A bit worrying

1418 posts
T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 13 Aug 2007 18:44

T.R.O.L.I.
Royal Lady But you see, Woodcote, I thought that last season most tickets didn't get to general sale.

I thought the email from the club to someone on here (might have been kiwiroyal) said that the only game that didn't go on general sale last year was Liverpool? Could be wrong though...

Found it:

kiwiroyal i emailed the club with a letter who passed it on to memberservice who repied with this
Durkan,
Every game last season reached the 5 point mark apart from the Liverpool game.
We expect a similar situation this season, so you should not have a problem
purchasing for the West Ham game when it reaches 5 points.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Aug 2007 18:47

So, you're proving my point then TROLERS?!

The desire for tickets to see RFC is, apparently, in decline this season. Less season tickets sold than last year, and now games going to general sale, whereas last year there was only one all season, apparently.

We're not saying, don't EVER expand, just that to expand at the end of next season is, in our opinions, maybe a tad too early.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 13 Aug 2007 18:49

Royal Lady So, you're proving my point then TROLERS?!

Indeedy, RL - backing it up with the factssssssssssss from the clubbbbbbbbb itselffffffffffff :wink:

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 13 Aug 2007 19:06

and the facts from the club ignored all the tickets wanted threads on here due to people not able to get tickets.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 13 Aug 2007 19:22

Royal Lady
We're not saying, don't EVER expand, just that to expand at the end of next season is, in our opinions, maybe a tad too early.

There can hardly be a better time than now to expand though....

The demand is patently there, and it's a long lead time to get the new stand in place. I can;t see the logic in missing out on the extra sales on the off chance that at some point we may get relegated.

PS the use of the phrase 'our opinions' is so sweet :wink:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Aug 2007 19:36

Surprisingly, Schards and I agree on this particular issue, on others we have quite differing opinions. However, one day, he will realise that I am right! :wink:

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 13 Aug 2007 19:56

T.R.O.L.I.
T.R.O.L.I.
Royal Lady But you see, Woodcote, I thought that last season most tickets didn't get to general sale.

I thought the email from the club to someone on here (might have been kiwiroyal) said that the only game that didn't go on general sale last year was Liverpool? Could be wrong though...

Found it:

kiwiroyal i emailed the club with a letter who passed it on to memberservice who repied with this
Durkan,
Every game last season reached the 5 point mark apart from the Liverpool game.
We expect a similar situation this season, so you should not have a problem
purchasing for the West Ham game when it reaches 5 points.

Royal Lady So, you're proving my point then TROLERS?!

The desire for tickets to see RFC is, apparently, in decline this season. Less season tickets sold than last year, and now games going to general sale, whereas last year there was only one all season, apparently.

Isn't it the other way around? Every game reached the 5 point mark apart from Liverpool (which I assume sold out before that and not after), and as 5 points is what you get with a member card, and you have to have a member card to get a ticket thus having at least 5 points, this must be deemed as general sale. So, assuming Liverpool sold out before the 5 points mark and not after it, that was the ONLY game NOT to go on general sale last season.

The stadium was full for EVERY game, so whether they go to general or not, we could possibly do with some more seats. However, maybe 500 extra seats would do it. Now, where to put them...

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 13 Aug 2007 20:18

Rawlie19 The stadium was full for EVERY game, so whether they go to general or not, we could possibly do with some more seats. However, maybe 500 extra seats would do it. Now, where to put them...

That does miss the 2000 or so extra seats that 75% of the visiting teams would have sold, and the extra hospitality seats that could have been sold, and the large number of extra seats that could have been sold for probably 25% of the home games, and the lack of scope for any marketing to reach out to new fans at the moment.....

I'd have thought that getting a 30,000 crowd for most games would not be a huge task as long as we remain reasonably successful in this division.

All conjecture, and the 'do nothing' option will always have fans. I can;t see a businessman like JM wanting to turn money away continually though.

RL - I wasn;t implying you don't have your own opinion - the phrasing just made me smile !! Although to be honest I can;t recall you and Schards ever seeming to disagree much....

Kes

by Kes » 13 Aug 2007 21:13

Many fans are put off by attending games as getting tickets to games is a little more complicated than it use to be and dont want to have the hassle of queing for tickets or keep phoning the club..

I think it's a good idea to expand at the end of this season, should Reading keep their Premiership status. Many people I know without STs, and I'm sure its correct in many cases, they like to attend games on the spare of the moment. With the increased capacity this will be enable these type of fans to attend.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 13 Aug 2007 23:39

Royal Lady But you see, Woodcote, I thought that last season most tickets didn't get to general sale. That, surely, is the point. Like it or not, it appears that the paying public in Reading are not as keen to watch matches as they were last season.

As I've already said, this time last season the whole fan base was about to witness our first season in the top flight and most had already realised that they would not get to see it without a season ticket..........................and many insured they got one by buying up all the half season tickets the season before.

So, now we're back to the normal summer slow take-up which effects most clubs up and down the country.......................yet still there won't be many unsold seats on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, you and hubby remain wrapped up in the mentality of the "Reading public" whilst those who run this club set about building a stadium to accomodate a far wider audience........................thank God.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 13 Aug 2007 23:46

The 17 Bus Look Mr Woody it is blindingly obvious we do not need a bigger stadium, what we need is to up the price of current ST to be able to compete, £650 in the cheap stands would help, £750 in lower west, and £900 in upper west

Believe me, as long as Schards & RL pay £800 in the East, they're welcome to £900 from me in the Upper West.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 14 Aug 2007 12:14

Woodcote Royal
Royal Lady But you see, Woodcote, I thought that last season most tickets didn't get to general sale. That, surely, is the point. Like it or not, it appears that the paying public in Reading are not as keen to watch matches as they were last season.

As I've already said, this time last season the whole fan base was about to witness our first season in the top flight and most had already realised that they would not get to see it without a season ticket..........................and many insured they got one by buying up all the half season tickets the season before.

So, now we're back to the normal summer slow take-up which effects most clubs up and down the country.......................yet still there won't be many unsold seats on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, you and hubby remain wrapped up in the mentality of the "Reading public" whilst those who run this club set about building a stadium to accomodate a far wider audience........................thank God.

What evidence is there of a wider audience?

Season tickets, tickets for Man Utd away, Chelsea at home and Everton at home have all reached general sale. So anyone who wanted one could have got one. If there was a wider audience out there, they would be buying these tickets.

I'm happy to see how things progress through the season but would bet that nigh on every game, home and away, will also reach general sale because last year was thought to be a unique experience and this year, (and presumably in subsequent years), it won't be as special so there is not the same demand.

So why extend the stadium when demand is falling. It just doesn't seem worthwhile until a long term demand can be demonstrated. It simply isn't being demonstrated at the moment, demand is less because the premiership is no longer a one season in a lifetime experience.

As for the purile 'selfish' jibes, what is that all about? We've already established that anyone who wants a ticket can have one so I can't be accused of wanting to keep people out of my own private club or some garbage like that.

The only other argument is that the extention would result in reduced prices. I can only say IMHO - dream on. You might get the odd kid for a quid but given that the club doesn't seem interested in doing this for cup games when we are clearly not going to sell out, the evidence is that you would not. So before trotting out you silly little 'selfish' jibe again, try baking it up with some thought out opinions, assuming you have any.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 14 Aug 2007 12:20

Bigger ground allows the club to generate wider interest.... the short sighted approach of waiting to extend until we have 10,000 people writing to the EP complaining the can;t get in seems very odd.

I know lots of 'casual' fans who would love to go to a few games a season and would do so if they knew they could get a ticket but at the moment it isn;t really possible for large numbers to do that.

Let's wait until the holiday season is over before we start going on about demand 'falling'. Every year people raise this in August when they claim we are losing support whereas it's obvious that huge numbers of people are on holiday !

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 14 Aug 2007 12:22

Schards#2 So why extend the stadium when demand is falling. It just doesn't seem worthwhile until a long term demand can be demonstrated. It simply isn't being demonstrated at the moment, demand is less because the premiership is no longer a one season in a lifetime experience.

To be honest you don't really know that demand is falling and if it is how significantly. We cannot compete fnancially with other clubs in this division because we just don't have the capacity. You don't have to have the demand in place to expand but you do need it ready for when the demand is there.

Why on earth did we move from Elm Park to a 24,000 capacity stadium. Demand was probably falling at that point and we weren't selling out Elm Park. Under your theory we shold have either stayed at Elm Park or moved to a 15,000 capacity stadium. Wouldn't that have been great decision.

You need to plan for the future, not plan for where you are now.

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 14 Aug 2007 12:22

Powers that be are holding a meeting at the Mad Stad today to discuss the fall in demmand and ramifications of cancelling/delaying the extension work.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 14 Aug 2007 12:24

AF1 Powers that be are holding a meeting at the Mad Stad today to discuss the fall in demmand and ramifications of cancelling/delaying the extension work.

Why would they do that today when they will have little evidence to go on and are months away from having to make any decisions on the building work...

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 14 Aug 2007 12:25

Behindu Bigger ground allows the club to generate wider interest.... the short sighted approach of waiting to extend until we have 10,000 people writing to the EP complaining the can;t get in seems very odd.

I know lots of 'casual' fans who would love to go to a few games a season and would do so if they knew they could get a ticket but at the moment it isn;t really possible for large numbers to do that.

Let's wait until the holiday season is over before we start going on about demand 'falling'. Every year people raise this in August when they claim we are losing support whereas it's obvious that huge numbers of people are on holiday !

They can. Tickets usually end up on general sale. What is stopping them buying them?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Aug 2007 12:26

AF1 Powers that be are holding a meeting at the Mad Stad today to discuss the fall in demmand and ramifications of cancelling/delaying the extension work.

Really? I would be surprised at such a knee jerk reaction which could effect a change in policy.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 14 Aug 2007 12:27

Wycombe Royal
Schards#2 So why extend the stadium when demand is falling. It just doesn't seem worthwhile until a long term demand can be demonstrated. It simply isn't being demonstrated at the moment, demand is less because the premiership is no longer a one season in a lifetime experience.

To be honest you don't really know that demand is falling and if it is how significantly. We cannot compete fnancially with other clubs in this division because we just don't have the capacity. You don't have to have the demand in place to expand but you do need it ready for when the demand is there.

Why on earth did we move from Elm Park to a 24,000 capacity stadium. Demand was probably falling at that point and we weren't selling out Elm Park. Under your theory we shold have either stayed at Elm Park or moved to a 15,000 capacity stadium. Wouldn't that have been great decision.

You need to plan for the future, not plan for where you are now.

We moved from Elm Park because, if we ever made it to the premeirship, we had the potential to fill the new stadium.

What are you suggesting will happen to increase demand from this point?

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 14 Aug 2007 12:29

Schards#2
Behindu Bigger ground allows the club to generate wider interest.... the short sighted approach of waiting to extend until we have 10,000 people writing to the EP complaining the can;t get in seems very odd.

They can. Tickets usually end up on general sale. What is stopping them buying them?

Perception ?

Games are sold out every week, people who aren't regular fans believe there are no tickets (and in reality there aren't many that are available on general sale). There are no opportunities for the club to do promotions to get the 'new' fans in.
As long as the ground is too small to accomodate all those who want to go the extension is vital....

1418 posts