap, terrible taste in music.

To save me the hassle of doing the search for myself, just list the points he has cost us?

Custard Cream

by Custard Cream » 14 Feb 2007 09:22

Valentines Day is about love not hate. I can't believe the number of players on the hate lists on here - I love all Reading players, and the management, and the fans, and the stew ..... ah hang on a sec ......

LOVE: The Team!
HATE: The Stewards

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 14 Feb 2007 09:22

Love: Nicky Shorey.

In the ‘80s players could open a tin of peas with their left feet. How times have changed. Shorey has a left foot that can take him down the local organic farmers’ market for fresh peas, pod them, crush other ingredients in a pestle and mortar, cook the pasta to a perfect al dente and serve up a delicious pea, mint, and pesto with farfalle and a glass of mellow Sangiovese.

:lol:

Carlos

by Carlos » 14 Feb 2007 09:28

Bored at work already so I thought I'd put down a couple of my thoughts:

Hate: Again too strong but how anyone can love Harps is beyond me. Sideways ball always, is never willing to run at the opposition even though his dribbling is excellent and let Fabregas go for Arsenal's first. Also the fact that Hughes kept him out of the team in our promotion season shows it all really. Also one of the goals at Newcastle was deflected and I remember Stoke away a few years back when he gave the ball to Hoekstra which he then repeated this season by gifting the ball to Emre. Special mentions go to Hunt who could not beat his full back if he tried and Oster who doesn't have the pace to play on the wing and doesn't have the passing ability to play in the middle.

Love: Phil Whitehead - mainly for playing away to Swindon when he was clearly injured and producing a blinder and many other great saves to get us out of Div 2. I always felt that it was unfair when he got dropped for Marcus.
Curo - well what can you say about him other than class and still showing it.

Anyway currently it would have to be Glendinho just for the way he has zero pace but his control, skill and awareness are awesome. Oh and brilliant skill cross for Kitson to score last season against wolves away.
Also Nicky who surely has the best left foot in the country (if only he had a right foot) and also Sonks just for being Sonks.

Upper West?!?

by Upper West?!? » 14 Feb 2007 10:57

Love: Kitson for his defending from the front, subtle touches and, of course, goals. (I also get big kick out of Sonko's physical challenges when the opposition players bounce off him - "you've been Sonko'd")

Hate: I have to go with Seol as well. With the talent that guy has, all he needs to do is work a bit harder. He gives up on "almost no hopers", he doesn't track back and defend consistenly, and he isn't one to put his foot in is he.

From the past:

Love: Parky - in the dark mid winter, when we were shit, Parky would get stuck into a tackle and make me laugh.

Hate: Robinson - thank god Shorey came along and put us out of that misery.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 14 Feb 2007 11:20

Well, as some have pointed out I feel dirty and a tad closer to buying a Bronski Beat album just for reading this thread but here's my 2p's worth

LOVE

Current player-Blakey-what hasn't been said about the white Pele already? Except that he has overcome a hideous deformity to make it to the top

Former player-ANdy Hughes-I think the whole original point of this thread was that the love option was somehow irrational and flew in the face of popular opinion. How many times do I have to tell people that HUghesy added a whole lot to our rise over the last few years. Never give up, never surrender, he was truly the Elliot Ness of Reading FC

HNA poster-Magayer-what an interesting thread

HATE

Current player-Seol-I don't hate Seol at all (or any other payer) but he frustrates me as much as I ever saw anone get frustrated by Hughes, Sarr, Rougier etc in the past. Especially annoyed that he had a gilt edged chance to show us all that he still had it against Burnley in the cup and played as if the game had been postponed again.

Former player-Caskey-So much talent but couldn't you have found it in you to pass the ball forwards a couple of times? As you are represented by Eric Hall you go down further.

HNA poster-H&P-How dare you say such horrid things about Marcus!

191 posts