Hospitality Area In The East Stand

207 posts
Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 Apr 2007 07:53

Coppelled Streets
Top Flight Now that I have had a closer inspection of the plans I am just saying bring it on.

It needs to be done for RFC to be able to compete. Actually the plans are very exciting.

I have no idea whether I will be forced to move seats or not. I don't think I would have to but I'm not sure. But even if I do have to its fine.

RFC needs to have all of this at the Mad Stad. With all this in place we will be ahead of every club in the Championship and half the Premiership in terms of the Stadia and facilities and revenue generating possibilities of our stadia facilities.

We will even be up there stadia wise with the likes of Spurs, Everton & Villa for the time being. Even though they will all make more cash from Sponsorship and merchandising than we could hope to. But at least we will be really establishing ourselves as a top 20 club off the pitch. If we can become top 20 off the pitch then we are more likely to be top 20 on the pitch as well and therefore maintain long-term Premiership status.

The more ambitious the club can be the better. They should offer as much hospitality accommodation as is physically possible and as much seating accommodation for the people of Reading as possible.

Reading is a fast growing town and the Football club is growing with it. I don't think anyone knows at the moment how big a club Reading really is. We have some idea but it could be alot bigger than we realise. Right now all we know is that our current facilities and stadia isn't big enough. Lets get bigger and find out if we are big enough then!

I will be gutted if the fans lose the Jazz bar though. The ordinary fans really do need a decent bar to drink in before and after the match. I hope the club isn't just thinking, ahh the fans'll be alright, there'll be plenty of drinking outlets in the concourses. We need a proper football bar in the East Stand for the proper football fans to drink in.

We could even call the bar Sidwells bar in honour of the great service he has shown down the years.

This was a very good post until that drivel at the end.
There are many players way out ahead of Steve Sidwell that gave more to this football club.

If you do want a bar named after Sidwell, maybe we can call it 'Loose Change'?

The comment at the end was a sarcastic jokey comment........ I don't really think the bar should be called Sidwells but we do need a bar for the East Stand.

I agree with Behindu as well that every stand should have a bar.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 19 Apr 2007 09:09

Huntley & Palmer
Stranded
Huntley & Palmer Who cares, hospitality rakes in far more money than fans do on a seasonal basis, therefore more accomodation is being created for them. No-one is losing out, some will move seats a few rows lower or higher. Big deal.

Couldn't agree more. Especially as those forced to move about 50 yards will be compensated and will get first choice on all new seats.

I could understand the furore a bit more if these seats were being put in with no additional seating being added but no-one is really losing out.

The moan would be only slightly valid if the seats were owned by the ST holder in question, it's even worse considering they don't.

But they have to buy a new member card aswell remember

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 19 Apr 2007 10:07

PieEater
Stranded
Huntley & Palmer Who cares, hospitality rakes in far more money than fans do on a seasonal basis, therefore more accomodation is being created for them. No-one is losing out, some will move seats a few rows lower or higher. Big deal.

Couldn't agree more. Especially as those forced to move about 50 yards will be compensated and will get first choice on all new seats.

I could understand the furore a bit more if these seats were being put in with no additional seating being added but no-one is really losing out.

That is your opinion, mine is that I like my seat and those people around me and I don't like being asked to step aside to make way for a richer class of supporter. I think those affected who are not happy with such a move are entitled to raise awareness of what is happening and to lobby the club to change the plans before they are set in stone. Whoever handed out the leaflet did better than I did when I raised the issue on the stadium thread a month ago. Now the press are on the case, there is more chance of either a change of plans or a clear view on what is proposed.

Hospitality is still possible without causing as much disruption, there just needs a will to do it.

But it isn't your seat to get on your soap box about, it's the club's. You don't own it, you are given the ability to rent it for a season at a time. You are able to move seat whenever you want, for any game you want. Hospitality is how clubs make their money outside of ST sales and merchandising, it brings in vast sums ( I believe around 20k a season per box currently). If they can increase the capacity and facilities of these areas then the money produced will go back into the club. You will be offered another seat, it doesn't really matter where as the views around the ground are still excellent. Hell, you might even get a better view from further up the new tier or nearer the centre line. But don't let your own selfish views get in the way of progress.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 19 Apr 2007 13:48

There's been some interesting comments, wild speculation and mixed emotions on this subject so far. And I don't really know where I stand on the matter.

On the one hand the club has got to progress, hospitality is so lucrative these days and the stadium is crying out for a greater variety of bars and eating establishments. I hope that there's plans for a new Jazz Café/Royals Rendezvous type bar, where you can sit down, watch pre and post match SKY TV, take the children, get a bite to eat, without having to fork out for the privilege.

On the other, I sympathise with PieEater and others. I'm lucky enough to sit on the other side of the Y24 stairs so it doesn't look like I'm going to be directly affected. I completely understand the legalities of season ticket seat 'ownership', but many people picked their seat nearly 10 years ago, are surrounded by friends and family and don't want to move. I've been in the same seat, next to friends since that first Luton game, but had to move for a season, after RFC messed up my season ticket renewal. On my own, five rows down, a few seats nearer to the South Stand, the view although still excellent, wasn't the same, and I've got to say, I hated it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Apr 2007 15:09

Whore Jackie There's been some interesting comments, wild speculation and mixed emotions on this subject so far. And I don't really know where I stand on the matter.

On the one hand the club has got to progress, hospitality is so lucrative these days and the stadium is crying out for a greater variety of bars and eating establishments. I hope that there's plans for a new Jazz Café/Royals Rendezvous type bar, where you can sit down, watch pre and post match SKY TV, take the children, get a bite to eat, without having to fork out for the privilege.

On the other, I sympathise with PieEater and others. I'm lucky enough to sit on the other side of the Y24 stairs so it doesn't look like I'm going to be directly affected. I completely understand the legalities of season ticket seat 'ownership', but many people picked their seat nearly 10 years ago, are surrounded by friends and family and don't want to move. I've been in the same seat, next to friends since that first Luton game, but had to move for a season, after RFC messed up my season ticket renewal. On my own, five rows down, a few seats nearer to the South Stand, the view although still excellent, wasn't the same, and I've got to say, I hated it.

But surely in this instance if you are sat with family and friends then in the majority of cases you'll all have to move. Given that first priority on new seats will be given to those moved they will all be able to move together and sit together.

Even in the rare instance where some in a group are affected and others not I'm sure there will be flexibility in allowing those who wish to sit together to continue to do so.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 19 Apr 2007 22:12

I think the club should turn the whole stadium in to one great big hospitality suite and be done with it. Football fans have no place in the modern game.

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 20 Apr 2007 08:37

shadesrwrf I think the club should turn the whole stadium in to one great big hospitality suite and be done with it. Football fans have no place in the modern game.

Quite right - no-ne in any form of hospitality can possibly be a football fan :lol:

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 20 Apr 2007 11:29

shadesrwrf I think the club should turn the whole stadium in to one great big hospitality suite and be done with it. Football fans have no place in the modern game.

Thats the next step ... However we wont findout about it untill it has been done.

They may hold a couple of exhibitions that are held at such a time that you wont be able to attend

:lol:

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 20 Apr 2007 11:39

bigmike

Thats the next step ... However we wont findout about it untill it has been done.

They may hold a couple of exhibitions that are held at such a time that you wont be able to attend

Indeed, anyone whose not been to the Mad Stad in the last 6 months will not have had the chance to see the material !

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Apr 2007 12:12

Behindu
bigmike

Indeed, anyone whose not been to the Mad Stad in the last 6 months will not have had the chance to see the material !
Where is it then?

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 20 Apr 2007 12:28

Royal Lady
Behindu
bigmike

Where is it then?

Only people in the know know where it is :wink:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Apr 2007 12:45

Well precisely. Because it's not in the Mega store or on the East Stand concourse, so quite where else at the ground I'm expected to find it, I do not know. :roll:

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 20 Apr 2007 12:54

It's in main reception and has been for months, IIRC the publicity in October stated they would be there after the evening exhibition and they have remained there ever since.

Hardly an obscure location (and more accessible than the East Stand concourse !)

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Apr 2007 12:57

Well, I have never ever been, in my life, to the main reception at the Stadium. I also have not seen anything advertising that fact. I don't buy programmes, so if it was in there, I wouldn't have seen it. :roll:

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 20 Apr 2007 13:03

Royal Lady Well, I have never ever been, in my life, to the main reception at the Stadium. I also have not seen anything advertising that fact. I don't buy programmes, so if it was in there, I wouldn't have seen it. :roll:

Um, but if you were interested, and asked, you would have been able to see it, it's not locked away or anywhere not easily accessible pretty much 24x7 !
Most of it is on the OS anyway....

I guess we are in RoyalBlue territory here where the assumption is JM will pop round everyone's house and talk them through stuff personally :lol:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Apr 2007 13:05

Behindu
Royal Lady Well, I have never ever been, in my life, to the main reception at the Stadium. I also have not seen anything advertising that fact. I don't buy programmes, so if it was in there, I wouldn't have seen it. :roll:

Um, but if you were interested, and asked, you would have been able to see it, it's not locked away or anywhere not easily accessible pretty much 24x7 !

I guess we are in RoyalBlue territory here where the assumption is JM will pop round everyone's house and talk them through stuff personally :lol:
Condescending gobshite. I preferred you when you were Leo Sayer.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 20 Apr 2007 13:08

Royal Lady Condescending gobshite. I preferred you when you were Leo Sayer.

Condescending ?

Ok, have it your way.

'Gobshite' is such a lovely word though !!

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 20 Apr 2007 13:11

Behindu It's in main reception and has been for months, IIRC the publicity in October stated they would be there after the evening exhibition and they have remained there ever since.

Hardly an obscure location (and more accessible than the East Stand concourse !)

Is that the Main reception for the Hotel? Being that I wasn't aware that there was a main reception for the stadium.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Apr 2007 15:09

Behindu

Oh please hold my sides together before they split!

There is none so blind as those whose vision is obscured by the pair of cheeks in front of their nose.

All I and a number of others expect is some good sound business management (and I'm not referring specifically to this issue) and proactive communications from his minnions.

Put some of them in a non-monopoly business environment (for that is what football is in many cases) where there is plenty of competition and the customers aren't tied in for life by a ridiculous brand loyalty, and I doubt they would be much of a success.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 20 Apr 2007 15:13

RoyalBlue Put some of them in a non-monopoly business environment (for that is what football is in many cases) where there is plenty of competition and the customers aren't tied in for life by a ridiculous brand loyalty, and I doubt they would be much of a success.

I think they might fit in quite nicely at British Gas.....

207 posts