Does He Know The Importance Of That Goal?

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 20 Apr 2007 10:39

anR
irishroyal81 The top 4 players of the team this year imho all played that day. Brentford had hunt, sidwell and ingimarson and reading had shorey. Funny how things work out.

Don't forget Murty's match saving clearance...

Yep, can be seen on the youtube clip posted above. Amazed that cross wasn't converted personally!

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Does He Know The Importance Of That Goal?

by RG30 » 20 Apr 2007 10:49

RIP ELM Park
RG30 just remember where you were 5 years ago today and we were 13 minutes from not making the Playoffs

Small point but you might just want to remember that goal meant we didn't make the playoffs.

Had we lost, then there was no way IMHO we would have qualified through the Playoffs. Not only do we do shit in them, but the heartbreak the squad would have faced having screwed up towards the final 7 or 8 games, along with the fact John Mackie was injured could have been our nail in the coffin.

That season probably will go down at the moment as my 3rd favourite (after last season and this season). Had some real good away days that year (Chesterfield, Notts County, Wrexham).

Think I'll watch the video later, relieve that season.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 20 Apr 2007 11:02

RG30 Had we lost, then there was no way IMHO we would have qualified through the Playoffs. Not only do we do shit in them, but the heartbreak the squad would have faced having screwed up towards the final 7 or 8 games, along with the fact John Mackie was injured could have been our nail in the coffin.

And we were on a terrible run (10 consecutive draws, was it?).

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 20 Apr 2007 11:10

Yeah, been some weird moments along that run (losing 2 goal lead against Bristol City, not beating Northampton on Easter Monday, coming back from 2-0 down at Tranmere to draw, Phil Whitehead's howler against Peterborough)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Apr 2007 11:15

RG30 Yeah, been some weird moments along that run (losing 2 goal lead against Bristol City, not beating Northampton on Easter Monday, coming back from 2-0 down at Tranmere to draw, Phil Whitehead's howler against Peterborough)

Still feel that Rougier's goal at Tranmere was the most important of the season, even more so that Cureton's.

It got us back in the game and you could see the belief returning to the players. If we'd lost there we would not have got anywhere near promotion.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 20 Apr 2007 11:55

RG30 Yeah, been some weird moments along that run (losing 2 goal lead against Bristol City, not beating Northampton on Easter Monday, coming back from 2-0 down at Tranmere to draw, Phil Whitehead's howler against Peterborough)

The draw at home to Bournemouth,

We utterly pummelled them in the first half and should have been about 6-0 up. But lost it in the second half and they came back to draw 2-2 (I think). A few Bournemouth fans came ont he pitch to celebrate - that hadn't happened since until Chelsea this season.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 20 Apr 2007 11:59

Jerry St Clair Reading: Whitehead, Murty, Viveash, Shorey, Hughes, Igoe (Cureton 67), Parkinson, Williams, Salako, Butler (Savage 89), Forster. Subs not used: Talia, Roget, Watson

Brentford: Smith, Dobson, Ingimarsson, Powell, Anderson, Rowlands, Hunt (Williams 82), Sidwell, Evans, Owusu, Burgess. Subs not used: Gottskalksson, Boxall, O'Connor, Theobald.

Of course he gave us the first taste of the moonwalk at the final whistle.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 20 Apr 2007 12:00

I think that was nigh on them getting relegated, they really needed to win to get out of the mire and smashed a penalty over the bar in the dying minutes? Cureton score an almost wonder goal from the far left corner of the pitch that hit the bar?

Remember many a game from that season, away at Huddersfield when we went top of the league for the first time. Cracking result that and a good number of Reading up there, I remember setting off for that at about 5am as I played in an Internet Royals game beforehand. That run of draws culminating in Tranmere where we were 2-0 down at halftime or something. Remember we were in the pub past the away end on the left on a glorious day and Mr Mad pulled up in his Bentley, got out and walked around talking to all the fans for about 30 minutes. A true hero! I remember getting on 606 after that game and talking to Alan Green about whether this was some sort of record for consecutive draws
Last edited by Huntley & Palmer on 20 Apr 2007 12:06, edited 3 times in total.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Apr 2007 12:04

anR It's also fairly ironic that the Brentford player who dived into the goal fruitlessly trying to clear Cureton's goal after it went in was none other than Reading's current player of the season elect, Ivar Ingimarrson...

More importantly, I believe the player that conceded the free kick was none other than Steve Sidwell! :lol:

I reckon Coppell, Sidwell, Ivar etc. had already agreed to join us by the time the game kicked off!! :wink: :wink:

Stranded

Still feel that Rougier's goal at Tranmere was the most important of the season, even more so that Cureton's.

It got us back in the game and you could see the belief returning to the players. If we'd lost there we would not have got anywhere near promotion.

Agreed. I remember leaving that game telling everyone that would listen: 'Don't worry, after that result we will definitely draw at Brentford'.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 20 Apr 2007 12:07

How can I forget that memorable away game at Peterborough as well, 1-0 down then two Darius headers to win the game for us after Salako had got their right back sent off. Went absolutely mental after that goal and ran from the back of the terrace all the way down to the front.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 20 Apr 2007 12:17

Compo's Hat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmA6thXVYBQ&mode=related&search=

HAPPY DAYS

Didn't see where Cureton's ball landed as i was at the back but it didn't stop me going mental!!!!!

That has sent shivers down my spine!!!!

I had completely forgotten Murty's clearance off the line, but that was a touch of class from our now skipper. Who know's where we'd be if he didnt do that!

When Hicks went up...

by When Hicks went up... » 20 Apr 2007 12:26

Went straight back to the ground after the game, as did most others.

Unbelievable when the players got back in the coach...Curo milking it for all he could standing on top with Adi Whitbread.

In some ways thinking about those celebrations makes me more emotional than Leicester or Derby.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 20 Apr 2007 12:27

John Mackie almost falling off the top of the bus was funny as well

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 20 Apr 2007 13:04

Can't agree with that report, I think we very much played for the draw, evidenced by the fact that we barely got out of our half in the first half. It was a good job Brentford scored early in the second half rather than with a few minutes to go.

It does set the heart pumping more than Leicester as had we failed at Leicester, it would only have put off the inevitable until the next week. Had we failed at Brentford, god knows what would have happened, i'm pretty sure we would have blown out in the play offs and can't imagine how dissolusioned the players fans and chairman would have been having thrown away near certain promotion.

The most important goal in Reading's entire history IMHO

Skyline

by Skyline » 20 Apr 2007 13:22

Jerry St Clair
RG30 Had we lost, then there was no way IMHO we would have qualified through the Playoffs. Not only do we do shit in them, but the heartbreak the squad would have faced having screwed up towards the final 7 or 8 games, along with the fact John Mackie was injured could have been our nail in the coffin.

And we were on a terrible run (10 consecutive draws, was it?).

9 draws in 10 games - we beat Chesterfield 2-0 at their place. First in the run was the 2-2 away to Cambridge.

Didn't Peterborough have a really young keeper when they got the draw at our place? 17 or 18yo if I remember right.

And surprised no-one's mentioned the 3-3 with Brizzol Shitty yet - 3-2 after 15 minutes in one of the most explosive starts to a game I can remember, then they got a (dodgy, natch) penalty early in the second half to even it up.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 20 Apr 2007 13:27

Jerry St Clair The curious thing for me was how quiet it was on the train. I think everyone was just too emotionally exhausted to celebrate.

Not on the train I was on. Rammed with Reading supporters thumping the windows with their open palms making a right old racket. Then a brick came through one of the windows, narrowly missing some bloke.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 20 Apr 2007 13:48

Huntley & Palmer There were near riotous scenes when the screen went off at the stadium. ITV DigitaLOL
Then someone started cheering spontaniously and we all thought we'd scored :oops:

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 20 Apr 2007 14:00

What a day, and what a great birthday it was for me. Was at Brentford and then drove back to the Madejski to welcome back the players. Will never forget seeing John Mackie on the roof when the coach was coming up the road alongside B&Q. :lol: Eventually when it pulled in the majority of the team joined him on the roof for a good celebration and sing song for probably half an hour.

bassavage

by bassavage » 20 Apr 2007 18:09

Compo's Hat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmA6thXVYBQ&mode=related&search=

HAPPY DAYS

Didn't see where Cureton's ball landed as i was at the back but it didn't stop me going mental!!!!!

Look at the bit after Brentford scored - Hunt tries to jump on the goalscorer and falls over.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 20 Apr 2007 18:21

Skyline And surprised no-one's mentioned the 3-3 with Brizzol Shitty yet - 3-2 after 15 minutes in one of the most explosive starts to a game I can remember, then they got a (dodgy, natch) penalty early in the second half to even it up.

I was nearly dead 15 mins into that game. Utter carnage on the terraces.