Hob Nob Subscriber

Match Preview Man. Utd (A) 12th Aug......and Predictions

by SpaceCruiser » 10 Aug 2007 10:56

The Match
Manchester United v Reading
FA Barclaycard Premiership
Sunday 12th August, 4pm kick off
Old Trafford

Reading travel up to Manchester for their first game of their second season in the top flight, looking to make a start on disproving all the talk of a so-called "Second Season Syndrome", but it looks to be a tough game for Reading against the Champions of England. Reading did well last season against Manchester United in 4 games and will be looking to do the same this Sunday, but not many Reading fans will be expecting anything but a defeat from this fixture.

Manchester United will be looking to make a start on retaining their Premiership trophy with 3 points on Sunday, having brought in a few players over the summer to strenghten their squad. Most notably Carlos Tevez, whose transfer from West Ham over the summer was in doubt due to all the arguments about who owned him and it was finally resolved in the past week. However, it doesn't look likely that Carlos Tevez will make a start against Reading this Sunday.

The Ref
It's going to be Rob Styles. Expect a few decisions in Manchester United's favour!!! The last Reading game he was in charge of was the FA Cup win over Burnley on 9th January 2007.

Last Season's final position
Manchester United ended up as Champions.
Reading finished 8th, 1 point short of qualifying for the UEFA Cup.

Manchester United's home record last season: P19 W15 D2 L2 F46 A12 GD +34 Pts 47
Reading's away record last season: P19 W5 D5 L9 F23 A27 GD -4 Pts 20

Man. Utd's top scorers last season
Cristano Ronaldo 17(league) + 6(Cups)
Wayne Rooney 14 + 9
Louis Saha 8 + 5

Latest squad news
Leroy Lita, England's top scorer at the summer Euro U21s tournament, suffered a freak injury this week when he woke up in bed and stretched, meaning that he won't feature in Reading's first few games this season. However, Reading still do have other strikers to rely on, most notably, Kevin Doyle and Dave Kitson. Reading's goalkeeper, Marcus Hahnemann, who suffered a hand injury at the end of season game at Edwood Park, looks more and more likely to take his place between the sticks at Old Trafford, now that Graham Stack has gone off to Wolves on loan. Bobby Convey seems to be fit and so probably will be in contention for a place in the squad.
Manchester United's Paul Scholes was in doubt as to whether he would be in contention for a place in the starting eleven for the game, but apparently came through Wednesday night's game at Glentoran. Cristano Ronaldo is a doubt for the game.

History

Despite what many Man Yoo fans may think, football started before 1992.... ;) The club was formed as Newton Heath L&YE F.C. in 1878 and they originally wore green and gold halves (you might remember that they had this as an away shirt in the mid 90's). They played on some field near what is now the Manchester Piccadilly train station for 15 years before moving to some place called Clayton. Then they entered the Football League and became Newton Heath FC. Then they started to have money problems and somewhere along the line they received some investment and became Manchester United. They dropped their traditional colours of green and gold and started wearing red and white kits.
Manchester United won their first league championship in 1908 and then they won the FA Cup the following season. Though, it wasn't until after the war that they started to become more successful when Matt Busby was appointed their manager and they won the European Cup for the first time in their history. After Busby was gone, Manchester United just wasn't the same, until the arrival of Alex Ferguson. However, Alex Ferguson was under pressure to deliver and nearly got the sack when he managed to win the FA Cup in 1990. That FA Cup win proved to be the platform for their success when they went on to win the European Cup Winners Cup the season after and then won the English Championship for the first time in 26 years. After that they dominated the English football scene for a decade and only last season did they win back the Premiership from Chelsea. Whether they will keep it this season remains to be seen......

Fans Views

I attempted to go onto http://www.ManUtdChat.com to canvass them for their opinions but after having registered on there, gave up waiting for my account to be activated, so went on http://www.redissue.co.uk and asked them for their opinions.

1. Firstly, what are your season expectations, do you think you can retain the championship and what are the chances of Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool in preventing you from retention?

- Win the double. Yes we can retain it. And no chance.-Legends7
- We can win it, but I never think we will -red red robbo
- Possibly, Chelsea might stop us, forget the vermin, they're no nearer than last year.-red crow
- Name on the trophy -thenorthwillriseagin
- Arsenal or Chelsea will be our closest challengers.-Gozza
- of course we can...but it won't be easy -tommo27
- Same as last year. Chelsea will push us hard as they dont loose many, Liverpool will be more consistent, but dont have enough in the tank, Arsenal have no chance. Looking forward to see how some of the other spenders will do (citeh, Newcastle, Spurs etc) -Tassive Mesticles
- I think we'll win it, but it's going to be close. Chelsea will push us all the way, Arsenal and Dippers further back.-Wes Montooth
- Hopefully retain the title and maybe do better in the CL, reach the final and win it would be nice. -LouderThanBombs
- That we keep playing the sort of football we played last season. Got as much a chance as last year, but honestly think any of the 4 could win it.-Tincanstretty
- I think it will be between us and Chelsea. I hope we play the same attacking football we did last year -platty14
- Think we can retain it, although I think Chelsea will win it.-K - Stand 89
- one of the champions league or premiership. arsenal and liverpool will flatter to decieve at first and then move away leaving us and chelsea to fight it out. too tight ot give a prediction up front. -sharath
-Our expectations are to defend our title and hopefully fair better in Europe and in the other domestic competitions, our showing in the FA Cup Final and the second leg of the Champions League Semi Final was poor.-Manchester Man

2. Who do you dislike more, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester City or Chelsea?

Most of them dislike Liverpool......

- Liverpool. Arsenal and Chelsea aren't even an itch I need to scratch.-red crow
- For the vast majority on here it will be Liverpool and its hatred. Citeh are just a laughing stock and other teams are only temporary rivals when challenging for honours -Tassive Mesticles
- Granny stabbing, bin dipping, dead Chicken mourning, Murderers. citeh and Chelsea don't count -Cernunnos
- City -Tincanstretty

3. What do you make of the Tevez transfer affair? Was the West Ham contract situation a bit dodgy? Are you pleased to have finally got him?

- It's a shambles, the league are a disgrace. As dodgy as Dogy McDodge on the dodgems in Dodge city. Yes and no, obviously I want us to have quality players, but I am uneasy at the amount of money being spent on them.-red red robbo
- Have we finally got him? If so, great. Yes, the dealings were dodgy as oxf*rd and we should have stayed clear, this just gives the FA more ammo to have a pop at United.-red crow
- It was/is a shambles. Well pleased to get him.-Gozza
- Good player who will fit in well. Contract at W.ham obviously dodgy.-Tassive Mesticles
- Very dodgy, they lied from the start, but happy to have him -Cernunnos
- Dodgy as oxf*rd. Glad we've (just about) got him though, class player.-Wes Mantooth
- The whole affair is a joke, i'm glad we got him but wish Kia Joorabchian was out of the picture.-LouderThanBombs
- Typically inept on the part of the FA/PL. They knew the score with Jooarbchian (sp?) when West Ham brought Tevez & Mascherano into the country and they should have sorted it out then.Instead Mascherano's move to the scouse went nice and smoothly whereas Tevez to us has been a oxf*rd circus. Can't wait to see the ugly oxf*rd play.-Tincanstretty
- Pleased to have got him, how anybody can believe West Ham really owned him is beyond me. One huge cover up to protect The Premier League and Trevor Brookings little darlings.-K - Stand 89
- It showed that West Ham never owned him in the first place and my heart goes out to Sheffield United, we're glad to have signed him as he is a United fan and will link up well with Rooney up front -Manchester Man

4. Which of your players do you consider to be the best out of your bunch?

- Ronaldo quite obviously.-Legends7
- Hard to see beyond Ronaldo and Rooney, although Giggs and Scholes get a mention for outstanding contribution.-red red robbo
- Ronaldo, Rooney and Vidic.-red crow
- Scholes, Ronaldo -Gozza
- team sport-but for entertainment, it's gotta be ronnie -tommo27
- avoiding the obvious, Scholes & Neville & Giggs are legends, Evra and Vidic very good footballers.-Tassive Mesticles
- Ronaldo and Scholes -Cernunnos
- Scholes, Rooney, Vidic, Neville, Dong -Wes Mantooth
- Scholes is still our best player, but Rooney is the one I hope and still expect to be the best. Hargreaves could be most important for us though when it comes to crunch games against the top teams, here and in Europe.-Tincanstretty
- scholes for me. Ronnie was brilliant last season and still expect great things from Rooney -platty14
- Without question Ronaldo, the lad was our heartbeat last season and it's his attacking flair that dictates the tempo which we play at -Manchester Man

5. Moving on, what do you know of Reading? Any Reading players you will be keeping an eye out for?

- Kevin Doyle. -Legends7
- My Grandads team. He would have loved to see them in the prem, I gutted he didn't live to see it. That Leroy Llita sounds like a bit of a lad :mrgreen: -red red robbo
- It's where Chelsea's support comes from; That snide who booted Cech in the head.-red crow
- Steve Coppel -thenorthwillriseagain
- they taught me reading at school ;) last season the supporters to the right of us were oxf*rd idiot-happy clapping spastics eho shut the oxf*rd up outside the ground. stevie coppell :) -tommo27
- Lita, Doyle, quite like the Korean fella and I've got Ingamarsson as a cheapy in my fantasy team ! -Tassive Mesticles
- Lita, Doyle and Seol all look pretty good.-Wes Mantooth
- Shorey, Lita are good players and Coppell was my hero when I was a kid.-LouderThanBombs
- That John Madjeski must have his head up his arse to name the stadium after himself.
The obvious ones really, Lita and Doyle upfront. Lita's a handful although looks a bit oxf*rd tapped and Doyle was a smart buy.-Tincanstretty
- Reading has always been key to man's learning, progression and bettering himself -rioja
- Steve Coppell is a legend. Kevin Doyle I think could be a really classy player in a bigger team with better service -K - Stand 89
- Not too much; Doyle, Shorey and lita -sharath
- I went to the Madejski last season for the league game and I was impressed with both the team and the fans, you gave us a blooy nose that day and of course Coppell is a red legend -Manchester Man

6. How do you think Reading will do this season, do you believe the "second season syndrome" malarkey?

- Bottom half of the table.-Legends7
- possible champions -the hairy slug
- You've let some good players go so could struggle. Top of the bottom I reckon.-red red robbo
- I do. 13th-16th for you, I'm afraid.-red crow
- Youll stay up -thenorthwillriseagain
- I think you'll be in the mix at the bottom all season you will do well if you stay up.-Gozza
- yes i do and think you will struggle especially as a lot of clubs have added some good players to their squads...even city :shock: -tommo27
- mid table. too much dross for you to go down. I'd be worried about loosing Sidwell and possibly Shorey ??-Tassive Mesticles
- lower mid table finish -Cernunnos
- They'll be safely in mid-table, I imagine.-Wes Mantooth
- Think there is something in the 'second season syndrome', if only for the fact that other teams will know not to underestimate you, that's not to take anything away from your performances last year -LouderThanBombs
- I think you'll do ok, but I imagine you might miss Sidwell. Yeah think the second season syndrome has a bit behind it as teams are that bit more used to playing you, but Coppell is top notch, seems to get it right tactically (whether that be general tactics or your set pieces, etc) and I can see you finishing midtable ish which would be a great accomplishment. -Tincanstretty
- bottom half -platty14
- Will stay up easily but will come no where near last season.-K - Stand 89
- A bit too tough to finish om top 10 -sharath
- I think you'll push on, I like Reading and they have some good players and play a good game of football, their not afraid to have a go and have good place up front with Lita and Doyle -Manchester Man

7. Did you enjoy the 4 games against us last season, which was the most entertaining for you?

- FA cup replay. -Legends7
- the best games of all last season -the hairy slug
- No not really :shock: -red red robbo
- Didn't rate any of em. -Gozza
- First 5 mins of the cup game at yours. -red crow
- League at youre place -thenorthwillriseagain
- Cup replay. the rest dont really stand out. You did well in the first PL game.-Tassive Mesticles
- The Cup game at your place...-Wes Mantooth
- Thought the cup game at your place was the most entertaining, typical United to storm into a 3 goal lead tne nearly end up losing it, if you'd have equalised we'd have been in big trouble -LouderThanBombs
- Yeah they were good, enjoyed the cup replay at your place the most. Our amazing start and then you lot slowly getting back into the game culminating in Lita pegging it back to 3-2 with 5 mins or so left.-Tincanstretty-
- cup game, first 5 mins and ronaldo goal at your place -platty14
- The middle one -rioja
- The first 6 minutes of the replay.-K - Stand 89
- The most entertaining was the FA Cup replay at the Madjeski which was simply outrageous, three up in 5 minutes and then we conceeded two poor goals, was a nailbiting contest!-Manchester Man

8. The most expensive ticket for a Reading fan to pay for a ticket to the game at your ground is £47. Do you think this is over-priced or reasonable?

- All football tickets are overpriced.-Legends7
- cheap -the hairy slug
- It's a rip-off -red red robbo
- Terrible, a oxf*rd rip off. You should Boycott, seriously. -red crow
- Boycott -thenorthwillriseagain
- its a oxf*rd joke, no wonder more and more and becoming disillusioned -tommo27
- Its a oxf*rd joke, but sadly the same everywhere.-Tassive Mesticles
- 47 quid. Outragous -Cernunnos
- It's extortionate. Just like everywhere else, unfortunately.-Wes Mantooth
- It's over priced, like more or less every ground is, including ours these days.-LouderThanBombs
- err it's a rip off just like every ground.-Tincanstretty
- i wouldn't pay that! oxf*rd joke -platty14
- why discuss the most expensive?-rioja
- All tickets at all grounds are over priced rip offs.-Cernunnos
- In Manchester that would be considered expensive, but under the Glazer regime our prices are going that way, it's pricing a lot of Mancunians out of the game (despite what many people believe Manchester is red and we do have a lot of local support!) -Manchester Man

9. Do you watch Big Brother?

- YOU'RE BANNED! -Quite a few posters!
- Yes. I'm a 14 year old girl -rioja
- shut up -Tincanstretty
- Do i oxf*rd.-Legends7
- ive took 11 weeks off to watch it -the hairy slug
- The Mrs does, so that's a yes then :( -red red robbo
- Get to fook -Cernunnos
- yes ! but not enjoying this years bunch that much -Tassive Mesticles

10. *DAFT QUESTION ALERT* I once drove to Manchester from Reading town centre in 5 minutes. How did I do that?

- Dont lie to me.Legends7
- Youre a rocket ship pilot or used to fly a concorde -thenorthwillriseagain
- To idle to spend time thinking about it.-Gozza
- thought question 9 was daft...'kin hell -tommo27
- Err... quickly? -Wes Mantooth
- My guess is that there's a bar/restaurant/shop called, or with a name relating to, Manchester.-It's a super header!
- Manchester is the name of your smack dealer....you must chase the dragon on a regular basis if you thought that you would get any sensible answers here ;) -MUFC Cheadle Founders
- you were in manchester and read a sign that said town centre? -arfapint
- You managed to bend time and space Hiro Hob Nob -Tincanstretty
- Correct. Daft Question!-platty14
- Very fast -rioja
- :| Easy on the drugs there pal. -K - Stand 89

Some of you on Hob Nob might remember that I posted something like this in AE and I gave the answer as "I was driving to Manchester Road in Reading....." I know, a shit trick question.

11. For the visiting Reading fan, what pubs around Old Trafford would you recommend and which should be avoided?

- Don't avoid any, nothing will happen. Try the Bishops Blaze MUHAHAHA.-Legends7
- bishops blaize. pete boyle is our hero you'll love him -the hairy slug
- I probably live further south than you so I couldn't tell you :mrgreen: -red red robbo
- Behave yourselves and you'll be fine in any of them.-red crow
- The Blaize, The Gorse or The Trafford avoid none -thenorthwillriseagain
- Dont go in any mob handed. -Gozza
- you're best staying in town, getting a tram and then arriving in time to get all your photo's taken :? -tommo27
- I dont think many Utd hoolies will be mobbing up to get at the Reading boys. Dont act like a dick and you'll be fine. Head into town and get a tram to the ground or if the weathers good, try Salford Quays -Tassive Mesticles
- pretty much all will be fine -Cernunnos
- Have a drink in the city centre, then get the tram out to the ground. -Wes Mantooth
- The Quadrant pub behind Old Trafford Cricket Ground often has a table or two of away fans and it is generally a relaxed pub in which to have a pre-match pint.-E Stand Benches
- I would have a drink in Manchester City Centre or maybe Salford Quays, you should be fine in most pubs.-LouderThanBombs
- The Fantasy Bar, Deansgate. Ask for Viv -rioja
- Should be ok in all the pubs but i'd have a few in city centre then tram or taxi to ground -platty14
- The obvious ones near the ground are pretty shit to be honest unless you don't mind being rammed in and waiting forever for a oxf*rd pint. You're far better off having a drink in town and then getting the tram or a taxi to the ground.-Tincanstretty
- Avoid the Bishops Blaize (Massive United pub where our vocal support get pissed and sing) I recommend Whetherspoons or Picaddilly Tavern in the city centre, friendly atmosphere and the dibble are on sight so no trouble!-Manchester Man

12. Finally, what do you think the score will be? Presumably you think you'll thrash us?

- 4-1 -Legends7
- hopefully a nice 0-0 -the hairy slug
- It'll be tight, but we'll edge it by a single goal.-red red robbo
- I'd like to thrash you, nothing personal, I'd like us to thrash everyone this season, but I'd be happy with 1-0.-red crow
- 9-0 -thenorthwillriseagain
- Any win will do. 2-0 IMO -Gozza
- We'll win by a couple, unless Fergie has a brainstorm with his team selection, of course...-Wes Mantooth
- as long as we win - stylishly -Cernunnos
- Utd to win by a couple -Tassive Mesticles
- do you know the lottery numbers for saturday...oxf*rd knows mate.-tommo27
- United got off to a flyer last season and they'll be wanting to do it again, Lita being out is a big blow for you, 3-1 imo -LouderThanBombs
- 1-0 United Old Trafford 1-2 United at your place. -K - Stand 89
- 8-4 -rioja
- 2-0 -platty14
- Depends what team we put out, but going off us playing our strongest team available (that's with no injuries occuring in tonights friendlies) then I'll go for 2-1. -Tincanstretty
- 3-1 -sharath
- I'm going for 3-1, Rooney (x2) and Giggs with Doyle scoring for you guys -Manchester Man

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Aug 2007 11:04

Those are some of the most stupid questions ever :lol: :lol: No wonder you took a slaughtering

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Match Preview Man. Utd (A) 12th Aug......and Predictions

by RobRoyal » 10 Aug 2007 11:13

Stand 89

Kevin Doyle I think could be a really classy player in a bigger team with better service

That's funny, according to Alex Fergusson Doyle is playing for "the best crossers of the ball in the Premiership."

Man U and Chelsea fans really are a bunch of d*cks aren't they?

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 10 Aug 2007 11:15

Nice one spacey

A lot of work went into that.

Will you be doing such an indepth post on each game? :wink:

Prediction:

2-3 We go down 2-0 in the 1st 22 mins, it's 2-2 at half time and Murt's scores the winner in injury time, added on 'cause Fergie got sent off for complaining.
Last edited by No Hoops on 10 Aug 2007 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 10 Aug 2007 11:17

No Hoops Nice one spacey

A lot of work went into that.

Will you be doing such an indepth post on each game? :wink:

Nope. ;)

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 10 Aug 2007 13:11

Good work Spacey,shame that you spoiled it a bit by the Big Brother and Manchester Road questions.
It would be interesting how the rest of the Premiership clubs perceive us and I would suggest that investigating the views of the other clubs would raise your standing with Hobnobbers and would be a better use of your time than most of your pedantic posts.

I would suggest that out of the top 4 the fans of Arsenal and Liverpool would be of the "Can we play you every week" category whereas Chelsea fans might be "oh no not Reading this week"
Outside of the top 4 West Ham and City fans might be saying "It won't be an easy 6 points this season" and Pompey fans "At least that's 3 points we can rely on from the Fratton fixture".
Sunderland " We'll enjoy the craic with so many Irish elements for both teams"
Blackburn "There should be a few goals".
Derby "We didn't mean it when we came on all big-time"

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 10 Aug 2007 13:39

Good preview but FFS:

"10. *DAFT QUESTION ALERT* I once drove to Manchester from Reading town centre in 5 minutes. How did I do that?"

Oi. Spacey. NO.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 10 Aug 2007 14:03

10. *DAFT QUESTION ALERT* I once drove to Manchester from Reading town centre in 5 minutes. How did I do that?

- Easy on the drugs there pal. -K - Stand 89

:lol:

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 10 Aug 2007 14:20

Skin Good preview but FFS:

"10. *DAFT QUESTION ALERT* I once drove to Manchester from Reading town centre in 5 minutes. How did I do that?"

Oi. Spacey. NO.

Yes, sorry, I was trying to elicit some amusing replies. ;)

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 10 Aug 2007 15:23

Cheeky 2-1 Reading

Doyle, Kitson for Reading

Ronny for Manure

RG6

by RG6 » 10 Aug 2007 23:20

Spacey, Far to much info to read when you've had 2 bottles of red wine, but well done all the same.

I had a dream last night that we would win so Manu 1 - 2 Reading Doyle to score the winner!!

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 11 Aug 2007 00:05

last season the supporters to the right of us were oxf*rd idiot-happy clapping spastics

Sounds about right :lol:

4-0 United :(

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Aug 2007 00:29

Farnborough Royal 4-0 United :(

Good job you aren't going then.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Aug 2007 00:52

Huntley & Palmer Those are some of the most stupid questions ever :lol: :lol: No wonder you took a slaughtering

Wrong.

Well done Spacey. Not what I'd expect from you. Impressed!

Chillitsphil

by Chillitsphil » 11 Aug 2007 01:02

None of them have ever been to old trafford probably.

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 11 Aug 2007 01:16

floyd__streete
Farnborough Royal 4-0 United :(

Good job you aren't going then.

I am going.

Mr Loyal Royal

by Mr Loyal Royal » 11 Aug 2007 20:11

2 nil United
Wouldn't be too downhearted with that result.

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 11 Aug 2007 21:31

It feels like christmas eve!

i cant be the only one?

waiting so long and then to start of in the best stadium in the country, against one of the best teams in the world

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 12 Aug 2007 10:38

3-0 United.

Rooney (2), Ronaldo.

Hope I'm bloody wrong.

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:.

by .:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. » 12 Aug 2007 10:48

ManU- 0 Reading- 2

COME ON YOU ROYALS!!!!!!! :!:

214 posts