Saturday 3pm Traditions

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 13 Mar 2007 10:38

I used to put my monkey boots on, get the train from Pangbourne to Tilehurst, get a 17 bus from outside the station, get off near Wantage Road, go in the 555 fish bar for a pie of unspecified origin, eat it, then pay 50 pence to get into the South Bank for a rabble rousing time of it all.

You can imagine how surprised I was a few years ago when I did this once more for old time's sake and discovered the ground had been demolished.

Ashfordroyal

by Ashfordroyal » 13 Mar 2007 11:16

Bloody hell Norfolk, we must have been on the same bus then, I used to leave Purley about the same time!

Bucks Dave

by Bucks Dave » 13 Mar 2007 11:34

Some people had it too easy.

Dad moved to South London and took me to Elm Park from there. So it was train from Herne Hill to Victoria, Green line bus Victoria to Reading, local bus St Mary's Butts to Elm Park.

We must have started the previous day.

And he only had to wait fifty years for promotion.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 13 Mar 2007 13:23

Ashfordroyal Bloody hell Norfolk, we must have been on the same bus then, I used to leave Purley about the same time!

The 17 didn't go from Purley, the 19 / 39 did!

Ashfordroyal

by Ashfordroyal » 13 Mar 2007 13:32

He said he left from Pangebourne, the 17 didnt go from there either!

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 13 Mar 2007 13:37

Train from Bracknell to Reading then any 30-something bus to top of Cranbury Road. Down the hill and left into Gloucester Road, left into Kent Road then down the little alley to my Nan's in Rutland Road where delicious Yorkshire Hotpot and dumplings awaited. Watched Football Focus with Sam Leitch (remember him?), waited for my two uncles to show then off to the Norfolk Road end at about 2:45.

Back to Nan's after the game to catch the results, then at about 5:30 I used to leg it to paper shop opposite the Norfolk Road stand to get the Sports Post with the results and league tables. One of my uncles then gave me a lift home to Bracknell on his way back to Walton-upon-Thames.

Approximately two weeks later, repeat. That was pretty much me for the 60s and 70s.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 13 Mar 2007 14:59

Ashfordroyal He said he left from Pangebourne, the 17 didnt go from there either!

I also said I got the train from Pangbourne, got off at Tilehurst station, then got the bus from outside there. It was the 17 or maybe 18, i think you could get on both.

If you were on the same bus as me you were probly that bloke I happy slapped in 1976, before happy slapping was even invented.

Ashfordroyal

by Ashfordroyal » 13 Mar 2007 17:04

Yes you bastard!
Did you go to Theale or Little Heath?

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 13 Mar 2007 19:56

Norfolk Royal I used to put my monkey boots on, get the train from Pangbourne to Tilehurst, get a 17 bus from outside the station, get off near Wantage Road, go in the 555 fish bar for a pie of unspecified origin, eat it, then pay 50 pence to get into the South Bank for a rabble rousing time of it all.

You can imagine how surprised I was a few years ago when I did this once more for old time's sake and discovered the ground had been demolished.

Do you know, I think the 555 may still be there!! Went down the Oxford Road recently in a cab for reasons I forget, got stuck in traffic, and went past lopads of old haunts. What was the name of the pub right next to the Battle Hospital? Not The Pond House, that's further down towards Tilehurst, not The Hew Inn either, think that's further into town. For the life of me i can't remember. There used to be a Chinese Restaurant a few doors down from that pub. Many was the saturday drinking in the Jolly Brewers on a lunchtinme, stroll to EP, back to the JB for the night, then a walk down that Oxford Rd chinese for copious amounts of MSG and outrageously priced often warm lager!!!! On the walk back from teh Chinese to Tilehurst was usually sick in someone's front garden at some god unearthly hour! Get home 3am with a 3 mile walk apparently taking 5 minutes!!!

Bloody hell - if my kids did that today I'd wallop them!!

Actually I only probably did that about 4 or 5 times in 4 years! Funny how strange things like that stick in the memory!

Nowadays it's a 2 mile walk from St Saviour's Road unless you want to fork out £7 for parking on match day! Now in my day, £7 could buy you ...... Zzz zzzz z z z

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 13 Mar 2007 21:30

strap Do you know, I think the 555 may still be there!! Went down the Oxford Road recently in a cab for reasons I forget, got stuck in traffic, and went past lopads of old haunts. What was the name of the pub right next to the Battle Hospital? Not The Pond House, that's further down towards Tilehurst, not The Hew Inn either, think that's further into town. For the life of me i can't remember. There used to be a Chinese Restaurant a few doors down from that pub.

The 555 is indeed still there and going strong. Best fish & chips on the Oxford Rd. The New Inn is right next to the Oxford Rd entrance of the now demolished Battle Hospital, opposite Gilberts butchers. Other than that then you must be thinking of the Royal Albion which is between The Pond House and Wantage Road. The landlord's son is a staunch Royal home & away.