I'm officially bored of travelling away with Reading

275 posts
SWA

by SWA » 10 Apr 2007 01:06

Royal 0pinion I've given up going to watch Reading now for a lot of these reasons. Its not as simple as because we cant stand, and its certainly not because I strive for aggro - before one the many thought police on this thread try to suggest otherwise.

With highlights of our every game on television giving at least as good a view of the action as I'd likely have in the stand, I wouldnt be going for just the football anymore...

Atmosphere............. dont make me laugh! OK so there are odd occasions, but those that are billed as big games end up swamped by 'daytrippers'

The majority of my fellow supporters would be quiet, boring & lacking any grasp of the concept of humour. So I certainly wouldnt be going for the people...

Letting slip expletives gets you into trouble with at least the militant mother infront (who has no such reservations herself, I must add, whilst receiving a firm shafting from the milkman each morning)

Even having a few drinks or a fag is frowned upon or banned !!! (ok well I know the days for fags are numbered anyway)

Its like the fookin matrix. Sat there lifeless in your allocated receptacle, electronically tagged by your seat number & smart card, watched on cctv & by stewards with contempt, whilst the fat cats drain us of a significant wodge of cash :shock:

It was great fun back in the day but now its just not worth spending the many many hours, miles & pounds to go watch some blokes kick some leather round in a field, in the company of the boy scouts and their step-dads. Sorry :wink:

Its why im happy to be sat here with a few cans and a roast on its way, about to watch KO from the comfort of my own sofa :D

G'ARN U ROYALS!!!

Good post lad

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 10 Apr 2007 01:42

I didn't ever think i'd get to the stage where i'd be bored of watching Reading but i'm pretty close now, if it wasn't for the fact of knowing so many people who go i probably wouldn't bother, it's certainly not value for money and the whole day just isn't as good anymore.

I went to Swindon v Torquay this afternoon, the Torquay fans around me were fantastic. They know their team is rubbish but there is an element of humour/passion that just isn't rivalled by Premiership supporters. About 90% of the Torquay following (i'd guess 5-600 in total) stood throughout, when a steward told them to sit, he got told where to go. They continued backing/slating their team! :D Now this isn't a look at them hoolignas what bunch of dicks sort of thing, they weren't, they were people raning from ages 7 or 8 to about 65+ Most in Torquay shirts, but just genuine fans having fun, and supporting their team. It really makes you (well it did me) open your eyes and think 'this is what it's about, this is what we miss'

Our away support is filled with day trippers these days, people so obsessed by rules and regulations that if someone stands it some sort of terrible crime. The only person in that away end who asked someone to sit down was the steward, he was told to fcuk off! :lol:

I don't know what the answer is tbh. Just i had a hell of a lot more fun at the Torquay game today and something (even though they will be in the Conference next year) that i will go to more often, than i did at the Reading game.

As i said i don't know what the answer is, but there seems to be a lack of passion in the stands these days, a sort of expectancy that has taken over, i dunno but it certainly aint as fun anymore.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 10 Apr 2007 08:03

Royal 0pinion

Letting slip expletives gets you into trouble with at least the militant mother infront (who has no such reservations herself, I must add, whilst receiving a firm shafting from the milkman each morning)

G'ARN U ROYALS!!!

I thought this part was worth repeating, inncase some could not be arsed to read all your post

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 10 Apr 2007 08:08

How was Charlton then, folks?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 10 Apr 2007 08:54

Anyone here starting to think relegation might not be such a bad thing?

- less money spent on tickets
- lose a hell of a lot of day trippers
- less "glamour" and bullsh*t involved
- probably - in all honesty - a more exciting league, with absolutely no idea who will win it or get relegated.

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 10 Apr 2007 09:30

Alan Partridge I didn't ever think i'd get to the stage where i'd be bored of watching Reading but i'm pretty close now, if it wasn't for the fact of knowing so many people who go i probably wouldn't bother, it's certainly not value for money and the whole day just isn't as good anymore.

I went to Swindon v Torquay this afternoon, the Torquay fans around me were fantastic. They know their team is rubbish but there is an element of humour/passion that just isn't rivalled by Premiership supporters. About 90% of the Torquay following (i'd guess 5-600 in total) stood throughout, when a steward told them to sit, he got told where to go. They continued backing/slating their team! :D Now this isn't a look at them hoolignas what bunch of dicks sort of thing, they weren't, they were people raning from ages 7 or 8 to about 65+ Most in Torquay shirts, but just genuine fans having fun, and supporting their team. It really makes you (well it did me) open your eyes and think 'this is what it's about, this is what we miss'

Our away support is filled with day trippers these days, people so obsessed by rules and regulations that if someone stands it some sort of terrible crime. The only person in that away end who asked someone to sit down was the steward, he was told to fcuk off! :lol:

I don't know what the answer is tbh. Just i had a hell of a lot more fun at the Torquay game today and something (even though they will be in the Conference next year) that i will go to more often, than i did at the Reading game.

As i said i don't know what the answer is, but there seems to be a lack of passion in the stands these days, a sort of expectancy that has taken over, i dunno but it certainly aint as fun anymore.

Good post AP.

I was at Aldershot yesterday and even though they're still obsessed with Reading, the atmosphere was great! £7 to go and stand on one of the biggest terraces left, see a good game of football and be home again by 5:00 :D

I agree with what you said about passion in the lower leagues. I go to watch MK Dons every now and again, and I know it seems wierd saying MK Dons has "passion", but there is certainly more fun to be had with 500 or Dons fans then there is with 3,000 with Reading at away games. As our game with Newcastle got moved to a Monday, I'm going to watch MK away at Wycombe and tbh I'm looking forward to that more then I am to going to Bolton.

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: between the old wheatsheaf and the rose and thistle

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 10 Apr 2007 09:33

Farnborough Royal
Alan Partridge I didn't ever think i'd get to the stage where i'd be bored of watching Reading but i'm pretty close now, if it wasn't for the fact of knowing so many people who go i probably wouldn't bother, it's certainly not value for money and the whole day just isn't as good anymore.

Good post AP.

I was at Aldershot yesterday and even though they're still obsessed with Reading, the atmosphere was great! £7 to go and stand on one of the biggest terraces left, see a good game of football and be home again by 5:00 :D

I agree with what you said about passion in the lower leagues. I go to watch MK Dons every now and again, and I know it seems wierd saying MK Dons has "passion", but there is certainly more fun to be had with 500 or Dons fans then there is with 3,000 with Reading at away games. As our game with Newcastle got moved to a Monday, I'm going to watch MK away at Wycombe and tbh I'm looking forward to that more then I am to going to Bolton.

the conference is the way forward:)

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 10 Apr 2007 09:33

Pity you don't appear to go and watch any teams there then Frimmers. :roll:

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Apr 2007 09:44

Jerry St Clair How was Charlton then, folks?

Lots of over eager police and stewards, cramped legroom that meant I had to sit over two/three seats, no alcohol from ten minutes before the match onwards, no standing. Atmosphere was OK at times but it's the same five songs as always, just glad I got the away season ticket out of the way this season. I shan't be renewing it again and will maybe go to five away games maximum next season

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 10 Apr 2007 09:45

I had Floyd bellowing in my ear throughout the game. That is all. :wink:

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 10 Apr 2007 10:44

Royal Lady Pity you don't appear to go and watch any teams there then Frimmers. :roll:

i do...but i do not trumpet the fact.i go when my shift pattern allows.football is a game,life is real.

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 10 Apr 2007 10:44

Royal Lady I had Floyd bellowing in my ear throughout the game. That is all. :wink:

they kept that gig quiet.....

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 10 Apr 2007 12:14

Huntley & Palmer
Jerry St Clair How was Charlton then, folks?

Lots of over eager police and stewards, cramped legroom that meant I had to sit over two/three seats, no alcohol from ten minutes before the match onwards, no standing. Atmosphere was OK at times but it's the same five songs as always, just glad I got the away season ticket out of the way this season. I shan't be renewing it again and will maybe go to five away games maximum next season

Second away game running Reading fans been refused alchoal at half time :roll:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 Apr 2007 13:12

Row Z was the place to be - loved it and stood up the whole game!!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 10 Apr 2007 13:59

Royal Lady I had Floyd bellowing in my ear throughout the game. That is all. :wink:

Murked

275 posts