Sidwell Replacement - Who would you go for?

207 posts
Harold

by Harold » 13 Apr 2007 12:03

Frank Lampard.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Apr 2007 12:04

still worth it

The_Cat

by The_Cat » 13 Apr 2007 12:04

Billy Jones at Crewe has been touted as a very popular player for the future, maybe not replacing Sidwell straight away but over time, he can also play at either full back and centre back as well as centre mid and would only cost around 1m.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 13 Apr 2007 12:04

Harold Frank Lampard.

I'd prefer Steven Gerrard. Much better player IMO

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Apr 2007 12:18

Harold Frank Lampard.

You can stick Lampard up your arse. If he'd fit.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 13 Apr 2007 12:21

1960 I hear that there is a promising young player at Colchester, name of Halford. Can play defence or midfield. I reckon we could sign him if we were wiling to pay out our record fee.

I know it's early days for Halford, but from what I've seen in the reserves he isn't mobile enough for CM. Hopefully I'm wrong.

BerksBlue

by BerksBlue » 13 Apr 2007 12:24

I'm on the Bullard boat. He would be an immense signing!

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 13 Apr 2007 12:26

No doubt we'll buy someone for £5m, who'll then be kept out the team by Bryn!!

We have to go for Gilo Barnes, just oozes class at Derby. Though it'll will prob end up being a foreign player no one knows, was it Faye last summer??

Sid needs replacing with 2 players though imo, one to replace Sid and one to kick Harps up the ass!!

As for Bikey and Halford, lets just be happy if they turn into decent centre halfs and rights backs respectively and not kid ourselves their gonna be playing centre mid next season.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 13 Apr 2007 12:29

brendywendy
Huntley & Palmer Well we won't be able to tempt anyone away from their current Premiership club, apart from those kicking around in the reserves. We don't have the kudos nor the wages to allow it.

Our best bet is someone who misses out at Championship level. I am dearly hoping that Chris Brunt could be tempted from what I have seen of him, has the ability to play anywhere across the midfield. Or Gera at WBA if they don't make it

no, surely the best idea would be to raid the relegated prem clubs

i think our problem will be clubs of equivalent standing as us (mid-table area) that can offer far more in wages without even battering an eye lid. I think someone at Championship level would be far more achievable

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 13 Apr 2007 12:35

James Harper to play a more attacking role??? you must be kidding yourselves surely? Harper can't slice open a cake let alone a defence and his shooting is atrocious.

People mention Giles Barnes, though i thought he was a striker for Derby and not a central midfielder??

Gunnarsson is the type of player who would be good in central midfield for us though finding a partner is more difficult.

Flamini is leaving Arsenal, and in my view is not out of our bracket if we are looking to establish.

Chaplow doesnt play for West Brom, then again a cheap buy for Coppell to turn around could be useful. Then obviously Gera & Koumas.

Think Gary 0'Neill is out of the question due to his form for Portsmouth.

It's going to be us looking abroad i feel, maybe the Copa America can produce a beauty we can nick. Luis Jimenez of Chile is a great attacking midfielder, not sure hes playing to often at Villareal.

Tough to think of central midfielders off the top of my head...Muntari of Udinese had a good world cup and his price has dropped to around 5 million according to skysports.

Emerse Fae...will be go back in for him?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 13 Apr 2007 12:36

Quite funny seeing the name Giles Barnes touted around on these boards but if only Reading Football Club had a good scouting network up and running 10 years ago, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Gilo use to go to school in Reading and was in my class, had unbelivable ability even at such an early age and moved to Nottingham when he was 11, although I think he was initially with Forest before going to Derby.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 13 Apr 2007 12:39

Coppell's Right Footed 11 James Harper to play a more attacking role??? you must be kidding yourselves surely? Harper can't slice open a cake let alone a defence and his shooting is atrocious.

I think that does Harper a dis-service. A lot of our goals last season were created around Harper linking up outside the box with the strikers, I can clearly remember QPR and Palace in these cases. His license to roam this season has been remanded and he has played a far more holding role across the midfield. I'd probably have Harper down as one of the most techincally gifted players in our squad.

dogmark01

by dogmark01 » 13 Apr 2007 12:45

mullins , seems to have gona a bit quiet @ west ham , world be a good replacement

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Apr 2007 12:45

Coppell's Right Footed 11 People mention Giles Barnes, though i thought he was a striker for Derby and not a central midfielder??

I think he's played out wide and behind the forward(s) as well as central midfield for Derby this year. From what Davies has been saying it's because he's not good enough to be trusted in their yet. From what I've seen he's quite Gazza like in the way he plays and his ability to go past players.

It might be too early for him to be thrust into our first team but he looks a great one for the future.

Coppell's Right Footed 11 Chaplow doesnt play for West Brom, then again a cheap buy for Coppell to turn around could be useful. Then obviously Gera & Koumas.

I'd love to see Gera at Reading. More a natural replacement for Little but he can play in the middle too.

As for Chaplow I've always be quite impressed by him. He is a bit like Sidwell in the way he can get up and down and the fact that he isn't playing for West Brom might make him an ideal target for Coppell/Dillion/Wally to work their magic with.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 13 Apr 2007 12:46

I doubt it would happen but reading the interviews with Gavin Mahon in the press today did get me thinking that he's a bit of a Coppell wet dream, fought his way back up from non league, played for Brentford, he'd be cheap and always gives his all. :lol:
Last edited by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe on 13 Apr 2007 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Apr 2007 12:48

RG30 Quite funny seeing the name Giles Barnes touted around on these boards but if only Reading Football Club had a good scouting network up and running 10 years ago, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Gilo use to go to school in Reading and was in my class, had unbelivable ability even at such an early age and moved to Nottingham when he was 11, although I think he was initially with Forest before going to Derby.

I didn't realise he'd spent time in Reading. I can't see that the club can be blamed for him moving away at such an early age though!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 Apr 2007 12:51

I think Jagielka would be great for us if Sheff U get relegated - I'd be prepared to pay up to 4-5 million to get him as well...

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 13 Apr 2007 12:51

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe I doubt it would happen but reading the interviews with Gavin Mahon in the press today did get me thinking that he's a bit of a Coppell wet dream, fought his way back up from non league, played for Brentford, he'd be cheap and always gives his all. :lol:

Still very much a Brentford man as well, I was chatting to him at the Div 2 Playoff Final in a pub before the match. Regardless of playing for Watford, he still goes and watches them when he can, unfortunately I think he is another player beyond his level and the work rate is the only thing that keeps him in the team. That and the fact Watford are shit :wink:

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 13 Apr 2007 12:51

Surprised nobody's mentioned Seyi George Olofinjana. He always looked a cut above the Championship when we played Wolves, and I think he's a ready made replacement for Sidders. Similar attributes to his game, similar build, playing in an average Championship team...could be worth a shout I think.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 13 Apr 2007 12:53

Handsome Man Harper will replace Sidwell brilliantly.
He will shine next year.

In my fantasies I would love to see somebody like Song join us, and maybe even Reo-Coker, but I think it will be a mix of Gunnarson and Halford.

I do think Flamini is completely shit though.

Did you go to Charlton?

Song is shite. Flamini will want a move to a bigger team.

207 posts