Seol in shock confession

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 22 Mar 2007 12:08

I don't think I have ever booed a Reading player ever.

Doesn't do any good whatsoever.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 22 Mar 2007 12:13

readingbedding I don't think I have ever booed a Reading player ever.

Hooray for you, what a good fan you are.

Me either. :lol:

Sir Rodney Effing

by Sir Rodney Effing » 22 Mar 2007 12:22

Using the work analogy, If an employee is underperforming he gets a warning. He doesn't get a pat on the back and an applause around the office.

Right?[/quote]

Nearly right... but nor do you also shout out around the office "Christ almighty, you're absolutely f---ing sh1t at your job, you useless cretin". As others have pointed out, constant booing won't encourage players to improve - if your boss told you that you were crap, and your workmates (the fans in this analogy) kept saying the same sort of thing, would it make you want to improve? You may think about leaving. I'd imagine your workrate would drop. At the same time though, football is highly emotional, it's not easy to stop moaning and booing when you see someone underperforming. Perhaps we should all watch croquet instead.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 22 Mar 2007 12:23

Even when we were shit, and had some truely awful players (Michael Meeker springs to mind), I have never booed any player who has worn the blue & white.

The booing of Seol a while back was bang out of order.

If the Manager says they're good enough for us, then thats fine by me..and if they're not, then its the Manager I look towards to get it sorted out.

Booing your own players is shameful. Slag them off in the pub afterwards for sure, but booing does nothing but send a negative message to our players on the pitch, and probably gives the opposition something to feel good about.
Last edited by Tinrib on 22 Mar 2007 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 22 Mar 2007 12:23

Rodney
me Using the work analogy, If an employee is underperforming he gets a warning. He doesn't get a pat on the back and an applause around the office.

Right?

Nearly right... but nor do you also shout out around the office "Christ almighty, you're absolutely f---ing sh1t at your job, you useless cretin". As others have pointed out, constant booing won't encourage players to improve - if your boss told you that you were crap, and your workmates (the fans in this analogy) kept saying the same sort of thing, would it make you want to improve? You may think about leaving. I'd imagine your workrate would drop. At the same time though, football is highly emotional, it's not easy to stop moaning and booing when you see someone underperforming. Perhaps we should all watch croquet instead.

I don't agree with booing either, just pointing out the error of Yorkshires statement.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 22 Mar 2007 12:26

Windymiller I suspect not being played made him realise he needed to work harder not booing.

He didn't respond positively to booing whilst on the pitch, so therefore it achieved nothing apart from a detrimental effect on his spirit.

I'm sure Coppell will now express his gratitude to the fans booing Seol.
He couldn't see himself that he was out of form etc, it's all down to the boo-boys showing him the way.

philM

by philM » 22 Mar 2007 12:28

readingbedding I don't think I have ever booed a Reading player ever.

If you feel that a player is not performing well and at the top of their ability then I suppose a stony silence could be your only response. I felt uncomfortable with the boo-ing of Seol at the time and didn't join in, but thinking about it now, how else can a fan show vocal disapproval? Singing "Your not fit to wear the shirt" would seem to be harsher than boo-ing and I hope we never hear it from our fans at RFC. And with Sir Steve in charge I don't think we will.

Of course the "grown-up" option is to leave it all up to Sir Steve to motivate and reprimand players, but in the heat of the moment a fan will always show vocal approval and disapproval - how would you suggest they express dissatisfaction with the performance of one of our players, if not by boo-ing, or do you think we should keep quiet?

Not that I think that we are anywhere near a situation where boo-ing is appropriate. If we started playing like West Ham did at the Mad Stad then this would be a relevant discussion. And no I don't think what Seol has said has anything to do with the fans boo-ing him
Last edited by philM on 22 Mar 2007 12:37, edited 2 times in total.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 22 Mar 2007 12:30

Top Flight Didn't Brian Clough always tell players that they were Sh*t?

He kept peoples feet on the ground, he made sure people didn't get complacent and think they could stop trying and get away with it?

Seol has clearly been complacent......... Coppell manages in a very similar way as Cloughie but probably delivers the messsage in a nicer way.

But, there is nothing wrong with telling a player that they are not performing. The only way fans can collectively tell a player that they are not happy with his performance is by collectively making a booing noise. It was never mean't in a nasty way. It was just a message that we're not happy with that performance and he must try harder next time.

Fans are fickle. Of course they are. If Seol works hard and plays well next time out, he will be the hero of the East Stand!

So what is everyone's problem? There is nothing wrong with showing your upset at a performance!

The manager is well within his right to criticise a players performance. It's his job. However I do not think Coppell sits in the dugout "booing" Seol.

How does booing in anyway suggest "support" for a team. Since you claim to support Reading?

Top Flight What do you know about Human Nature?

Err.. I assume the misquote was accidental as I never mentioned anything to do with human nature, nor claim to be an expert.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Mar 2007 12:31

Can someone point out to me in Seol's comments where he states that it's the fan's booing that have made him realise he's not put the effort in or been good enough?

I would have thought it far more likely that the coaching staff have said that he's not doing enough (by speaking to him and by him not being in recent squads).

I'd for one take more heed of such words by amanager (and be likely to come out and make such comment), a well respected guy than some drunken (or sober) idiot sat in a stand acting like a five year old at a panto.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 22 Mar 2007 12:35

Stranded Can someone point out to me in Seol's comments where he states that it's the fan's booing that have made him realise he's not put the effort in or been good enough?

How dare you bring common sense to the Team board...

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Mar 2007 13:12

SpaceCruiser
Top Flight So to all those muppets who said booing was so wrong. Well it appears to have put the rocket up Seol's ars* that he clearly needed.

Who says that these words were a result of your moronic behaviour, muppet?

I imagine it's the fact that Glen Little starting ahead of him that gave him the "rocket up his arse" as you so nicely put it.

What a twat you are.

I think I need to lie down. Spacey and I are in complete agreement on this one!

Well apart from the personal insults.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 22 Mar 2007 13:59

When will people realise that booing is pantomime?

Football is a show......... Its theatre....

Why are people trying to stamp out all the things that makes football such good theatre? Its no wonder people call Reading fans plastics.

Reading is becoming a town full of plastics. Caring too much about peoples feelings. Seol is a big boy.

Seol must be embarrassed about all the people defending him and wrapping him up in cotton wool who are too worried about his feelings.

Seol is a big boy and can handle a few boos. Respect to Seol for acknowledging his performances were lacking in effort and he has expressed a desire to put that right!

If he does put that right then I will clap him and cheer him and sing his name and give him maximum adulation. Because I am a fickle fan!

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 22 Mar 2007 14:16

I'm sorry Mr Flight but you are a first class idiot!

Plastic.. funny I can't remember booing on own players back in 95 on the South Bank.

If the team is poor, then boo (losing to Wimbledon 3-0 on boxing day for example). Boo the opposition..

That's pantomine.. Singling out a Reading player and booing him is just daft...

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 22 Mar 2007 14:26

Yorkshire Royal I'm sorry Mr Flight but you are a first class idiot!

Plastic.. funny I can't remember booing on own players back in 95 on the South Bank.

If the team is poor, then boo (losing to Wimbledon 3-0 on boxing day for example). Boo the opposition..

That's pantomine.. Singling out a Reading player and booing him is just daft...

Players have been booed at Elm Park.

Not in 95 because we were a pretty good team back then. No one deserved to be booed. but during the back end of the Quinn & Gooding days, During the Terry the taxi days, during the end of the Branfoot and Porterfield days the boos were ringing round the South Bank and individual players were booed.

We are a pretty good team right now so it is very surprising when someone gets booed. But that is just down to the fact that Seol wasn't trying hard enough. It is the only way for fans to express their dissatisfaction at his performance. To boo collectively.

If Seol comes in next game and works his socks off, he will be cheered, not jeered.

Seol will not get psychologically traumatised by a few boos. So don't worry.

Seol is man enough to accept it, admit he didn't try and hopefully brush the whole affair under the carpet and work hard. We all love Seol because we all know what he is capable of. But its frustrating when we don't see him try because we know what he can do....

You are irrationally concerned that a few boos are gonna mentally scar him for life. Seol is not that weak. He is gonna come back from it and hopefully work harder.

If Seol is so weak that it mentally ruins him, then we are better off without him. It doesn't matter, where Seol goes or for which club he plays, fans still expect 100% effort. Wherever he is, if he doesn't give 100% then he will get booed. It doesn't matter if he plays for us, Wolves, Anderlecht or Liverpool. If he walks around the pitch like he has been doing he will get booed.

All Seol needs to do to win English fans over is be seen to be giving everything. If we see that he is giving everything he will be cheered.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 22 Mar 2007 14:32

Fundamentally booing your own players is wrong.. unless you are booing the whole team and management. Seol is part of a record breaking Reading side, and should be treated as such.

There is no justification for booing a single player. And that's it I'm afraid. We will have to just agree to disagree...

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Mar 2007 14:32

And you seem irrationally convinced that it is the booing that has caused Seol to come out with the comments he has with no proof to back up that claim.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 22 Mar 2007 14:38

I imagine when Seol goes home and counts up his £10K a week paychecks and lies on his bed of money, he really doesn't give a fcuk about a few hundred Reading muppets booing him.

He's a footballer. He wants to play football, and at the moment he's stuck in the stiffs. That's why he's realised he needs to try harder.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 22 Mar 2007 14:39

OK lets just agree to disagree. For the record, I haven't booed Seol.

But I defend the fans rights to boo.

I think Seol is a great player and I look forward to seeing some top drawer performances from the lad in the coming weeks.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 22 Mar 2007 14:50

Top Flight When will people realise that booing is pantomime?

Boo the opposition players, yes. Boo your own players, no.

It's not that difficult.