is doyle all that

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Mar 2007 14:45

Doyle in front of Lita and Kitson for me, especially the latter. So far.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 08 Mar 2007 14:56

2 world wars, 1 world cup No I agree mate Doyle's rubbish and vastly overrated.

I also think hitler was a nice guy, blair isn't a war criminal, the earth is flat, oliver holt is a great journalist, southampton were the best team in the championship last year, colin is a calm admirable character, west ham are a praiseworthy club, coppell isn't divine, madesjki has been one of our worst chairmen in our history and that the sky is infact green.

I thought I was the only one to think straight. I'm glad I met you. Feel free to drop by and we can have a ride on my flying pig.

:lol:

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 08 Mar 2007 14:59

Ooo Trevor Morley
boycey Is he "all that" .
you been watching too much American TV sister .

You've been watching - The present PERFECT progressive is almost always used in British English.

You been watching - The present progressive is more frequently used in American English.

They say irony is used more by the Brits, so, er.... Well Done. :wink:

Are you by any chance teaching english over there? And if you are u should be teaching the continuous not the progressive - Americans :twisted: :wink:

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 08 Mar 2007 15:00

doylefan Doyle has without a doubt been one of our best buys and has been fantastic since he arrived at the club. who would have thought 18 months ago that he would be up there with the leading goal scorers this season??ok so he looks abit iffy at the moment, but hes coming back from injury, so weve just got to be patient.

You would say that though wouldn't you? :wink:

nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 08 Mar 2007 17:19

Beigemobile And if this isn't the forum for people to discuss the perfromance and contribution of Reading Football Club players, what's it for?

Shut up. Stop trying to exercise your right to free speech. Go and live in North Korea or somewhere, then make outspoken comments.

YEAH!!

:oops: :lol: :oops:

Harold

by Harold » 08 Mar 2007 18:13

you can only judge if a player is good, if they can perform over a long period of time. Its too early to say with Doyle, although I didn't realise he was on the pitch against Chelsea reserves the other week.......

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Mar 2007 18:22

you are right, he was ghostly quiet on that game (as he has been since then too), but coming back from injury...its kind've ok, it could be a lengthy process.

When were Shevchenko and Ballack last injured?

Harold

by Harold » 08 Mar 2007 18:25

AthleticoSpizz you are right, he was ghostly quiet on that game (as he has been since then too), but coming back from injury...its kind've ok, it could be a lengthy process.

Another thread -another mention of Chelsea, I am honoured.

Ballack and Sheva have had various knocks throughout the season. Thankfully not in the last few weeks.

LimpBiscuit

Re: is doyle all that

by LimpBiscuit » 08 Mar 2007 18:25

brendywendy
Starfish
LimpBiscuit Don't worry about the predictable responses, loyal1. You've made an observation, a different opinion. I think you're wrong, but I defend your right to express that opinion anyway.

But on another thread ...

LimpBisquit Those of you tempted to give an answer that begins with V should hang your heads in shame and NEVER EVER watch another football match....ever.

:?

no shame required

its quite clear:
you respect everyones right to express their opinion in a post on this board
unless that post begins with a V.

whats your problem

No problem sweetheart. I'm a football fan, therefore entitled to have rabid outbursts about one player, but then change my tune according to whoever I'm talking to.

Their isn't a football fan in the world who's outlook and views are 100% consistent.

Anyway, it's nearly half past six. Shouldn't you be doing the tea or ironing, or washing up. There's a good girl, run along with you.

loyal1

is doyle all that

by loyal1 » 08 Mar 2007 18:33

thanks for the response. i have only seen doyle play from the tv so my views are limited to what they show. didnt goto a game last year so only saw highlights but this year i have seen all games only on the tv thouugh and the only game i went to was sheff at home.i will review my thoughts at the end of season and hopefully he will change my mind.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Mar 2007 20:12

Halibut
AthleticoSpizz you are right, he was ghostly quiet on that game (as he has been since then too), but coming back from injury...its kind've ok, it could be a lengthy process.

Ballack and Sheva have had various knocks throughout the season. Thankfully not in the last few weeks.
I never mentioned Chelsea.

But now that we are on the subject (once again), when will they (Sheva and Ballack)ever recover from those "knocks"?

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 08 Mar 2007 20:40

Archie's penalty
2 world wars, 1 world cup No I agree mate Doyle's rubbish and vastly overrated.

I also think hitler was a nice guy, blair isn't a war criminal, the earth is flat, oliver holt is a great journalist, southampton were the best team in the championship last year, colin is a calm admirable character, west ham are a praiseworthy club, coppell isn't divine, madesjki has been one of our worst chairmen in our history and that the sky is infact green.

I thought I was the only one to think straight. I'm glad I met you. Feel free to drop by and we can have a ride on my flying pig.

:lol:

I'm glad i wasn't the only one who laughed at this :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nezhen

by Nezhen » 08 Mar 2007 20:51

Loyal 1 joked:

thanks for the response. i have only seen doyle play from the tv in my padded cell so my views are as limited as my brain capacity. didnt go to a game last year as I was sectioned at the beginning of the season so only saw highlights, but this year i have been allowed to watch all the games through my 'special' glasses on the tv, though and the only game i went to was at jeffs home (my carer). i will review my thoughts at the end of season and hopefully my new brain will change my mind.

Best stay where you are, keep taking the pills and do what Jeff tells you I'd say !! :roll: :oops:

Nezhen

by Nezhen » 08 Mar 2007 20:51

Hello again !
Last edited by Nezhen on 08 Mar 2007 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

Harold

by Harold » 08 Mar 2007 21:26

AthleticoSpizz
Halibut

But now that we are on the subject (once again), when will they (Sheva and Ballack)ever recover from those "knocks"?

GR8 goal by Ballack the other night.

*Remember all you guys writing off Drogba in his first season of English Football.

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 08 Mar 2007 21:38

Harold
AthleticoSpizz
Halibut

*Remember all you guys writing off Drogba in his first season of English Football.

We did write him off in his first season because he was dredful, however now i dont think Chel$ea would be where they are now this year without him. And Ballack and Shevi are a lot older than he is.

Harold

by Harold » 08 Mar 2007 22:15

1871 Royal
Harold
AthleticoSpizz
Halibut

We did write him off in his first season because he was dredful, however now i dont think Chel$ea would be where they are now this year without him. And Ballack and Shevi are a lot older than he is.

where would United be without Ronaldo? Where would Arsenal be without Henry, where would Liverpool be without Gerrard, where would Reading be without Doyle or Lita...........keep clutching at those straws.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Mar 2007 22:22

Drogba is good

WTRoyal

by WTRoyal » 09 Mar 2007 00:11

Just thought it might be fun to look at a couple of statistics:

Leroy Lita cost £1,000,000 and has scored 7 premiership goals so far in the 06/07 season; which works out at a cost of £142,857.14 per goal (let's say that's about one hundred and forty thousand pounds per goal).

Didier Drogba cost £24,000,000 and has scored 18 premiership goals so far in the 06/07 season; which works out at a cost of £1,333,333.33 per goal (let's say that's about one point three million pounds per goal).

Andrei Shevchenko was bought for an undisclosed fee widely reported to be around £30,000,000 and has scored 3 premiership goals so far in the 06/07 season; which works out at a cost of about £10,000,000 per goal (let's say that's about ten million per goal as the exact transfer fee isn't known).

Kevin Doyle was bought for an undisclosed fee widely reported to be around £78,000 and has scored 10 premiership goals so far in the 06/07 season; which works out at a cost of about £7,800 per goal (let's say that's about seven thousand eight hundred per goal as the exact transfer fee isn't known).

For those who like their statistics slightly better cooked than this, take into account the fact that the primary function of a striker is to score goals; then, consider this:

Even in the event that Kevin Doyle doesn't score another premiership goal this season, in order to achieve a close price per goal figure to the one that he has achieved, Leroy Lita would have to score approximately 128 goals (or 121 more than he has currently scored); Didier Drogba would have to score approximately 3076 goals (or 3058 more than he has currently scored); and Andrei Shevchenko would have to score approximately 3846 goals (or 3843 more than he has currently scored).

To answer the original poster, therefore, my conclusion & personal opinion is this:

Doyle may or may not be "all that" (sic) in your (or anyone else's) opinion but regardless of this, and of whether or not he has been playing for long enough at this level to prove himself, he's given an exceptional contribution to our team and I am very happy with this. I fully expect he will score more goals in the remaining 9 games of the season, and I wish him well in so doing.

E&OE

HTH

Ooo Trevor Morley

by Ooo Trevor Morley » 09 Mar 2007 01:03

Archie's penalty
Ooo Trevor Morley
boycey Is he "all that" .
you been watching too much American TV sister .

You've been watching - The present PERFECT progressive is almost always used in British English.

You been watching - The present progressive is more frequently used in American English.

They say irony is used more by the Brits, so, er.... Well Done. :wink:

Are you by any chance teaching english over there? And if you are u should be teaching the continuous not the progressive - Americans :twisted: :wink:

Yes, I am. Knowing one's tenses is a dead give away: I've only just learnt all their names as part of my CELTA/TEFL course.

I will use 'continous' forever more. I do my bit promoting British English with regards to spelling and pronounciation. The Korean kids all speak with an American whine: 'haar' for 'hot', 'garrrri' for 'got it', and most annoying, 'saccer' for 'football'.

Actually, no, the worst thing, the most blood broilingly stupid thing is how some American teachers inform Koreans that their Korean word for Tomato, 'tom-ar-to', is Konglish and that it should be pronounced 'tom-ey-do';arrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh! It's as infuriating as when parts of Africa decided to change from driving on the left to driving on the right, when the left is blatently better (well for drive-bys at least). Oh dear, I am being anal.