I'm officially bored of travelling away with Reading

275 posts
southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 04 Apr 2007 08:43

3 veesinarow
southbank1871 Won't be reading that

I only care enough to reply "Don't care".

I only said that because of the way the post was written, I couldn't be arsed... Have now taken the time to read it and you made some decent points, so well done you.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

Re: I'm officially bored of travelling away with Reading

by southbank1871 » 04 Apr 2007 08:45

Chaney
Dr Hfuhruhurr
SpaceCruiser
Dr Hfuhruhurr Id actually, rather be back in the Championship.

You want us to be relegated?!?!? :shock:

How very observant of you. Spotter's badge.

dear oh dear, why dont you take up watching golf, this football thing really isnt for you is it?
just STOP going, no-one is forcing you DOCTOR. it might free up a seat for a genuine fan next season

I don't even think he's a real doctor

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 04 Apr 2007 09:45

southbank1871 I only said that because of the way the post was written, I couldn't be arsed... Have now taken the time to read it and you made some decent points, so well done you.

Thanks for the endorsement...Can't see how I could have written it any differently, though. A series of pithy and witty one-liners wouldn't have worked to get my points across, so a small essay seemed to be the way forward.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 04 Apr 2007 10:08

Dont worry - 'my seat' is free most games where Im sure it is taken by someone far more seriously into this than me.

BerksBlue

by BerksBlue » 04 Apr 2007 15:58

You all seem to be forgetting the point that standing up is not actually an option! You are not told to sit down because the 7yr old behind you cant see, its actually a legal requirement!!! I am not saying I agree with it but its what you do now. And the people who stand up are not 'helping' the club by creating an atmosphere they are actually hindering the club because excessive standing up will lead to ticket allocations being chopped!

joe999

by joe999 » 04 Apr 2007 16:58

but what about the games where there is no 7 year old? games like man utd away in the cup... some mental b**tard sitting next to me shouting at the bloke in front of me. Clubs can't expect any passionate football fan to sit down throughout a game. Fact.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 04 Apr 2007 17:04

joe999 but what about the games where there is no 7 year old? games like man utd away in the cup... some mental b**tard sitting next to me shouting at the bloke in front of me. Clubs can't expect any passionate football fan to sit down throughout a game. Fact.

Clubs don't. Clubs are told what to do by their local licensing authority and the FLA.

And that's an actual Fact - not just a joe999 "fact"!

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 05 Apr 2007 08:27

What price for a 'safe standing campaign' after last night then?

You can argue until you are blue in the face about the relevance of the events in Rome, but the politicians and FLA will inevitably see that as a sign that standing is not safe. Just put yourself in their position - England = all seater stadia at the top level = no serious crowd trouble for years; Italy = standing on terraces = serious trouble; add to the the fact that an English club was involved this time and it all adds up to a big no to the chances of reintroducing standing to our stadiums.

It may or may not be a valid comparison, and it may or may not be a relevant argument, but it will be employed to ensure that standing doesn't happen here.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 05 Apr 2007 08:57

BerksBlue You are not told to sit down because the 7yr old behind you cant see, its actually a legal requirement!!!

Wrong.

The requirement to sit is not enshrined in law. It is a condition of the local FLA and council approving the grant of a safety certificate. And they apply the rule very differently depending on which local authority the ground is in, and who your FLA officer is.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 Apr 2007 09:18

West Stand Man What price for a 'safe standing campaign' after last night then?

You can argue until you are blue in the face about the relevance of the events in Rome, but the politicians and FLA will inevitably see that as a sign that standing is not safe. Just put yourself in their position - England = all seater stadia at the top level = no serious crowd trouble for years; Italy = standing on terraces = serious trouble; add to the the fact that an English club was involved this time and it all adds up to a big no to the chances of reintroducing standing to our stadiums.

It may or may not be a valid comparison, and it may or may not be a relevant argument, but it will be employed to ensure that standing doesn't happen here.

Eh???? All matches in all UEFA competitions must be played in all-seater stadia - that includes yesterday's.

That's the reason the German stadia have standing areas with convertible seating - so they can cater for both.

So personally I can see no link between yesterday and the safe standing debate, except possibly further evidence that there is no link between football-related disorder and standing/sitting.

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 05 Apr 2007 09:18

After seeing the events in Rome and being at ALOLdershit the other night I have to say I love following Reading home and away. Good people, well behaved and most of the time very noisey.

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 05 Apr 2007 11:34

hooliganism in italy is intricately tied to politics. Because they have a more proportionate voting system, the far right parties veto anti-hooligan/ football legislation to retain there votes, im pretty sure roma was all seating anyway, just that no one was really sitting

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 05 Apr 2007 11:41

Dirk Gently

Eh???? All matches in all UEFA competitions must be played in all-seater stadia - that includes yesterday's.

That's the reason the German stadia have standing areas with convertible seating - so they can cater for both.

So personally I can see no link between yesterday and the safe standing debate, except possibly further evidence that there is no link between football-related disorder and standing/sitting.

I bow to your knowledge on this one. You might help by refering me to the relevant regulation? I have looked on the UEFA website, at the rules for the Champions League, and they don't say that so far as I can tell. In fact they only say that the stadium must have a valid safety certificate, valid under the national law of that country.
Anyway,it is not really relevant to my original argument, if you read it carefully.

And, yet again, you miss the main thrust of what I was saying - it isn't yours or my personal opinion on this that counts it is the people who make the rules whose opinions are important. I am merely suggesting that they will inevitably use this to 'demonstrate' that football fans are not ready for standing areas in stadiums.

http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/19071.pdf

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 05 Apr 2007 12:01

West Stand Man
Dirk Gently

I bow to your knowledge on this one. You might help by refering me to the relevant regulation? I have looked on the UEFA website, at the rules for the Champions League, and they don't say that so far as I can tell. In fact they only say that the stadium must have a valid safety certificate, valid under the national law of that country.
Anyway,it is not really relevant to my original argument, if you read it carefully.

And, yet again, you miss the main thrust of what I was saying - it isn't yours or my personal opinion on this that counts it is the people who make the rules whose opinions are important. I am merely suggesting that they will inevitably use this to 'demonstrate' that football fans are not ready for standing areas in stadiums.

WSM WTF?
I'm sure if you put baton charging police into any game in the UK the results would be exactly the same :roll:

boycey

by boycey » 05 Apr 2007 12:03

shirlly it's an all seater stadium in Rome?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 05 Apr 2007 12:08

boycey shirlly it's an all seater stadium in Rome?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 05 Apr 2007 12:08

Skin
West Stand Man
Dirk Gently

WSM WTF?
I'm sure if you put baton charging police into any game in the UK the results would be exactly the same :roll:

I didn't say it wouldn't. I say again, this will be used by others to justify the law/rule, rightly or wrongly.

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 05 Apr 2007 12:11

As I've said before, I prefer a packed terrace at Ninian Park to sitting at grounds like the Emirates.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 05 Apr 2007 12:12

earley_royals As I've said before, I prefer a packed terrace at Ninian Park to sitting at grounds like the Emirates.

And why is that? Because you like being a little hooligan?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 05 Apr 2007 12:27

earley_royals As I've said before, I prefer a packed terrace at Ninian Park to sitting at grounds like the Emirates.

Well, you could always support Cardiff and satisfy your wishes. :oops:

275 posts