Match Preview Man. Utd (A) 12th Aug......and Predictions

214 posts
urz_1871

by urz_1871 » 12 Aug 2007 18:08

cmonurz Some of you lot need to get over this 'little club' outlook and look at the fact that for the second season in a row we have been completely and utterly outclassed by Manchester United. Sure, we would expect to lose, but wasn't it 2 attempts on goal last season (in the 1-1 draw)?

Shots on goal today was 21 to 3 in United's favour. We posed no threat whatsoever, now have only 1 striker available of suitable quality, and Chelsea and Everton in the next 7 days.

Predictable whinging about the referee, who did nothing wrong.

0-0 is a great result, but a freak result. Play like that for the rest of the season and we will go down.

Although i understand what your saying or getting at, the simple thing at the end of the day is we won't be playing that way week in week out.

We are supposed to be outclassed by United, they are the Champions and have spent £60 mill in the summer. We are never going to be able to spend that money so what more do you expect?

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 12 Aug 2007 18:09

Yorkshire Royal Chaney.. this will come as a shock.. but totally agree with you...

cheers

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 12 Aug 2007 18:09

Daniella, the laws clearly state that the referee has discretion in determining whether 'serious foul play' has occurred. It wasn't a clear red card by any means, but it was late and reckless, and Kitson can have no complaints.

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 12 Aug 2007 18:09

0 0. Sorry but i'm absolutely amazed with this result (not just because of no football for 3 months or so).

The sending off - obvious talking point, possibly with my RTGs - I don't think was. The ball was pretty much exactly where Evras foot was, so he goes in, sprinting, so can't pull out, and goes into his foot. Yellow card IMO. Late but genuine attempt for the ball.

The tactics. Look, give up for having it in for "this isn't the way Reading play" I seem to remember at Chelsea as 4 5 1. I seem to remember 4 5 1 at Man Utd last season, twice? Pathetic attempts. Not attacking? Against Manchester United? An EXTREMELY punishing team who scored MANY against teams last season? Shut up. TBH I wouldn't want Reading to attack, have an exciting game because United win 6 3 and then end up having a de-moralised defence for the rest of the season.

Great match, exciting, possibly for the wrong reasons, but lets see how the rest of the season goes. It will NOT be like that for the rest of the season. Idiots.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 12 Aug 2007 18:10

Daniella cmonurz agree with much of that apart from the ref, he was crap. It was a one footed lunge from kitson, from the side. By the laws of the game that is not a red card, end of disucssion, the referee was wrong.

I'd have to agree. Hell, even the United fan in the pub agreed.

That happens once a game, full back clears and the striker's late. Pretty much a yellow, but a red? Reckless, yes. Serious foul play? Question of opinion.

Free kick at the end was indeed a joke. There were a few others but I'd willingly put that down to changes in concentration, Man U going for it.

As for the performance - we will not line up like that and play like that every week. It was a fantastically well organised performance and to do it, we needed to remove most of our attacking options. Chelsea will be much the same. Everton, less so.

In terms of belief, spirit, tenacity, it was faultless.

g

by g » 12 Aug 2007 18:11

One thing I am particularly amazed about is tactics we used. Usually you see matches like that week in and out. Remember Wigan V Arsenal last season? It never works in the end, and you usually lose. To see us actually nick a point from that is amazing. I am so proud I am crying. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 12 Aug 2007 18:12

Calm down Chaney you maniac, I am just voicing my opinion. Two differing performances today by under-dogs. Birmingham at Chelsea and Reading at United. Yes we got a point, but only the deluded would claim it to be anything but lucky. We didn't get what we deserved at all - United were off the boil and we got away with it.

As for 'we won't play like that every week' - that it of course true. Or at least would be if we had some striking options on the books.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 12 Aug 2007 18:15

The, admittedly quite nice, United fan next to me was complaining that we weren't trying to do anything when we got the ball.

And how many goals did United put past Fulham this time last season?

g

by g » 12 Aug 2007 18:15

You make your own luck. United were poor in attacking, we were strong in defending. We earned the result.

The ref wasn't biased at all. Ok, he tried several times to give them those free kicks in positions they like. But how many times did he save us at corners, and also on that corner shorey earned in the dying minutes. To say he completely favoured United over us is ridiculous. He is just a bad overall ref.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 12 Aug 2007 18:16

cmonurz Calm down Chaney you maniac, I am just voicing my opinion. Two differing performances today by under-dogs. Birmingham at Chelsea and Reading at United. Yes we got a point, but only the deluded would claim it to be anything but lucky. We didn't get what we deserved at all - United were off the boil and we got away with it.

As for 'we won't play like that every week' - that it of course true. Or at least would be if we had some striking options on the books.

where in my post did I say we weren`t lucky?
and meet me on Wednesday and call me a maniac to my face

Daniella

by Daniella » 12 Aug 2007 18:16

Chaney
cmonurz Calm down Chaney you maniac, I am just voicing my opinion. Two differing performances today by under-dogs. Birmingham at Chelsea and Reading at United. Yes we got a point, but only the deluded would claim it to be anything but lucky. We didn't get what we deserved at all - United were off the boil and we got away with it.

:lol:

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 12 Aug 2007 18:17

Chaney

Calm down you fcukwit, it's an internet messageboard ffs. :lol:

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 12 Aug 2007 18:17

g You make your own luck. United were poor in attacking, we were strong in defending. We earned the result.

The ref wasn't biased at all. Ok, he tried several times to give them those free kicks in positions they like. But how many times did he save us at corners, and also on that corner shorey earned in the dying minutes. To say he completely favoured United over us is ridiculous. He is just a bad overall ref.

What was wrong with it?

Oh, other than Shorey wandering off then wandering back again.

g

by g » 12 Aug 2007 18:18

papereyes
g You make your own luck. United were poor in attacking, we were strong in defending. We earned the result.

What was wrong with it?

I thought the lino flagged for a goal kick? Styles overruled him.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 12 Aug 2007 18:19

g
papereyes

What was wrong with it?

I thought it was a corner. Came off the defender.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 12 Aug 2007 18:19

cmonurz
Chaney

yes and that makes it ok to throw abuse?

A1ndy

by A1ndy » 12 Aug 2007 18:19

Chaney
cmonurz Some of you lot need to get over this 'little club' outlook and look at the fact that for the second season in a row we have been completely and utterly outclassed by Manchester United. Sure, we would expect to lose, but wasn't it 2 attempts on goal last season (in the 1-1 draw)?

Shots on goal today was 21 to 3 in United's favour. We posed no threat whatsoever, now have only 1 striker available of suitable quality, and Chelsea and Everton in the next 7 days.

Predictable whinging about the referee, who did nothing wrong.

0-0 is a great result, but a freak result. Play like that for the rest of the season and we will go down.

ok lets go there with 3 forwards and get beaten 5-0, got outclassed?
what the f*ck do you expect???

only 1 striker available of suitable quality, and Chelsea and Everton in the next 7 days. - Totally disagree with you on this one, Shane Long showed last season and throughout pre season that he can score goals. Himself and Doyle will be very effective against chelsea, Everton.

Although todays performance wasnt pretty, it shows we can defend and keep 100% concerntration throughout which is something were going to need this season.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 12 Aug 2007 18:20

Chaney
cmonurz
Chaney

yes and that makes it ok to throw abuse?

Yes. You maniac.

g

by g » 12 Aug 2007 18:20

papereyes
g
papereyes

What was wrong with it?

Which one?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 12 Aug 2007 18:21

g
papereyes
g
papereyes

What was wrong with it?

Which one?

The one covering him. He took it into the corner and it pinged off the defender.

What Styles should have pulled him up for was fecking off before remembering "Oh yeah, I take the corners"

Clever play with Oster, btw. That would have been a special goal.

214 posts