Anyone no how new season ticket sales are going?

174 posts
Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 20 Jul 2007 10:02

Woodcote Royal
Schards#2 At five points, I would suggest the possibility that they won't sell out.

And I would suggest there's more chance of hell freezing over, even if it means them having to go to general sale, which I would not have expected.

Given that we were sold out for just about all of last season's league programme, with only members being allowed to purchase tickets, it really does beggar belief that anyone believes we will not sell the few remaining season tickets if they went to general sale at a club that must have one of the biggest, not to mention affluent, catchment areas in the country.

Even more staggering is the fact that such a long standing fan advocates not expanding the stadium when, and regardless of whether the last ST has already been sold, we will have just a few thousand tickets available to non STHs next season and no chance, yet again, for any promotions such as Kid for a Quid.

Is this a case of sheer stupidity or utter selfishness?

Do you not think sometimes it's better to simply admit you were wrong rather than simply blustering?

You said they would easily sell out yet they still have not despite anyone who has seen a single Reading home game in the last season being able to buy one. Are you serious suggesting there are hoardes of people who didn't see a single game last season desperate to but a season ticket? :lol:

The fact is that, after the most successful season in the club's history, one that may well never be bettered, demand for tickets has dropped significantly. This doesn't actually surprise me as i'm sure a good few bought because the premiership was such a novelty and, possibly, a once in a lifetime experience but now it no longer is.

If demand falls after finishing 8th, what would happen if we were 15th? or even relegated? The fact that, rightly or wrongly, we are not going to match the going rate for premiership fees/wages means that relegation is a realistic possibility in the coutrse of the next few years.

If that happens, I don't want to see the team playing in a 50% empty stadium saddled with the cost of an unneccesary expansion.

Quite how that opinion makes me either stupid or selfish is a complete mystery to me.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 20 Jul 2007 10:10

Schards#2 despite anyone who has seen a single Reading home game in the last season being able to buy one.

These type of supporters will probably continue to buy tickets on an ad hoc basis.

Season tickets are nearly sold out, and I still think we will easily sell out 90%, if not 100% of home tickets for our matches next season.

It really isn't a big issue, but it does gove the opportunity for two grown men to have another HNA argument I suppose. ;)

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 20 Jul 2007 10:20

Wycombe Royal
Schards#2 despite anyone who has seen a single Reading home game in the last season being able to buy one.

These type of supporters will probably continue to buy tickets on an ad hoc basis.

Season tickets are nearly sold out, and I still think we will easily sell out 90%, if not 100% of home tickets for our matches next season.

It really isn't a big issue, but it does gove the opportunity for two grown men to have another HNA argument I suppose. ;)

Quite, it would be nice to voice an honestly held opinion without being ridiculed and rubbished by the sorts who view anyone querying of any club policy as a heretic.

After 38 years as an active supporter it would also be nice to think there is another alternative to either slavishly agreeing with everything the club does and says, and 'f***ing off to support Oxford instead'

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 20 Jul 2007 10:43

Reading the above it just makes me glad that decisions on the club are made by people who have a clue about what they are doing rather than the likes of people on HNA !

That's not intended as a 'dig' at anyone, I include myself in the list of people who shouldn;t be put in charge of deciding the future of the club. But we are all prone to making such sweeping generalisations and simplifications that I doubt any of us are really competant to decide whether now is the right time to expand - because we simply don;t have access to the info.

To not expand would essentially mean giving up on the Premiership (and I understand that in some eyes that may not be a bad thing...)

We can't on the one hand demand the club spend huge sums on players and on the other criticise them for looking at every way of generating income.

We can also not criticise prices and scoff at moves to extend the number of people who can buy tickets.

Finally we should welcome moves to allow more people to attend games.

I would love to have Nigel Howe at a Fans Forum with an hour to talk us through in detail the strategic planning for the next 5 years, it might move some of the debate on HNA away from the pointless and simplistic to the informed and realistic. It would also be a great PR move by the club.

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 20 Jul 2007 10:45

heres to hoping it goes to general, my mum and nan wanna share one 8)

(no, theyre not plastics)

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Jul 2007 10:46

willz_royal heres to hoping it goes to general, my mum and nan wanna share one 8)

But that's ILLEGAL! :wink:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 20 Jul 2007 10:50

willz_royal heres to hoping it goes to general, my mum and nan wanna share one 8)

I don't think they'll all fit through the turnstile together.

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 20 Jul 2007 10:51

Royal Lady

But that's ILLEGAL! :wink:

hehe, well, mum would probably pass for an old hag RL

Royalphil

by Royalphil » 20 Jul 2007 11:15

Schards#2 The fact is that, after the most successful season in the club's history, one that may well never be bettered, demand for tickets has dropped significantly. This doesn't actually surprise me as i'm sure a good few bought because the premiership was such a novelty and, possibly, a once in a lifetime experience but now it no longer is.

If demand falls after finishing 8th, what would happen if we were 15th? or even relegated? The fact that, rightly or wrongly, we are not going to match the going rate for premiership fees/wages means that relegation is a realistic possibility in the coutrse of the next few years.

Totally agree with that (in bold); however, I am of the opinion that those of us that have bought our STs this year and those that will come on a match-by-match basis next season are the more regular supporters and although ST sales have dropped (although I do question the 'significantly') I do not think that there will be another similar drop; unless perhaps we do get relegated... but that ain't gonna happen!!! :)

playoffs or layoffs

by playoffs or layoffs » 20 Jul 2007 11:37

We all know that price is such a big factor, as has been demonstrated elsewhere in the Football League, and gate receipts make a smaller percentage contribution to Premier League revenues year-on-year.

Lets see a gradual increase in capacity, say one stand every couple of years (while in the prem), with a corresponding drop in season ticket prices at the same time.

If season tickets were eventually reduced to £350 rather than £550, I am sure we'd see a significant uptake, more families and kids, and overall ticket revenues would probably remain about the same, with a bigger fan base for the future.

Bring It On! :oops:

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 20 Jul 2007 11:42

Royalphil
Schards#2 The fact is that, after the most successful season in the club's history, one that may well never be bettered, demand for tickets has dropped significantly. This doesn't actually surprise me as i'm sure a good few bought because the premiership was such a novelty and, possibly, a once in a lifetime experience but now it no longer is.

Totally agree with that (in bold); however, I am of the opinion that those of us that have bought our STs this year and those that will come on a match-by-match basis next season are the more regular supporters and although ST sales have dropped (although I do question the 'significantly') I do not think that there will be another similar drop; unless perhaps we do get relegated... but that ain't gonna happen!!! :)

I said 'significantly' as it was once mooted that there was a huge waiting list for season tickets. Therefore, either the fall in demand has been significant or that was bullshit.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 20 Jul 2007 11:46

Schards#2 I said 'significantly' as it was once mooted that there was a huge waiting list for season tickets. Therefore, either the fall in demand has been significant or that was bullshit.

Someone (can't recall who) mentioned that there had been around 600 people last season who missed out on a ST. There had been no waiting list at any point because there were no ST to wait for, and this season's sales were to be based on points not a 'list'.
Talk of a 'waiting' list was therefore misleading.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Jul 2007 14:30

Schards#2
Woodcote Royal
Schards#2 At five points, I would suggest the possibility that they won't sell out.

And I would suggest there's more chance of hell freezing over, even if it means them having to go to general sale, which I would not have expected.

Given that we were sold out for just about all of last season's league programme, with only members being allowed to purchase tickets, it really does beggar belief that anyone believes we will not sell the few remaining season tickets if they went to general sale at a club that must have one of the biggest, not to mention affluent, catchment areas in the country.

Even more staggering is the fact that such a long standing fan advocates not expanding the stadium when, and regardless of whether the last ST has already been sold, we will have just a few thousand tickets available to non STHs next season and no chance, yet again, for any promotions such as Kid for a Quid.

Is this a case of sheer stupidity or utter selfishness?

Do you not think sometimes it's better to simply admit you were wrong rather than simply blustering?

You said they would easily sell out yet they still have not despite anyone who has seen a single Reading home game in the last season being able to buy one. Are you serious suggesting there are hoardes of people who didn't see a single game last season desperate to but a season ticket? :lol:

The fact is that, after the most successful season in the club's history, one that may well never be bettered, demand for tickets has dropped significantly. This doesn't actually surprise me as i'm sure a good few bought because the premiership was such a novelty and, possibly, a once in a lifetime experience but now it no longer is.

If that happens, I don't want to see the team playing in a 50% empty stadium saddled with the cost of an unneccesary expansion.

Quite how that opinion makes me either stupid or selfish is a complete mystery to me.

Thank for clearing that up....................................so it's utter stupidity.

Whilst I didn't think ST's would get to general sale (and they still haven't as far I'm aware) no one in their right man could possibly believe that the club will have the slightest problem in selling the last few ST's if and when they eventually go to general sale.

The fact that you honestly believe there were few fans last season, let alone non fans, in our massive catchment, who couldn't get tickets when we were sold out for almost the entire campaign, and that some of them would a like season ticket for the following season is astonishing.

Furthermore, it beggars belief that someone can so hopelessly under estimate the general demand for tickets because they seemingly dismiss thousands of people who, for the most part, have been ineligible to apply for tickets since the day we sold out our half season tickets the season before last, and...............................in the hope of tripping a switch somewhere :roll: I'd like to point out that these people can be drawn from large swathes of southern England.

So, with only half the South Stand available to Non ST's, for the 2nd campaign running, Shard's thinks we shouldn't expand the stadium and wants an apology from me if ST's go to general sale :P

Please keep this thread Mods :roll:
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 20 Jul 2007 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 20 Jul 2007 14:32

Those who have not renewed their STs will be regretting it after 20 minutes sat on the South Stand :roll:

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 20 Jul 2007 14:42

You get 5 points for obtaining a member card so the remaining season tickets have, effectively, been on general sale for two days now and anyone in the country who wants one could have one.

How are the queues Woodcote?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Jul 2007 14:49

Oh I see! You think everyone still has to stand outside in the rain to get their hands on a ticket..........................

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Jul 2007 15:00

So, the last few (mostly cr@p, down the front, get wet when it rains) seats have been down to 5pts since yesterday morning (would either of us buy one of those :? ) and the club hasn't updated sales info since last Sunday.............................

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 20 Jul 2007 15:05

Woodcote Royal So, the last few (mostly cr@p, down the front, get wet when it rains) seats have been down to 5pts since yesterday morning (would either of us buy one of those :? ) and the club hasn't updated sales info since last Sunday.............................

I got mine this morning. The spiel on the recorded message said there was 200 left. I managed to get my ticket exactly where I wanted it (and it wasnt in the rain)

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Jul 2007 15:16

Glad I don't have to think about you getting wet :P

So, 200 left..........................CANCEL THE BUILDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Jul 2007 15:27

200 left and 15,000 more up for grabs after the extension - I'm sure they'll sell like hot cakes then.

174 posts