Cheering Owen before kick off

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 01 May 2007 12:12

His comeback is great news for England.

But even more delighted that a forward line costing £250,000 out-gunned one that cost £26 million.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Cheering Owen before kick off

by Archie's penalty » 01 May 2007 12:16

Alan Partridge
SpaceCruiser
Jerry St Clair Was anyone else perplexed by the rapturous applause Owen got when his name was read out before kick off?

Call me old fashioned, but opposing players should only be given this sort of reception in exceptional circumstances (i.e. they are Phil Parkinson or have just won the World Cup).

Not for fair-to-middling, injury-prone forwards who've played no previous part in Reading FC history whatsoever.

Well, what did you expect from a crowd that drooled over Arsenal rather than support the Reading team.

:roll: at 4-0 game over, sometimes you just say well played to the opposition. The ONLY opposition that is to resoundingly beat us this season.

Watch out - Blackburn could still do it...

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 01 May 2007 12:18

Super Kevin Bremner! Since Owen started playing for England, I've been desperate for him to become our Country's highest ever goalscorer, because generations of players have come and go, but this will truly be a footballer from my generation and his record should he achieve it will last for another 50 years at least.

If the guy remains largely injury free for the next 4-5 years I have no doubt he'll become the most prolific striker our country has produced.

And you know what, when my Granchildren are talking about the next 'mediocre, over-rated' player to challenge his record, I'll be able to tell them how I saw Owen's career unfold from when he scored that wonder-goal against Argentina to when he scrambled the ball over the line against Liechtenstein to notch his 47th goal for England.

And the highlight might just be that I got to see his comeback from a nightmare injury and how lucky I was to be there (even if he was toilet on the night).

That's why I clapped him, he's a current England legend.

By the way El President, you oxf*rd faced little shit, I wish I was as experienced a football fan as you, maybe then I would be on this 'higher-plane' of intelligence which makes you able to suggest a 36-goal England stiker is crap.

Great post SKB, totally agree with what you've said.

And El President, you just got murked son.

el_presidente

by el_presidente » 01 May 2007 12:22

Super Kevin Bremner!
El President, you oxf*rd faced little shit,.

I'd like to have your babies you sweet talking devil

fool

by fool » 01 May 2007 12:31

Oi Oi Saveloy Oi Oi

Was anyone else perplexed by the rapturous applause Alan Ball got when his name was read out before kick off?

Call me old fashioned, but ex professional players should only be given this sort of reception in exceptional circumstances (i.e. they are Phil Parkinson or have just won the Simod Cup).

Not for fair-to-middling, injury-prone retired Midfieldsers who've played no previous part in Reading FC history whatsoever.

Totally agree, there's no place for such loon-icy!

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 01 May 2007 12:43

3 veesinarow
fridays child
Bucks Dave Believe it or not, there are Reading fans who 1) know something about football outside Reading; 2) don't look in contempt at every player not in a Reading shirt; and 3) can show generosity.

For the reasons H+P gave I applauded him.

Totally agree

Thirded.

No wonder everyone thinks we are a small-time club with small-time mentality with such narrow-minded, one-eyed, chip-on-each-shoulder views. Isn't the spirit of human nature something to behold? :roll:

Agree with you and Bucks Dave on both points.
Michael Owen is respected and liked by most English fans and on his first visit to our ground it was great to hear the admiration of many fans expressed by the applause.
BTW I also applauded a shot by Milner so please feel free to kill me at the next game for such treachury.

As for Alan Ball,why not applaud?
A player who contributed to our solitary world cup success and one who showed all the passion that some of you kids now demand from our England team and he has died at a relatively young age so is it a big deal to stop playing with the mobile phone or yourself and clap for a few seconds even if you didn't know him.
Rationing of clapping?
What a heartless bunch of morons some of you are.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 01 May 2007 12:47

BR2 As for Alan Ball,why not applaud?
A player who contributed to our solitary world cup success and one who showed all the passion that some of you kids now demand from our England team and he has died at a relatively young age so is it a big deal to stop playing with the mobile phone or yourself and clap for a few seconds even if you didn't know him.
Rationing of clapping?

I hear the sound of rushing wind...

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 01 May 2007 12:47

I clapped him. I decided in advance that I would regardless of whether I was the only Reading fan that did. Fortunately, most other fans were like-minded which says alot about this club and its fans because, despite what one poster said, I believe that many clubs would not have clapped Owen. I clapped him because of what he's gone through. To have not clapped him is mean-spirited and churlish (look it up). I try not to be that sort of person. I regard myself as a sportsman and try to adopt, on the whole, an old-fashioned British sporting approach, an approach that I accept is becoming less fashionable as the years roll on and as Britain becomes a more unpleasant country to live in. Still, you can't change others - I'll carry on with my approach to life, you carry on with yours.

Doyler

by Doyler » 01 May 2007 12:52

Man Friday I clapped him. I decided in advance that I would regardless of whether I was the only Reading fan that did. Fortunately, most other fans were like-minded which says alot about this club and its fans because, despite what one poster said, I believe that many clubs would not have clapped Owen. I clapped him because of what he's gone through. To have not clapped him is mean-spirited and churlish (look it up). I try not to be that sort of person. I regard myself as a sportsman and try to adopt, on the whole, an old-fashioned British sporting approach, an approach that I accept is becoming less fashionable as the years roll on and as Britain becomes a more unpleasant country to live in. Still, you can't change others - I'll carry on with my approach to life, you carry on with yours.
Well said, I salute you sir.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 01 May 2007 12:56

Man Friday I clapped him. I decided in advance that I would regardless of whether I was the only Reading fan that did. Fortunately, most other fans were like-minded which says alot about this club and its fans because, despite what one poster said, I believe that many clubs would not have clapped Owen. I clapped him because of what he's gone through. To have not clapped him is mean-spirited and churlish (look it up). I try not to be that sort of person. I regard myself as a sportsman and try to adopt, on the whole, an old-fashioned British sporting approach, an approach that I accept is becoming less fashionable as the years roll on and as Britain becomes a more unpleasant country to live in. Still, you can't change others - I'll carry on with my approach to life, you carry on with yours.

My hero.

fool

by fool » 01 May 2007 12:57

That Friday Feeling
BR2 As for Alan Ball,why not applaud?
Rationing of clapping?

I hear the sound of rushing wind...

BR2 - I think you missed the irony of this comment!

Don Finch

by Don Finch » 01 May 2007 13:01

Doyler
Well said, I salute you sir.

Nail head the hit on the.

He deserved applause, if only for '98 and Munich '01 - an England great and good to see him finish 95 minutes of football.

East Stand Royal 500

by East Stand Royal 500 » 01 May 2007 13:18

Likewise. When I clapped him on I didn't look around to see if anyone else in the East Stand applauded him. I was delighted though to see how many others didn't need prompting. He is an English icon and after what he's been through in the last year and more, it was great to see him back on the field. When he is on form he is a class act. I half-hoped that he would score a consolation goal (only after the game had been well and truly won).

We were fortunate that his spatial awareness improved (4 off-sides in the first 20 minutes and none that I remember after that) only after his energy levels started to wane. A fully-fit MO taking care not to stray offside would have run rings round our back four. Don't get me wrong - they worked their socks off last night (agree Shorey MotM and DLC, II and MD had some great moments) but you wouldn't put their names down for the 100 metres hurdles.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 May 2007 13:21

As an England fan/football supporter I was pleased to see Owen back (even more pleased that he didn't score!). He's a good player and seems a genuinely nice guy. For that reason I joined in the polite applause.

In the post match interviews both Shorey and Kitson said how pleased they were to see him back after such a bad injury. I think I also heard Sir Steve come out with one of his classics along the lines of that whilst Owen is a great player, his low centre of gravity means that he tends to fall over rather easily!
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 01 May 2007 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 01 May 2007 13:21

I didn't cheer him, but I don't hold a grudge against those that did as I can certainly understand it.

Disappointed that I was the only one in my block booing Emre :?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 01 May 2007 14:17

I was calling Emre a dirty, cheating, racist Turkish oxf*rd all game.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 May 2007 14:20

Huntley & Palmer I was calling Emre a dirty, cheating, racist Turkish oxf*rd all game.

i think we can all view his injury as a little bit of karma for the downes incedent

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 01 May 2007 14:23

Super Kevin Bremner! Since Owen started playing for England, I've been desperate for him to become our Country's highest ever goalscorer, because generations of players have come and go, but this will truly be a footballer from my generation and his record should he achieve it will last for another 50 years at least.

If the guy remains largely injury free for the next 4-5 years I have no doubt he'll become the most prolific striker our country has produced.

And you know what, when my Granchildren are talking about the next 'mediocre, over-rated' player to challenge his record, I'll be able to tell them how I saw Owen's career unfold from when he scored that wonder-goal against Argentina to when he scrambled the ball over the line against Liechtenstein to notch his 47th goal for England.

And the highlight might just be that I got to see his comeback from a nightmare injury and how lucky I was to be there (even if he was toilet on the night).

That's why I clapped him, he's a current England legend.

Spot on SKB, and he'll come back a stronger and fitter player.

Unmanageable Hair

by Unmanageable Hair » 01 May 2007 14:33

Royal With Cheese This was an exceptional case. An England player tragically injured for the guts of 2 years. Although I'm a Royal through and through it was good to see him back playing again.

TRAGICALLY?

Did he lose his job because he couldn't work? Was his house repossessed?

This was not an exceptional case: he's overrated and often injured.

What's more, he's English, which precludes him from being any good in international sport (rowers, darts players and sailors notwithstanding).

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 May 2007 14:56

Unmanageable Hair
Royal With Cheese This was an exceptional case. An England player tragically injured for the guts of 2 years. Although I'm a Royal through and through it was good to see him back playing again.

TRAGICALLY?

Did he lose his job because he couldn't work? Was his house repossessed?

This was not an exceptional case: he's overrated and often injured.

What's more, he's English, which precludes him from being any good in international sport (rowers, darts players and sailors notwithstanding).

Seriously please explain how a striker with his exceptional goalscoring record is overrated?