Next Manager for RFC

Who should be the next Reading Manager, when Sir SC goes?

Lawrie Sanchez
30%
Phil Parkinson
31%
A.N Other
39%

Total votes: 96
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Mar 2007 20:26

AJ~ Pardew will return to manage Reading in the top flight as he should have done in the first.

I'd rather a steam roller drove over my balls.

Not just that he's a traitor - more that he's actually not very good.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 31 Mar 2007 20:29

I think Pards is a great manager, getting a promoted team to the FA cup final, and seamingly getting Charlton out of trouble this season (well they are playing better under him!)

Anyway it has to be the greasy Chip!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 Mar 2007 20:50

floyd__streete Dillon struggled in the manager's role after Pards left. Some people - some damn good coaches - have never made a successful transition into management.

He did, yes, but he's had over three years working with The Master since then.

Cemy Junction Expat

by Cemy Junction Expat » 31 Mar 2007 21:03

I think we should just take things one manager at a time for now ...

runrunrunrungilksey

by runrunrunrungilksey » 31 Mar 2007 21:38

Bowman's Quiver God forbid Lawrie Sanchez ever get's to manage Reading FC :o

He works reasonably well with limited resources. I really don't think he's any better than that.

What better than to prove yourself at international level, which may i add is what LS has done or is doing, guarentee first signing would be Healey who i think is hot property at the mo and would relish the cance at signing him FOR RFC!

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 31 Mar 2007 21:38

Dirk Gently
floyd__streete Dillon struggled in the manager's role after Pards left. Some people - some damn good coaches - have never made a successful transition into management.

He did, yes, but he's had over three years working with The Master since then.

Wally Downes worked with Steve Coppell pre Reading FC, doesn't mean he done a good job at Brentford.

Dillon, IMHO has missed the boat to be a Manager. I think I'm right in thinking he went for the Oxford job a few years back, but didn't get it.

runrunrunrungilksey

by runrunrunrungilksey » 31 Mar 2007 21:45

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe The fact they won't even let Sanchez in the directors box when they let Pardew in says it all about what they think of Sanchez. You can't forget what a complete and utter grade A tosser he is. He's been so lucky with how the NI job has saved his reputation.

Anyway, they'll be a much higher calibre of manager applying for the job when Coppell goes and I still think promoting from within is a possibility with Dolan being the obvious candidate.

?? what planet you on mate?? Do you know Sanchez then?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 Mar 2007 21:50

He does have a point. JM does not like Sanchez.

I have heard that at the "Homes of Football" exhibition opening at Reading Museum in Sept 03, Sanchez really pestered JM for the vacancy then, and was really in his face.

JM was not impressed, and he is the sort of man who bears grudges

runrunrunrungilksey

by runrunrunrungilksey » 31 Mar 2007 21:50

Played under Dillon in the youth team! Good coach not so good man manager unlike SC who I think is gonna be in the RFC hall of fame!

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 31 Mar 2007 22:22

To be fair, the team continued to struggle when Coppell took charge, so it might be harsh to lay that entirely at Dillon's feet.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 31 Mar 2007 22:24

Niel Warnock :wink:

runrunrunrungilksey

by runrunrunrungilksey » 31 Mar 2007 22:29

Chaney Niel Warnock :wink:

Neil?/ or is that some foreign coach?

If the current Shef u then F off

Cookie

Re: Next Manager for RFC

by Cookie » 01 Apr 2007 00:32

The 17 Bus Hopefully a long way off, but two seem to be way out in front, so which one for you?

WTF Pl.ease lock tHis thread!!!

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Manager for RFC

by URZZ » 01 Apr 2007 01:50

The 17 Bus Hopefully a long way off, but two seem to be way out in front, so which one for you?

Cookie [WTF Pl.ease lock tHis thread!!!

URZZ Enjoying this season more than you were enjoying last season or vice versa?

To a lot of you it will probably sound like a ridiculous question but seriously, what have you enjoyed more, last season or this season?

(Note I do know this season hasn't finished)

And I'm not groaning and complaining, the Premiership is we've always wanted to reach and it is indeed fantastic but I can't help but look back on last year and the way we out-played teams and the big scores etc, etc.

Cookie :roll:

That's two normal, sensible threads now that you've posted pointless pieces of shit into. Wtf is your problem?

If you don't like the subject of the thread, don't fcuking post.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 01 Apr 2007 01:56

On a more serious note, both of them should be considered. Especially Sanchez as I would prefer him over the two of them but they are both two wise choices.

What about a return of Pardew? :shock: - Brung up by someone I spoken to earlier earlier:
"I wouldn't say no to him being the manager of Reading again."

But it would be a lot like a child running away from home with your money, and returning torn, pennyless and hungry. I wouldn't trust the guy as far as I could throw him but he is an extremely good manager.

However good he is though, I wouldn't even think about giving him a job.

Snidy little Judas who would be quite willing to do the same thing again, plus the feeling wouldn't be quite there.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Apr 2007 02:12

Ryan Giggs.....(keep laughing)

Boston Royal

by Boston Royal » 01 Apr 2007 02:16

I'm not sure why we need confine ourselves to people with past histories with the club. Both Parky and Sanchez have played for RFC but I don't think it means they'll try any harder or do any better. Their records are not terrible, but not stellar either.

Our most successful managers are Coppell, McGhee and Pardew, none of whom played for the club before they joined in their first coaching role. Any professional manager will try his best regardless of his previous affiliation with the club. There are many examples of playing heroes returning to their club (partly being appointed out of sentiment) and doing badly.

When Sir Steve leaves, there will hopefully be some up-and-coming young managers in the Prem or Championship who we can get (e.g. someone with a track record of Billy Davies, but a more likeable personality), or an experienced manager in the mould of Coppell himself.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Apr 2007 02:20

yes

Ryan Giggs

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 01 Apr 2007 08:38

runrunrunrungilksey
What better than to prove yourself at international level, which may i add is what LS has done or is doing, guarentee first signing would be Healey who i think is hot property at the mo and would relish the cance at signing him FOR RFC!

Can;t think that international level is a very good place to prove yourself for club management, seeing as they are two totally different situations !
In fact I would fight very shy of someone unproven at club level but with alittle bit of success at moderate international level.

As for Healey, your point is a bit irrelevant seeing as we are talking about a hypothetical situation 4 or 5 years int he future !
Healey won;t still be in Leeds reserves then, he might not even be scoring goals !

Harold

by Harold » 01 Apr 2007 14:08

Jose Mourinho.