Drop Sidwell Now

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 05 Mar 2007 10:31

Stranded Woodcote - you dislike Sidwell for what he is doing, fair enough but you are letting it blind you to what appears to actually be happening.

You say the situation is unsettling the squad yet there is no proof to back this thought up - an unsettled squad does not perform as we currently are. If there were a problem, I believe that the club would have moved him on in either the summer or January and taken the money to restore club harmony.

A player is always going to end up getting offered more than some of his team-mates whether that be Sidwell or another future purchase. The reason he is being offered more is that he is wanted by other clubs - we would like him to stay so we have to offer him more than others to keep him. It's a supply and demand issue.

You say that we should be bedding in his replacement now - that's an assumption on your behalf that his replacement is already here. Halford may be that man but his outings in CM over his career have not been regular and was more likely purchased as the long term successor to Murty. Gunnarsson will be 32 this year - his performances this season could be his peak and Oster is a very different player to Sidwell which would change the balance of a successful midfield entirely.

The club will have plans in place for his likely departure but whilst Sidwell is at the club and performing well - it really makes no sense to get him out of a team at a time where we are in the hunt for a UEFA cup spot.

I don't like the way Sidwell has handled this situation but my view has nothing go with liking or disliking him. It's got everything to do with putting the club before a player who is still not the best, most valuable, or even, hardest to replace in our squad.

You may be spot on in saying that we don't yet have his replacement at the club, but NOW is the ideal time to find out one way or the other.

We have a £2m player who can't get on the bench plus Gunnarsson and Oster (not forgetting Bikey) who all merit a chance to show what they can do with a prolonged run in the side.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 05 Mar 2007 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Mar 2007 10:39

Woodcote Royal It's got everything to do with putting the club before a player

And that is exactly what Coppell is doing. Playing the player who is the BEST we have in that position.

Pre-season is the time to prepare for next season, not during the middle of a season whilst pushing for a place in Europe.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 05 Mar 2007 10:49

Survival next season is far more important than a place in Europe, and until Sidwell commits to being here, the sooner we find his replacement the better.

Without Federici's performances in the cups, I think we would have been in the market for a keeper this summer.

Likewise, if we can establish in the next 9 games if Sidwell's replacement is already here, having greedy bollox in the Upper West would be a very small price to pay :P

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Mar 2007 10:53

Woodcote Royal
Stranded Woodcote - you dislike Sidwell for what he is doing, fair enough but you are letting it blind you to what appears to actually be happening.

You say the situation is unsettling the squad yet there is no proof to back this thought up - an unsettled squad does not perform as we currently are. If there were a problem, I believe that the club would have moved him on in either the summer or January and taken the money to restore club harmony.

A player is always going to end up getting offered more than some of his team-mates whether that be Sidwell or another future purchase. The reason he is being offered more is that he is wanted by other clubs - we would like him to stay so we have to offer him more than others to keep him. It's a supply and demand issue.

You say that we should be bedding in his replacement now - that's an assumption on your behalf that his replacement is already here. Halford may be that man but his outings in CM over his career have not been regular and was more likely purchased as the long term successor to Murty. Gunnarsson will be 32 this year - his performances this season could be his peak and Oster is a very different player to Sidwell which would change the balance of a successful midfield entirely.

The club will have plans in place for his likely departure but whilst Sidwell is at the club and performing well - it really makes no sense to get him out of a team at a time where we are in the hunt for a UEFA cup spot.

I don't like the way Sidwell has handled this situation but my view has nothing go with liking or disliking him. It's got everything to do with putting the club before a player who is still not the best, most valuable, or even, hardest to replace in our squad.

You may be spot on in saying that we don't yet have his replacement at the club, but NOW is the ideal time to find our one way or the other.

We have a £2m player who can't get on the bench plus Gunnarsson and Oster (not forgetting Bikey) who all merit a chance to show what they can do with a prolonged run in the side.

Apologies, I can understand your dislike of the situation but he has done nothing wrong at the end of it. He has been as loyal as you can expect these days.

As Wycombe as said the best thing for the club at the moment is to play the best players. Sidwell is currently the best we have in that situation and it would be foolish IMO to try and bed somebody else in now just in case. Yes the players you mention merit a chance to earn a place in the side but those in the shirt have to lose it at the moment they aren't - in fact the two at risk given the slipped standards they've shown in the last two games are Hunt and Harper.

If I was Oster or Gunnarsson, I'd be more upset at not getting a chance over those two in the near future than replacing Sidwell.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Mar 2007 11:09

Stranded
RG30 Can anyone confirm this for me but did Greg Halford ever play in central midfield for Colchester?

I'm not sure, if he did it wasn't regularly. He mainly played at RB or up front.

thought it was just this season where he was used mainly as a full back
previously he was always considered a midfielder, central behind the strikers, or on the right

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Mar 2007 11:14

Woodcote Royal Survival next season is far more important than a place in Europe, and until Sidwell commits to being here, the sooner we find his replacement the better.

We don't know if we are even looking for a replacement. However if we were to drop him then that question is answered.

WTRoyal

by WTRoyal » 05 Mar 2007 11:35

Woodcote Royal Survival next season is far more important than a place in Europe, and until Sidwell commits to being here, the sooner we find his replacement the better.

I agree with survival next season being more important than a European place - however, read on...

IMHO a place in Europe is more likely with Sidwell playing than without (though I don't think he has performed to his personal best over the past couple of games - which is nothing like saying he's performing badly).

I also think that a place in Europe is more likely to convince Steve Sidwell to stay than if we are not in Europe - I like to believe the best in people and if he says he's not made his mind up yet I think we should trust him.

...and to cap it all, I think survival next season is likely to be easier (though for sure it will be tough) if we get off to a good start; which, in turn, I think will be easier if we still have Sidwell playing for us than if we are bedding in new players to the midfield, whether they come from within or without...

So to me it makes sense, as he's the best player we currently have for the position, to play him while we have him.

(sits back and waits for RFC to get a place in Europe and Sidders to leave to join Aston Villa anyway... :wink:)

madmickb

by madmickb » 05 Mar 2007 12:22

Sidwell will go in the summer most likley is going to be Arsenal so now we are unlikley to go down give Halford a run in the first team and lets see what he can do. seen him in the reserves and looks quite good got a fantastic throw

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 05 Mar 2007 12:28

madmickb Sidwell will go in the summer most likley is going to be Arsenal so now we are unlikley to go down give Halford a run in the first team and lets see what he can do. seen him in the reserves and looks quite good got a fantastic throw

Why would Arsenal be interested in Sidders? The way their weakened team ran through our midfield saturday should give some indication he'd be out of his depth

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 05 Mar 2007 12:32

We should play Sidwell - we have pre-season friendlies to blood new talent in the summer if Sidders goes.
My mate who's an arsenal fan just asked me 'Did u clone Steve Sidwell cos he was everywhere!'. He gives us something extra...

79Royal

by 79Royal » 05 Mar 2007 12:42

Halford said when he joined that the Sir Steve sees him as a right back, so why would he play him in midfield, unless he really had to?

Sidwell has been a part of this team all year and hasn't done anything wrong, so why should he lose his place? The Arsenal midfeild on Saturday would overrun most teams in this division and I thought he did ok. The fact is, our midfield had very little of the ball all game, so none of them had a good game.

I understand the argument for dropping Sidwell, but he's still one of our best players and the season has 9 games left in it. For me, he's one of the first on the team sheet.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 05 Mar 2007 17:45

79Royal Halford said when he joined that the Sir Steve sees him as a right back, so why would he play him in midfield, unless he really had to?.

This is absolute nonsense.

Halford played right back for Colchester this season but has played in a number of positions.

Coppell would not spend £2m on a right back when his captain is having a very good season and DLC has shown himself to b very able stand in.

Harold

by Harold » 05 Mar 2007 22:04

Is Sidwell really that good? Against the top sides, he's gone missing.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Mar 2007 08:21

Woodcote Royal
79Royal Halford said when he joined that the Sir Steve sees him as a right back, so why would he play him in midfield, unless he really had to?.

This is absolute nonsense.

Halford played right back for Colchester this season but has played in a number of positions.

Coppell would not spend £2m on a right back when his captain is having a very good season and DLC has shown himself to b very able stand in.

Now that last statement is nonsense. Let's see, your arguement is we wouldn't spend £2m on a highly rated player who is primarily a right back because we have a capable 32/33 year old to back up a 32 year old? There's every chance that one may not be here next year and the other could have peaked.

Halford is a right back who has played elsewhere when injuries required him to - he's 22 and was in demand. £2m is not OTT for a player like that.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 06 Mar 2007 12:59

No, Halford is a utility player who has played in midfield and upfront but was playing right back for Colchester this season.

In other words, Halford is no more a right back than Gunnarsson who, as our 3rd choice in this position, would make spending £2m on on yet more cover a complete waste of money.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 06 Mar 2007 15:25

Harold Is Sidwell really that good? Against the top sides, he's gone missing.

I wouldn't say he's gone missing. However I think he will have to accept that he'll never be a top 4 club player. Wenger, as he so often is, was right about him.
Middlesborough or Aston Villa, as it stands, would be the best bet. I don't even see him at Everton.

davis69

by davis69 » 06 Mar 2007 16:43

dont drop sidwell for the simple fact he has honoured his contract and been a big part of out success over past 3 years

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 06 Mar 2007 16:53

The whole thread is a nonsense and matters relating to Sidder's have been discussed, I think its all getting too boring, who cares what we think SC will do what he believes is right.

In my opinion LOCK this thread.

rollsy

by rollsy » 06 Mar 2007 17:18

Coppelled Streets I think a change of manager is required.

ah i see, silly thread saying drop sidwell, followed by silly reply drop coppell

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Mar 2007 09:08

Woodcote Royal No, Halford is a utility player who has played in midfield and upfront but was playing right back for Colchester this season.

In other words, Halford is no more a right back than Gunnarsson who, as our 3rd choice in this position, would make spending £2m on on yet more cover a complete waste of money.

Halford is a right back/ Right midfielder who has played as a centre forward. In relation to being a possible central midielder , the management are trying to see if he suits this position by playing him there in the reserves.

Surely this is a far better solution than throwing him into the first team as a young player in a position which nobody knows he's suitable for.

Oh and can we cut all this nonsense about people being Sidwell arse lickers and wanting his babies just because they happen to think we're a better side with him than without him. It's really getting a bit childish and pathetic.

The situation is exactly te same as it was from day 1 of this fantastic season. Sidwell will weigh up his options at the end of the season. In the meantime he is continuing to pay a vital role and while he does so , in my opinion he should remain in the side. Everything else is just bullshit really.