29/5/95

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 May 2007 22:14

The 17 Bus I cant see how anyone can "become a fan" I was born in Reading, they are my only team, always have been, except for the Seventies when as a teen I looked out for Leeds as well, tho most kids I knew had a top team as well as Reading.

I could not become a fan of any other team, regardless of where I lived.

The size of past crowds is no indication of number of supporters, when we were getting 4k in Div 4, there were still fans who had gone before, but stopped going for reasons that they thought were good enough, for special games they came along tho, even though they did not watch every home game.

So most of the new viewers used to be fans and now have decided that regular attendance is worthwhile, any that are there for Prem football though can sod off IMHO.

so you were conceived as a Reading fan then...

I struggle to see how anyone could change their allegiance once they've been bitten, or have multiple teams... That just isn't possible for the way I feel and I think many others do as well. But there has to be a beginning.
It's natural that the majority of those beginnings are going to be at points of success.

It's not when or how you start suppporting a club that matters, it's whether you stick by them through the hard times thats important. It's not how many games a season you go to. It's that you've been there at some of the best games and some of the worst games. At some of the mediocre games. That you've been there when you can, and you cared the whole time.

I've seen a handfull of games compared to many on here, but I've still been to some of the most horrific Royals performances and some of the best over the last 10 years. I've behind the team all the way even if I couldn't make a game. I may not have contributed as much financially as many, but I've invested plenty of my soul. I don't see how I'd be any less of a supporter than someone who's been to every game for the last 20 years, or someone who's been to 10 games over the last 5 years. Nor do I think I'm a better supporter than someone who has been to one game ever and taht was this season. That person may turn out to be a Loyal Royal for the next 80 years.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 30 May 2007 09:32

Ian Royal
The 17 Bus I cant see how anyone can "become a fan" I was born in Reading, they are my only team, always have been, except for the Seventies when as a teen I looked out for Leeds as well, tho most kids I knew had a top team as well as Reading.

I could not become a fan of any other team, regardless of where I lived.

The size of past crowds is no indication of number of supporters, when we were getting 4k in Div 4, there were still fans who had gone before, but stopped going for reasons that they thought were good enough, for special games they came along tho, even though they did not watch every home game.

So most of the new viewers used to be fans and now have decided that regular attendance is worthwhile, any that are there for Prem football though can sod off IMHO.

so you were conceived as a Reading fan then...

I struggle to see how anyone could change their allegiance once they've been bitten, or have multiple teams... That just isn't possible for the way I feel and I think many others do as well. But there has to be a beginning.
It's natural that the majority of those beginnings are going to be at points of success.

It's not when or how you start suppporting a club that matters, it's whether you stick by them through the hard times thats important. It's not how many games a season you go to. It's that you've been there at some of the best games and some of the worst games. At some of the mediocre games. That you've been there when you can, and you cared the whole time.

I've seen a handfull of games compared to many on here, but I've still been to some of the most horrific Royals performances and some of the best over the last 10 years. I've behind the team all the way even if I couldn't make a game. I may not have contributed as much financially as many, but I've invested plenty of my soul. I don't see how I'd be any less of a supporter than someone who's been to every game for the last 20 years, or someone who's been to 10 games over the last 5 years. Nor do I think I'm a better supporter than someone who has been to one game ever and taht was this season. That person may turn out to be a Loyal Royal for the next 80 years.

nice post

and no-one is born a reading fan
you become a plastic one, at some later date, and your plasticness wears off over time until you are totally hooked
many would do well to remember this when they moan about 14000 new pl;astics taking over the madejski when th eground is expanded

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 30 May 2007 09:58

I got so drunk that day that I collapsed at Norwich station on returning in the early hours and had to be carried out to a taxi by the missus and a mate.

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 30 May 2007 12:34

I watched the match, in New Zealand, with a Bolton fan. Needless to say one of us was happy at the end of the night, one not so.

I've been watching the goals again on YouTube and, it has to be said, Lee Nogan's opener has to go down as one of the best goals I've ever seen from a Reading player.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 30 May 2007 12:58

Flyingkiwi I watched the match, in New Zealand, with a Bolton fan. Needless to say one of us was happy at the end of the night, one not so.

I've been watching the goals again on YouTube and, it has to be said, Lee Nogan's opener has to go down as one of the best goals I've ever seen from a Reading player.

Robin Friday's goal was some way better than that.

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 30 May 2007 13:20

I said ONE of the best Norfolk!

I saw Mr Friday score several crackers but I don't seem to be able to find any of them on YouTube.

BTW. I've only ever seen the Simod Cup goals once. If anyone could load them on to YouTube you would make an ageing man really happy.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 30 May 2007 13:46

Flyingkiwi I said ONE of the best Norfolk!

I saw Mr Friday score several crackers but I don't seem to be able to find any of them on YouTube.

BTW. I've only ever seen the Simod Cup goals once. If anyone could load them on to YouTube you would make an ageing man really happy.

They are defo on youtube as I saw them not so long ago. Have a good dig around I'm sure you'll find them.

joe999

by joe999 » 30 May 2007 14:18

I was 4 at the time of that game... my dad went and I was at home watching on teletext... I doubt my mum will ever forget the moment when I ran upstairs going ...

"MUM!!!! SOMETHING TERRIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!!!!"
"WHAT! WHAT IS IT??"
"Bolton have scored..."

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 30 May 2007 14:21

Flyingkiwi BTW. I've only ever seen the Simod Cup goals once. If anyone could load them on to YouTube you would make an ageing man really happy.

Gilkes goal was the best out of the four. Disagree with me at your peril.

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 30 May 2007 14:30

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Flyingkiwi I said ONE of the best Norfolk!

They are defo on youtube as I saw them not so long ago. Have a good dig around I'm sure you'll find them.

Well bugger I down dead!!

Found em!

Cheers!

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 30 May 2007 15:45

brendywendy nice post

you become a plastic one, at some later date, and your plasticness wears off over time until you are totally hooked
many would do well to remember this when they moan about 14000 new pl;astics taking over the madejski when th eground is expanded

Not sure I agree here. I was taken to Elm Park in 1965, became hooked then scrimped saved and cajoled in every possible way to get back there again. Lots of other kids were in the same boat.

Even at my second or third match, i wouldn't have appreciated being called a 'plastic', especially as I would walk to and from Caversham to ensure that I had the entrance money.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 May 2007 15:48

bobby m's syrup
brendywendy nice post

Not sure I agree here. I was taken to Elm Park in 1965, became hooked then scrimped saved and cajoled in every possible way to get back there again. Lots of other kids were in the same boat.

Even at my second or third match, i wouldn't have appreciated being called a 'plastic', especially as I would walk to and from Caversham to ensure that I had the entrance money.

Maybe the idea of a plastic is how long it takes to take the wrapper off.

If you go to a game, get hooked, and it hurts like hell when they lose, then the wrapper is off pretty quickly. Even if you go to a number of games, until it means something then the plastic wrapper is still there. :idea:

ShrewsandRoyals

by ShrewsandRoyals » 30 May 2007 16:07

We were in an Olympic Gallery Box.

After the stadium was virtually empty I sat in the seats looking down and dreaming of what might have been. I had snuck away from the rest of our group to reflect.

Amongst all the cleaners a lone figure limped from the players end, boots in hand, and struggled to walk across the turf.

I stood and applauded - I could hear it echo around - and as he reached halfway to the hospitality entrance I called out "Well played Gilksey" and a hung head lifted - he'd never have spotted where I was.

As he walked away from the pitch I too turned and left, it seemed appropriate.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 30 May 2007 16:11

I'll continue to rage against the term 'plastic' 100% !

There are complete nutters (like Paul Black) who go to every game, never miss and would never consider missing one.

There are people who look for the results in the paper and never actually go to a game.

And there is everything in between.

Some people are regulars at one point in their life and then end up being armchair fans for whatever reason.

If they care enough to look for our results and feel good when we win then that's good enough for me.

I see no reason to label people as 'plastic' just because they don't support the club in the same way or to the same intensity as you think you do. (the generic 'you' there, rather than a swipe at any individual !)

hiro

Roar to Wembley, silence to Jason

by hiro » 30 May 2007 16:13

Knowing thousands people walking to Wembley, that heat touched many other resident of Reading - include myself.
I was watching the game in the Turks Head on London Road.
I felt Jason McAteer did seem so dangerous to us, and he made a difference through to the end.
Some months later, McAteer poped into the shop I worked at that time by chance, I did not reply to what he said at all, and only I and him in the shop, he had no choice but to leave.
I should act like gentleman in this country, but I did not do so then. Apology to Jason now, you were just too good in that match.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 30 May 2007 17:17

Behindu I'll continue to rage against the term 'plastic' 100% !

There are complete nutters (like Paul Black) who go to every game, never miss and would never consider missing one.

There are people who look for the results in the paper and never actually go to a game.

Some people are regulars at one point in their life and then end up being armchair fans for whatever reason.

If they care enough to look for our results and feel good when we win then that's good enough for me.

I see no reason to label people as 'plastic' just because they don't support the club in the same way or to the same intensity as you think you do. (the generic 'you' there, rather than a swipe at any individual !)

i hate the term plastic too
i was just using it so the plastic-users understood what i meant
what i meant was
people are born with no alliegence whatsoever, they become followers of reading, and slowly(or quickly)morph into a real fan as the club begins to mean more and more.
every fan has to start somewhere, so id quite like it if everyone stopped looking down on anyone cos they havent supported reading for 100 years, or havent gone to "enough"away/cup/reserve games
thats all

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 May 2007 17:20

Behindu I'll continue to rage against the term 'plastic' 100% !

Spot on. There are no plastics. Who are we to judge other people who are involved in some way with our football club. There will always be people who go that don't care as much as many of us. Yes it can be annoying that they don't care as much but still take up the space of others who might. But it is their right to be there. We are a community club and are there for the whole community. Kids, women, die hards and oxf*rd tossers who just want to see Liverpool or United.

Anyone who uses the term plastic and believes in it or uses it deliberately as a wind up ploy is just an idiot.

Daniella

by Daniella » 30 May 2007 17:28

The argument is NOT against people with light hearted interest in reading.

When I say plastics, its aimed at the people who want to see prem football only. No interest in the club, just like to see good players on the pitch and enjoy the big games like manchester united and chelsea.
They are not reading fans and never will be, they simply enjoy the occasion like they would a trip to the theatre.

I don't go to football for the ocassion or spectacle, thats why I laugh at people who pull the line " I spend good money each week to watch that rubbish", what a crock of shite. I go to see us hopefully win and because I love the club and its a drug, there is no enjoyable family occasion for me. There is no consolation in playing well and loosing IMO, im equally as pissed off with the defeat, or dissapointed. Not saying im a better fan than anyone else, im just saying that for me its more than just a game or a day out. However crap or great we are effects my mood for a long period afterwards as it does a lot of fans. Not sure you could say the same for a large portion of our fans.

I don't like the term plastic either for a record, so if you can find a better word to describe fans who go to the games who couldn't care if we lost or not, can someone post it.

Having people around me who don't care is like having a drug which has been cut with something cheap, it spoils the buzz.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 May 2007 17:30

Daniella The argument is NOT against people with light hearted interest in reading.

When I say plastics, its aimed at the people who want to see prem football only. No interest in the club, just like to see good players on the pitch and enjoy the big games like manchester united and chelsea.
They are not reading fans and never will be, they simply enjoy the occasion like they would a trip to the theatre.

I don't go to football for the ocassion or spectacle, thats why I laugh at people who pull the line " I spend good money each week to watch that rubbish", what a crock of shite. I go to see us hopefully win and because I love the club and its a drug, there is no enjoyable family occasion for me. There is no consolation in playing well and loosing IMO, im equally as pissed off with the defeat, or dissapointed. Not saying im a better fan than anyone else, im just saying that for me its more than just a game or a day out. However crap or great we are effects my mood for a long period afterwards as it does a lot of fans. Not sure you could say the same for a large portion of our fans.

I don't like the term plastic either for a record, so if you can find a better word to describe fans who go to the games who couldn't care if we lost or not, can someone post it.

Football fans, spectators.

Where does it say you have to be a supporter of one of the teams to watch a match. Get a life.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 30 May 2007 17:30

Daniella When I say plastics, its aimed at the people who want to see prem football only. No interest in the club, just like to see good players on the pitch and enjoy the big games like manchester united and chelsea.

The term for those sort of people used to be "fairweather fans"......