RFC's wage structure

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 28 Mar 2007 11:54

Behindu I think that the wages elsewhere are more likely to start to drop to our level.

Pompey can only pay more becasue their owner funds them and it won't last for ever. Fulham are the same.

We need to have a model that works for us and our total wage bill has to be what we can afford. How Coppell juggles that would be up to him (cut the squad by a couple and pay everyone a bit more, do a Bolton and spend money on wages not transfer fees, push homegrown players in to bolster the squad, gamble on finding lower league players....)

To be fair I think Fulham are probably holding there own financially and are not getting much out of Al-Fayed. The talent they've sold since being in the Premiership and for good amounts aswell (Saha, Van der Sar, Boa Morte, Davis, Malbranque) but then you always have Steve Marlet :)

The wage budget will depend on how much we value our players at and how much other clubs value our players at.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 28 Mar 2007 11:57

Benito Carbone.
Finidi George.

Say No More.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 28 Mar 2007 13:19

Huntley & Palmer We will never attract the sort of player that would command such a wage, basically because we would never pay it. Reading will simply be a stepping stone for players to move onto bigger clubs if they prove their worth with us

Yeah I think that's pretty much spot on.
Maybe when/if we're pulling in 37,000 every home game, maybe then we can compete better for players.

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 28 Mar 2007 13:21

Huntley & Palmer We will never attract the sort of player that would command such a wage, basically because we would never pay it. Reading will simply be a stepping stone for players to move onto bigger clubs if they prove their worth with us

Nothing wrong with that imho. There's always room for a few stepping stones and few are more attractive than us these days.

Blue and White Toucan

by Blue and White Toucan » 28 Mar 2007 13:21

Reading under Coppell is all about hunger and desire.

As examples, Ballack and Shevchenko are examples of players who receive massive salaries and yet seem to lack any passion for their team and have only really played bit parts for Chelsea this year.

Compare thier passion and hunger against most of the Reading Team.

Take Hunty as one example, IMHO, he has been a much better player this season that either of Ballack or Shev.

I would rather have passion and hunger than a 'big' name anyday.

Although if Ronaldo was interested.......................... :lol:

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 28 Mar 2007 13:22

Coppelled Streets

Yeah I think that's pretty much spot on.
Maybe when/if we're pulling in 37,000 every home game, maybe then we can compete better for players.

Except for the fact that every major player bar one has signed up for a new contract on the wage scale we are prepared to pay...

So we CAN attract highly rated international players for the wages we are prepared to pay....

Perhaps Coppell can spot the players who can accept that £25 is a HUGE sum of money to earn and look beyond that for their motivation.

fool

by fool » 28 Mar 2007 13:31

Thinking about the idea to pay big wages to attract players like murphy reminds me of Keown and Ferdinand period, who to be honest had no real desire to get the club somewhere.

Brian Clough had a similar policy to Coppell, giving opportunities to unknown talented players. This is one on the clubs big selling points and I hope will not be overshadowed by big money offers.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 28 Mar 2007 13:32

Behindu
Perhaps Coppell can spot the players who can accept that £25 is a HUGE sum of money to earn and look beyond that for their motivation.

With respect, I don't see that as a special skill.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 28 Mar 2007 13:40

Behindu I think that the wages elsewhere are more likely to start to drop to our level.

What's your reasoning behind that, baring in mind the new TV deal and the huge revenue increases for all Premiership clubs?

Everyone I've heard talk about it has said the real winners will be the players, in the form of even more obscene wages.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 28 Mar 2007 13:48

Biscuit So Danny Murphy considers himself a top class player does he, and worthy of £40,000 a week? I think I'd rather continue with the young, hungry players who are delighted to have the chance to test themselves in the Premier League, and are not only thinking about where they can pick up the fattest pay cheque.

I agree, but if we're adopting that policy we can't very well complain when those players leave for more money once they have proved themselves with us.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 28 Mar 2007 13:56

Exactly, our wages should move in line with our revenue and remain at the same percentage even if that means we end up paying players more. So if more money is the real reasoning behind Sidwell not signing (not that I think it is) then we will set a rather bad precedent if we wish to continue expanding as a club.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 28 Mar 2007 13:58

Just out of interest, does anyone know what Bolton's wage structure is? I know they players like Diouf and Le Sulk, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Nolan wanted more than the 20k he was offered on a new deal. It was a poultry amount anyway.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 28 Mar 2007 13:59

I'd imagine that Bolton's wage structure has a fairly low basic but very large bonuses based on performance and appearances. How else could they attract players like Djourkaeff, Okocha, Campo, Hierro, Diouf, Bobic and Anelka

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 28 Mar 2007 14:10

We don't sign names, we make them.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 28 Mar 2007 14:15

Y21 We don't sign names, we make them.

Les Ferdinand, Martin Keown, Ray Houghton

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 28 Mar 2007 14:16

:wink:

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 28 Mar 2007 14:18

RG30

Dave Kitson, Kevin Doyle, Stephen Hunt, Marcus Hahnemann, Nicky Shorey, Graham Murty

Your 2 short term contracts and one has been trumped by a whole number of players who have come from nowhere to the top of their profession with us......

aaronrfc

by aaronrfc » 28 Mar 2007 14:21

Gordons Cumming
Behindu

With respect, I don't see that as a special skill.

:shock:
surely we need to be looking at more intelligent players than people who think £25 is a huge some of money?
although i wouldnt put it past coppell to find a gem on £25/week! :D

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 28 Mar 2007 14:25

Behindu
RG30

Dave Kitson, Kevin Doyle, Stephen Hunt, Marcus Hahnemann, Nicky Shorey, Graham Murty

Your 2 short term contracts and one has been trumped by a whole number of players who have come from nowhere to the top of their profession with us......

I would hardly say top of their profession, they have performed well enough at lower levels to be deserving of a chance in the Premiership. Certainly in the case of Shorey, Kitson & Doyle. I would not count Hahnemann as he was around way before we were on the scene and played at a higher level and Murty cost a small fortune at the time when we signed him from York.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 28 Mar 2007 14:38

Huntley & Palmer
Behindu
RG30

I would hardly say top of their profession, they have performed well enough at lower levels to be deserving of a chance in the Premiership. Certainly in the case of Shorey, Kitson & Doyle. I would not count Hahnemann as he was around way before we were on the scene and played at a higher level and Murty cost a small fortune at the time when we signed him from York.

Hahnemann was about to quit the game and was struggling to get a game for Fulham reserves. He's played less than 10 games for a firstteam in this country when we signed him and he's come a long, long way.
Murts cost a lot when he moved but had no profile, had a very suspect attitude and was still a lower division player. He's become an International, a Premiership captain, the successor to Parky as the fans hero and a reputation as one of the more articulate and level headed players around.
I think both have transformed themselves at Reading !!