greatest moment at a reading game

Uncle Andy

by Uncle Andy » 22 Jun 2007 13:54

4-2 away to Chesterfield to keep us in Division 3 the season after we won the Simod Cup and were relegated.

0-2 at half time, then in the second half Super Trev, Lee Payne and 2 Stuart Beavon penalties kept us up !!!

Stayed up there for the night and went to Alton Towers on the Sunday - remember going around the log flume singing 'we are staying up' with my 3 mates that were with me.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 22 Jun 2007 13:56

Would Tommy Burn's last game count?

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 22 Jun 2007 14:33

Uncle Andy 4-2 away to Chesterfield to keep us in Division 3 the season after we won the Simod Cup and were relegated.

0-2 at half time, then in the second half Super Trev, Lee Payne and 2 Stuart Beavon penalties kept us up !!!

Stayed up there for the night and went to Alton Towers on the Sunday - remember going around the log flume singing 'we are staying up' with my 3 mates that were with me.

but you go "down" a log flume.

Reading FC a rollercoaster ride

Uncle Andy

by Uncle Andy » 22 Jun 2007 14:35

SWLR
Uncle Andy 4-2 away to Chesterfield to keep us in Division 3 the season after we won the Simod Cup and were relegated.

You have to go up first !!!

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 22 Jun 2007 15:19

Uncle Andy
SWLR

but on a rollercoaster to 'stay up' requires defeating the laws of gravity..... then again that probably does apply to that team

You have to go up first !!!

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 22 Jun 2007 16:21

The Norwich fan that fell what must have been 20ft down the steps in the South East corner.

I remember a bit of taunting in Y25, then we noticed this drunk chap kind of stumble, not regain his footing and he got faster and faster before he quite literally took off head first.

For the LOL ability, I'll through that in as it isn't a repeat of many other choices.

BLUES & ROYAL

by BLUES & ROYAL » 24 Jun 2007 19:56

Andy glad someone mentioned that stockport county away trip from 93/94.

i remember being blown away by our away support that evening - both the number and non stop vocals! great memories, i'll NEVER forget.

i've still got my match ticket, complete with incorrect date! (think it was re-arranged?)

unfortunately i also attended this game a few years later...

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/030398.html

basically the polar opposite. absolutely wretched in the pissing rain. if any of you went to that i'd be impressed! i was based in the NW for both so cheated i suppose.

That was a great night at Stockport, but for some reason I thought it was played on a Thursday night.

Leeds and Chelsea away in the cup (Chelsea also in the pissing rain), Newport away when we were breaking other records. That Wigan game at home and the Simod Cup final are probably among my fondest memories.

Worzel

by Worzel » 24 Jun 2007 20:48

The away games always stick out

Newport away 1985 (the history), or
Tranmere away leg of play off game (wonderful football), or
Walsall away under Burns after we hadn't won for months & I had had a shit day at work,
Fulham away years ago when Clive Walker missed a pen against us as we "flashed" him
Winning 2-0 at the Swine in the year we went down - last year at EP.
Ipswich away in the year we won the Championship

Agree with Gordon Cumming on the Oxford game when Colgan played in goal injured & we all called for a taxi.... because you knew that Bullivant couldn't survive that farce.

Home games?
Boro last year with the comeback,
Cov in Simod semi with that penalty shoot out
Aldershot 4-0 at home when we won the old Div 4 and John Alexander got all four
The Bloody Barnsley game a year later was the first home game I'd missed in two yeasr as I was in France and we went and won 7-0. Yes and Parkinson left early in the days when he actually supported Barnsley.
Beating Wolves in the old League Cup with a Pat Earles tap in - we were top of the 4th, they were bottom of the 1st.

As many have already said, there aren't too many clubs where fans could experience all this.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 24 Jun 2007 21:06

Question Mark Stoke at Home at Elm Park. Who's the fat bird in the white.
Her fella went mental!
:lol:

"Kunt like a bucket, she's got a kunt like a bucket"

Followed by mental boyfriend attempting a one man invasion of the Southbank.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 24 Jun 2007 21:08

I'd also like to mention the Barnsley fan who brought his dog with him and stood at the back of the Town End with it. Periodically taking it for walks around the terrace.

Maybe I dreamt that.

Joe 90

by Joe 90 » 24 Jun 2007 21:42

The 5 - 0 beating of Tranmere and Robin Friday hitting that goal.

Also beating Swindon 3-1 at Elm Park in the seventies. We out sung them, the team out played them, when all of a sudden the heavens opened and a cloudburst totally soaked their fans in the Town End. Totally hacked off, they trudged out of the ground before the end of the game to the sound of us laughing from the dry South Bank.

West Ham 6 - 0, could only have been better if Pardew had still been manager.

Playing Colchester in the seventies when Stuart Morgan kept hacking the great Percy Freeman. Freeman finally cracked and lifted Morgan by the head and threw him several feet away. You didn't mess with Big Perce!

Doyler

by Doyler » 24 Jun 2007 23:11

football related- fozzy's goal in the playoff semi v wigan

fan related-any time during the barracking of that one qpr fan who tried to take on 2500 of us at loftus road in the 2004/2005 season. 'Dirty Den, we thought you were dead!' :lol:

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 25 Jun 2007 07:56

Jerry St Clair
Her fella went mental!

ITFC

by ITFC » 25 Jun 2007 15:47

Jerry St Clair
Her fella went mental!

And fair play to him too.

straw

by straw » 25 Jun 2007 19:58

For me has to be November 2001 and Peterborough away. 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go and big Darius comes on and hits 2 goals in the last 10 right in front of our fans to send us absolutely f**king mental. And as a bonus was my first ever away game - PRICELESS.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 25 Jun 2007 20:40

Play Off Final v Bolton....best game I have ever seen. The best moment of that was when we won the pen. I remember thinking that if this went it we'd be up.......... :(

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 25 Jun 2007 20:43

woody61 Anyone remember the game against Sunderland (97?) at EP, when we won 4-0? I remember the southbank singing 4-nill to the blue and white, when one of the macham fans ran on to the pitch, grabbed the loose ball and kicked it into the Reading goal. Without missing a beat, the Southbank sang 4-1 to the blue and white... I think the fan managed to dodge the tangos too.
Good bunch of fans, and a good night in the Spread I seem to recall.

I forgot to metion this, but before this very game Kinglsey got into alot of bother at the corner of the Tilehurst end/Southbank (where we used to stand on the SB). A tango had to point out to him that he hadn't done his flies up and his nob was hanging out.....got a massive :lol: :lol: