Stadium Expansion

1747 posts
Royal Fleet

by Royal Fleet » 21 Feb 2007 10:51

I think it will be accessed from the new entrances to the stand. Presumably by lift. Surely that is a fire hazard though.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 21 Feb 2007 11:21

Dirk Gently I don't think the drawings show the details very well - there will be lifts to that level for use by wheelchairs - and it will be elevated slightly so that even if people do stand in the row in front then the disabled sightlines will be maintained.

SO in the event of a stadium emergency, when the lifts might be "disabled" how would the disabled people exit the stadium? I suppose they could just run them off the top step and hope for the best?

Like you said, I'm sure the drawings just don't show it clearly but there would have to another form of access to this area that doesn't involve a lift.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Feb 2007 11:23

Wycombe Royal
Dirk Gently I don't think the drawings show the details very well - there will be lifts to that level for use by wheelchairs - and it will be elevated slightly so that even if people do stand in the row in front then the disabled sightlines will be maintained.

SO in the event of a stadium emergency, when the lifts might be "disabled" how would the disabled people exit the stadium? I suppose they could just run them off the top step and hope for the best?

Like you said, I'm sure the drawings just don't show it clearly but there would have to another form of access to this area that doesn't involve a lift.

That I don't know, but I'm sure the safety and emergency plans will ensure that there is a solution before a certificate is granted - otherwise no public building in the country would ever be allowed to have anyone in a wheelchair at a level higher than ground level.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 21 Feb 2007 12:01

There were wheelchair users at Man U accessing a lift in the West stand, so it must be permitted.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 21 Feb 2007 12:13

Most buildings are designed with a 'refuge' area - out of the way of escape for the able bodied - where wheelchair users have to wait for rescue by emergency services. That's why there's normally a large 'landing' area at the top of a staircase.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 21 Feb 2007 13:05

I just don't buy this 'disabled area' argument. Perhaps the plans have changed but ...

The image clearly shows a "Match Day Hospitality Suite" – in green – between Y21 and Y24. In RFC's eyes it would be the prime spot for Corporate Hospitality. I'd imagine they'd move the matchday restaurant over there and shift the match sponsors from the windowless Thames Room into the existing West Stand restaurant overlooking the pitch.

The two yellow areas are the current disabled areas at ground level. Surely if they were going to increase disabled capacity, they'd add more at the existing ground level – possibly between Y22 and Y23 – than halfway up the stand, between concourses and accessible only by lift.

Royal Fleet

by Royal Fleet » 21 Feb 2007 13:14

The version I saw is the only one still available on that site listed, and the relevant bit is this

and that has is as a disabled area.

Either way I am buggered, and expecting a seat in the gods or some other lesser area of the ground.
Last edited by Royal Fleet on 21 Feb 2007 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 21 Feb 2007 13:14

another good question for STAR to take up with the club

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Feb 2007 13:14

Just how old are these drawings - there are so many changes and as far as I know that is not the current plan.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 21 Feb 2007 13:20

Dirk Gently Just how old are these drawings - there are so many changes and as far as I know that is not the current plan.

No idea!
Taken from the now unaccessible http://62.6.180.132/AnitePublicDocs/00012768.pdf

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Feb 2007 13:22

Whore Jackie
Dirk Gently Just how old are these drawings - there are so many changes and as far as I know that is not the current plan.

No idea!
Taken from the now unaccessible http://62.6.180.132/AnitePublicDocs/00012768.pdf

I suspect they are old ones - I have definitely heard talk of a disabled area at that level, with the hospitality area being inside the satnd at thet level but with no outlook on the pitch.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 21 Feb 2007 13:24

Whore Jackie

Would this also mean 'Madej' being blanked out :shock:

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 21 Feb 2007 13:41

Dirk Gently
Whore Jackie

No idea!

I suspect they are old ones - I have definitely heard talk of a disabled area at that level, with the hospitality area being inside the satnd at thet level but with no outlook on the pitch.

Thanks Dirk. That sounds more promising from a fans' perspective.
And a cracking view of Acre Road Industrial Estate for the corporates :D

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Feb 2007 13:43

Whore Jackie
Dirk Gently
Whore Jackie

No idea!

Thanks Dirk. That sounds more promising from a fans' perspective.
And a cracking view of Acre Road Industrial Estate for the corporates :D

Not even that view - I'd assumed it was just a big room where you could spill your half-time beer on carpet rather than concrete, and get served a bit quicker -all for paying an annual membership fee.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 21 Feb 2007 17:03

STAR Campaigns
Platypuss
The Surgeon of Crowthorne "Enabling" works start next summer - modifications to the stadium won't start until summer 08.

You sure?

On the indicative phasing, enabling works start May 2007 with the realignment of Shooters Way.

East Stand construction starts September 2007, Completion August 2008.

All there on p38 of the Planning Statement.

Platypuss's understanding is exactly what I've been told about this.
Sorry - my bad. It seems I read a little too much into what they were saying about no change to the seating for next season.

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 21 Feb 2007 17:04

M4 Junction 11
Whore Jackie

Would this also mean 'Madej' being blanked out :shock:

At least we would then have the 'Ski Stadium'... Could be fun if the match gets boring?

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 21 Feb 2007 17:39

That must be where the Jazz Cafe is at present.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 23 Feb 2007 13:57

Royal Fleet The version I saw is the only one still available on that site listed, and the relevant bit is this

and that has is as a disabled area.

Either way I am buggered, and expecting a seat in the gods or some other lesser area of the ground.

The entrances to the stand show the concourse levels, so the suspect area must be a separate floor/mezanine. Somehow I cant see disabled fans being segregated from everyone else and there is no other access shown in that area.

Ooo Trevor Morley

by Ooo Trevor Morley » 23 Feb 2007 14:29

I am slightly concerned about the media area being at the back of the East Stand as it might possibly lead to a crackdown on rude, sweary songs, which may be picked up rather too clearly on the commentators' microphones. I think, hopefully, the extension of Y25/Y26 will be the loudest, naughtiest and most likely to be allowed to stand, area of the ground, and I hope the club doesn't get too strict due to its proximity to the new media area.

It's perhaps a silly concern to have; I am very excited about expanding to 38,000, as we certainly have a large enough catchment area, and at present the club is unable to benefit from an expansion in our level of support having reached the premiership, due to our limited stadium capacity.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 23 Feb 2007 14:33

Ooo Trevor Morley I am slightly concerned about the media area being at the back of the East Stand as it might possibly lead to a crackdown on rude, sweary songs, which may be picked up rather too clearly on the commentators' microphones. I think, hopefully, the extension of Y25/Y26 will be the loudest, naughtiest and most likely to be allowed to stand, area of the ground, and I hope the club doesn't get too strict due to its proximity to the new media area.

I can't see the football club evicting a thousand or so boisterous supporters.
If the media area will be in the East Stand, then I would think it would be right at the back and central. Possibly far enough away so they can muffle out any noise.

1747 posts