A Chairman's a Chairman. End of
9%
Rich, and not as good as Shevchenko seems to think
4%

Total votes: 149
Shevchenko

Mr Madejski

by Shevchenko » 24 Jul 2007 00:48

This has probably been done before, but i'm interested to see what people think of our chairman. I think he's been great for the town and the club, but i wonder if others share my sentiments.

Royal Soupanoodle
Location: at the bottom of the Ocean called life, looking for a pearl of wisdom!

by Royal Soupanoodle » 24 Jul 2007 00:50

Isn't he due a lordship???

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 24 Jul 2007 01:48

Where would we be without him?

Genuine top bloke who not only loves this football club but loves the town itself.

For what he has done for Reading, the town and the football club, knighthood's have been given out for less!

JamesH

by JamesH » 24 Jul 2007 11:38

I met him the weekend before last.... genuinly nice friendly man who took the time out to have a quick chat! Dont have a bad word to say about him!

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 24 Jul 2007 11:40

Whenever I talk to my friend in Manchester about the subject of John Madejski, we always end up disagreeing. I keep saying that without John Madejski, we wouldn't be where we are now, but my friend keeps saying that he's got a big ego and why does he have to have the stadium named after him?

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 24 Jul 2007 11:45

SpaceCruiser I keep saying that without John Madejski, we wouldn't be where we are now, but my friend keeps saying that he's got a big ego

You're both right.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 24 Jul 2007 11:52

But why should his having a big ego stop anyone from recognising what he has done for Reading?

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 24 Jul 2007 11:58

It shouldn't, people get jealous when they see others being successful though. Ask yourself as well what you would think of him if he was chairman of a different football club; you would either think he's a pratt or you wouldn't care about him at all.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 24 Jul 2007 14:42

If I had all that money and a choice of women on my arm, I think my ego would be rather large too!

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 24 Jul 2007 20:37

Coppelled Streets If I had all that money and a choice of women on my arm, I think I'd date Cilla Black too!

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

by crossie » 24 Jul 2007 21:58

As much as i want to say that Shevchenko is just a stupid dreamer, I think Mr. Madejski is the nicest rich toff in the whole of southern England. Therefore, he should be made a Prince.

The Colonel

by The Colonel » 24 Jul 2007 22:22

He bought me a beer once...I won't hear a bad word said about him top bloke!

Seriously though, nobody made him bail out RFC and take them to the top. He's probably got enough money to get on the board of any club he wanted. So what if he wants to name the ground after himself. At least it says something about the place. It's better that calling your ground the Reebok Stadium or The Emirates Stadium. All that says about your stadium is that it is carrying heavy coporate sponsorship.

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 25 Jul 2007 15:54

Top bloke, done a top 'job' for the club and town. From keeping Reading afloat, to making sports Colleges (he practically funded one, right?) he's certainly put something back into the community.

This may be the case but, littles bits and bobs can ruin a mans genuity. He got the club groundsmen to put priority on his own lawn than the clubs pitch :? Is this true or was someone fibbing? (Someone wrote it out on here)

Other than that though, the bloke deserves any praise he has been given - in no way has he 'bankrolled' this club, only to the extent it needed so that it can be run successfully on it's own.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Jul 2007 16:01

You're right, but he's not done it all out of the kindness of his heart. His investment has, by my calculations, increased at least six fold in the time he's been here. It's also given him massive kudos and publicity, which, of course, he thrives on. Raisng his profile and influence like this has also been worth considerable sums to him as a businessman.

All credit to him for spotting the opportunity and making it work, but don't for a minute believe the publicity that say's he's done it for the people/town of Reading - he's done it to make money, directly and indirectly, and in that it's worked for him spectacularly well.

ArfnipIsARoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ArfnipIsARoyal » 25 Jul 2007 16:15

As said above, he done this to help himself aswell as the town. He has helped Reading to where they are today and given himself a bit of limelight. Well deserved in any case.

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 25 Jul 2007 16:28

Dirk Gently You're right, but he's not done it all out of the kindness of his heart. His investment has, by my calculations, increased at least six fold in the time he's been here. It's also given him massive kudos and publicity, which, of course, he thrives on. Raisng his profile and influence like this has also been worth considerable sums to him as a businessman.

All credit to him for spotting the opportunity and making it work, but don't for a minute believe the publicity that say's he's done it for the people/town of Reading - he's done it to make money, directly and indirectly, and in that it's worked for him spectacularly well.

Admittedly he has done it for himself overall, but really, to get to where he is now, he has pretty much done everything as an opportunity to improve the town at the same time as making money. He has also used that to continue his progress. I think we all know still, whatever his intentions, a very good business man who has helped this town and club alot.

EDIT: "This town" from someone who doesn't even live there :oops: :lol:

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 26 Jul 2007 01:11

Dirk Gently You're right, but he's not done it all out of the kindness of his heart. His investment has, by my calculations, increased at least six fold in the time he's been here. It's also given him massive kudos and publicity, which, of course, he thrives on. Raisng his profile and influence like this has also been worth considerable sums to him as a businessman.

Why do they have to be mutually exclusive?

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 26 Jul 2007 08:13

rabidbee

As you infer, they don't. I'd go as far as to say you'd need both factors to make things work as well as they have. Of course he's motivated by a personal desire to be wealthy but that's doubtlessly been helped infinitely by a genuine concern for both the club and town.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 26 Jul 2007 10:11

shadesrwrf
rabidbee

All credit to him for spotting the opportunity and making it work, but don't for a minute believe the publicity that says he's done it for the people/town of Reading - he's done it to make money, directly and indirectly, and in that it's worked for him spectacularly well.

As you infer, they don't. I'd go as far as to say you'd need both factors to make things work as well as they have. Of course he's motivated by a personal desire to be wealthy but that's doubtlessly been helped infinitely by a genuine concern for both the club and town.

99% of the time the can happily co-exist, but I think there inevitably comes a time when they do become incompatible - at some stage JM will inevitably have to make a decision where his financial self-interest will be at odds with what will be best for the club/community/supporters.

How he acts then will be the real test.

Also just making the point that his PR machine tends to overstate his reasons for buying the club, and also the amount of money he's actually put in, so the image presented of his motivation and contribution is often considerably over-stated when compared to the reality.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 27 Jul 2007 13:25

SpaceCruiser Whenever I talk to my friend in Manchester about the subject of John Madejski, we always end up disagreeing. I keep saying that without John Madejski, we wouldn't be where we are now, but my friend keeps saying that he's got a big ego and why does he have to have the stadium named after him?

Choose your friends better?