Match Preview Man. Utd (A) 12th Aug......and Predictions

214 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Aug 2007 11:11

Garry Mann
Stranded We designed a tactical system that you failed to effectively breakdown and got a point.

:lol:

Some days the ball just won't go in the net, yesterday was one of those days. You were outclassed, out played, out performed in every department. To try and convince yourself the point was as a result of any tactics rather than luck is laughable

If you say so.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Aug 2007 11:12

I think 10 men behind the ball was quite a tactical move actually. I agree with Papereyes. We won't play that formation against Everton certainly and possibly not for Chelsea either. You're just cross you didn't beat us.
The Mancs got a murking. :wink:

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 13 Aug 2007 11:13

Garry Mann Mine's a bitter...very bitter. Take me hoooome country rooooad

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 13 Aug 2007 11:13

Dont agree GM. Certainly not outclassed in the art of defending.

Reading set themselves out not to concede a goal - and it worked. Job done - fantastic result and I for one thought it was a fantastic performance.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Aug 2007 11:13

Garry Mann
Royal Lady The harsh reality for you Mr Mann is that you failed to score against a frankly, quite lacklustre Reading performance. That says more about the "great" Sir Alex and his players than it does about us.

It says much more about how lucky you were. If you think any different you are deluded.

I can understand you being happy with a point, but I'd be much more concerned about that performance.

gary mann=bitter manc

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 13 Aug 2007 11:16

MOTD2 couldn't praise us enough for effective the man to man marking.
That's what we set out to do, that's what we did.

It worked. We wanted a point, Man U wanted 3.

Tactically we won the game by getting our point.

Nice.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 13 Aug 2007 11:17

Royal Lady I think 10 men behind the ball was quite a tactical move actually. I agree with Papereyes. We won't play that formation against Everton certainly and possibly not for Chelsea either. You're just cross you didn't beat us.
The Mancs got a murking. :wink:

But it wasn't just ten behind the ball and pray though. Murty and Shorey had a very specific defensive job. Which they did. Ronaldo didn't have as much joy as he could have done. Likewise Giggs. Likewise Duberry on Rooney.

if it was, he'd have a valid point and I'd agree with him.

Garry Mann

by Garry Mann » 13 Aug 2007 11:18

It's obviously differing views, United forums slating you and can't believe your luck while you all seem to think the plan to defend, and only let us have 23 shots, worked quite well. That's a shot every 4 minutes so I guess your defending was actually quite good.

Anyhow, at least it was only a handful of Reading fans that turned up to watch that bag of shite.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Aug 2007 11:19

Yes. I know. I was there. I thought Gazza was on about the fact that we defended for most of the game.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 13 Aug 2007 11:20

Garry Mann It's obviously differing views, United forums slating you and can't believe your luck while you all seem to think the plan to defend, and only let us have 23 shots, worked quite well. That's a shot every 4 minutes so I guess your defending was actually quite good.

Anyhow, at least it was only a handful of Reading fans that turned up to watch that bag of shite.

keep going.

Garry Mann

by Garry Mann » 13 Aug 2007 11:20

papereyes Likewise Duberry on Rooney.

Allow him a free shot from 6 yards (which he should have scored, but saying that it was probably good defending) and then stamp on his foot.

Top defending

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 13 Aug 2007 11:21

Garry Mann It's obviously differing views, United forums slating you and can't believe your luck while you all seem to think the plan to defend, and only let us have 23 shots, worked quite well. That's a shot every 4 minutes so I guess your defending was actually quite good.

Compare and contrast the opinions of United fans with, errr, MotD team, the newspapers (good and bad).

Subjective vs objective.

If the United forums weren't slating us, I'd be surprised.

What did they think of Fulham last year?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 13 Aug 2007 11:22

Garry Mann
papereyes Likewise Duberry on Rooney.

Allow him a free shot from 6 yards (which he should have scored, but saying that it was probably good defending) and then stamp on his foot.

Top defending

And what did Rooney do after that?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 13 Aug 2007 11:22

0-0 - one point - job done.

I can see United only having 3 points come Sunday night.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 13 Aug 2007 11:22

How many times did United look like scoring? Once? Maybe twice?

They were largely restricted to long range efforts and cheap free kicks gratis of a ref doing everything in his power to get United the result.

Garry Mann

by Garry Mann » 13 Aug 2007 11:26

Schards#2

They were largely restricted to long range efforts and cheap free kicks gratis of a ref doing everything in his power to get United the result.

When Rooney missed a sitter from 6 yards
When Giggs volley hit the post
When O'Shea was through one on one
When Evra blasted wide from 8 yards
When USA saved well at Rooney's feet
When Ronaldo cut in but hit a shit shot straight at the keeper
Scholes weak header from 6 yards
Brown's header from the corner and the following melee

If we get them 8 chances in our next game we'll take at least two of them, one of the long rangers will probably go in too.
Last edited by Garry Mann on 13 Aug 2007 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 13 Aug 2007 11:27

Garry Mann
Schards#2

When Rooney missed a sitter from 6 yards
When Giggs volley hit the post
When O'Shea was through one on one
When Evra blasted wide from 8 yards
When USA saved well at Rooney's feet
When Ronaldo cut in but hit a shit shot straight at the keeper

If we get them 6 chances in our next game we'll take at least two of them, one of the long rangers will probably go in too.

Scholes' header as well. That was a decent chance.

Can we swap that with Evra's blast wide?

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 13 Aug 2007 11:27

For Man Utd to have 23 shots and still not look like scoring tells a huge story !

No reason for anyone to slag us off - and odd that United fans chose to do so as obviously they would have had the TV pundits explaining what was going on so should have understood.

The Rooney thing was odd - poor management to leave him on the pitch and it could cost United dear. You would think such a big club would have decent medical staff.

Hard to pick the league winners now, United seem to have spent a lot of money on not improving their team.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 13 Aug 2007 11:28

Garry Mann
Stranded We designed a tactical system that you failed to effectively breakdown and got a point.

Some days the ball just won't go in the net, yesterday was one of those days. You were outclassed, out played, out performed in every department. To try and convince yourself the point was as a result of any tactics rather than luck is laughable

I think you'll find that we, effectively, outplayed United. We turned up with a system and it worked. You turned up with a system and it didn't work. we went away with what we came for. You went away with what you didn't want. Yes, you had the vast majority of attacking play, but in the 2nd half you ultimately resorted to long range efforts. Very few opportunities were actually close in. The only one I remember was Scholes towards the end.

Garry Mann

by Garry Mann » 13 Aug 2007 11:28

Behindu United seem to have spent a lot of money on not improving their team.

And how many of those new signings started yesterday?

214 posts