Drop Sidwell Now

loyal-royal

Re: Drop Sidwell Now

by loyal-royal » 04 Mar 2007 12:29

Nick Shorey my Lord!
The 17 Bus He has been offered a great deal and refused to sign it, it is time that we planned for the future, withdraw the offer and lets play someone that will be here next season for certain, Halford would have been useful today, his long throw being as good as a corner, and we can score from set pieces.

How many time have you seen Halford play for Reading?

If anyone was going to be dropped based on yesterdays performance it was Harper and/or Bikey.

Agreed id rather have sidwell keep playing than harper at the moment based on harpers perfomences.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 04 Mar 2007 13:12

The 17 Bus He has been offered a great deal and refused to sign it, it is time that we planned for the future, withdraw the offer and lets play someone that will be here next season for certain, Halford would have been useful today, his long throw being as good as a corner, and we can score from set pieces.

You are a silly tit, you're talking about the best midfielder the club has ever had, someone who has given 100% in every single match that he's played in.
Nothing to do with him signing a new contract, you wouldn't even know that he's leaving, or distracted with his performances on the pitch.

Sidwell has been quality and the best from day one with us.

If he goes, he goes, but let's play our best players, while we still can.
Last edited by readingbedding on 04 Mar 2007 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Mar 2007 13:23

readingbedding

You are a silly tit, you're talking about the best midfielder the club has ever had, someone who has given 100% in every, single match that he's played in.
Nothing to do with him signing a new contract, you wouldn't even know that he's leaving, or distracted with his performances on the pitch.

Agree.

Jimbo

by Jimbo » 04 Mar 2007 13:38

This has to be up there with the most stupid ideas in the history of these forums.

Dropping Sidwell now is pathetic and childish and will only convince him to leave.

If he really wants to go in the summer he's going to have to be at the top of his game to attract all those big clubs, so we might as well use that to our advantage too.

Don't believe everything you read in the media, it's twisted and quoted out of context to get the best possible story. And then brainless idiots fall for it.

For whatever reasons Sidwell has been one of our better players this season. If he goes, good luck to him. If someone offered me a huge pay rise to do the same job, I'd be off in a shot. This is real life, open your eyes.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 04 Mar 2007 13:41

Just tell me when to start BOOING and I will join in.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 04 Mar 2007 13:51

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

oxf*rd ... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 04 Mar 2007 13:52

We have a boos culture at the Madejski.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 04 Mar 2007 19:14

readingbedding

You are a silly tit, you're talking about the best midfielder the club has ever had, someone who has given 100% in every single match that he's played in.

Eamon Dunphy was better than Sidwell IMHO :wink: and dont call me a tit, you arse.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Mar 2007 22:34

G Force 1871
Woodcote Royal
G Force 1871
Woodcote Royal
But, believe it or not, he who blocks out your sun is not the centre of our universe.

No he is the Centre of our midfield who has been one of the top 5 players in our best two seasons ever.

Sidders has done nothing wrong, he has taken a gamble on his own ability and to be honest, it has come off in a very big way for him so far. He will now either get an improved contract here (which I hope) or a a very good contract at a bigger club.

The simple fact is, in every game he has played for us he has given 100%, and that is all you can ask.

He's not been the billy big bollox running his mouth of all the time, he's got his head down and worked hard for the team. I have nothing but respect for him and at the end of the season I will be wishing him well either with RFC or with another team. An RFC great, and if he does sign a new contract, potential to be an RFC legend.

None of the management or the players seem to hold it against him so why do you idiots persist on claiming he has done something wrong?

Why not check where Sidwell came the last time fans had the chance to vote for their player of the season and, on that basis,

Sorry, I should have said that top 5 was my opinion.

For the record the HNA awards since Sidders has been at the club.

05/06 Sidwell 13th
04/05 Sidwell 4th
03/04 Sidwell 1st

Not all that bad, when last season a hell of a lot of nobbers actually wanted the player of the year award scrapped and given to the squad as a whole.

IIRC, Sidwell was also our most highly rated player in the 442 best outside the premiership for a number of seasons (am happy to stand corrected if anyone can find the information).

Of course other players deserve to be on similar wages, but,
1. Sidwell has got lucky in that his Contract was running out
2. He has also taken a decision to back his ability and 'prove' his value to either RFC or another prospective employer.
3. He has also taken a huge gamble by playing a season at Championship wages rather than sign a up to a better deal immediately.

None of the others were in the same position as him and/or had confidence in their own ability to be able to play in the prem.

Who was it who said he had a family to support and that the club needed to "show some ambition" (cheeky effing twat :evil: ) I thought this was Steve "Billy Big Bollox" Sidwell "running his mouth off" when discussing why he still hadn't signed a new contract.

Never read either as a direct quote from Sidwell, if you would like to provide them as full quotes, in context, straight from the horses mouth thenI would be happy to talk about them, but as far as i was aware both were comments made by his agent and then twisted by the media.

Try this for a fact. The management could not run this club if every player did what Sidwell is doing.

Steve Coppel is doing something pretty similar to what Sidwell is doing :?

He's had ample opportunity to sign a new contract, being offered more than all his team mates, and now the time has long since passed when we should be planning for a future without him. This should apply who ever, and however good, the player concerned might be.

But, lets face it, the typical Reading fan slaggs off new faces at the drop of a hat but once a player reaches idol status the world will end the day they leave :?

Where have i slagged off any new faces? .............. never. Where have i said the world will end if Sidwell leaves ......... erm never. Go away and do your homework.

How the fcuk do know what sort of effect this is having on Sidwell's team mates :?

I personally would judge that through watching their performance on the pitch and the interaction between the players on the pitch. I've not seen any adverse effect on the teams performance or any sign of any issues between Sidwell and any of the other players, have you? Unless of course you think we might be higher in the league :shock: if Sidders had already signed a new contract.

If you were doing just as good a job as a colleague and he/she was offered a lot more money than you, how would you feel?

I do as good, if not a better job than a colleague in my current job, he earns about 50% more than I do because his job is a speicalist skill and it would be difficult to replace him. He is my best mate at work and I feel fine and understand the logic behind the managements decision.

Having listened to a number of interviews and phone in's all I have heard is the players saying that they hope Sidders stays and that he is important to the Team.

Steve Coppell has gone on record as asaying he fully understands what Sidders is doing.

Sidwell will not be our player of the season this time either, and, as such, doesn't deserve special treatment.

The statements I have highlighted in red seem to completely contradict each other?

If he wants a place in the team, sign the contract................if not, fcuk off and do some gardening for the next 3 months, unless, of course, he's already sold his house :?

G Force 1871 Please, Steve, if we pay you 50k a week will you be able to afford to have my babies, too :cry:

PS. I have at least 10 buddies on HNA? who would like you to do the same for them......................how much would that cost :?

PPS. We think Halfords cr@p and your the best there's ever been............................love you lots, Steve

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 05 Mar 2007 00:22

The whole tone of this thread really pisses me off.

There is one simple thing all those on here who want Sidwell hung drawn and quartered should ask themselves; if Sidwell was a problem for the team, why would Coppell continue to pick him?

It is clear that his team mates don't have a problem with Sidwell, and neither does the Management, and for me, thats good enough. I still believe he will re-sign for us but if he doesn't then I will wish him all the best in the rest of his career, and give my 100% support to whoever is given the shirt.

The fact is that for pretty well the whole of this season, Sidwell has been outstanding for us, an invaluable member of a fantastic team, and the sort of puerile vitriol that certain individuals seem happy to give the guy on here, whilst cheering like all the rest of us when he scores, is hypocritical and frankly, obscene.

Next time he scores, sit on your hands and call him names.

Either that, or shut the f**k up on here.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 05 Mar 2007 00:46

Mr Angry Next time he scores, sit on your hands and call him names.

Is this for real?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 05 Mar 2007 00:49

Mr Angry Either that, or shut the f**k up on here.

Unbelievable

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 05 Mar 2007 01:03

The 17 Bus
readingbedding

Eamon Dunphy was better than Sidwell IMHO :wink: and dont call me a tit, you arse.

You are a silly tit, you silly tit.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 05 Mar 2007 01:50

Shut up all of you and don't call me a tit. Dickheads.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 05 Mar 2007 01:50

G Force 1871 For the record the HNA awards since Sidders has been at the club.

05/06 Sidwell 13th 04/05 Sidwell 4th
03/04 Sidwell 1st

So, apparently, in our record breaking season that got us into the Premiership 12, let say that again, 12 players got more votes than Sidwell for player of the season. On the basis that a team is made up of 11 players, how exactly does this enhance your case :?

G Force 1871
Of course other players deserve to be on similar wages,
1. Sidwell has got lucky in that his Contract was running out
2. He has also taken a decision to back his ability and 'prove' his value to either RFC or another prospective employer.
3. He has also taken a huge gamble by playing a season at Championship wages rather than sign a up to a better deal immediately.

So, Sidwell refusing to sign any of the numerous offers made to him in the last year or so, whilst all his team mates readily accepted, meant he got lucky :? ...............you want his babies this much?

It's true Sidwell has gambled but that's his choice. The time has now arrived for the club to plan for a future without him.

Our matches at the start of next season will have far more riding on them than any of the last nine of this campaign. This is when we should be bedding in his replacement rather than laying out the prayer mats in the faint hope he might decide to stay. In other words, whether he warrants a place in the team or not, he should no longer be the priority. What matters is the future of our team and not one selfish player who's entire season has been an object lesson in how to look after No1.

Woodcote Royal Who was it who said he had a family to support and that the club needed to "show some ambition" (cheeky effing twat :evil: ) I thought this was Steve "Billy Big Bollox" Sidwell "running his mouth off" when discussing why he still hadn't signed a new contract.

G Force 1871
Never read either as a direct quote from Sidwell, if you would like to provide them as full quotes, in context, straight from the horses mouth thenI would be happy to talk about them, but as far as i was aware both were comments made by his agent and then twisted by the media

Who do you think it might be who hires his agent :? Sidwell has always had the option to distance himself from these remarks. The fact is, either he or his agent were responsible for both. The one regarding ambition was an insult to one of the most successful clubs in the country and stating that he needed more than 15k a week because he had a family to support was an insult to many fans who struggle to earn that in a year.

Woodcote Royal Try this for a fact. The management could not run this club if every player did what Sidwell is doing.

G Force 1871
Steve Coppel is doing something pretty similar to what Sidwell is doing :?

Believe it or not, Steve Coppell has not been a player for more than 20 years :? But, as far as his rolling annual contract is concerned, there has never been issue about him "keeping his options open" or holding out for more money. He just prefers to work one year at a time..............there is no similarity here with Sidwell's situation.

Woodcote Royal How the fcuk do know what sort of effect this is having on Sidwell's team mates :?

G Force 1871
I personally would judge that through watching their performance on the pitch and the interaction between the players on the pitch. I've not seen any adverse effect on the teams performance or any sign of any issues between Sidwell and any of the other players, have you? Unless of course you think we might be higher in the league :shock: if Sidders had already signed a new contract.[/b]

I'm fast reaching the conclusion that some people here came down with the last shower. What are you expecting, Leroy to throw a hissy fit, Doyle to catch the next plane to Cork with Sonko hurling his crutches at the Chairman and, if not, everything must be nice and cosy in the dressing room :?

If, like you, someone you work with has better credentials or qualifications then that's a different matter but there are a number of players in our squad who can justify just as big a pay packet as Sidwell and so far only he who has refused to sign up has been offered more than the rest.......................if it hasn't already, eventually this will undermine the unity of the squad.

Branfoot Out

by Branfoot Out » 05 Mar 2007 07:21

Can't believe some of what's written here. Sidwell has been immense this season and in my opinion, is our most important player. His ability to break up the opposition's attacks and start our counter-attacks has been one of the main reasons why we're doing so well. His value to the team may not be noticed by some on here, but everyone will definitely notice it by its absence if he goes. It will cost us an absolute fortune to replace him.

Here's a radical idea, instead of booing him or posting stupid bloody threads like this one, why don't we do everything we can to show our appreciation for him in the last 9 games to try to persuade him to stay. A few more Sidwell chants definitely wouldn't go amiss.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 05 Mar 2007 08:27

Even though I'm not happy with the contract situation, Sidwell has been playing well and it's James Harper that needs dropping.

He was completely ineffective at Boro and again at Arsenal and should be dropped.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 05 Mar 2007 09:35

Perhaps an indicator of Sidwell's importance is that when he isn't playing at his best, it's very easy to run through our midfield, such as Arsenal on Saturday and Boro before. That sums up how weak Harper is at the moment as without Sidwell to break up the play, other teams can just run through.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Mar 2007 10:05

Woodcote - you dislike Sidwell for what he is doing, fair enough but you are letting it blind you to what appears to actually be happening.

You say the situation is unsettling the squad yet there is no proof to back this thought up - an unsettled squad does not perform as we currently are. If there were a problem, I believe that the club would have moved him on in either the summer or January and taken the money to restore club harmony.

A player is always going to end up getting offered more than some of his team-mates whether that be Sidwell or another future purchase. The reason he is being offered more is that he is wanted by other clubs - we would like him to stay so we have to offer him more than others to keep him. It's a supply and demand issue.

You say that we should be bedding in his replacement now - that's an assumption on your behalf that his replacement is already here. Halford may be that man but his outings in CM over his career have not been regular and was more likely purchased as the long term successor to Murty. Gunnarsson will be 32 this year - his performances this season could be his peak and Oster is a very different player to Sidwell which would change the balance of a successful midfield entirely.

The club will have plans in place for his likely departure but whilst Sidwell is at the club and performing well - it really makes no sense to get him out of a team at a time where we are in the hunt for a UEFA cup spot.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 05 Mar 2007 10:25

Mr Angry The whole tone of this thread really pisses me off.

There is one simple thing all those on here who want Sidwell hung drawn and quartered should ask themselves; if Sidwell was a problem for the team, why would Coppell continue to pick him?

It is clear that his team mates don't have a problem with Sidwell, and neither does the Management, and for me, thats good enough. I still believe he will re-sign for us but if he doesn't then I will wish him all the best in the rest of his career, and give my 100% support to whoever is given the shirt.

The fact is that for pretty well the whole of this season, Sidwell has been outstanding for us, an invaluable member of a fantastic team, and the sort of puerile vitriol that certain individuals seem happy to give the guy on here, whilst cheering like all the rest of us when he scores, is hypocritical and frankly, obscene.

Next time he scores, sit on your hands and call him names.

Either that, or shut the f**k up on here.

Agree totally except for the fact I think he will leave. Sidder's though IMO has played well especially over the last 10 games or so.

Personally as stated before, FFS the guy has seen out his contract and has done nothing wrong. I will give him my full support just as long as he is a player at RFC.